Fed Up Paying The 150 Baht Bad Falang Fee?

Somtamnication

In general, VISA logo cards seem to pay a somewhat better exchange rate for U.S. $ than MasterCard logo cards. Among the various cards I hold, those that pay nearly the full rate are all VISA cards, though whether your issuing home bank decides to take a cut of their own also can impact the outcome.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why I don't like the fee...

1) :) 150 baht for a 10 baht activity

2) :D My NZ bank charges me ANOTHER NZD7.50 (170 baht) for using my atm card overseas

3) :D My NZ bank charges me a 2.5% fee (commission/whatever) for ALL FX transactions

4) :D MY NZ bank charge me NZD5.00 a month for having a bank account with money in it

5) :D MY NZ bank pays me no interest on my current account balance (free money for them)

:D So if I can avoid the b150 I feel better!

Thus I always go for the maximum withdrawal to minimize the fees I pay

Am going to change to Thai bank (yet again) and TT in money every 3-4 months (NZD25 fee)

(ps I am glad I posted this as I verified everything with my bank and found that they had increased the charges the b*st*rds!)

Edited by kiwiinasia

I'm the last one to defend the 150 baht Thai ATM fee...

But really, it sounds like you ought to focus on finding a better home bank.

True if there was a choice, but sadly there is not.

The NZ banking industry is small and dominated by Australian banks with little or no real competition.

I have created the spreadsheet and worked out that at B20K I can save about 212baht by using TT to my Thai Bank (BAY if I could find the book).

I can save even more if I use a forex company, which I am going to do once I find the bank book.

For months now I have been paying this "we hate you" tax. I used most bank atms as they all charged, particularly over the past 2 months.

Yesterday, my wife wanted some whitening lotion and I had no cash. So I gave her my paypal topupcard (UK) which I use for paying this tax.

The week before I paid it and so on...

She comes back with a big grin. Yes, she got her ultra large bottle of whitening lotion and no farang hate fee. What? Whatchutalkingaboutwillis?

My tilac (second bottle of whitening lotion shall be purchased as compensation, sometime today) used THAI language on the atm. Voila! English menu is the trigger with Ayudhaya and Bangkok Bank. I have not tried Siam or Kasiboiledkorn.

Put your reports here and let us know how my having to purchase whitening lotion changed your lives forever! :)

150 baht - so bloody what - be grateful you have money abroad.

Whitening lotion?

'tilac' - you don't really call her that do you?

The NZ banking industry is small and dominated by Australian banks with little or no real competition.

I have created the spreadsheet and worked out that at B20K I can save about 212baht by using TT to my Thai Bank (BAY if I could find the book).

I can save even more if I use a forex company, which I am going to do once I find the bank book.

Is it worth crying over 3 pounds?

There are plenty of other countries to live in.

Some people are so sensitive to being 'taken advantage of'.

I first got charged in April with the 150 baht. I was able to find banks that didn't apply the charge until June. I have Thai Bank accounts where you get charged 20baht for using another bank's ATM. My Uk account is with the Nationwide who informed me that all transactions on my card are without charge. To avoid the 150 baht charge I was advised to go into the bank and ask for a "cash advance." I have used this without any charge from the Nationwide or the Thai Bank since.

Once a month I transfer from my UK account to my Thai account. The UK bank charge GBP 13 to send it and the Thai bank charge 0.25%, with a min of Bt 200 and a max of Bt 500.

Costs around GBP 22-ish and is in my account 2 days later usually, though they say 3-5 working days. The exchange rate charge alone from my UK bank is 2.99% of their rate. Assuming you sent GBP 1,000 this would cost me GBP 29.90 in exchange rate differences, let alone the ATM fee charge they levy and the Bt 150 charged by the Thai bank.

Tell your bank to send the cash in Sterling then.. :)

Maybe this is not the best way to move funds into Thailand but I did have funds sent from my Spanish Bank, to my Euro account with SCB in BKK. Then when I needed to top up my Thai Bt account with SCB in Chiang Mai I got a much better exchange rate and no extra charges, but that was two years back. I now always try to bring funds with me when I travel this reduces the cost a bit.

I first got charged in April with the 150 baht. I was able to find banks that didn't apply the charge until June. I have Thai Bank accounts where you get charged 20baht for using another bank's ATM. My Uk account is with the Nationwide who informed me that all transactions on my card are without charge. To avoid the 150 baht charge I was advised to go into the bank and ask for a "cash advance." I have used this without any charge from the Nationwide or the Thai Bank since.

Yes but at what exchange rate?

Odd that, as I am a bit upset when people take advantage of me, must have a bit of Thai in me. :)

Edited by a99az

So far I have used all the banks that don't charge 150 Baht but there is not to many left, the only one's left are Ayudhya bank on some ATM's and Aeon ATM's and when they start charging i will just use my passport and card inside the bank at no charge. If they start charging for that then its wire in as much as you can from your bank every month in pounds, if your bank charges are not to much that's about all you can do if you receive a pension or Rent income in the Uk or anywhere else.

regards

Scotsman

Maybe youre one who sees it ok to take advantage of others hard work, ie enquiring about claiming a UK pension whilst not contributing to the system.

Yes it is worth crying about banks doing what would be classed as illegal by the WTO, with banks colluding to scam me out of my hard earned money, when theyre already get commission on such transactions.

Once a month I transfer from my UK account to my Thai account. The UK bank charge GBP 13 to send it and the Thai bank charge 0.25%, with a min of Bt 200 and a max of Bt 500.

Costs around GBP 22-ish and is in my account 2 days later usually, though they say 3-5 working days. The exchange rate charge alone from my UK bank is 2.99% of their rate. Assuming you sent GBP 1,000 this would cost me GBP 29.90 in exchange rate differences, let alone the ATM fee charge they levy and the Bt 150 charged by the Thai bank.

I use my LLOYDS Debit card and transfer 250.000 baht from it and transfer it strait into my SCB account.

LLOYDS charge me 3.50GBP for the transaction

Maybe they'll double the fee to 300 if this years tourism figures are down too much.

I would .

You know why, cos you lot would still pay it, you'd all moan a bit more but you'd still pay, or open up an account in a Thai bank. :)

They probably will double or treble the fee and many tourists will still pay. I don't know what the tipping point is, but there is a limit to what people will pay-time will tell.

Many of us have a Thai bank account already but there are still fees to transfer the money from abroad :D

Many of us have a Thai bank account already but there are still fees to transfer the money from abroad :)

There is a method I want to explore for future use to withdraw money from the teller counter.

Here is my latest post hoping more people will begin to share their experiences.

Edited by vagabond48

What I don't understand is, all these people complaining abut this ATM fee; why don't they use a Thai bank account instead? You live here presumably?

At last. A voice of reason. Changing the banking practices, you may as well try and stop the sun rising. Just get a local bank account.

Yes, the solution is obvious. But that would take all the fun out of whinging :)

As for transferring from abroad, online banking usually merits the lowest fees. For some banks, online transfers are even free.

I'm getting tired of deflating this old hot air balloon... but...

I think you'd pretty well find that almost all the people here who take a serious interest in the 150 baht ATM fee issue are people who live in Thailand and DO have Thai bank accounts, probably more than one.

The dividing point is the difference between people who earn their money locally in Thailand, and thus have their earnings deposited directly in local banks, and thus aren't concerned about this issue, and the rest of us who earn or receive our incomes abroad, and then have to find the best ways to access/move those funds here for living expenses.

So for all the assorted folks who keep whinging on about "get a Thai bank account," the next time I hear that, I'm gonna take my Thai bank ATM cards and shove them up your... :)

I'm getting tired of deflating this old hot air balloon... but...

I think you'd pretty well find that almost all the people here who take a serious interest in the 150 baht ATM fee issue are people who live in Thailand and DO have Thai bank accounts, probably more than one.

The dividing point is the difference between people who earn their money locally in Thailand, and thus have their earnings deposited directly in local banks, and thus aren't concerned about this issue, and the rest of us who earn or receive our incomes abroad, and then have to find the best ways to access/move those funds here for living expenses.

So for all the assorted folks who keep whinging on about "get a Thai bank account," the next time I hear that, I'm gonna take my Thai bank ATM cards and shove them up your... :D

:)

Seriously, lot's of people derive monies from outside of Thailand, myself included and the fees that I pay are hardly what I would call life threatening. :D

Everyone makes their choices, Mr. Toad....

Maybe I can put the issue more in terms that you can appreciate...

No matter how much money any person has.... Every 150 baht ATM fee you save is the same as having an extra bottle of Corona, or almost a pint of Guinness.... or.... +/- five bottles of Leo.... Or maybe one bottle of Leo and a pack of smokes... Beginning to catch your interest NOW??? :)

Everyone makes their choices, Mr. Toad....

Maybe I can put the issue more in terms that you can appreciate...

No matter how much money any person has.... Every 150 baht ATM fee you save is the same as having an extra bottle of Corona, or almost a pint of Guinness.... or.... +/- five bottles of Leo.... Or maybe one bottle of Leo and a pack of smokes... Beginning to catch your interest NOW??? :)

No, not really.

Yes, the solution is obvious.

Yes the solution is obvious but whose solution?

There is no right or wrong solution. There your solution and there my solution.......

Although, I live in LOS full time, I don't work here nor does my visa require that I transfer a large sum of money in a Thai bank although I do have one. I simply choose to take out the amount of money I need from ATM machines, so what's wrong with saving some money if it is easy enough.

150 baht - so bloody what - be grateful you have money abroad.

I don't understand why people who don't want to make a small effort to save some money criticize those who do.

These responses are getting just too silly.

Well only save dosh if the area the ATM is in isnt out of your way. If you are making a concerted effort to go out of your way in the end you will be wasting more time and dosh then prob slapping down the 150bht fee.

I think the solution is to drop some dosh into a thai local account. Then all your worries are gone. :)

Well only save dosh if the area the ATM is in isnt out of your way. If you are making a concerted effort to go out of your way in the end you will be wasting more time and dosh then prob slapping down the 150bht fee.

I think the solution is to drop some dosh into a thai local account. Then all your worries are gone. :)

Not rocket science is is it Brit? But then there would be something else to moan about , that is for sure.

I think the 150 baht is more of a hindrance for tourists really, and I don't particularity think it is good, but anyway spending any lenght of time here should look at the options available, as there are plenty.

There are two gas stations on the same stretch of Sukhumvit Road...metaphorically speaking....

One charging 30 baht per litre... The other charging 45 baht per litre... Same gas... same basic service...

To all those here who would do business with the 45 baht per litre place, and not care that there was a 30 baht per litre station just down the street, bless your hearts...

But if that's the way you spend your money... hard to figure...how you managed to save any...or how you'll have enough to keep for the future.

There are two gas stations on the same stretch of Sukhumvit Road...metaphorically speaking....

One charging 30 baht per litre... The other charging 45 baht per litre... Same gas... same basic service...

To all those here who would do business with the 45 baht per litre place, and not care that there was a 30 baht per litre station just down the street, bless your hearts...

But if that's the way you spend your money... hard to figure...how you managed to save any...or how you'll have enough to keep for the future.

You don't say where on the stretch - the cheaper one could be 3 miles down the road. :D

It 's hard to figure how a person could travel half way around the globe on his own, but not be able to work out ways of transferring money into the country other than through the 150 bht ATM route. :)

It 's hard to figure how a person could travel half way around the globe on his own, but not be able to work out ways of transferring money into the country other than through the 150 bht ATM route. :)

Probably has something to do with convenience.

They feel it's the most convenient method for them and don't like being made to find alternative arrangements because of some over-charging, if that's what we are saying it is.