Passport Taken By Embassy,

beano2274

Scenario

A guy went to the American Embassy to get his passport renewed, whilst there, they took his passport and informed him that he had to return to the US, to pay maintenance to his former wife and child support.

Question to those in the know:

Legally he cannot stay here but he could without the passport (if clever enough), but do the Embassy inform the local Police about his situation?

If so, what are the best options for him, he has remarried, and his new spouse is Thai.

NB. Mods please feel free to move to the correct forum, tks.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The embassy will isue him an emergency passport, on which he can travel to the US only. Not sure, if they inform the police. I don't think so, but what ever the situation, he has to leave the country as he is illegal. He runs the risk of a check at a checkpoint, can't book a hotel etc. Staying would only make things worse, as he then also has to deal with Thai immigration.

Not if he had a Thai passport.

They should just go one step further and put him on a plane.

:)

Sorry but I gotta say this. The thing that ultimately really upsets me is people who father (or mother) kids and then don't support, love, and nurture them

This sort of irresponsibility gets me really hot and angry.

Some pople never grow up, and they go through life leaving a trail of destruction behind them.

If I had my way this character would be compulsarily working three jobs or whatever to at least ensure the kids in both countries have a roof and food and education.

Yeah, it's one of those reverse lottery type situations. You probably won't get caught, especially since the local police don't have the incentive to net these folks. Never know when you might get unlucky though, like getting hit by a speeding Beamer in front of a police immigration office.

Actually another friend of his told him, that he also has no passport as it expired 3 years ago, and that no-one will check him, and he should look for part time work.

Do you realy want an answer to that?

Checks are seldom, but do happen, especialy in some border area's, and working will increase the risk. it is not a question of if he can do it but how long he can continue to do it.

This guy abandons his children and fails to live up to his responsibilities. He takes off to a foreign country fathers even more children, and after (how many?) years just pops into the Embassy and says, "I'd like another passport please." What a loser! He didn't think he would get caught?! Now he wants to continue being a fugitive on the run here? And you want to know if we can help?

This loser is taking the advice of another loser who let his passport expire here while skirting around the law now for three years. That guy has had no proper visas (obviously) and he's eventually going to be deported at his own expense.

These guys are idiots.

Edited by EffectiveAnger

This guy abandons his children and fails to live up to his responsibilities. He takes off to a foreign country fathers even more children, and after three years just pops into the Embassy and says, "I'd like another one please." What a loser! He didn't think he would get caught?! Now he wants to continue being a fugitive on the run here? And you want to know if we can help?

This loser is taking the advice of another loser who let his passport expire here while skirting around the law now for three years. That guy has had no proper visas (obviously) and he's eventually going to be deported at his own expense.

These guys are idiots.

...and then a whole raft of expats appear on here complaining when the Thai authorities start cracking down on foreigners. :)

Either this is you, or you are just helping this person... but either way he is a grand a-hole. There is an excellent reason his passport was taken away from him, and he should go back and take care of his responsibilities. But apparently him spreading his seed all over the world is more important than his kids having things that they need.

Not if he had a Thai passport.

They should just go one step further and put him on a plane.

Sorry but I gotta say this. The thing that ultimately really upsets me is people who father (or mother) kids and then don't support, love, and nurture them

This sort of irresponsibility gets me really hot and angry.

Some pople never grow up, and they go through life leaving a trail of destruction behind them.

If I had my way this character would be compulsarily working three jobs or whatever to at least ensure the kids in both countries have a roof and food and education.

Yes I agree this guy should do the right thing by supporting his kid/s NOT running away from responsibilities.I hope the US embassy will report him to the police and immigration and he will be deported back to the US to face up-to his responsibilities period.

This guy abandons his children and fails to live up to his responsibilities. He takes off to a foreign country fathers even more children, and after (how many?) years just pops into the Embassy and says, "I'd like another passport please." What a loser! He didn't think he would get caught?! Now he wants to continue being a fugitive on the run here? And you want to know if we can help?

These guys are idiots.

I like the above your 100% right buddy,these cun_t's got the balls to ask us for advice so they can carry on fathering more kids and running away.

Either this is you, or you are just helping this person... but either way he is a grand a-hole. There is an excellent reason his passport was taken away from him, and he should go back and take care of his responsibilities. But apparently him spreading his seed all over the world is more important than his kids having things that they need.

By the way, I stated this is not me, check out my avatar, I am English, and a West Ham supporter, who in America has heard of West Ham?

I just hope the Embassy does report him, but I cannot see it.

The other guy just needs to grow up, he thinks he can drink and sh*g anything that moves, and will never get caught by the Police, he also has a kid here in Thailand, but he used a fake copy of his passport to register the baby.

Edited by beano2274

They will not report him until they have paperwork for his extradition to the US. The police won't do anything without some kind of formal documentation from the US.

If he is smart he should be finding out about how much he owes and get it taken care of.

Or go back to the embassy and ask for a emergency travel document to the US.

I assume the US doesn't have any security capable of detaining a US citizen on US embassy sovereign land? Obviously not... but it's too bad...

Why should they detain him?

I agree this man should be forced to make up for what he did.

But only if he has any recources.

A nation with 300 million people. How many of those have debt that they have not paid back yet.

If the state should spend money and human resources to handle each case, it would probably eat up the budgets very soon.

My questions here are, how long has he been here in Thailand?

Did he not owe any money when he left the US?

If yes, how did he manage to get out of US?

And, if he has no recources, and legally live on a modest salary here in Thailand, why would they detain him, or send him back to handle the problems back home?

After all, he has nothing to add to the welfare of the kid (and x-wife).

All they can do is to try to go via his employer to get some of the money before he is paid his salary, as is normal in most countries I believe.

I assume the US doesn't have any security capable of detaining a US citizen on US embassy sovereign land? Obviously not... but it's too bad...

A nation with 300 million people. How many of those have debt that they have not paid back yet.

If the state should spend money and human resources to handle each case, it would probably eat up the budgets very soon.

And, if he has no recources, and legally live on a modest salary here in Thailand, why would they detain him, or send him back to handle the problems back home?

All they can do is to try to go via his employer to get some of the money before he is paid his salary, as is normal in most countries I believe.

There's no immigration check when leaving the US. At any rate, it's not until there is a certain level of delinquency that the IRS or other government agencies come into play.

He may or may not have resources or income in Thailand. But that's irrelevant as his passport is being held so that he'll have to go home to clear things up. Nothing prevents him from getting a job there, and he most certainly has something to add to the welfare of his kids as long as he's still alive.

There's no immigration check when leaving the US. At any rate, it's not until there is a certain level of delinquency that the IRS or other government agencies come into play.

He may or may not have resources or income in Thailand. But that's irrelevant as his passport is being held so that he'll have to go home to clear things up. Nothing prevents him from getting a job there, and he most certainly has something to add to the welfare of his kids as long as he's still alive.

I agree with you.

Most of it.

If this guy was not important enough to stop when he left the US, why is he suddenly important now, when it will cost more recources to get him back?

If he is indeed an asshol_e, without any funds, then I think the kid is better off without him.

But of course, the biggest issue here is probably the fact that he divorced an American lady.

She is angry because she didnt have the opportunity to bring him to the cleaners.

The last was a joke.

Lot of people seem to have jumped on this guys back without full facts.

Let's face it US divorce system is often highly biased to women. Who's to say that he didn't lose his home, and virtually all he had to his wife and kids when she divorced him even though divorce was not what he wanted? He may have wanted custody of the kids and not got it. Wife could be living with another man now, deliberately not marrying so he still has to pay maintenance. Meanwhile he quits his job and moves to Thailand with a broken heart, missing his kids. Then he remarries, having only enough money to support his new family (including possibly kids here), so he stops maintenance. Anyone like to climb off there high horse or should I say donkey under that scenario? :)

Edited by WhiteShrek

Let's face it US divorce system is often highly biased to women. Who's to say that he didn't lose his home, and virtually all he had to his wife and kids when she divorced him even though divorce was not what he wanted? He may have wanted custody of the kids and not got it. Wife could be living with another man now, deliberately not marrying so he still has to pay maintenance. Meanwhile he quits his job and moves to Thailand with a broken heart, missing his kids. Then he remarries, having only enough money to support his new family (including possibly kids here), so he stops maintenance. Anyone like to climb off there high horse or should I say donkey under that scenario? :)

Good post.

:D

You can leave the US while in arrears (no judgment as of that date) on child support with a existing passport. the runners get caught when they go to renew the passport while making no attempt to settle the issue stateside. The dead beat will be facing charges in the country where he is hiding, if he does not take the temporary travel document offered and return home to face the music. He/she has manged to live outside the US, so he must be capable of generating income in some manner. Go home, face the courts, ex, and kid (s) and make a effort to act like a responsible human being/father/mother. If that option is not to their liking, the monkey house is a real choice. Canada and the US seem to bring these people to account instead of letting the rest of society support their activities where responsible behavior seems to have gone amiss.

Good post.

:D

My sentiments exactly! Took five years for a settlement. In order to convince my Thai fiance that I was telling the truth my lawyer wrote her a letter and his legal assistant made copies of some of the proceedings which I hand carried to her.

I continued to make child support payments and pay for medical insurance until they were out of school. Nearly bankrupted me.

Now happily married (so the wife says) my wife has an excellent relationship with my two sons. She is the one that is always buying clothes for our granddaughters. She is also very close to my mother.

Yes you evil evil man how can you do such a thing? You worked 7 days a week to do the best for your family, you sacrificed your social life and lost contact with many many friends due to being a devoted father and husband. You never drank, smoked or asked for anything for yourself, as long as the family had whatever they needed you was happy.

Then one day you returned home from work and your wife and kid(s) had gone to live with another man who she had fallen in love with, she said she had fallen out of love with you and needed to "find herself" She made it difficult to get reasonable access to see the kids, she took you to court and you lost practically everything.

The wife and kid(s) now live another big house with the new man in her life, he has a good job, they have plenty of cash, the kids will NOT go without other then a once a fortnight Saturday afternoon single dad with the kids at Mc Donalds trying desperately to smile and look like you can cope with the trauma of being left with nothing other then having your guts ripped out and stamped on and kicked down the street.

The new man drives past with YOUR kids in the truck taking them to the football game, you stand there helpless, lifeless as you watch the only thing in your life you ever loved being taken over by someone else.

So how god damned dare you go and try and find some happiness elsewhere and pick your life up and try and start again. How dare you even CONTEMPLATE that the kid(s) won't be kid(s) forever and you can have a future together when their old enough to make their own decisions on how mum ripped you all apart because of her selfish and self obsessed westernized ways.

Well if that is the case it's simple all he has to do is to explain is stand point on this matter to the embassy,they will clarify his story and return his passport back,then he will be a happy bunny.let's face it buddy it's NOT going to happen is it because he has run out of excuses and he is on the run now.

By the way, I stated this is not me, check out my avatar, I am English, and a West Ham supporter, who in America has heard of West Ham?

The other guy just needs to grow up, he thinks he can drink and sh*g anything that moves, and will never get caught by the Police, he also has a kid here in Thailand, but he used a fake copy of his passport to register the baby.

I make you worst than him for supporting West ham, perhaps you should be extradited back to England for this crime :)

My sentiments exactly! Took five years for a settlement. In order to convince my Thai fiance that I was telling the truth my lawyer wrote her a letter and his legal assistant made copies of some of the proceedings which I hand carried to her.

I continued to make child support payments and pay for medical insurance until they were out of school. Nearly bankrupted me.

Now happily married (so the wife says) my wife has an excellent relationship with my two sons. She is the one that is always buying clothes for our granddaughters. She is also very close to my mother.

More than probably anyone here wants to know about the U.S. State Department and Child Support:

http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_608.html

Mac

How bad does a divorce have to be to turn your back on your kids mate?