Expat Scot Mugged In Thailand Losing Fight For Life

churchill

Expat Scot Mugged In Thailand Is Fighting For Her Life

A Scots expat is fighting for her life after she was mugged by two thieves in Thailand.

Lydia Riach, 52, from Inverness, who lives in Bangkok with her husband, Dougie, was attacked by the men at the weekend.

Details only emerged yesterday of the incident. Mrs Riach, a mother of two, is on a life support machine in hospital.

Her daughter Patricia and son Roger were last night described as being "devastated" by the incident.

The attack was carried out by two men on a moped in Bangkok city centre on Saturday. One was driving while the other grabbed her handbag.

Mrs Riach was carried a considerable distance before being thrown to the ground and was knocked instantly unconscious as her head struck the pavement.

She was rushed to hospital and has been in a coma on a ventilator ever since.

Nicol Adie, Patricia's husband, said: "It is a really difficult time for the family and we would like to be left alone and our privacy respected."

A family friend, who did not wish to be named, said: "It doesn't sound very good for Lydia. The family are fearing the worst."

Another said: "Everyone in Inverness knew the family."

Mrs Riach had worked as a part-time teacher and also worked in supermarkets in Inverness. She had recently returned to Inverness to visit her grandchildren.

The family friend added: "It is tragic something like this has happened to her. She was devoted to her family and loved returning to Inverness to see them."

Mr Riach is a past Scottish rally champion, and is honorary life president of the Highland Car Club. He is also a founding director of Caledonian Thistle Football Club, and was also a keen curler.

The family friend continued: "He was at one time a very, very good rally driver. He was pretty big in rallying.

"He worked for quite a number of people. He was a good salesman, working for the likes of Arnold Clark and John Weir in car sales."

-- theherald.co.uk 2009-09-01

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My sincere heart felt symapthies go out to this poor family. I do hope that this innocent lady will make a good recovery.

It appears that these moped/scooter/motorcycle gang thieves are operating all over Thailand. Anyone carrying a hand bag or such, or even wearing gold neck jewellery are easy prey for these *********.

What can one say when confronted with a tragedy like this, save that I hope for the best.

And please, to those that would seek to downplay the horrific nature of this attack with comments like "But it happens in XXX". it still doesn't make this any less a disgusting and brutal attack. Always the same scenario though, with women and the elderly targeted by these miscreants.

This "trick" of bag-snatching from the back of a motorbike has been injuring tourists and Thais alike for years!

I personally know several people injured by these scum, who know full well there are going to hurt people by deliberately causing the victims motorbikes to crash.

Perhaps this poor Scottish lady's injuries might be the tipping point. There are many ways, chiefly informants I would think. for the police to catch the perps. It is frustrating to see the Thai government fail to protect the people, both foreign and Thai. Not to mention the self-interest of protecting a revenue stream from tourism. Each of these events is talked about by the victims and results in a perceived bad crime problem in Thailand.

A tragedy for sure.

My thoughts and prayers for the lady and her family.

We are getting these scum thieves down here too,

Why they can't pack it in if the mark resists strongly I ll never know.

But we must assume as times stay tough that this type of thing

will not stop soon, not in a bad ecconomy nor with this nationalist anti-farang talk of late.

Terrible story, I understand these kinds of purse/jewelry snatches are getting more and more common. Sympathies to her family and here's hoping she recovers fully.

Yeah My wife was mugged walking home from work on Soi 20(Sukhumvit) ,luckily she was only knocked to the ground and dragged for a brief moment though she lost her belongings and more importantly her love for the country.Sounds silly I know but it pretty frightening being pulled backwards along the ground by a thug on a motorbike!

Made out a Police report but the lack of interest shown was discusting by the police officer at the station

Hope this lady make a speedy recovery.

It's indeed an very sad story. My sincere sympathies to the family.

There are other ways to grab a bag without causing so much harm to the victim (not that I condone the practice under any circumstances, of course. Also shan't go into these methods here for obvious reasons :) ).

Edited by WaiWai

Police say there's nothing they can do about.

That's why the overhaul of the police department is way overdue :)

will it ever happen though? doubtful. The world needs a place you can come do anything in relative luxury, and the people here don't notice that they're being exploited. There is no need to change, there isn't even a popular voice abdicating it anymore(Thaksin)... The system wins.

so very sorry to hear this....thoughts and prayers with her...

be careful of motorcyle snatchers...just a few weeks ago, I was walking along Soi Langsuan.....

a group of Thai males were happily eating and drinking at a sidewalk venders table and suddenly a motorcycle (with a helmeted driver) snatched what I believe was a mobile phone on on the table...the motorcyle immediately speed away (weaving between some cars driving at normal speed)....

they screamed and yelled after the motorcyle, but the snatch was much to quick to do anything...

it happened suddenly out of the blue....

I would imagine these types of incidences would increase during higher unemployment times (as in the present recession)...

of course, during incidences, victims can be injured while tuggng back or being tangled on a handbag or similar items...

Woman injured in Bangkok mugging

A woman who moved from Inverness to Thailand has been seriously injured after being mugged on a Bangkok street.

Lydia Riach and her husband Dougie, a former director of Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC, had started a new life in South East Asia.

Mrs Riach was pulled to the ground after a man on the back of a motorcycle grabbed her handbag.

It was understood that she was on a life support machine following the weekend's incident.

Mrs Riach gave up her job at Tesco's Inshes store in Inverness about a year ago to join her husband in Thailand.

The couple who are both in their late fifties decided to start a new life in South East Asia after Mr Riach was offered a job in Bangkok.

He was one of the first directors of Inverness Caledonian Thistle and was closely involved with Culloden Rotary Club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotlan...nds/8231143.stm

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 01/09/09

quote "As usual nothing in the English language press".....come guys stop blaming these guys; the bngkok post even managed to print madona's visit to the wall in jerusalem twice in to-day's edition.....so many editors, but they seem to be all parked on the popular inactive posts.

These type of muggings have been going on for years, and some areas are obviously worse than others. It is not some thing unique to Thailand though, opportunistic gutless thieves are worldwide. You need to be constantly alert, if things get worse economically then even more so.

Very sad to hear about this poor lady being targeted, like all here I hope she pulls through to rejoin her family.