Static.thaivisa.com

Plus

A lot of board images like "no new posts" or smilies are hosted on static.thaivisa.com, which could be on the same server but has a different dns address:203.174.85.146 for thaivisa and 202.170.126.9 for static.thaivisa.

For several days my computer had problems with displaying those images. Sometimes it takes forever to get 1kb images from there, sometimes they never arrive at all.

For example those little squares under posters avatars that show how many posts a user has

http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/style_ima...3049877/pip.gif

took several minutes to download as I'm posting this. On some machines it causes the browsers to timeout and stop waiting.

In another thread on disappearing avatars George said there could be Thailand dns server issue related to server maintenance. This is not the same case for me - I use US located openDNS server on this Win7 system.

Is it the problem with the slow "static" server? I noticed that these images are still available on simple thaivisa.com and are served from there in a second, like that same square on

http://thaivisa.com/forum/style_images/ip....3049877/pip.gif

Are they physically in the same place? Then it could be server problem with processing them if they are requested as static.thaivisa.

Same issue here and it makes the message boards unreadable. I link to Singapore OK as a speedtest shows below, but every page is incomplete - limited images displayed, all text links, reply pages like this take up to 5 minutes to complete forming. It is like there is a traffic shaper on your urls or someone is limiting the bandwidth to you.

563743697.png

1. Goto DOS prompt and issue the following command:

ipconfig /flushdns

2. Delete all temporary internet files (clean the cache)

3. Close your browser and restart your computer.

That should help.

I am running linux on all the boxes here and already did simular under linux. I even changed from opendns to local DNS and visa versa still the same issues. It was fine up to last week when we all had gateway issues with our ISP's.

Edited by joncl

Just got home and pinged static.thaivisa.com, it went to 203... server, and the browser got "oldie" replay.

Checked DNS - it's set for OpenDNS server, and, as I feared, pretty soon the static images disappeared and on the second try the browser didn't get any response, not hope, not oldie.

Perhaps when I read the board the server detects my location and directs me to Thai static server, 202.., but then it clashes with IP address the browser gets from overseas based DNS server.

The problem disappeared after setting both dns entries to True and clearing cache.

>>>>

People get recommended various alternative dns servers all the time, as local servers are perceived as less reliable. Perhaps the tech guys who set up those "load balanced" servers should keep that in mind.

• 2 weeks later...
Thaivisa Forum graphics and pictures are load balanced on our servers. If you are based in Thailand, you should get "HOPE" server. If you are outside you should get "OLDIE" server.

Odd.. I get the opposite.. OLDIE inside Thailand.

Did you try to reload/refresh with <ctrl>F5 ?

What DNS do you use?

Thaivisa Forum graphics and pictures are load balanced on our servers. If you are based in Thailand, you should get "HOPE" server. If you are outside you should get "OLDIE" server.

Odd.. I get the opposite.. OLDIE inside Thailand.

Did you try to reload/refresh with <ctrl>F5 ?

What DNS do you use?

Yes I had done a refresh..

Now I get HOPE

I use openDNS

If you type static.thaivisa.com in the address field, the openDNS would send you to "oldie" server outside of Thailand, because that's how it resolves the name.

When you access Thaivisa itself, from Thailand, the forum software sniffs out your IP and directs you to the local server instead, and I guess that's what caused problems in my browser - conflicting addresses coming from the forum and from DNS server, and they are stored in cache (which you cleared).

That was two weeks ago, before the attempt at "major upgrade".

Edited by Plus