Suvarnabhumi, No More Pain In The Rear

george

Suvarnabhumi, no more pain in the rear

BANGKOK: -- Travellers at Suvarnabhumi Airport will no longer wait on uncomfortable seats, thanks to an upgrade that tackles one of passengers' most frequent complaints.

Upholstered seats will make Suvarnabhumi more passengerfriendly. AoT is spending 12.17 million baht to upholster the 18,466 grey metal seats in its 51 waiting lounges and 12 bus gates. It will also add 500 padded seats in other areas.

Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) is spending 12.17 million baht to upholster the 18,466 grey metal seats in its 51 waiting lounges and 12 bus gates with artificial leather and padding.

At the same time, the company will add 500 padded seats in other areas including the terminal's fourth-floor departure hall and third-floor hall.

Upholstered seats are one of the passenger-friendly features being rolled out at the airport as it strives to enter the top ten in the Geneva-based Airports Council International's (ACI) rating this year, said Nirandra Theeranartsin, general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

AoT has already provided a free internet service at departure gates through 126 kiosks. By mid-September AoT also plans to have introduced a free WiFi service for passengers who have passed the immigration check areas.

In addition, AoT will introduce more free water dispensers throughout the terminal.

So far, about one-third of existing seating has been upholstered. By October this year all seats will have a new look, which will come in seven colours including pink and purple.

The 500 additional seats will be installed between September and December this year, Mr Nirandra, also AoT's senior executive vice-president, told the Bangkok Post.

AoT had earlier placed 1,400 padded seats with blue covers from Don Mueang Airport at Suvarnabhumi to address frequent complaints of insufficient seating at the new airport.

Suvarnabhumi moved from 40th position in ACI's 2007 rating to 28th in 2008 and then to 19th place this year.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-09-01

By mid-September AoT also plans to have introduced a free WiFi service for passengers who have passed the immigration check areas.

Hey, how did *that* slip in under the radar? That's a HUGE improvement, IMHO.

(Hmmm, the cynic in me DOES notice no reference to *which* September.... :) )

By October this year all seats will have a new look, which will come in seven colours including pink and purple.

Finally, some *color* in that warehouse of a terminal besides grey!

Were the uncomfortable grey ones put in to try and force passengers into the overpriced restaurant's and coffee shops, where you should get a more comfotable seat ??

Will be interesting to see where they place the new more comfortable chairs.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Good news indeed. Always said swampy was nowhere near as comfortable/user friendly as Don Muang. Those bare metal seats are uncomfortable & often cold to the touch.

Next they need to fix that dismal headache inducing dismal subdued lighting at he gates.

Were the uncomfortable grey ones put in to try and force passengers into the overpriced restaurant's and coffee shops, where you should get a more comfotable seat ??

Will be interesting to see where they place the new more comfortable chairs.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

In fairness, the food selection is somewhat better than many comparable airports and the pricing is significantly better than that found in western airports. (By pricing I mean in comparison to airport prices vs comparable places away from the airport.) BKK's price differential is usually within 10% whereas it can be 25%++ in a lot of airports in the EU and North America. However, the seating in all those BKK eateries is of the hard plastic variety with minimal padding.

Padded seats have shorter lifespans and are harder to keep clean. A year from now, people will be complaining about the grease & sweat stains left behind by leaky travelers.

- Good news about the seats.

- The free internet kiosks are hit and miss. Still many hand written (Thai only) signs indicating 'out of order'.

- Ninth place on a global ratings listing! Sorry but I can't believe this. Swampy is way way down the list compared to Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, etc etc. Not even close.

I wonder what the measurement criteria is for the list where they supposedly got ninth place?

- Good news about the seats.

- The free internet kiosks are hit and miss. Still many hand written (Thai only) signs indicating 'out of order'.

- Ninth place on a global ratings listing! Sorry but I can't believe this. Swampy is way way down the list compared to Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, etc etc. Not even close.

I wonder what the measurement criteria is for the list where they supposedly got ninth place?

the questions is, which and how many airports have you seen actually ?

yeah sure, we all know that Hong Kong and Singapore are hard to beat, but what really comes after that ? maybe KUL, MUC and VIE.... but then that's it (don't know those Korean airports though, they get good ratings as well)

but I still would prefer BKK over Pudong at all times, for example....

and with a FREE-WIFI to come, I am really looking forward to use Swampy again.... as I do 15-20 times a year without any complaints....

certainly many of the Internet-kiosks will be "out of order" after a short time, but more often than not the reason is, that users of this free service are doing stupid things with and to those computers.

plenty of broken computers at "free internet kiosks" can be found in Singapore and Frankfurt as well.....

Suvarnabhumi, no more pain in the rear

BANGKOK: -- Travellers at Suvarnabhumi Airport will no longer wait on uncomfortable seats, thanks to an upgrade that tackles one of passengers' most frequent complaints.

Upholstered seats will make Suvarnabhumi more passengerfriendly. AoT is spending 12.17 million baht to upholster the 18,466 grey metal seats in its 51 waiting lounges and 12 bus gates. It will also add 500 padded seats in other areas.

Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) is spending 12.17 million baht to upholster the 18,466 grey metal seats in its 51 waiting lounges and 12 bus gates with artificial leather and padding.

At the same time, the company will add 500 padded seats in other areas including the terminal's fourth-floor departure hall and third-floor hall.

Upholstered seats are one of the passenger-friendly features being rolled out at the airport as it strives to enter the top ten in the Geneva-based Airports Council International's (ACI) rating this year, said Nirandra Theeranartsin, general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

AoT has already provided a free internet service at departure gates through 126 kiosks. By mid-September AoT also plans to have introduced a free WiFi service for passengers who have passed the immigration check areas.

In addition, AoT will introduce more free water dispensers throughout the terminal.

So far, about one-third of existing seating has been upholstered. By October this year all seats will have a new look, which will come in seven colours including pink and purple.

The 500 additional seats will be installed between September and December this year, Mr Nirandra, also AoT's senior executive vice-president, told the Bangkok Post.

AoT had earlier placed 1,400 padded seats with blue covers from Don Mueang Airport at Suvarnabhumi to address frequent complaints of insufficient seating at the new airport.

Suvarnabhumi moved from 40th position in ACI's 2007 rating to 28th in 2008 and then to 19th place this year.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-09-01

:D true, no more pain in the rear. but what about the pain in looking for a trolley inside the check-in after immigration ??? that's another real pain! also, the limited free seats inside the airport after check in is another pain! what will happen when the airport returns to full swing come this highly hopeful high :D season? isn't the target for the new airport being some 70 million tourists a year? what is 18,466 seats, padded or not, for some 0.8 million tourists a month?????????? what about the broken and the skimpy number of trolleys??????? :)

Edited by topben

Good news indeed. Always said swampy was nowhere near as comfortable/user friendly as Don Muang. Those bare metal seats are uncomfortable & often cold to the touch.

Next they need to fix that dismal headache inducing dismal subdued lighting at he gates.

:) ....and the never-to-be-found trolleys if you check in at the "wrong" immigration counter to board an out-going flight :D

I have flown in and out of BKK over 30 times per year since its opening.

In all fairness it has very slightly improved since its opening ( mind you at that time it was an absolute disgrace)

Nevertheless it will go down in history as the absolute testament to the ravages of corruption on the Thai economy.

What could have become the hub of aviation in south east asia , will never reach that status, no matter how much lipstick they put on that ugly pig's face.

Still eons away form catching up to SIN, KUL, ICN and HKG though..

What super-duper features of these airports holds you in such thrall?

Frances' Charles Degaul airport should take a lesson

No. YOU take a lesson and use ANOTHER European hub... like Amsterdam!

That fetid, dank relic called Don Muang? Talk about low-lighting. And it smelled like a wet dog even on a sunny day.

Maybe you need some glasses..."My eyes are dim I cannot see, I have no brought my specs with me..."

What happened to repairing and increasing available toilets?

Sorted already. There's so many pissoirs nowadays, you must have a medical problem if the gaps between them appear so huge. (PS. Try incontinence pants).

My pet gripe was the signage, or lack thereoff, those ceiling mounted black on white illuminated signs were always too small or obscured by some piece of the unique airport lighting or structure. However, I noticed recently the large blue & white, full-height direction signs that have been added to the plate glass walls.

I do agree that the main corridor with wall-to-wall duty free and retail outlets is overkill. Need more restful areas for the proles IMHO. Keep them off the floor as I make my way to the lounge.

My grateful botty is blowing kisses already...

12.17 Mio THB for your ass, but a free internet cannot be granted :) . Even at rip-off prices... :D and you have no seat to sit when on internet! Poor management, again a TIT!!! :D

By mid-September AoT also plans to have introduced a free WiFi service for passengers who have passed the immigration check areas.

Hey, how did *that* slip in under the radar? That's a HUGE improvement, IMHO.

(Hmmm, the cynic in me DOES notice no reference to *which* September.... :) )

Last week I tried to use the Bangkok Airways WiFi at thier lounge. Sign said "show your departure ticket" I had an arrival ticket from the day before, and was flying out on Thai that day, so they said "cannot, policy" . I said that is a bad policy because now I am never going to fly Bangkok Air again. (I wan't in the best of moods) I went over to the very nice people at the Thai and business lounge and they said I could just sit outside the pounge and catch the signal, no password. Great!. Because the CAT internet cafe was 100 baht for 20 minutes, Holy shit!!

I also did Bangkok Air a service by updating their fleet information in the back of their in flight magazine. "We have 23 aircraft servicing Thailand." Umm, no you don't....

Edited by Scubabuddha

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Speaking of pricing... The price of the food in the food court in the Domestic Terminal is on the pricey side. I can of coke ranges from 100 baht to 120 baht! And the percentage of Thai customers seems to be about 2% or less. That tells me that the prices are waaaay out of line for the locals.

TheWalkingMan

Any free thinking person would view this as an olive branch, or maybe at least a bresh of fresh air..

Yet still the hardcore doomsday TV posters still find something to whinge and be negative about

Cleary an effort has been made. If going by the problematic logic and thinking that (some) of you attribute to ALL Thais then surely it would be a case of "once the farang get here,who cares about the condition of the airport..not as if they'll turn around and go home"

If you are willing to bag Thais at every wrong turn then surely some of you can also give a little credit when due...so???

At least THIS government recognizes the importance of some user friendly international standards and is spending money on such..INSTEAD of creating a huge budget for an airport and THEN shuffling the contracts under the table to "family business" who pocket the money and make the LOS a worldwide laughing stock.

Sadly though, the airport has been a "2 bob, made in china watch" that even the many convention centres here would put to shame.

I feel sorry for Thai politics..even if this government lasts any period of time, all others that follow (honest or otherwise) will be paying for the SINS of TakSIN for years

At least a few good guys are making an effort

Any free thinking person would view this as an olive branch, or maybe at least a bresh of fresh air..

Yet still the hardcore doomsday TV posters still find something to whinge and be negative about

Cleary an effort has been made. If going by the problematic logic and thinking that (some) of you attribute to ALL Thais then surely it would be a case of "once the farang get here,who cares about the condition of the airport..not as if they'll turn around and go home"

If you are willing to bag Thais at every wrong turn then surely some of you can also give a little credit when due...so???

At least THIS government recognizes the importance of some user friendly international standards and is spending money on such..INSTEAD of creating a huge budget for an airport and THEN shuffling the contracts under the table to "family business" who pocket the money and make the LOS a worldwide laughing stock.

Sadly though, the airport has been a "2 bob, made in china watch" that even the many convention centres here would put to shame.

I feel sorry for Thai politics..even if this government lasts any period of time, all others that follow (honest or otherwise) will be paying for the SINS of TakSIN for years

Very well said.

Can i fall in love with you? :):D

Sarcasm i hope evident?

:D I am married and very happy which is more than i can say for many on here.

Take note i said many, Not all or most.

Sorry i also ment to say i agree.

Edited by cyb

Is it really such a big deal?

Most check-in's for flights open 3 hours before flight time. Unless you are first in the queue, check-in takes some time, then you have to queue at immigration, then you have a snack at BK or a coffee-bar, then you might sit down for about maximum 1 hour, besides looking at Duty Free, or visiting the toilets, then you must proceed to the gate 45 minutes before boarding.

So unless you are a passenger in transit, padded seats don't matter, and if I had more than 3 hours to wait I'd pay and go in a lounge.

WUNNAFULL NEWS.

As a regular thru Swampy, I arrive late and fly out early to HKT.

There have always been a few soft seats on 2nd level, tho' last trip they had been moved.

Having a soft seat to kip on whilst waiting those 6 hours, I am deeply grateful.

Thanks a lot AOT.

Nutha thing, summun grizzling about NO trollies once thru' checkin and immigration.

I fly a lot in S.E.A, neva have I seen trollies once airside, or airside anywhere else on the planet for that matter.

People needing such, must be those with excess cabin baggage who hog the overhead locker space.