Luxury On The Cheap...

petepete

you can get by on five hundred bt a day by yourself excluding rent and utilities.

I could do it on 200

- 30 bt - cow car moo (thai leg of pork on rice with vegtables)

- 140 bt - beer

- 30 bt - rubber johnnies.

Easy.

How do the rubbers taste? I suppose enough nam prik and just about anything tastes the same. Bit chewy though...

Strawberry flavour seems a favourite over here.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS: Suggestions for good massage places especially welcome. The g/f and I phut leh aan enough phasa thai that we can probably deal with a place that's Thai-language only

Sukhumvit soi 39 great thai massage 250 baht for 2 hours-no hanky panky :)

"Drink at home style"

Streetfood x 6 = 125 Baht

3 bottles of beers = 100 Baht

Transportation = 100 Baht

Snack for the beer; chicken drumsticks 10 pieces = 50 Baht

Pool and one beer at the bar = 125 Baht

E 500 Baht

--------------------------------

"Hardcore life"

Daily gym fee next to Siam Disc: 20 Baht

06.00, Jok and 8 raw eggs 50 Baht

09.00, 10 eggs oat meal 75 Baht

12.00, 600 grams chicken breast,rice 60 Baht

15.00 Khao man gai 25 Baht

18.00, Rice and 10 eggs 30 Baht

21.00, raw tofu 20 Baht

00.00 Thai food 25 Baht

03.00 Oat meal mixed with Betagen 40 Baht

--- "Supplements" 100 Baht

E 470 Baht

--------------------------------

"Average Joe Plan"

Food 6 x 30, 125 Baht

Rent movie, 20 Baht

Transportation, 100 Baht

E 250 Baht

That leaves around 200 over per day. Hmm... that leaves total 500 extra in five days... Banyan tree have a great promo. "Pay 500 Baht. Drink how much you want and anything from the menu". That wold make a nice Friday.:)

I do't say that you have to live like this. I just wanted to show that it's possible to life cheap:)

Edited by Hawkup2000

Simon -- Are you willing to reveal the name and location of the 84 Baht apartment with satellite TV and seaview ( on Jomtien Beach? ), or is that a closely guarded secret?

He's still trying to figure out how to get the pictures of the place off his Iphone ( couple of weeks now )

after that a few more weeks to figure out the GPS to reveal the mystery location. :):D:D

Edited by johng

If I'm reading this correctly, 18 eggs daily seems a bit extreme, not to mention the risk of serious disease associated with eating raw eggs.

But, assuming there is some way around those issues, and excluding the "gym" fee item -- I'd be willing to bet that someone offering a once daily or "on-call" delivery service for this type of menu would be quite successful.

"Hardcore life"

Daily gym fee next to Siam Disc: 20 Baht

06.00, Jok and 8 raw eggs 50 Baht

09.00, 10 eggs oat meal 75 Baht

12.00, 600 grams chicken breast,rice 60 Baht

15.00 Khao man gai 25 Baht

18.00, Rice and 10 eggs 30 Baht

21.00, raw tofu 20 Baht

00.00 Thai food 25 Baht

03.00 Oat meal mixed with Betagen 40 Baht

--- "Supplements" 100 Baht

E 470 Baht

My average day/costs living here in Jomtien (View Talay 1)

3-4pm Wake up

Eat, read internet, excercise 1.5 hours

Drink 2-3 large beer singha for cool down :)

Sunset head down to the bars, find a friend (may have already called existing friend to join me, 25 mint in my cell), go eat with

her, more bars, 1-2am head back up to VT1 (always stop for a drink at the pink VW bus lol), stop at foodmart, sleep 7am usually.

the individual costs vary but for a night out in Jomtien it runs me about 3-4000 baht. If i do same plan in Pattaya much more, 5000 minimum. BKK HUGE $$$$ for same same

Other costs

VT1 Rent 13,000 (i think to high, thought i would save $$ having wife open :D )

Electric 3,000 (3 baht/unit) aircon always on

Water 200

Wife/kids school etc 40,000

Mia noi 20,000

All in All - the last 7 months here have been the BEST days of my life!

Is this what living in thailand does to people, ?...how can i live like a peasant, jeez,. :)

I think it's more likely that Thailand makes farangs drink too much, live beyond their means, adopt inflated egos, and advance all manner of falsehoods.

"I could do it on 200

- 30 bt - cow car moo (thai leg of pork on rice with vegtables)

- 140 bt - beer

- 30 bt - rubber johnnies.

Easy."

You eat once per day and, since condoms in washroom facilities are 10THB for 2, you have sex 6 times a day. Your budget doesn't include a partner, so I guess that your purchasing condoms provides an illusion of having sex, rather than actually having sex. Why don't you just buy a bottle of hand cream, and take it easy on yourself?

I wouldn't have posed the question quite the same as the OP...but I do have some suggestions...

--Your choice of pizza or pasta entree and all you can eat salad bar lunch special daily at Via Vai Italian Restaurant on Suk Soi 11... 200 baht per person plus tax... very nice restaurant with covered outdoor patio and fans... Or you can choose the unlimited salad bar only (which includes a lot of great antipasti other than salad) for 150 baht...

--Cafe 11 at the Grand President Hotel, Suk Soi 11 -- Mon to Friday buffet lunch... 225 baht... great food and wonderful variety. Price includes tax. Also very lovely, comfortable dining room with good service.

--Thai massage, 100 baht per hour... a bunch of shops on Suk Road as you walk from On Nut BTS toward CarreFour On Nut, and then also on the side soi that leads you from Suk Road to CarreFour. They all look the same and apparently have the same owner. Just massage... No HJ, BJ, FS, etc etc...

--All evening drink specials at the Adelphi Suites outdoor bar/cafe, Suk Soi 11. Lately, every day, they've been advertising 75 baht local beers and 120 baht mixed drinks... not just at happy hour, but all through the evening... They have chalkboards out every day showing their specials...

--Happy hour at the Robin Hood Pub, Suk Rd and Soi 33-1.... 4-7 pm daily... all local bottled beers 60 baht per, and Beer Lao 65 baht per, and house wine 120 per glass.

To the OP.... I also live in the area... and I know Suk Soi 1... Where is the food stall/food court you are talking about? Can you locate it a bit more clearly. I'm always around there... but never really stopped for eating there.

I wouldn't have posed the question quite the same as the OP...but I do have some suggestions...

--Your choice of pizza or pasta entree and all you can eat salad bar lunch special daily at Via Vai Italian Restaurant on Suk Soi 11... 200 baht per person plus tax... very nice restaurant with covered outdoor patio and fans... Or you can choose the unlimited salad bar only (which includes a lot of great antipasti other than salad) for 150 baht...

--Cafe 11 at the Grand President Hotel, Suk Soi 11 -- Mon to Friday buffet lunch... 225 baht... great food and wonderful variety. Price includes tax. Also very lovely, comfortable dining room with good service.

--Thai massage, 100 baht per hour... a bunch of shops on Suk Road as you walk from On Nut BTS toward CarreFour On Nut, and then also on the side soi that leads you from Suk Road to CarreFour. They all look the same and apparently have the same owner. Just massage... No HJ, BJ, FS, etc etc...

--All evening drink specials at the Adelphi Suites outdoor bar/cafe, Suk Soi 11. Lately, every day, they've been advertising 75 baht local beers and 120 baht mixed drinks... not just at happy hour, but all through the evening... They have chalkboards out every day showing their specials...

--Happy hour at the Robin Hood Pub, Suk Rd and Soi 33-1.... 4-7 pm daily... all local bottled beers 60 baht per, and Beer Lao 65 baht per, and house wine 120 per glass.

To the OP.... I also live in the area... and I know Suk Soi 1... Where is the food stall/food court you are talking about? Can you locate it a bit more clearly. I'm always around there... but never really stopped for eating there.

Robin Hood is a soul-less theme pub and the food is overpriced and horrid. God forbid I'd ever have to force myself to drink in there to save 15thb. But 60thb for a bottle is tempting nonetheless...

Thanks for the other recommends too.

OberK, I've never had a dinner or lunch at the Robin Hood pub... So I can't, and didn't, speak to that.

I did have breakfast with my GF there a few weeks ago, and had perfectly fine orders of banana pancakes and a separate order of french toast, both nicely prepared and reasonably priced... I have seen, however, that their dinner entrees tend to be in the 300 to 400 baht range for western food.

I don't know what "soul-less theme pub" means, and I really don't care about the place's theme or soul... What I do care about is: 1] easy to get to via Phrom Phong BTS; 2] comfortable, uncrowded seating and good air con; 3] nobody smoking cigarettes next to me while I am trying to eat or drink; and 4] decent, friendly service and reasonable prices on the drinks I'd enjoy.

Last time, after the good breakfast, the GF and I went there for some happy hour drinks, she glasses of wine and myself a few beers. To make it a bit better, I did notice they have quite a few very attractive beer-brand uniformed serving girls, the one from San Miguel being particularly comely. That, and good baskets of french fries and roasted cashews, made for a very pleasant evening out.

For 60 baht bottles of San Miguel with a wedge of lime served by a very attractive and shapely young Thai woman (in addition to my GF who fits the same description) , I'll bring my own soul.... :)

Robin Hood is a soul-less theme pub and the food is overpriced and horrid. God forbid I'd ever have to force myself to drink in there to save 15thb. But 60thb for a bottle is tempting nonetheless...

OberK, I've never had a dinner or lunch at the Robin Hood pub... So I can't, and didn't, speak to that.

I did have breakfast with my GF there a few weeks ago, and had perfectly fine orders of banana pancakes and a separate order of french toast, both nicely prepared and reasonably priced... I have seen, however, that their dinner entrees tend to be in the 300 to 400 baht range for western food.

I don't know what "soul-less theme pub" means, and I really don't care about the place's theme or soul... What I do care about is: 1] easy to get to via Phrom Phong BTS; 2] comfortable, uncrowded seating and good air con; 3] nobody smoking cigarettes next to me while I am trying to eat or drink; and 4] decent, friendly service and reasonable prices on the drinks I'd enjoy.

Last time, after the good breakfast, the GF and I went there for some happy hour drinks, she glasses of wine and myself a few beers. To make it a bit better, I did notice they have quite a few very attractive beer-brand uniformed serving girls, the one from San Miguel being particularly comely. That, and good baskets of french fries and roasted cashews, made for a very pleasant evening out.

For 60 baht bottles of San Miguel with a wedge of lime served by a very attractive and shapely young Thai woman (in addition to my GF who fits the same description) , I'll bring my own soul.... :D

John, I take it your gf can't read English, either that or she is very open minded, which she should be commended for. :)

I guess we all have our own idea of what "luxury" and the "high-life" are... I have no problem with people trying to save money and still have a decent time, but this all sounds like just that, tips on how to live as cheap as possible. The thread title suggests otherwise. Im not saying I drink 200+ baht beers and eat sushi for dinner every night with my 5'10" tall light-skinned gik, but that's the kind of stuff that comes to mind when I think of living the "high-life". Im pretty sure that stuff isnt possible on 500 baht per day. Perhaps this thread should be re-titled "How to live off 500 baht per day and still have a good time" :)

Edited by FarangForce5

Just to the right of Gazebo is an open-air covered area, with a bunch of various food things in it. You want to go to the one right at the back - name (written in Thai only) is Oowan Im (Fatty is Full?). It's normally pretty full.

-P

You unfortunate Bangkok folks. Upcountry, I couldn't spend 500B a day. Not enough time nor appetite to enjoy all that pleasure!

At the market (which has all kinds of fresh and cooked goodies) it would be impossible to eat more than 70-baht worth of food in one sitting.

So, I just sock away 75% of my monthly income, and spend it on international travel a couple times a year! Each to his own!

Thanks PetePete... I'll give it a try soon... What's good there? What do you like???

Just to the right of Gazebo is an open-air covered area, with a bunch of various food things in it. You want to go to the one right at the back - name (written in Thai only) is Oowan Im (Fatty is Full?). It's normally pretty full.

-P

Like most of the world's major banks, finance companies, insurance firms, Mastercard/Visa, etc. etc. I most certainly count on folks going by the 'you can't take it with you (and I'm more than happy to take it off your hands)' philosophy.

:)

Sorry...I was typing too fast... Should have said... Via Vai is located just inside Soi 8, near the Soi 8 Pub... Soi 8 is directly on the opposite side of Sukhumvit Road from Soi 11.

Get off at Nana BTS. Go one way you'll land at Via Vai on Soi 8... Go the opposite way and you'll land at the Grand President's Cafe 11 on Soi 11.

Also, right now... Adelphi Suites Soi 8 is advertising local beers for 75 baht per bottle, presumably all day... But they're also advertising mixed drinks for 120 baht from 4 pm to 1 am daily.

Stopped on the way home today for 4-7 pm Happy Hour at Robin Hood Pub... 3 San Miguel Light bottles (3 x 60b) and a good-sized order of very good french fries (100b) plus tax... Total 300 baht plus tip... I was happy... :)

--Your choice of pizza or pasta entree and all you can eat salad bar lunch special daily at Via Vai Italian Restaurant on Suk Soi 11 [should have said Soi 8]... 200 baht per person plus tax... very nice restaurant with covered outdoor patio and fans... Or you can choose the unlimited salad bar only (which includes a lot of great antipasti other than salad) for 150 baht...

Edited by jfchandler

Stopped on the way home today for 4-7 pm Happy Hour at Robin Hood Pub... 3 San Miguel Light bottles (3 x 60b) and a good-sized order of very good french fries (100b) plus tax... Total 300 baht plus tip... I was happy... :)

Well at least you paid with Thai money.

haha, very good post.. i also can't understand how farang can spend so much money around here, even after they lived here for so long, for just a few percent better food or more fun. Drink beer with Thai or farang friends together, and you can just get it from the 7... breakfast from the fridge and thai food for 30- 80 baht all over the place here.. g/f takes care herself, massage free ofcourse, a bit of swimming in the sea (free), cheap fruit, etc. Sometimes like to splash out here, as well, but basically 500 baht can do it just fine.. see how the Thai's do it!