Increased Vigilance By Customs At Suvarnabhumi?

bubba

I returned from a trip yesterday, at at the Customs green lines, the officials were putting every single piece of baggage (including carry-ons) from every single passenger through the x-ray machines. Many were being taken aside and opened. This includes myself, although I wasn't carrying anything suspicious or of interest to Customs. I have probably passed through Thai airport customs 100 times, and this is the first time I have seen this, and certainly the first time my baggage has been opened and inspected.

I'm wondering whether this was an isolated event, or is this a sign that Thai Customs have started examining all arrivals. Another airport "crack down" of some sort???

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I returned from a trip yesterday, at at the Customs green lines, the officials were putting every single piece of baggage (including carry-ons) from every single passenger through the x-ray machines. Many were being taken aside and opened. This includes myself, although I wasn't carrying anything suspicious or of interest to Customs. I have probably passed through Thai airport customs 100 times, and this is the first time I have seen this, and certainly the first time my baggage has been opened and inspected.

I'm wondering whether this was an isolated event, or is this a sign that Thai Customs have started examining all arrivals. Another airport "crack down" of some sort???

correct, I have been entering Bangkok Suvannabhumi almost every other month and every time I enter the green line I've been

asked to scan my personal luggage. Normally my flight arrives late night.

One thing for sure, Customs are looking for over allowances of Duty Free items such as Cigarettes & Liquor which yields a high

taxation rate (around 10x) the value if not declared. Another thing is the rampant illegal drug trafficking into Thailand.

One thing for sure, it is questionable if any confiscation of duty free items (fines) are legitimately processed by customs or

just plainly put into their own pockets?

• 2 weeks later...
I've flown into Suvarnabhumi at least three times per month for the last 12 and last week was the first time I had to run anything through the scanner.....also the first time I had gone over on my wine supply....good thing no one was actually watching the screen.

Just checked http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Trave...?menuNme=Travel

1 liter of alcoholic beverage at the maximum

That's it? Just one bottle of wine and nothing else?

Can anyone confirm this?

:)

^yes I can confirm this. 1Liter is the max. :)

Good grief, the wife is not going to be pleased.

Just have to tell her good thing they never looked before :D

Thanks, britmaveric.

Edited by mahtin

I have seen this before but put it down to newbies assuming they had to join the line for checking as I just walked straight past the queue and out. I'm sure people must have thought i was doing a runner :)

They were still at it last night when I passed Customs again. And there was no way to dodge the queue...everyone was required to pass at least one of their bags through the x-ray machine. No exceptions. Actually, it took me more than five minutes to get past, and the queue was rapidly getting longer behind me.

i have been useing multiple b visa's for the last 4 year's to avail of 90 day visa run which i did at nong khai ,6 week's ago i was doing my annual trip home to renew it,a young female immgration officer,flicked through page's of my passport,the change of her expression spelt trouble,i was taken to a office where another female officer ,judgeing by the amount of badges,gold braiding on her uniform,plus the submissive attutide of the other one toward's her i knew she was no pen pusher.I was questioned at length about my travel's ,what product i was sourceing 'name of the thai export company,i was useing,invoice,tax returns and any other paperwork was requested,i suggested on my return i would comply.After a short laugh i was told the party is over.I am now blacklisted from multiple b and point of entry visa,i must apply to thai consul in my country.Then it was custom's turn any new item in my luggage proof of purchase was requested leather belt t- shirt's usual stuff was seized because i had no reciept's.All is not well for frang in LOS anymore,but it was good when it lasted. :)

Thanks, britmaveric.

I thought it was one liter everywhere just not LOS

May well be, but we don't go anywhere else. Family :D

Was checked two weeks ago but last night back to normal. Only random scan.

Also in the windows of smoking rooms there has been warning stickers for a while now stating the legal limits you can bring in and also notice that all exceeding cigarettes and alcohol has to be dropped to the "drop box".

Not sure what this box is, probably no fine if you donate the extra to customs xmas party or something :)

Hi does anyone know whether I am able to get pirate DVDs through Singapore (Changi) airport? I heard of a couple of people recently who had theirs confiscated. cheers

Sry but LOL ....you are aware that PIRATE DVD's are illegal yeah?? Thus no surprise if customs confiscate them eh. Use yer noggin LOL :)

Thanks, britmaveric.

I thought it was one liter everywhere just not LOS

May well be, but we don't go anywhere else. Family :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N.Z is pretty generous by world standard ??? anywhere better--??? >>>>

Into New Zealand per adult:

Not more than 3 bottles of spirits (up to a maximum of 1125ml each)

4.5 litres of Wine, port, Sherry, Champagne (six bottles) or beer (12 cans).

200 cigarettes or 250 gms of tobacco or 50 cigars

NZ $700 of other goods purchased Duty Free or overseas.

i have been useing multiple b visa's for the last 4 year's to avail of 90 day visa run which i did at nong khai ,6 week's ago i was doing my annual trip home to renew it,a young female immgration officer,flicked through page's of my passport,the change of her expression spelt trouble,i was taken to a office where another female officer ,judgeing by the amount of badges,gold braiding on her uniform,plus the submissive attutide of the other one toward's her i knew she was no pen pusher.I was questioned at length about my travel's ,what product i was sourceing 'name of the thai export company,i was useing,invoice,tax returns and any other paperwork was requested,i suggested on my return i would comply.After a short laugh i was told the party is over.I am now blacklisted from multiple b and point of entry visa,i must apply to thai consul in my country.Then it was custom's turn any new item in my luggage proof of purchase was requested leather belt t- shirt's usual stuff was seized because i had no reciept's.All is not well for frang in LOS anymore,but it was good when it lasted. :)

i don't understand this post at all. can you elaborate (not about that the customs office was wearing)

why were you blacklisted for multiple b and point of entry visas?

was your belt and t-shirt seized? who has a receipt for a belt and t-shirt?

what's really going on here?

Also in the windows of smoking rooms there has been warning stickers for a while now stating the legal limits you can bring in and also notice that all exceeding cigarettes and alcohol has to be dropped to the "drop box".

Not sure what this box is, probably no fine if you donate the extra to customs xmas party or something :D

Saw this last weekend. This wasn't there in August when I passed through. Guess AOT is taking the cigarette shake down scams very seriously :)

post-34549-1254807787_thumb.jpg

Not sure what this box is, probably no fine if you donate the extra to customs xmas party or something :D

Saw this last weekend. This wasn't there in August when I passed through. Guess AOT is taking the cigarette shake down scams very seriously :)

post-34549-1254807787_thumb.jpg

great pic. Maybe the powers that be read Thai Visa? heheh

I imagine someone will still try it on, get caught, and then have a whinge about paying the high - and very legitimate - fines.

I did have to put all my luggage through the scan in January 2008 (so it is nothing new) I do not smoke, drink nor have any special (illegal) needs. They found a box: in there, were a couple of gold watches, rings and other stuff my friend and I carry along when travelling. It doesn't seem a lot to us but I was entitled to a full questionning, by officers from different services, until the person in charge (I mean The One in charge) arrived with three other big brass. He explained to me that he could see that they were not new items but next time I should declare them.

Well I still wonder why I should declare these items as they are not dutiable.....

I came back early September; went through customs and did not have our luggage scanned nor checked although there were almost no passengers going through and the officer obviously not busy. But in any we were wearing everything and did not have them in our luggages

The thing is that I really don't know what to carry or not: different answers from different offices I have called from abroad before flying to Bangkok.

What surprised me most, is the detailed announcement made on the plane before landing stating what was forbidden.

Just declare 'em. ( or don't carry them ) It is in the rule book.

OK, and if we declare a a couple of extra bottles of wine, (1) do we get to keep them, and (2) if so, how much is it going to cost us?

From what I have read previously on this subject, you cannot bring in more than your allowance unless you have an import license (kinda makes sense). So by declaring items you won't be liable to a fine, but will lose said items.

If you do get caught and fined you still lose the items, you are not paying duty to keep those items but a fine for smuggling. I know in the UK if you pay the extra duty you can keep them, but it doesn't work like that here.

What surprised me most, is the detailed announcement made on the plane before landing stating what was forbidden.

Standard announcements before landing for many country. Flying to singapore they almost every time warn about the drugs and death sentence etc. Way back in early 90's i remember Sydney airport having big trash bins for forbidden items like foodstuff, rabbits and other organic stuff :) Also long announcement in Quantas flight from Singapore what is allowed in and what is not.

New Zealand must be one of the most anal ones about all this. I have a friend in Bangkok who took a business trip to Auckland and found out the hard way. He frequently tossed an apple into his computer case when he went off to work here in BKK for a quick snack in case he worked through lunch or something. Unfortunately for him, he forgot that he still had one in his case when he flew down to Auckland. NZ Customs found it, he told them that he was really sorry and had simply forgotten about it, but NZ Customs still found it necessary to punish him with a NZ$150 fine for a single undeclared appl. Absolutely silly.