The Word Farang

Nip

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Nigga" can be used towards people of any race, it's a copula similar to "dude" or "bro" or "man".

I'm not buying this statement. These days any white person who calls a black man "Nigga" is almost always going to be treated as if he called him the other word and is most likely going to end up in a fight or worse. This is particularly true if you live in a city with a large black population like, Chicago, Oakland or New Orleans.

The statement is not up for sale in the first place.

Please re- read my post above please. I did not say "Any white man"..

Interestingly enough, lot of young white guys who are into African American culture call each other that now, and I've even seen Hispanic and Asian guys use it too - in certain areas and situations though.

And it can be used toward black people by Hispanic and Asians, but for whites, only if they know they black guy(s) really well, and understands African American culture,and how and when it's used. ( even then, Non-black nonwhites tend to have more leeway to use it, than whites for the obvious reasons..)

While I don't use that derivation of the "N" word , I do know what is meant by the people who do.

Capiche?

BTW...You are dating yourself with the terms "dude" and 'bro". Hardly anyone under the age of 50, either black or white uses either of those two terms to refer to black people any more. They were used quite frequenty however in the old 60's television show "Mod Squad" which was generally considered completely phony and uncool by just about everyone of any race who ever saw it.

Uhmmm.. No.

Yes, I know that no one uses "bro" , let alone "dude" to refer to black people.

I was just using the term "dude" and "bro" as an linguistcal analogy to the term “Nigga”.

And “Mod Squad” is before my time. I'm not over the age of 50.

Sorry.

I disagree. Nigga and Nigg* sound the same with the African American subculture (gangsta/gangster) accent. Have the same Nigga calling individual say both N words and listen-they'll be identical. Same with gangsta and gangster...sound the same, different spelling (only recently) but the intent is to say gangster mimicked in spelling by the accent.

Huh? :)

No. If they want to differentiate between the words, they will say it differently.

Trust me. They would *not* and *do* not sound identical. I lived in the community all my life. I can safely say that you haven’t . So I’m pretty sure that I know exactly what I’m talking about.

That is the difference.

It's the sound of the same word. Both of those words sound identical. Nigga and Nigge* are no different. I do not believe it's appropriate for any N word to be used mainstream but this is a way of expression and definitely freedom of speech. Now ask someone who's calling their homey a nigga and ask them to immediately say the other N word; they'll sound identical as gangsta and gangster spoken since R's in that subculture are not pronounced...it's the same spoken word but a technicality spells it different now getting others to believe it's a different word. I don't call people honka....the word originated the same and excuses made a different spelling to justify and rationalize its use in response to overwhelming voiced offense. If you look at the history of this usage; it's always been the same word until this past decade someone decided to spell it to the accent to continue to rationalize its use.

Look, Once again.I said that I don’t condone or rationalize the use of the words, just showing that there is a use and difference between the words, that most whites do not really understand, since they are outside of that subculture. And once again, If they ( Those young black guys in that subculture of African Americans ) want / wish to to differentiate between the two words, they will say it differently. And it will sound different, “Accent” or not.

I do agree this "Nigga" word is just an excuse for one race to excuse its exclusive use while all other races are barred from using it. Say the word "Nigga" and die if you're not from African American heritage. Both words sound different when we say it but when the black subculture that doesn't pronounce its R's (it's a nationwide subculture accent regardless of residence no other race carries in the US). The words are really Nigge* and Nigge* then they say "It's a different word" thereby prohibiting others without the accent from saying it while pronouncing nigge* and nigga identically. It's original use and intent was Nigge*.

Most find it highly offensive but the rap/gansta/gangster subculture got it into mainstream black american use only with the intent to offend. Spelling it with an accent as Nigga is poor job of rationalizing a highly charged and racist word at the same time they take offense when anyone else uses it regardless if they say it with or without the R, you'll still die if you say it and you're not black.

Deciding to spell it with an accent to rationalize it's exclsive use to black Americans since that subculture still carries its own accent regardless of residence....still doesn't make it right.

Once again, I disagree with your statement.

And as I said above, They can pronounce their "R” 's when they want to or make a point.

And once again , I disagree with your assumption that “no other race carries ( "nationwide" black subculture accent an all ) in the US.

I take it that you haven’t been around teenagers right here in New York City then.

Many Hispanic, Indian, Asian , even urban white kids have it here.

BTW, From this post , I do sense that classic angry resentment here along the lines of the “ Why can’t I say it if they can say it “ line of thought often found amongst many angry Gleen Beck’s, Bill O’reilly’s, Sean Hannity types...

Once again…

Interestingly enough, lot of young white guys who are into African American culture call each other that now, and I've even seen Hispanic and Asian guys use it too - in certain areas and situations though.

And it can be used toward black people by Hispanic and Asians, but for whites, only if they know they black guy(s) really well, and understands African American culture,and how and when it's used. ( even then, Non-black nonwhites tend to have more leeway to use it, than whites for the obvious reasons..)

While I don't use that derivation of the "N" word , I do know what is meant by the people who do.

:)

I do agree this "Nigga" word is just an excuse for one race to excuse its exclusive use while all other races are barred from using it. Say the word "Nigga" and die if you're not from African American heritage. Both words sound different when we say it but when the black subculture that doesn't pronounce its R's (it's a nationwide subculture accent regardless of residence no other race carries in the US). The words are really Nigge* and Nigge* then they say "It's a different word" thereby prohibiting others without the accent from saying it while pronouncing nigge* and nigga identically. It's original use and intent was Nigge*.

Most find it highly offensive but the rap/gansta/gangster subculture got it into mainstream black american use only with the intent to offend. Spelling it with an accent as Nigga is poor job of rationalizing a highly charged and racist word at the same time they take offense when anyone else uses it regardless if they say it with or without the R, you'll still die if you say it and you're not black.

Deciding to spell it with an accent to rationalize it's exclsive use to black Americans since that subculture still carries its own accent regardless of residence....still doesn't make it right.

Once again, for the third time:

Let me illustrate this further, so I won’t have to yet repeat myself yet again.

A ) Eminem can say it to his close African American friends, but he would not say it to Black people that he doesn’t know. Because he knows the culture. What he can do and not do.

B ) Even though J – lo is Hispanic, and not "white", she still got some flack for saying it in one of her songs, because she is a celebrity, and had to be shown as a role model. But there are tons of Puerto Rician girls saying it to their black girlfriends on the subway here in New York. How can they get away with that, and not white men? Because they know the culture.

C) Quentin Tarantino uses it in his movies and he even uses the variations . But he understands the culture and why and how it’s used for his rough-edged urban humor, and so he gets away with it. Note that I say that I do not condone this, and I do not think that It’s right ( he got lots of flack from Spike Lee because of this too ).

Now it will be completely different if you got any old white guy from Idaho, Kansas, "Wexhexfordshire", Uk, Udon Thani etc. out side of that subculture to do that. And that is the point.

Look, once again - I’m not saying that I condone this practice, or that it’s right. I’m just simply pointing out that :

1 ) despite the common misconception amongst most white people in America ( and most likely this forum ), only a subgroup and subcultures as - like white folks do, we also have many subgroups , so Not ALL black people say , believe or do this. It was originally used to purportedly reflecting (some would say exploiting and encouraging) authentic “ghetto” talk, which then in turn caught on with the masses of white Gansta rap fans, ( who do you actually think were buying all those millions and millions of Albums? ) who‘s parents in turn found out, and the rest is history.

( Kao Chai Mai? )

2) There are differences in the terms and usage that are lost with white people who are completely outside that subculture ( ie most, if not all of the people on this forum, I’m afraid ). Once again, that does not mean that it’s usage is right, but knowing and understanding how this practice came about will hopefully mitigate the common “ Why can’t I say it if they can say it “ type of resentfulness often seen by many angry white posters on internet forums when the subject of race is brought up.

The fact of the matter is, Just like the new US Attorney General Eric Holder said, most white people , especially in America , do not really talk to black people, let alone really know of any personally ( Which is kind of sad, I think, in this day and age ).

While I don't know about the UK, in America, the great majority of whites are pretty much socially isolated from African Americans, both culture and community. Even in the 21st century, in this "Post Racial" Age of Obama, they do not inter-act with us on a true daily personal level , one- to - one basis and only get bits and pieces of knowledge of us, often times of the negative, either from the MSN, TV, and Movies, print media, etc..

And from there, in that void so many racial misconceptions arise. Misconceptions ( As demonstrated on this and many other internet sites ) can easily be cleared up, only if there was only simple communication.

This interaction has to be done in person in order to truly work, not "virtually".

You can’t do it over the computer.

Willful ignorance can only take you so far.

Like I said before, I know it’s hard for most people her on this forum to do so, but if you have the opportunity, go and befriend some black people ( and not just spending five minutes talking to your “Black Friend” at the water cooler for five minutes. ) . If not, you have the entire internet at your disposal, you have access to terabytes of information, let alone even reading about in the topics in Black oriented forums. You really no longer have any excuse not to know.

Perspective...Try some.

Edited by Narachon

The blacks claimed the N word as their own

Same as Gay people claimed the word Queer. It drew the sting from the word.

("The Blacks"…. - If you're going to go that route, why not also say "The Gays"? :) )

Please re - read my First Post please. Here , I’ll help you.

But what I can't stand is when white and even some non-black people who bludgeon *all* black people in general simply because some black people use it.

So I while do admit there is a subset ( and I mean subset ) of African Americans that do use this term, like I said, mostly young men in the "inner city" ( and some pretending to be from the inner city ) into the "Thug Life" / "Gangsta" life , the vast majority us us do not.

BTW, The gay people that *I* know don’t like to be particularly called “queer” either. Some may feel that way, but I’m pretty sure not most - especially if they were called that in the past.

Look if your whole interaction with people of other cultures, etc. is what you watch on TV, stereotypical impressions, and a small group of people you worked with in one office, it will be skewed, plain and simple.

Only by truly knowing the language of the culture ( whether it is Gansta Rap - African American Subculture, or Issan dialect ) means knowing at least a little bit about the culture also and knowledge leads to understanding (not to be mistaken with agreeing with). Knowledge, understanding and diversity need to be projected as positives rather than negatives.

Try it.

I think it is also necessary to take into consideration the intent of the person saying it, often there is no malice and they are just ignorant. It is also the 'done thing' refer to us this way and all in all I am quite happy Thailand is not PC mad like in the UK.

So with you on that one, it is just crazy in the UK, you can't say this and can't say that at the risk of it may offend someone or something!!! Must say, it is a thing I like about Thailand, they are not embroiled in the PC claptrap that the UK has imported from the US and to the extreme. However, this thread alone is evidence alone that the more expats living in Thailand, it's gonna head the same way....

Get used to it.

If you can’t do that, just where are you going to go next?

Cambodia?

Burma?

China?

The times are a changing , so it's better for you to change with the times. A great many people like the above poster think they're about to lose “power”. The anti-PC mentality that is growing these days amongst these folks - the world is changing around them, demographically, politically, and socially, and they are totally helpless to stop that change. So their anger is boiling over. They seem to think the world still operates as if it's still 1850. The concept of progress isn't something they want to comprehend and they wish to keep that progress from marching forward in an effort to preserve their status quo position, if not back in their home countries, but in even in Thailand itself.

I think it's pretty sad these days that simply having to standing up against racism sexism, homophobia, etc. is seen as some mortal sin, especially in the eyes of some people. Hopefully that will change.

So Quit your anger, you just need to go with the flow.

For the meanings of words let us use an authoritive source.

For US and those who use American English, use Websters Dictionary.

For those who use the English as in Great Britain and the Commonwealth including the

Dominions of which Australia is one, use the OED or Oxford English Dictionary, this is available in an Australian version.

From the OED. Australia 6th Ed.

nigger n, 1 offens. black or dark-skinned person. 2 Aust=LUDERICK [spanish NEGRO]

As far as the Romanised Thai word "farang/falang" just regard it as a corruption of the French

and use the meaning as "foreigner" it is not in the OED.

When I am outside of my home country I am a "foreigner" as distinct from the local population.

I am a native of Europe but in Australia I am a White Man or a White Australian.

"He speaks the language like a native" means he speaks the language fluently.

"I intend to find the nigger in the woodpile" means I intend to find the source of the problem.

It is how you use the language, in formal use or colloqual use, terms that are offensive you do not generally use in polite conversation, but you can use them if you so wish.

The American term "son of a bitch" much better than "bastard" but that is my opinion only. They can be used as terms of endearment.

For the meanings of words let us use an authoritive source.

For US and those who use American English, use Websters Dictionary.

For those who use the English as in Great Britain and the Commonwealth including the

Dominions of which Australia is one, use the OED or Oxford English Dictionary, this is available in an Australian version.

From the OED. Australia 6th Ed.

nigger n, 1 offens. black or dark-skinned person. 2 Aust=LUDERICK [spanish NEGRO]

As far as the Romanised Thai word "farang/falang" just regard it as a corruption of the French

and use the meaning as "foreigner" it is not in the OED.

When I am outside of my home country I am a "foreigner" as distinct from the local population.

I am a native of Europe but in Australia I am a White Man or a White Australian.

"He speaks the language like a native" means he speaks the language fluently.

"I intend to find the nigger in the woodpile" means I intend to find the source of the problem.

It is how you use the language, in formal use or colloqual use, terms that are offensive you do not generally use in polite conversation, but you can use them if you so wish.

The American term "son of a bitch" much better than "bastard" but that is my opinion only. They can be used as terms of endearment.

I must be honest, if the girl is cute enough, she can pretty much call me anything :)

When I first came to thailand 8 years ago, I cringed and strongly objected to being called a Farang as I honeslty believed it to be racist. Now I understand that the Thais have been calling foreign people Farangs for centuries, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest now.

What does annoy me, is when people take the fun out of the Thais in their limited use of pronouciations and they write or say the word Falang

it only really bothers me if the person saying it actually knows my name... you know my name, use it!

Really i view it like the word Asian, yes i would use it to describe someone i was talking about, but if i knew their name i wouldn't ask his wife "Hi, how is the Asian?".

I don't care what they call me as long as they won't stop me fuc_king

คนจร

kon jon

stranger ; alien ; foreigner

I like this one!

I thought that it meant "poor person" (as in not much money). It does in the North, anyhow.

As far as farang being a derogatory term in and of itself - total bullshit. No more offensive than "American" for example, although I've heard that label spat out with such venom as to suggest otherwise as well. Methinks some people are getting just a little paranoid.

As far as farang being a derogatory term in and of itself - total bullshit. No more offensive than "American" for example, although I've heard that label spat out with such venom as to suggest otherwise as well. Methinks some people are getting just a little paranoid.

Unless someone starts with "you Americans......etc".

:)

No, seriously, I agree with you.

Many of my friends who like myself have been living in Thailand for many years find the word Farang to be at times offensive perhaps even racist?

Farang supposedly refers to a foreigner but when I look up the Thai dictionary I find the following;

ชาวต่างชาติ

chaao dtàang châat

foreigner ; alien

ฮวน

huan

alien ; foreigner

ชาวต่างประเทศ

chaao dtàang bprà-têt

foreigner ; alien

ต่างแดน

dtàang daen

exotic ; alien ; foreign ; remote

foreigner ; alien ; immigrant ; non-native

คนต่างชาติ

kon dtàang châat

foreigner ; alien

คนต่างด้าว

kon dtàang dâao

alien ; foreigner

คนต่างแดน

kon dtàang daen

foreigner ; alien

ต่างชาติต่างภาษา

dtàang châat dtàang paa-săa

foreign ; alien ; outlandish ; another nationalist or race foreigner ; alien

ต่างด้าว

dtàang dâao

alien ; foreigner ; outsider ; stranger foreign ; alien

นักเทศ

nák-têt

foreigner working in the ;

คนจร

kon jon

Call me tetchy if you wish but the word Farang from lips of many Thai's to me has the essence of a derogatory curse word and I think we demean one another from using the expression amongst ourselves and that we should find another word that expresses our status more eloquently! Anybody any suggestions?

Come on chaps, we are Westerners, and proud of our culture, our history, and our global contribution to every science section that exists, the whole world has benefited from this, moreover, as a result our global contribution our language has become the lingua franca spoken by billions across the globe, thus facilitating communication politically and commercially worldwide to the benefit of everyone.

Alright, so the Thais call us Farang, but what is the problem, the word is not offensive to our ears, whether they call us Farang, Satang, Boomerang, or whatever, its up to the Thais, and the Thais alone to classify and refer to foreigners in their society, no problem to us, just keep smiling, (our should that be laughing)

When you live in Thailand you are living on "the other side of the looking glass" (Alice in Wonderland). You either accept Thais as they are or leave. I often like to say that Thais are among the most prejudice (ethnocentric) people in the world; but they are probably the nicest "racists" you will ever meet - if you don't show attitude towards them. Whenever I am walking someplace and see a group of Thais staring at me with a sour look on their face, I look at them, smile and Sawadee them. Everytime, their faces break into a big smile and many Sawadee back. I would be afraid to try that approach anywhere else but in Thailand

By the way, the word Farang comes from the word Farang-sed, meaning French. Apparently, they were the first group of white skinned people the Thais came into regular contact with. Eventually, "sed" was dropped and Farang was used to refer to all white skinned people, similar to how we often use "Asian" to identitfy Thais, Chinese, Japanese and other people with similar features when we don't know what nationality they really are. Jai yen yen.

Edited by tonydabbs

. . In Thai culture referring to people by race is not nearly such a taboo practice as it is in western cultures. That's just the way it is. No group of people from an internet forum is ever going to be able to organise a successful effort to change that.

Relax and enjoy your time in Thailand.

--------------------

Agree 100% to what you say!! But in the beginning I did also felt that this always coming comment "falang" from everybody even small childs i.e. 4 years old.. was getting to my nerves. I did talk to some thais about it and they ALL assure me that for them it is NOT a bad word at all. Some times it can even be appreciative.

For Thais at least up here in Isaan it does only mean simply that the person is a foreigner like the thread said, meaning that we are different. I cannot get any upset of that any longer. Potatoe is called "man falang", measning the thing is coming from abroad originally.

Try to get used to it, it will never stop. and why should it really... I like the directness from the Thai in this matter. It is hard to understand them otherwise.

Many of my friends who like myself have been living in Thailand for many years find the word Farang to be at times offensive perhaps even racist?

Farang supposedly refers to a foreigner but when I look up the Thai dictionary I find the following;

ชาวต่างชาติ

chaao dtàang châat

foreigner ; alien

ฮวน

huan

alien ; foreigner

ชาวต่างประเทศ

chaao dtàang bprà-têt

foreigner ; alien

ต่างแดน

dtàang daen

exotic ; alien ; foreign ; remote

foreigner ; alien ; immigrant ; non-native

คนต่างชาติ

kon dtàang châat

foreigner ; alien

คนต่างด้าว

kon dtàang dâao

alien ; foreigner

คนต่างแดน

kon dtàang daen

foreigner ; alien

ต่างชาติต่างภาษา

dtàang châat dtàang paa-săa

foreign ; alien ; outlandish ; another nationalist or race foreigner ; alien

ต่างด้าว

dtàang dâao

alien ; foreigner ; outsider ; stranger foreign ; alien

นักเทศ

nák-têt

foreigner working in the ;

คนจร

kon jon

Call me tetchy if you wish but the word Farang from lips of many Thai's to me has the essence of a derogatory curse word and I think we demean one another from using the expression amongst ourselves and that we should find another word that expresses our status more eloquently! Anybody any suggestions?

Anyone who has lived here for any length of time as I have know that the Thais are extremely "Ethnocentric" or one might say, very 'bigoted". this is reflected on a daily basis in the constant use of the word "Farang" as well as the many 'one-sided' draconian laws that prevent 'Farangs" from enjoying equal treatment in many aspects of daily life. It's just a fact of life here and one can either accept it or leave, there are no other options.

Barrieoden

Edited by barrieoden

Ok here is my thai's viewpoint and what I have known from others all these times

Farang is not the automatic “F” word, unless someone dislikes you so… for some reason. You can also tell by the tone of their voice/looks/leering/smirk - if it’s being used as such a derogatory term or not.

Just like my family likes to call me “princess”, but when they’re mad at me for something they would call me “PRINCESS!!!!” or “Prrrrrrrrrinceeeeeeess“, or accompanied by certain looks………blah this’s when I know I should be in hiding or pai-hongnam or something quick!

Do you get my drift?…..SAME SAME

So don’t think too much, nothing into it really - just a generic term when addressing Caucasian appearance person.

Nothing degrading like when you call some immegrants "name the name" in the west.

Actually the word “farang” will automatically put you as the “upper class” status in thailand generally/most times,.....and everyone wants to serve you, UNTIL proven otherwise by your own actions.

Hope this helps a bit

Edited by mooncake

By the way, the word Farang comes from the word Farang-sed, meaning French. Apparently, they were the first group of white skinned people the Thais came into regular contact with. Eventually, "sed" was dropped and Farang was used to refer to all white skinned people, similar to how we often use "Asian" to identitfy Thais, Chinese, Japanese and other people with similar features when we don't know what nationality they really are. Jai yen yen.

This is only one theory of many about the origin of the word. To present it is as a definitive fact is misleading. Remember many words sounds alike in Thai and it doesn't mean they are related words, for example the words for dog and doctor.

Edited by Jingthing

Ok here is my thai's viewpoint and what I have known from others all these times

Farang is not the automatic “F” word, unless someone dislikes you so… for some reason. You can also tell by the tone of their voice/looks/leering/smirk - if it’s being used as such a derogatory term or not.

Just like my family likes to call me “princess”, but when they’re mad at me for something they would call me “PRINCESS!!!!” or “Prrrrrrrrrinceeeeeeess“, or accompanied by certain looks………blah this’s when I know I should be in hiding or pai-hongnam or something quick!

Do you get my drift?…..SAME SAME

So don’t think too much, nothing into it really - just a generic term when addressing Caucasian appearance person.

Nothing degrading like when you call some immegrants "name the name" in the west.

Actually the word “farang” will automatically put you as the “upper class” status in thailand generally/most times,.....and everyone wants to serve you, UNTIL proven otherwise by your own actions.

Hope this helps a bit

Wikipedia has an interesting definition of Caucasian race.

The term Caucasian race (also Caucasoid, Europid, or Europoid[1]) has been used to denote the general physical type of some or all of the indigenous populations of Europe, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, West Asia, Central Asia and South Asia.[2] Historically, the term has been used to describe the entire population of these regions, without regard necessarily to skin tone. In common use, the term is sometimes restricted to Europeans and other lighter-skinned populations within these areas, and may be considered equivalent to the varying definitions of white people.[3]

The concept of a Caucasian race is highly controversial today. It is rejected by many academics and political activists who view any system of categorizing humanity based on physical type as an obsolete 19th Century racism,[4] and human genome studies have shown that there is no single and simple genetic definition equivalent to "Caucasian".[5]However the term continues to be widely used in many scientific and general contexts, usually with its more restricted sense of "white".

Wikipedia has an interesting definition of Caucasian race.

Oii..forget about WIKI... :)

Just listen to ME, ...am from the ground-zero reporting here.. :D

So what does ME have to say about this? 'The concept of a Caucasian race is highly controversial today. It is rejected by many academics and political activists who view any system of categorizing humanity based on physical type as an obsolete 19th Century racism'

This is only one theory of many about the origin of the word. To present it is as a definitive fact is misleading. Remember many words sounds alike in Thai and it doesn't mean they are related words, for example the words for dog and doctor.

My family name is Fragkiadakis (Φραγκιαδάκης) and it means small French (fragk for French , and the rest for small).Would it be correct to say farang lek could be my Thai family name?

TNX