Time For Another Retirement Extension

My fifth extension app is coming up shortly. Couple of questions about current policy:

Is Suan Plu currently requiring a new bank letter AND a new affadavit of income from your embassy?

I also hear they are taking photos themselves. Do I need one also?

Thanks to all.

My fifth extension app is coming up shortly. Couple of questions about current policy:

Is Suan Plu currently requiring a new bank letter AND a new affadavit of income from your embassy?

I also hear they are taking photos themselves. Do I need one also?

Thanks to all.

Now I'm confused! As of last May in Chiang Mai, I did what I have done now for 4 years, that is provide a bank letter stating I had at least 800,000 Baht in the bank for the last three months. The bank account is frozen for a day I think when the bank letter is written. I have never been asked for a letter of income. I believe that is only needed if you are doing a combination of income and savings. Please correct me if I am wrong. Yes you need your photo

You only need the income letter if you are using income or a combination of money in bank and income.

You will always need a new bank letter. You should always assume that you will need the new income letter every year.

Bangkok immigration will always want both to be new. The bank letter must be within a couple of days of application and you will need an update of bank book on the date of application.

Edited by ubonjoe

Thats not quite right, I have always been asked to provide a new letter each year from British Consulate Chiang Mai.

Thats since 2004. I wondered why as my circumstances remain the same

What is not quite right? Several Immigration offices have recently been telling there customers to keep the original letter as it can be used for up to 3 years. That is a new policy with them it seems. But I have not seen any report for those using Suan Phlu being told this so suspect a new letter is still required each year.

Financial proof as mentioned before.

Passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay, extension. These are the basic requirements but your local office might want more.

Thanks

I seem to find that whatever I take or copy additional info/copies is always required - the envelope containing my docs gets heavier each year. :)

Financial proof as mentioned before.

Passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay, extension. These are the basic requirements but your local office might want more.

Thanks

I seem to find that whatever I take or copy additional info/copies is always required - the envelope containing my docs gets heavier each year. :D

For what its worth,I went to Pattaya immigration for my fifth one year extension a couple of days ago.First at 8.30am I collected my letter from the bank, that I had asked for the day before.

I then went straight to the immigration office. i got there about 8.50am, and there was no one in front of me, so I was straight away dealt with.

I saw first the sergent major,who told me I needed 3 more pages copied from my passport above what I thought I needed, which I got copied, then the captain. In total I was in there maybe twenty minutes .

I do the 800,000 Baht in the bank, so have no letter regarding any pension.

What immigration wanted from me was:

1/A completed form with a photo clipped to it. Note: they also take your picture with a camera on their computer.

2/Copies of the passport pages with my picture on, the page with the last 1 year visa on it, the page with the last stamp coming into Thailand on it, the page with the original multiple entry visa on it from six years ago?and a copy of the landing card thats stapled into your passport.

3/A letter from my Kasikorn bank regarding my 800,000 baht account. Note, that this needs to be very recent.One guy I saw a few months ago got rejected as his letter was over three days old, so not current?

4/ Copies of every page from the above bank book,except blank ones at the back not used yet.

5/ 1,900 cash.

The only question I was asked was regarding my home, was it rented or company owned. i told them company owned, as it is.

No more questions,the captain gave me a numbered ticket, and said I should come back at 1pm the next day. This I did and collected my passport with the new 1 year extension in it.

A quick and hassle free experience. :)

What immigration wanted from me was:

1/A completed form with a photo clipped to it. Note: they also take your picture with a camera on their computer.

2/Copies of the passport pages with my picture on, the page with the last 1 year visa on it, the page with the last stamp coming into Thailand on it, the page with the original multiple entry visa on it from six years ago?and a copy of the landing card thats stapled into your passport.

3/A letter from my Kasikorn bank regarding my 800,000 baht account. Note, that this needs to be very recent.One guy I saw a few months ago got rejected as his letter was over three days old, so not current?

4/ Copies of every page from the above bank book,except blank ones at the back not used yet.

5/ 1,900 cash.

The only question I was asked was regarding my home, was it rented or company owned. i told them company owned, as it is.

No more questions,the captain gave me a numbered ticket, and said I should come back at 1pm the next day. This I did and collected my passport with the new 1 year extension in it.

That's a great checklist for using the savings-only qualification.

The only difference for someone using the combination (income+savings) method is that #4, the only pages I submitted were the cover page (Name/account number info) and the passbook page with the current balance.

(Plus, of course, the embassy letter.)