Visa On Arrival + 1 Day Overstay?

Hi everyone!

Dad leaving UK 29th November and flying back to the UK 31st December, he will get tourist visa on arrival. He will overstay by one day ...question is whether to extend his stay at immigration office or let him overstay a day incurring a 500 Baht fine?

Thanks ! :)

If the overstay is less than 24 hours there is no overstay fine. But they do put a stamp in the passport saying that.

The other problem is that he might have a problem getting on his flight. If the airline checks real close they could deny boarding because his ticket out is not within 30 days.

To save the worry and hassle he should just get a tourist visa. They are free until March. He could mail in the application to Hull and pay a 15 pound admin fee and have his visa in just a few days. Hull website. http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

Edited by ubonjoe

I have been coming into Thailand for many years mostly using the 30 day visa that is stamped at the airport, with the occasional 60 day tourist visa, and I never have an onward ticket because I buy my tickets in Thailand so when I enter Thailand it's always on the return portion of a round-trip ticket purchased here. The only problem I ever had was with United Airlines in L.A. not letting me board until I purchased a fully refundable ticket showing that I would be leaving Thailand. I bought a one-way ticket to Hong Kong and then called as soon as I got to Thailand to have it refunded. When I did arrive in Thailand on that trip, like every other time I have been here no one at immigration needed to see an onward or return ticket. Needless to say I don't fly here on United anymore.

To maximize my days in Thailand I often take advantage of the one day grace period and leave the day after my visa expires including doing this last week. The people at immigration are always friendly and never seem to mind at all.

Will your dad arrive here on Nov. 30 or Dec. 1? If he arrives here on Nov. 30 and leaves on Dec. 31 that will be 32 days and he will have to pay a 1,000 Baht fine but if he arrives on Dec. 1 then there will be no fine.

All the more reason to get a tourist visa. I came up with 32 days also. So the 1000 fine is more than it would cost to get a tourist visa from Hull. In fact probably enough to cover the postage to mail it as well.

Plus he would not have to spend the time it can take to pay the fine at the airport..

Edited by ubonjoe

All the more reason to get a tourist visa. I came up with 32 days also. So the 1000 fine is more than it would cost to get a tourist visa from Hull. In fact probably enough to cover the postage to mail it as well.

Plus he would not have to spend the time it can take to pay the fine at the airport..

... plus he would not run the risk of being detained if stopped by the police whilst on overstay.