Illegal Practice Collecting Visa Overstay Fee?

Recently I had to pay 15,000 Baht visa overstay charge at Suvarnabhumi airport. In the process I had to sign a yellow form written in Thai language. My Thai is good enough to read basic words.

I asked why the amount of 15,000 Baht is not filled in. The officer answered that it will be filled in later….

Now I am really worried that money will end up in the wrong pockets and not be available for the Thai people.

However I still have the recipe and the case number so it would be possible to check on that. Has anybody a similar experience?

Classic corruption scenario. Now, it's your word against theirs--and your signed form will agree with their word. You don't have a single chopstick to stand on.

I would leave it alone and move on.

Not worth getting on some immigration blacklist, if indeed, one exists. :)

Edited by toptuan

Recently I had to pay 15,000 Baht visa overstay charge at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Depends on how long your overstay was. If for 30 days at 500 baht per day, then it works out correct. If for two day overstay then not much more that I can say. :)

I don't think it's a question of whether the fine was correct, but legal ? Whenever you pay out monies you always should receive a receipt. The OP didn't, so he throws out the question 'was I done ?' Simple ain't it ? Now I'm ridiculing the people that don't understand the question. My apologies. Now I'm being a hypocrite.

Edited by coventry

I agree in that he says he got a receipt but what he's asking is 'is the receipt genuine, because the amount of the fine wasn't inserted ?' So on that basis, was he being ripped off ?

Answers can only be as good as the question being asked, and the question leaves out the important detail of the number of days the OP overstayed. It makes you wonder if what he reports really happened. A normal question would have been “I overstayed x days and was made to pay a fine of y Baht. Is this the correct fine?”

--

Maestro

Recently I had to pay 15,000 Baht visa overstay charge at Suvarnabhumi airport. In the process I had to sign a yellow form written in Thai language. My Thai is good enough to read basic words.

I asked why the amount of 15,000 Baht is not filled in. The officer answered that it will be filled in later….

Now I am really worried that money will end up in the wrong pockets and not be available for the Thai people.

However I still have the recipe and the case number so it would be possible to check on that. Has anybody a similar experience?

The fine is 500 Baht per day up to a maximum of 20,000 Baht.

So, if your overstay was 30 days then that is correct.

I think your concerns are somewhat misplaced when you are worried about where the money will end up.

My suggestion would be that you should be concentrating on ensuring that you DO NOT to overstay in the first place.

--------------------

the threadstarter just asks (see above... what is so difficult? You speak english??? If his concerns are the moral ones, everyone is entitled to have their chance to post here, newbie or not...

My answer is, just do like one of the posts suggest, go on with your life. Your 15.000 baht is already spent and gone out the window..

Glegolo

Sorry a bit off topic.

I've lived here more than 20 years, I speak Thai.

Decided a few days ago to open a new bank account at very famous Thai bank.

Eventually walked out after scooping up all the partly completed documents.

Why? Bordering on obnoxious bank lady rudely demands copy of my work permit (copy of work permit is fine, but the manner of asking for it is not fine.)

Staff then sits at keyboard at starts typing and gives me an application form and tells me to sign blank application form. I start to fill in the name, etc., details and she quickly stops me and rudely says "I will complete it later, just sign".

I indicate that I don't sign blank forms. She indicates that I am rude.

I scoop up the documents, the cheque I was about to deposit, copies of work permit etc and walk out.

She immediately talks loudly and tell sother staff thet farang people are rude.

Just reinforces my own policy of never signing blank documents.

Sorry a bit off topic.

I've lived here more than 20 years, I speak Thai.

Decided a few days ago to open a new bank account at very famous Thai bank.

Eventually walked out after scooping up all the partly completed documents.

Why? Bordering on obnoxious bank lady rudely demands copy of my work permit (copy of work permit is fine, but the manner of asking for it is not fine.)

Staff then sits at keyboard at starts typing and gives me an application form and tells me to sign blank application form. I start to fill in the name, etc., details and she quickly stops me and rudely says "I will complete it later, just sign".

I indicate that I don't sign blank forms. She indicates that I am rude.

I scoop up the documents, the cheque I was about to deposit, copies of work permit etc and walk out.

She immediately talks loudly and tell sother staff thet farang people are rude.

Just reinforces my own policy of never signing blank documents.

I 100% agree I would have asked to talk the manager before leaving the bank.

If you don't like the receipt you don't sign it simple.

I agree in that he says he got a receipt but what he's asking is 'is the receipt genuine, because the amount of the fine wasn't inserted ?' So on that basis, was he being ripped off ?

Answers can only be as good as the question being asked, and the question leaves out the important detail of the number of days the OP overstayed. It makes you wonder if what he reports really happened. A normal question would have been “I overstayed x days and was made to pay a fine of y Baht. Is this the correct fine?”

--

Maestro

You and others are missing the point. He's not worried about whether the amount of the fine was correct, but if the officer would be illegally taking a cut of his fine by putting in a lower number like 10,000 baht, for instance, after the OP signed then and then pocketing 5,000 baht. Basically he's asking if he can check if the officer reported the right amount and quite simply if he embezzled the money. And I think he should take the advice of a previous poster and just forget about it.