Gps

ray23

I do a lot of motorcycle riding and am constantly getting lost, small villages don't tend to have road signs and those that do are in Thai, looking for away to get off the unbeaten path and back to major highway hopefully going in the right direction.

Any one tried the a GPS system here?

I do a lot of motorcycle riding and am constantly getting lost, small villages don't tend to have road signs and those that do are in Thai, looking for away to get off the unbeaten path and back to major highway hopefully going in the right direction.

Hi Ray

Though I am working in Pakistan at the moment when I was back home in Thailand I used a Garmin GPS lll and it does work. The bad news is that there are not many maps available that would help you though there are some 250,000 and 50,000 scale maps which may help. The next bad news is that they are generally up to 10 years out of date and the government is not bothered in updating them.

You may be able to get a software update from your GPS supplier through the internet.

Best of luck.

Billd766

Edited by billd766

I've been using a Magellan Mericolor GPS with a color monitor for about 2 years, and I have a separate antenna mounted in my truck where it's pretty much on whenever I'm driving. Like was said, the maps here are old, and not very detailed, when compared to the GPS maps in the states with restaurants, hotels, etc., listed. Just most main hiways and waterways, plus some topography info on some maps. Quite a few Thai towns and cities listed, surprisingly. My biggest problem with the map is its inaccuracies. You can be from 50-500 meters off, sometimes more.

Lots of info on the web from users, and lots of choices in products. Garmin seems the most popular. Maps between manufacturers are not compatible without a lot of hassle, according to reports.

Mine was about $300.00US. 5% import duty, plus 7% vat in Thailand. The units in Bkk are about 100% higher than the best USW prices, when I was looking a couple of years ago...

I use it mostly as a compass when I'm out on country roads. It seems I've been lost more times with the gps than without, but that might be a coincidence. It was funny to playback (on my computer at 50X speed) the 3 hours I got lost on the Bkk expressways... :o

I have had and been using a Garmin unit for the past year up in Issan... I find it most helpful in trying to return to a specific location, rather than locating the location in the first place... As stated, the maps only show the main roads and larger towns, but it is still useful, and if all eles fails you can zoom out and at least see "How far Lost" you really are...

Pianoman

Here's an idea...start a "GPS plotting project in Thailand", sort of like an open source software project where the community contribute. GPS plotting is more than just roads and sois, it is also about places, attractions, points of interest, all sorts of urban metadata. I know there are loads of drivers and motorcyclists who use GPS in Thailand that love to explore. Over time with the combined efforts of the community inputting GPS locations and various others intersting bits of meta data (ie: amazing waterfall here, best noodle hut in korat here, immigration office here, etc.....) , you could build an incredibly valuable resource. :o

There were a couple of articles in Bangkok post database 2nd & 9th March reviewing Garmin iQue 3600 gps unit. This unit supposedly has a very good Thailand map built in.

An alternative is to buy a Garmin unit that allows you to load homemade maps on to it. I described this in a thread on Chiang mai forum earlier. The reason for buying a garmin is that there is software out there on the web enabling you to build your own maps. This is not possible with other brands.

I've been using a Magellan Mericolor GPS with a color monitor for about 2 years, and  I have a separate antenna mounted in my truck where it's pretty much on whenever I'm driving. Like was said, the maps here are old, and not very detailed, when compared to the GPS maps in the states with restaurants, hotels, etc., listed. Just most main hiways and waterways, plus some topography info on some maps. Quite a few Thai towns and cities listed, surprisingly. My biggest problem with the map is its inaccuracies. You can be from 50-500 meters off, sometimes more.

Lots of info on the web from users, and lots of choices in products. Garmin seems the most popular. Maps between manufacturers are not compatible without a lot of hassle, according to reports.

Mine was about $300.00US. 5% import duty, plus 7% vat in Thailand. The units in Bkk are about 100% higher than the best USW prices, when I was looking a couple of years ago...

I use it mostly as a compass when I'm out on country roads.  It seems I've been lost more times with the gps than without, but that might be a coincidence. It was funny to playback (on my computer at 50X speed) the 3 hours I got lost on the Bkk expressways...  :o

I believe Bangkok expressways to be beyond my capablities and can't ride a bike on them at all no matter what size. 500 meters I think I can handle that yesterday I was about 30Kms off, in villages with dirt roads. Those are fun rides kids out there don't normally see full dress 750's, you can have a great day just watching them. Just getting headed in the right direction to a major highway would be great.

As to improving the systems that would be great, but far beyond what I can do.

You guys are really helpful thanks

There were a couple of articles in Bangkok post database 2nd & 9th March reviewing Garmin iQue 3600 gps unit.  This unit supposedly has a very good Thailand map built in.

An alternative is to buy a Garmin unit that allows you to load homemade maps on to it.  I described this in a thread on Chiang mai forum earlier.  The reason for buying a garmin is that there is software out there on the web enabling you to build your own maps.  This is not possible with other brands.

I was considering that iQue when it first came out a couple of years ago, but this was for a car. My sense for that unit is that it might not be physically rugged enough for a bike....

I'm thinking more about buying the iQue now, mostly because Garmin tracks are distributed more widely than others, it seems. Check the yahoo groups... The greatest thing about the iQue is the size of the screen, which, with my crappy old eyes, could use the upgrade in screen size.

If anyone does have a Magellan and lives in Thailand, I'd be happy to pass on my tracks around the North... http://AsiaRecipe.com/NorthTracksandwpts.zip

Ray23, I'm in the same boat as you. I like getting off the beaten track and often wonder which road to take at unmarked junctions to get to my destination.

I'm always thinking that if I was to have a breakdown or accident, would it be quicker and easier retracing my route or carrying on to my original destination.

Anyway, I'm still umming and arrhing as to which GPS unit to buy.

Meanwhile, here's a good site with lots of info.

http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/gps/index.html

A full dress 750? Do you have a tourer? I used to use my Harley for dirt tracks but now have a Transalp. :o

Edited by Gazza