Phuket Acts To Clean Up Jet-ski Woes

webfact

...snip...

By the way there are 5,000 foreign prisoners in UK prisons ! Kind of dwarfs the hundred or so here !

The high season is upon Thailand and we are in the world's worst recession ever in history. People are losing their homes, businesses are going bust and there are fewer jobs. This is the real world. Do you not think it was highly irresponsible and selfish beyond belief that someone should make such a program at this time ? We do not live in an adolescent TV world where no one takes responsibility. How self centered, self indulgent and naive can a human being be. .......snip.....

Absolutely agree with everything you say.

I've lived in Thailand on and off for 20 years, now been here permanently for the last 6 years.

I too, love this country and it`s people.

...snip.....

What does the amount of foreign prisoners in UK prisons have to do with this thread?

Sassienie,

I have only been coming to Thailand for 10 years and been here permanently for about 6 years.

I mostly love Thailand and mostly love the people. I'm not enamored with the government and the various departments.

Because I love the people, I welcome documentaries like this.

It seems the only thing that stirs the powers that be into any sort of remedial action is when Thailand's failings are exposed on the world stage.

Because of world media exposure, some action is being taken against the airport scammers, now, it seems like they are going to demand that the jetski operators get proper insurance. This has to be a step in the right direction.

If these steps are effective, then it can only be good for Thailand's tourist industry and therefore good for many common people who rely on tourism for their income.

If you love the Thai people so much, you would want good things for them. You would not want to maintain the status quo.

I love the Thai people and I would like to see them have a better life.

I think that it is disgusting that such a high proportion of the population has to survive on such a small income, but of course that is just me complaining in the eyes of all the farang that live in their insulated societies with the hi-so Thais.

Now so many of the population face losing their meagre income because of the decline in tourism. A decline directly attributable to bad management and doing absolutely nothing about the scamming of tourists. Yes, I know the economy is a factor, but tourism has declined much more than can be blamed on the economy.

I just hope that these last few embarrassing media stories will make the people in charge wake up and start doing things to improve and make Thailand attractive to tourists and do something about the things that deter tourists.

This can only be good for Thailand. And because I love Thailand and its people, I would like to see it happen.

You, on the other hand claim to Love Thailand and it's people, but want nothing to change, because everything is fine as it is.

Maybe, people posting on forums like this one catches the attention of the world, the media takes it up and the people in charge have to take note when the whole world is horrified by what happens here.

You have my vote "Loong" exactly 100% nice one! :)

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sassiene i am a brit and i have been a reguler visitor to phuket for 7 years i am neither scum or a drunk. I will not be found waking up on a beach either. In your obviouse oppinion do you think its ok for people like me who works hard for his holiday to come to a country where as soon as the plane reaches its gate there are people trying to remove your money from you be it a taxi or going to a shop and being charged double. Do you accept in your own words that if you dont like the way your treat in thailand go back to where you come from, so you believe then that it is ok to rob somebody be it a scam or whatever it is pure robbery. Answear us all 1 simple question that scum bag jj is in court next week or is that made up to make the thais look bad. what is he charged with we know do you. I will agree with you in 80s We the brits were seen as troublesome in spain and greece but that was then. Times change and it is very seldom we hear of bad troublemakers in these destinations ie there country addressed the problem and stopped the troublemakers. I find your post's both disgracefull and disrepecting of us. What country are you from. If you can't post a thread without slagging people off i sugest you go to another forum, your views are not welcome here.

I am English, but you also say that you are a Brit. Yet I`m not sure of this, judging by your appalling spelling and bad grammar.

Yes, it`s not right that tourists are getting scammed and my point about people going elsewhere, is regarding those who live in Thailand, yet continue to complain about the system and the way they are treated. You quote that you have been a regular visitor to Thailand for 7 years. Well, the best way to smash scammers is not to give them your money, so again I quote, everyone has choices and there are always other options.

I do not agree with your statement which says; ‘I will agree with you in 80s We the brits were seen as troublesome in spain and greece but that was then. Times change and it is very seldom we hear of bad troublemakers in these destinations ie there country addressed the problem and stopped the troublemakers’..

As a matter of fact the Brit yob situation has become worse, at home & abroad. Check out the following:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/2...drugsandalcohol

http://blogs.abcnews.com/worldview/2008/08...inge-drink.html

http://www.travel-rants.com/2008/08/08/bri...lers-in-europe/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/158...ble-abroad.html

http://www.nubricks.com/archives/522/driver-move-abroad/

Edited by sassienie

What is too bad is it will make it very difficult for independent filmmakers to shoot in Thailand after this fiasco. Mainstream Hollywood should be okay because they actually show the script in advance.

yes and in some cases wire massive bribes into swiss bank accounts. :)

http://www.reuters.com/article/peopleNews/...E58D5VE20090914

One thing that strikes me, watching the documentary videos, is how bad the western (mainly Anglo-Saxon) alcohol and drug culture really is. People getting to a holiday destination. Instead of having a few drinks, pleasant time and chat with others, it's more like; How drunk can I get in one evening? Then stumbling around like pirates in the area and upsetting the locals. I must say, from my own experience, that worst of worsts when it comes to drunken behavior, are the Britons. They are also the people who "invented" the football hooliganism. People from other countries could also have a "bad drink day". But the Brits and it's descendants (like Australians) are the worst. How come...?

What is too bad is it will make it very difficult for independent filmmakers to shoot in Thailand after this fiasco. Mainstream Hollywood should be okay because they actually show the script in advance.

Not to mention having local Thais (like JJ) to get interviewed and talk about their business. Thanks to these documentaries, he and others alike are now forced to sing up for insurances. Personally, I like that new rule. But JJ more or less did bite on his own tail. But in the long run, I think it's good that changes comes around.

Sassiene i am a brit and i have been a reguler visitor to phuket for 7 years i am neither scum or a drunk. I will not be found waking up on a beach either. In your obviouse oppinion do you think its ok for people like me who works hard for his holiday to come to a country where as soon as the plane reaches its gate there are people trying to remove your money from you be it a taxi or going to a shop and being charged double. Do you accept in your own words that if you dont like the way your treat in thailand go back to where you come from, so you believe then that it is ok to rob somebody be it a scam or whatever it is pure robbery. Answear us all 1 simple question that scum bag jj is in court next week or is that made up to make the thais look bad. what is he charged with we know do you. I will agree with you in 80s We the brits were seen as troublesome in spain and greece but that was then. Times change and it is very seldom we hear of bad troublemakers in these destinations ie there country addressed the problem and stopped the troublemakers. I find your post's both disgracefull and disrepecting of us. What country are you from. If you can't post a thread without slagging people off i sugest you go to another forum, your views are not welcome here.

I am English, but you also say that you are a Brit. Yet I`m not sure of this, judging by your appalling spelling and bad grammar.

Yes, it`s not right that tourists are getting scammed and my point about people going elsewhere, is regarding those who live in Thailand, yet continue to complain about the system and the way they are treated. You quote that you have been a regular visitor to Thailand for 7 years. Well, the best way to smash scammers is not to give them your money, so again I quote, everyone has choices and there are always other options.

......snip....

Sassienie - you really are a snob aren't you! (yes no question mark, because the question does not need an answer)

If you can't think of a reply, then pick on poster's spelling and grammar, that way you can be sure to keep on looking down on the lower classes.

Now you say that " it`s not right that tourists are getting scammed " yet in your earlier post you stated that it was good that these scum get scammed, maybe they will not come back.

Well, the best way to smash scammers is not to give them your money

Do you really believe that?!

If the members of the Royal Marines can be intimidated by these goons, what chance does the average person have.

I'd really like to see what you would do if the situation ever arose that you were surrounded by these aggressive thugs, demanding money, especially when one goes and gets a gun. You won't pay - correct?

Sorry, I correct that, I actually hope that you never find yourself in a similar situation. I don't like to think of anyone being subjected to intimidation.

But of course if you got your wish, and all the expats that don't meet with your approval return to their native countries: if the tourists stop coming, who will the criminal element have left to target?

You and your ilk.

One thing that strikes me, watching the documentary videos, is how bad the western (mainly Anglo-Saxon) alcohol and drug culture really is. People getting to a holiday destination. Instead of having a few drinks, pleasant time and chat with others, it's more like; How drunk can I get in one evening? Then stumbling around like pirates in the area and upsetting the locals. I must say, from my own experience, that worst of worsts when it comes to drunken behavior, are the Britons. They are also the people who "invented" the football hooliganism. People from other countries could also have a "bad drink day". But the Brits and it's descendants (like Australians) are the worst. How come...?

It really does depend on who you talk to. Funnily enough, nearly all Thais that I talk to consider the English to be the best behaved and most polite of all farang. The same Thais tell me that one of the worst behaved, impolite race are the Germans, but tops for badly behaved, impolite, drunken aggression are the Norwegians. Considering that there are probably much fewer Norwegians here compared to Brits, that surprises me.

I think that the Turks take the top prize for football hooliganism - not the Brits.

These documentaries are just a hyped up mainly excauated load of nonsense.

Take a look on Utube at the uncut interviews and scenes. It`s obvious that most of it is semi staged, plus the bar fights and street yob sagas, you’ll find these in any British towns after the pub and club animal chunking out times. Also the story about the young girl facing drug charges and her loser boyfriend. I was hoping she would have gone down for a least a year as an example to those who think Thailand is a soft touch.

That JJ who during an interview admitted that he is not a full Thai, but half Dutch, is wallowing in all the fame and is always guaranteed to put on a good show in front of the cameras.

It`s all done for gaining high viewer ratings, profit and entertainment at the expense of the Thais, damaging the already badly hit tourist industries and Thailand’s image around the world.

I am sure that for the Thais and the ex-pats that helped create and produce this rubbish are looking at a very grim future career wise in Thailand and perhaps even deportation for the Farang police who participated in this without official approval.

What the UK's towns are like is irrelevant. If everything were justified on the basis of it happens somewhere else in the world then there would be a free for all. As you well know, British TV is full of similar programmes about what goes on in British cities.

I also suspect you know that there are tourist scams all over Thailand. If you truly cared for the country, you would be happy for these to be exposed so that Thailand's tourist industry can clean itself up and improve.

"your beautiful part of Thailand " My arse ! Chiang Mai is 'lifting' pall & is rampant with all of the problems you label other "major tourist areas" added to that it's smelly ! I'm sure your message that Chiang Mai isn't interested in encouraging more tourists to visit is shared by everyone . You narrow minded Dope !

Might one hazard a guess that you live in Pattaya?

One might but one would be so wrong !

Would one like another guess or is one going to remove one's smug head from one's arse and say something relevant ?

Ouch, shot down it flames in Churchilian wit. Hmm, how about Bangkok Sukhumvit Soi 4 then? There again with your affection for "arse" perhaps a pinker zone may be more appropriate?

As to relevant if you want to criticize smelly CM fine, but tell us where you are that is so much better, and of course better for what does come to mind. Come on don't be shy.

"your beautiful part of Thailand " My arse ! Chiang Mai is 'lifting' pall & is rampant with all of the problems you label other "major tourist areas" added to that it's smelly ! I'm sure your message that Chiang Mai isn't interested in encouraging more tourists to visit is shared by everyone . You narrow minded Dope !

Might one hazard a guess that you live in Pattaya?

One might but one would be so wrong !

Would one like another guess or is one going to remove one's smug head from one's arse and say something relevant ?

Ouch, shot down it flames in Churchilian wit. Hmm, how about Bangkok Sukhumvit Soi 4 then? There again with your affection for "arse" perhaps a pinker zone may be more appropriate?

As to relevant if you want to criticize smelly CM fine, but tell us where you are that is so much better, and of course better for what does come to mind. Come on don't be shy.

I'm finding your obsession with my arse and it"s location a tad disconcerting , i'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find a forum thread more suited to your needs . Just not this one !

Let's try and keep it civil. No, on second though, keep it civil.

But sometimes it is just so difficult to keep a civil tongue in your 2 typing fingers :D

On occasions I want to forget the civil tongue and just use the 2 fingers.

And anyone with a dirty mind - that is NOT what I meant, shame on you. :)

But sometimes it is just so difficult to keep a civil tongue in your 2 typing fingers :D

Wow , chatted up , chastised and a joke (almost) all in 30 mins .

Now thats entertainment !

Take a look on Utube at the uncut interviews and scenes. It`s obvious that most of it is semi staged, plus the bar fights and street yob sagas, you'll find these in any British towns after the pub and club animal chunking out times. Also the story about the young girl facing drug charges and her loser boyfriend. I was hoping she would have gone down for a least a year as an example to those who think Thailand is a soft touch.

That JJ who during an interview admitted that he is not a full Thai, but half Dutch, is wallowing in all the fame and is always guaranteed to put on a good show in front of the cameras.

It`s all done for gaining high viewer ratings, profit and entertainment at the expense of the Thais, damaging the already badly hit tourist industries and Thailand's image around the world.

I am sure that for the Thais and the ex-pats that helped create and produce this rubbish are looking at a very grim future career wise in Thailand and perhaps even deportation for the Farang police who participated in this without official approval.

What the UK's towns are like is irrelevant. If everything were justified on the basis of it happens somewhere else in the world then there would be a free for all. As you well know, British TV is full of similar programmes about what goes on in British cities.

I also suspect you know that there are tourist scams all over Thailand. If you truly cared for the country, you would be happy for these to be exposed so that Thailand's tourist industry can clean itself up and improve.

Whilst foreigners focus on the scams, local Thais stare in shame at the debauchery

shown in the documentaries! Thailand is a Buddhist country and respect should be given to its religion.Why do foreigners come to Thailand to practise such debauchery?Do you not come to enjoy the sun,the sea, the natural beauty, the food and the culture?Thais have to protect their young and shield them from this hedonistic lifestyle and culture so different from theirs.

Just getting your money is a heavy price to pay for eroding their culture, their religion and corrupting their young!

Are you able to do that next door in Malaysia? You would have been whipped even before you go cavorting at the beach!Maybe foreigners should be more sensitive and have more respect for the host country. After all you are the guests and guest do not misbehave!

It really does depend on who you talk to. Funnily enough, nearly all Thais that I talk to consider the English to be the best behaved and most polite of all farang. The same Thais tell me that one of the worst behaved, impolite race are the Germans, but tops for badly behaved, impolite, drunken aggression are the Norwegians. Considering that there are probably much fewer Norwegians here compared to Brits, that surprises me.

I think that the Turks take the top prize for football hooliganism - not the Brits.

When Brits are sober, they are really polite. When they get drunk, they really can become the opposite. It's like they always carry this facade of being a gentleman. But as soon as the alcohol sets in, they pretty easily get derailed. Especially the young ones. And once again... It was the Brits who invented the football Hooliganism. Yes, the Germans can became quite big Messerschmidts under alcohol. But they are quite in the same league as the Brits. I'm talking from own experience.

Edited by Ga-gai

Take a look on Utube at the uncut interviews and scenes. It`s obvious that most of it is semi staged, plus the bar fights and street yob sagas, you'll find these in any British towns after the pub and club animal chunking out times. Also the story about the young girl facing drug charges and her loser boyfriend. I was hoping she would have gone down for a least a year as an example to those who think Thailand is a soft touch.

It`s all done for gaining high viewer ratings, profit and entertainment at the expense of the Thais, damaging the already badly hit tourist industries and Thailand's image around the world.

Whilst foreigners focus on the scams, local Thais stare in shame at the debauchery

shown in the documentaries! Thailand is a Buddhist country and respect should be given to its religion.Why do foreigners come to Thailand to practise such debauchery?Do you not come to enjoy the sun,the sea, the natural beauty, the food and the culture?Thais have to protect their young and shield them from this hedonistic lifestyle and culture so different from theirs.

Just getting your money is a heavy price to pay for eroding their culture, their religion and corrupting their young!

Are you able to do that next door in Malaysia? You would have been whipped even before you go cavorting at the beach!Maybe foreigners should be more sensitive and have more respect for the host country. After all you are the guests and guest do not misbehave!

I don't disagree regarding the disgusting behaviour. I think the documentary does well to expose it. My post was in objection to the post I quoted which appears to be in agreement with the arrest of those making the documentary. I just spoke with my (Thai) missus about this and she thinks that to cover things up like this is a disgrace.

She also mentioned that on the Thai news a Thai woman who runs a jet-ski business said that it is true that it happens and it ruins the businees of honest operators like her. Surely the point is to expose the scammers so that honest Thai businesspeople can make an honest living?

^Thailand missed an opportunity here - instead of really clamping down on these lads, some brilliant muppet thought it was better to blame the show that uncovered it. The authorities would have looked like hero(s) and the country at whole would look really good with a proper response. However like clock worse responsibility is shifted the the producers of the show are blamed for making thailand look bad and the problem is ignored and can continue as always. :)

Remember that Thailand is a singular cultural society that does not accept multiculturalism like Western countries.

Thailand could if they wanted ban western foreigners from the country for whatever trivial reason.

You have to accept there is a high level of corruption that allows crooks like JJ to operate (this is only the tip of the iceberg).

The local population consider JJ a heroic Robin Hood type of figure - robbing of the dumb rich farang to give to the poor locals.

The solution as I've mentioned previously is DON'T USE THE JET-SKIS !!!!! period

Sorry about the "almost joke"

I started the post because it is just so difficult to respond to some of the people here and keep it civil. When I realised what I had written, I figured that someone would pick up the unintentional innuendo, and so I decided to get in first.

:D

I started the post because it is just so difficult to respond to some of the people here and keep it civil. When I realised what I had written, I figured that someone would pick up the unintentional innuendo, and so I decided to get in first.

:)

So you don't like 'sloppy 2nds' either? :D

Get real!

I don't have any problem with the Buddhist religion, it seems pretty good as religions go.

The thais have their religion and they have their laws, mostly they will ignore both if it suits their own purpose.

As for hedonistic lifestyle, the Thais can teach the westerners a thing or 2.

Get out and about in Thailand and live amongst the Thais and you will realise that you do not know what you are talking about.

For some reason, you've chosen the name Plaaduk - Catfish. Catfish live quite happily in their own environment, but then they are yanked out dismembered, cooked and consumed. Maybe quite fitting for somebody with your idealistic attitude.

Ref " to get in first " Am i right ? you just opening your mouth to change feet now ! :)

TOOLATE! :) (that's a Thai word, not too late in English)

I just can't believe that I tried to stop the obvious innuendo response, but you still managed to find something. Hat's off to you but, well actually I don't know what to say! :D

Anyway, thanks, you gave me a laugh. A better joke than my nearly joke.

TOOLATE! :D (that's a Thai word, not too late in English)

I just can't believe that I tried to stop the obvious innuendo response, but you still managed to find something. Hat's off to you but, well actually I don't know what to say! :D

Anyway, thanks, you gave me a laugh. A better joke than my nearly joke.

Correction, it was an "almoist joke" ! Dohhh :)

Hehe.Don't belief all that's being said.I hear Just the opposite of what you say here.Germans are nice ,and Norwegians are even better,The Brits are Good and the Aussies and Americans are the worst of all.Not to mention The Indians on vacation without their wife.They are "zombies".So i guess that if one from whatever country pisses himself and other out,the conclusion is that they all are the same.."Hitler went to war and he was a big butthole,so the rest of the germans are the same"(That is still a hang on the Germans even after world war 2 ended a long time ago! :) Ps: some don't know about History.

The latest copy of the Samui Express has the Koh Phangan police chief claiming the TV show is a British 'conspiracy' to force the full-moon party excesses to cease in favour of making the island a more family oriented destination while making the Thai police look less than honest.

Now there's a surprising viewpoint eh?

If authorities are bent on prosecuting films made in Thailand which besmirch Thailand, then they've got a whole heck of a lot of prosecuting to do.

They'd need a staff as big as the staff that is supposedly checking the 5.3 million Red Shirt signatures for veracity - just to tackle the soap operas on TV. Each program portrays Thais as screaming infantile emotionally-whacked imbeciles. Am I wrong?

I've been reminded of this because a Thai gal has recently moved in with me and, surprise, she spends much of her time filling the once-peaceful house with high pitched screaming of Thai females on TV.

The film censure board could then focus on the skin whitening ads that proliferate all TV shows (not to mention every page of all vanity mags). It's beyond embarrassing - that Thais spend so much money & effort trying to look as white as florescent glare off of yellow snow.

The Same Jet Ski Scam happens everyday in Pattaya. As you sit on the beach its an endless sourse of Entertainment watching the Show.

The Jet Ski operator hassling the Farang tourist about damages The Tourist bringing the Speacial Tourist Cop to resolve the problem The Tourist always leaving Paying for Damages and all other cast menbers in this short production reality show splitting up the rewards of there actting skills. To bad you cann't buy popcorn as you sit watching the allday show