2nd 1 Year Extension Of Stay Based On Marrige ...

Hi All,

I am coming up to the end of my 1 year extension. My next date of Notification is Oct 20. That is the end of 1 year. I wish to apply for a 2nd extension.

Questions:

1. If I report on or about the 20th, will I get another 90 day period to apply for 2nd extension? Or do I need to start getting it together now?

2. Are the requirements the same as the first extension?

3. If my goal is permanent residency, I understand that I must be on one visa for three years. Correct? So, I need to re-extend, rather than get a new visa when I am in Nepal about the same time.

Any advice or helpful hints would be much appreciated. Thank you.

1. If your permit to stay date is Oct. 20 you have to do your extension on or before that date. Making a 90 day report does not extend your permit to stay.

2. Same Same

3. You have to be on 3 consecutive 1 year extension of stays for residency.

You will need a re-entry permit before you leave or you will loose your extension and only get a 30 day entry when you return if you don't. It will be valid for entry until Oct. 20.

Remember you will have a 30 day wait after applying for the extension. You should plan your trip to Nepal so it does not fall within those 30 days unless you get your extension done 30 days or more before the date your permit to stay ends. You go into a period of limbo when you are on those 30 days after your permit to stay ends meaning you cannot leave the country and keep your application valid.

Also if you make your trip before Oct. 20 and return you next report will be 90 days after your enter the country not the 20th.

1. If your permit to stay date is Oct. 20 you have to do your extension on or before that date. Making a 90 day report does not extend your permit to stay.

2. Same Same

You will need a re-entry permit before you leave or you will loose your extension and only get a 30 day entry when you return if you don't. It will be valid for entry until Oct. 20.

Remember you will have a 30 day wait after applying for the extension. You should plan your trip to Nepal so it does not fall within those 30 days unless you get your extension done 30 days or more before the date your permit to stay ends. You go into a period of limbo when you are on those 30 days after your permit to stay ends meaning you cannot leave the country and keep your application valid.

Also if you make your trip before Oct. 20 and return you next report will be 90 days after your enter the country not the 20th.

Joe or Litebeer

l am going for my 4th extension (based on marriage )in November, due on the 27th.. l want to apply on about the 8th then go back to Aus for my mums birthday then return after about 3 weeks,,, l have a re-entry permit ,,,, but reading this l cannot do it ,,,, is that correct ????

cheers

egg

2. Same Same

Joe or Litebeer

l am going for my 4th extension (based on marriage )in November, due on the 27th.. l want to apply on about the 8th then go back to Aus for my mums birthday then return after about 3 weeks,,, l have a re-entry permit ,,,, but reading this l cannot do it ,,,, is that correct ????

cheers

egg

I think you can leave the country as long as you have a re-entry permit and return before the under consideration stamp is finished. If you return later than when you have to go to immigraiton to get the extension you havbe to get a new visa.

Joe or Litebeer

cheers

egg

Try and do you application 30 or more days early. Then plan your trip so that you are here before the date on your 30 day stamp.

You can travel during the 30 day wait period up to the date that your permit to stay ends or the date on the stamp.

Your re-entry permit is only good until the 27th anyway so you have to be back before then.

Edited by ubonjoe

"Your re-entry permit is only good until the 27th anyway so you have to be back before then."

Will an old re-entry permit still be good if he has extended and is in the 'under consideration' period?

loose - tight

lose - find

Joe or Litebeer

cheers

egg

Try and do you application 30 or more days early. Then plan your trip so that you are here before the date on your 30 day stamp.

You can travel during the 30 day wait period up to the date that your permit to stay ends or the date on the stamp.

Your re-entry permit is only good until the 27th anyway so you have to be back before then.

thanks for that guys ,,, l just hit the panic button a bit prematurely ,,, l do have a 90 day report coming up soon , so l will confirm what l can and cannot do then ,,, doing the extension 30 days earlier seems to be the logical choice ,,,, whichever way l go l dont think it will be a problem ,,,,

thanks for the replies

cheers

egg

The conditions for a marriage extension of stay may not be the same as last year. You must have 400k in your name only for 3 months period to application (or use the 40k per month income method). You can not use wife income this year. Believe in October last year they were still accepting wife income.

Edited by lopburi3

A re-entry permit is only valid durring your current permission to stay. Once you are in your under consideration period it will probably no longer be valid.

Probably as I'm not entirely sure, but it is how I interpret it.

The under consideration stamp does not change your permit to stay date. So a re-entry permit would still be valid.

When the problem starts is when you are in the limbo period after your permit to stay ends. You can't leave without loosing your application because you no longer have a valid permit to stay date. If you leave and come back you would have a new permit to stay date from either a visa or exempt entry. So it would mean starting all over again.

Just to clear it up a little. Will be back from Nepal before my current permission to stay expires. I will be back by to 12th. Can I make my application in the last week of my current permission to stay. Will have to get my documents ready before I go, then apply upon return......chai mai?

No problem to do your extension when you get back. You can do it up to the last day but of course that is not a good idea.

I said same same before. It is the same unless you used your wifes income before. That in now not allowed.

"The under consideration stamp does not change your permit to stay date."

Isn't the 'under consideration' date giving permission to stay until then?

In the OP's case, if he extends on Oct 18, he'll get a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Doesn't that mean that immigration has given him until about 17 Nov to legally stay here? That sounds a lot like permission to stay to me.

What am I missing?

If that wasn't intended to be permission to stay, wouldn't they require everyone to file for extensions more than 30 days prior to the current p-t-s stamp date?

Not trying to argue with you UJ, just trying to clarify this in my mind.

The under consideration stamp is not an extension it does not change your permit to stay. When you go on the stamped date your new permit to stay is one year from the date of your original permit to stay. That's why I call it being in limbo if you go beyond your permit to stay date during the 30 days.

The under consideration stamp is not an extension it does not change your permit to stay. When you go on the stamped date your new permit to stay is one year from the date of your original permit to stay. That's why I call it being in limbo if you go beyond your permit to stay date during the 30 days.

So in the case of the OP his permission to stay expires 20th Oct. He applies for extension on 12th Oct and gets 30 day under consideration stamp to around 11th Nov. From 21 Oct to 11th Nov he has no "legal" permission to stay in the country. So what if he is stopped by the police in the limbo period? If what is being said here is correct (and I'm not saying it isn't), then surely everyone would be renewing their extensions (based on marriage) on the 30th day before expiry of permission to stay? I'm just asking here for clarification/information, and am not being confrontational.

Edited by thaiphoon

I am in that Limbo period now myself at the moment because I didn't get my extension done at the 30 days before date.

The under consideration stamp makes your stay legal as far as immigration is concerned. They even state that the date on the stamp does not end the under consideration period it's just a date to go back to see if your extension has been approved. So if it is not ready on that date you don't need a new stamp.

I think it would take a bit of talking and explaining to get a cop to understand that you are legal. But most police that would be stopping you don't have a clue about immigration stamps and etc. anyway. Since the stamps are not in Thai there is good chance that most could not even understand what they said.

Edited by ubonjoe

The only thing that bothers me about it is what if something came up and I had to leave for some reason.

Unless I was real close to the report back date. I would probably go back and get a 60 day extension with a re-entry permit so at least I wouldn't have to get a visa while I was out of the country. Just leave use the re-entry and apply for the one year again.

I think most immigration offices will give you a new date. There was a topic before about Pattaya immigration not doing it for 2 members. One was pretty upset about it until his lawyer contacted immigration and they said it was not a problem

"The under consideration stamp is not an extension it does not change your permit to stay. When you go on the stamped date your new permit to stay is one year from the date of your original permit to stay."

Regardless of what you call it, it legally extends your stay in Thailand. You are permitted to stay longer.

What if, for whatever reason, your 1 year extension was denied. Would that make you on overstay from the date your last 1 year extension expired? I think the majority of people would answer "no" to that question.

Again, that sounds like the time you were permitted to stay here was extended for that short time, pending a longer extension when finalized.

I suppose it's just a matter of definitions, and not worth losing any sleep over.

Edited by TerryLH

Quasi extension would another thing to call it.

You would not be in an overstay.

If denied they probably would do is give you another 7 days to leave the country or appeal the decision. But I have never heard of anybody being denied the extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

I was, back in about 1996. They gave me the 7 days to leave the country or refile.

I didn't need to appeal because it was denied because of a missing tax document. Once I had that, I just gave them everything again and proceeded from there.

Okay here's another gray area once you have applied for permanent residence how do they allow you to stay in the country while the application is under consideration. Come on mods show your stuff. I know its not the same as above so how is it different.

Okay here's another gray area once you have applied for permanent residence how do they allow you to stay in the country while the application is under consideration. Come on mods show your stuff. I know its not the same as above so how is it different.

You will be under consideration during the process of your permanent residency application and I believe you get a new temporary extension every 90 days.

Believe the answer is soemwhere in teh permanent residency thread, so you might want to look there.

A re-entry permit is only valid durring your current permission to stay. Once you are in your under consideration period it will probably no longer be valid.

Probably as I'm not entirely sure, but it is how I interpret it.

Still not really clear to me.

If your date of your permit to stay has passed and you stay on your consideration period, is it in this period OK to get a re-entry permit? And then to leave and return before the date that marks the end of your consideration period?

You cannot leave during the under consideration period without loosing your application if you have already gone befyond your permit to stay date.

You cannot get a a re-entry permit for a permit to stay that has already expired.