Chiangmai Immigration - Shed

Thailand

Just went to pick up some applications from CM immigration and the very pleasant outside covered seating area has been enclosed by a shed which on entering is dark & gloomy and full of unhappy faces pending their turn- or is it just me who is surprised by the new "improvements" ?

Got out as quick as possible, anything else changed in there, rules regs?

Just went to pick up some applications from CM immigration and the very pleasant outside covered seating area has been enclosed by a shed which on entering is dark & gloomy and full of unhappy faces pending their turn- or is it just me who is surprised by the new "improvements" ?

Got out as quick as possible, anything else changed in there, rules regs?

Did my 90 day reporting a couple of weeks ago. The new shed is awful, dark stuffy & seems cramped with those walls making it feel like a jail. The old & quaint outdoors style was much better, allowing breezes to help cool you a bit, and moving around was easier. Whoever thought this one up has never had to sit on the 'customer side' of the process. At least the staff are as helpful as usual. :)

Had the air on the other day and this morning the doors and windows were open so no fan.

Reminds me of a jail holding area. It is the thought that counts though and I'm sure that the idea was to make it a more pleasant and comfortable experience.

Went there late last week for 90 day reporting and transfer to a new passport. The enclosed room definitely has air conditioning, so it will be more bearable during the hot months. If you want / need to sit outside, there is still the coffee shop area. Of course you cannot hear being called there anymore.

As mentioned before, staff is as pleasant as ever in CM. It took me less than 90 minutes for both tasks including having to run back and forth for copies and missed copies.

I was there for 3 hours* last week to do my retirement extension. I actually preferred the previous open air set-up and never had a problem with heat. The problem that you get now is that half the people who enter/exit don't close the door - so you get the worst of both worlds.

Incidentally, this year they didn't want and just handed back the letter from my Thai bank confirming that I have an account with them and the balance (it has been asked for and duly processed 2 years running - even though my application is based solely on income).

* I made the mistake of arriving at 1.30pm and added my name to the sheet at the counter. Took over 2 hours before I was called to hand in the paperwork, but barely 40 minutes to process after that (including re-entry permit). Astonishing how many of the people before me didn't have their paperwork complete - delaying the process while they signed copies, went to get missing photocopies and got into involved discussions about points that are IMO detailed as clearly as you could wish on the Immigration website. That aside, if anything I thought the process was even smoother, more efficient/friendly/cheerful than previously.

I was there for 3 hours* last week to do my retirement extension. I actually preferred the previous open air set-up and never had a problem with heat. The problem that you get now is that half the people who enter/exit don't close the door - so you get the worst of both worlds.

Incidentally, this year they didn't want and just handed back the letter from my Thai bank confirming that I have an account with them and the balance (it has been asked for and duly processed 2 years running - even though my application is based solely on income).

* I made the mistake of arriving at 1.30pm and added my name to the sheet at the counter. Took over 2 hours before I was called to hand in the paperwork, but barely 40 minutes to process after that (including re-entry permit). Astonishing how many of the people before me didn't have their paperwork complete - delaying the process while they signed copies, went to get missing photocopies and got into involved discussions about points that are IMO detailed as clearly as you could wish on the Immigration website. That aside, if anything I thought the process was even smoother, more efficient/friendly/cheerful than previously.

Going in two weeks! Will get bank confirmation as it is sod's law they will want it. :)

They did your re-entry at the same time as retirement visa or two separate actions?- will be getting multi entry- hopefully at the same time!

Going in two weeks! Will get bank confirmation as it is sod's law they will want it. :)

They did your re-entry at the same time as retirement visa or two separate actions?- will be getting multi entry- hopefully at the same time!

In practice it seems to be two separate actions (and different windows/officers) - re-entry to follow completed extension of "permission to stay until x date" because they'll need that "x date" to set the expiry of the re-entry permit (only takes 5-10 minutes). Forms are available there, but I find it better to download them as Word docs and type in the details beforehand (and no need to make up dates of an upcoming exit if you don't have one planned).

Agree about the sod's law aspect. For the sake of 100 baht and 10 minutes wait in the bank, I'd rather have the letter and not need it than vice versa......

Edited by Steve2UK

This morning I easily acquired my fifteenth consecutive one-year retirement extension under the new Chiang Mai Immigration ‘Shed’. Happily, the shed wasn’t as bad as I had expected it to be; several air conditioners were running, keeping the enclosure cool, and the numerous foreign supplicants were generally well behaved. The immigration officers were a bit late in getting themselves organised but they were cheerful and helpful, as usual.

My bumf submission consisted only of the TM.7 with attached recent photo, a copy of the relevant passport pages, and the consular affidavit of income. It worked a charm.

thailand .

all re entry permits are issued at window 1

permissions to stay one year are issued at window 4... ( retirement visas are issued at window 3 )

you have to finnish with window 4 ( or 3 ) before you can go to window 1

the inside of the new waiting room hasnt changed at all so what you see in this pic is exactly what was there last week

hope this helps ... dave2

thailand .

all re entry permits are issued at window 1

permissions to stay one year are issued at window 4... ( retirement visas are issued at window 3 )

you have to finnish with window 4 ( or 3 ) before you can go to window 1

the inside of the new waiting room hasnt changed at all so what you see in this pic is exactly what was there last week

hope this helps ... dave2

Thanks, actually coming up for the 7th "retirement" visa, a babe in arms compared to Viceroy. :)

Had always thought that the rv and re-ntry were different actions/windows just misread what Steve had said. and I believe window 5 is 90 days reporting?