Fresh Vegetables

joe33

Hi Guys, being an old bachelor I probably would be eating most meals out there. However, for lengthly stays I would probably just stay in from time to time and would like to cook up a beef stew or pot of beans and just wonder what the fresh veggie availabilty there is for carrotts, celery, new potatoes, cabbage, sweet onions, tomatoes, green beans, sweet peas; and great northern/navy white beans. Is the best place to buy the veggies at the large supermarket stores or the local market places. Also, where is the best place to buy a crock pot(slow cooker) and a rice cooker there, have to assume any of the major department stoes have them. Don't expect many of you there to have much interest in this topic but please chime in if you feel inclined to do so, any input would be greatly appreciated. No! I won't be having any live-in while staying there, just a visitor from time to time. Regards and have a good one.

Hi Guys, being an old bachelor I probably would be eating most meals out there. However, for lengthly stays I would probably just stay in from time to time and would like to cook up a beef stew or pot of beans and just wonder what the fresh veggie availabilty there is for carrotts, celery, new potatoes, cabbage, sweet onions, tomatoes, green beans, sweet peas; and great northern/navy white beans. Is the best place to buy the veggies at the large supermarket stores or the local market places. Also, where is the best place to buy a crock pot(slow cooker) and a rice cooker there, have to assume any of the major department stoes have them. Don't expect many of you there to have much interest in this topic but please chime in if you feel inclined to do so, any input would be greatly appreciated. No! I won't be having any live-in while staying there, just a visitor from time to time. Regards and have a good one.

I do most of the cooking and have every kitchen appliance known almost. Bib C Tescos and Macro are you best prices for crock pot rice cookers and such. Im not a chemist and do wonder what Thailand uses for insecticides???? My Thai wife said watermelons are the very worst and I like the rinds in a juicer for all the vitamins. Cant help you on the veggie department but look at those places and for sure you will find what your looking for

Best to you

A lot of the stores carry "hygenic" produce and meats which has some sort of official seal.

Does anybody know what the designation covers? The produce definitely looks cleaned perhaps with a ozonated water and scrubbed which could or would decrease surface pesticides/fungacides and bacteria. Does the hygenic label mean anything for growing practice or pesticide? Any insight?

Also curious about the hygenic difference with packaged fresh meats.

They are more expensive than buying at the wet markets but for me anyway it saves me time as I don't need to clean them prior to eating or preparation.

Go to the local morget near warorot market.

plenty of fresh veggies with cheap price delivered everyday from royal project(Certain shops).

If you do worry about insecticides contamination and not sure which shop you can find good veggie, then go to Rimping.

A lot of the stores carry "hygenic" produce and meats which has some sort of official seal.

Does anybody know what the designation covers? The produce definitely looks cleaned perhaps with a ozonated water and scrubbed which could or would decrease surface pesticides/fungacides and bacteria. Does the hygenic label mean anything for growing practice or pesticide? Any insight?

Also curious about the hygenic difference with packaged fresh meats.

They are more expensive than buying at the wet markets but for me anyway it saves me time as I don't need to clean them prior to eating or preparation.

i wouldnt count on the official seal for being more hygienic, imo

I still rinse and clean any veges i buy from either wet or supermarket

That brings up a good followup question. How do people clean their produce?

I mostly use ozonated water or if I don't have my machine handy would use a capful of bleach in water for soaking.Food grade hydrogen peroxide is an excellent bleach replacement but I still haven't been able to find in T.L. Just scrubbing in water does not do a heck of a lot for food borne disease.

Are people using special bio cleaners that are available locally? or custom concoctions?

I hope people are not using commercial soaps as they introduce various toxins and hormone warping agents.

A lot of times produce from the wet markets have manure and other fecael matter on them or at least my nose seems to think so.

Any tips?

I posted similar queries in years past. Lovey hubbie just bought me my crock pot today! At Home Pro. I didn't ask the price though. I get all my veggies fresh from the stalls down the street. Never did solve the question of cleaning them but took the locals' suggestions and just rinse them in water and hope for the best...no problems so far...

That brings up a good followup question. How do people clean their produce?

I mostly use ozonated water or if I don't have my machine handy would use a capful of bleach in water for soaking.Food grade hydrogen peroxide is an excellent bleach replacement but I still haven't been able to find in T.L. Just scrubbing in water does not do a heck of a lot for food borne disease.

Are people using special bio cleaners that are available locally? or custom concoctions?

I hope people are not using commercial soaps as they introduce various toxins and hormone warping agents.

A lot of times produce from the wet markets have manure and other fecael matter on them or at least my nose seems to think so.

Any tips?

try baking soda or apple cider vinegar

At the Suthep Road end of Nimahemin Rd, across from a Chiang Mai University campus is a fresh veg market run by the CMU Agricultural Dept that used to be open certain days of the week (I think Saturday mornings). We used to shop there when we lived in the area. You should check that out as the vegetables seemed to be fresh off the field.

At the Suthep Road end of Nimahemin Rd, across from a Chiang Mai University campus is a fresh veg market run by the CMU Agricultural Dept that used to be open certain days of the week (I think Saturday mornings). We used to shop there when we lived in the area. You should check that out as the vegetables seemed to be fresh off the field.

That's a very good source--better quality than royal projects, and good prices, too. Has anyone mentioned Baan Suan Phak organic grocery store? Past the President Hotel heading towards US consulate in a lttle mall before the stoplight on your right. Best veggies by far in CM, IMHO

Muang Mai market would be my fresh veg market of choice, very cheap used by a lot of the local restaurants and sometimes you can get the harder to find vegetables like courgettes and beetroot here.

Rice cookers are everywhere, do a search for Rose's previous croc pot topic.

The veggies at Rim Ping are usually very fresh and clean. Tanin Market, a Thai fresh market, has more selection and much cheaper prices, but I have to work harder to get them clean. They're fresher earlier in the day. This market has much better produce than the more "famous" ones closer to the city center. It's worth the song thaew fare to go there.

I bought a salad spinner and chemical wash bottle with me from the U.S. I use them every day. When I buy produce (or meat for that matter), I always wash it with tap water then rinse with bottled water from my chemical wash bottle. This handy little bottle produces a fine, but high pressure spray. Long ago, I worked in a chemical lab and discovered these chemical wash bottles.

I, too, worried about how to clean fresh produce before we moved here. That's why I brought the salad spinner and chemical wash bottles with me. We haven't had any problems, despite having home-made salads daily, so I think what I encounter on the produce is soil (dirt), not fecal material.

At the northwest corner of the intersection of the canal road and doi suthep road is the king's project store. they sell all kinds of vegetables and fruits there. not only are the prices great but they are either grown organically or with very reduced use of pesticide. there is a word or phrase for the latter approach to raising produce but it escapes me.

there is also a saturday morning and wednesday morning market that was referred to earlier as a saturday market only. It opens about 6:00 AM and it's good to get there early. If you drive down nimmanhemin coming from suthep road you take the first left turn you can. about 100 meters up this road is the market. it is supposed to carry only organic produce and the prices are excellent. or if you are on the canal road heading north it will be the first right turn after you pass suthep road. it's hard to miss this place since it is on the northern border of Chiang Mai university's experimental agriculture field. it's a lot of fun to stroll through the fields and see produce and rice and cows. well, it's fun if that's your idea of fun.

Many Thai households after washing the fresh vegis or fresh fruits as so to get rid of dust, sands, manure or fecael if any. they would always soak them in cold water dissolved with potassium permanganese ( spelling ?) at least an hour. Thai calls 'daang -tub-tim'. They believe it's the only way to kill germs or bacterias without boiling or using other form of heat.

At the northwest corner of the intersection of the canal road and doi suthep road is the king's project store. they sell all kinds of vegetables and fruits there. not only are the prices great but they are either grown organically or with very reduced use of pesticide. there is a word or phrase for the latter approach to raising produce but it escapes me.

Do not be misled that produce from Doi Kham is either organic or grown with very reduced use of pesticides. With all respect,

"The 37 Development Centers operating under the tutelage of The Royal Project Foundation are all responsible for extension programs. An initial major challenge was to convince the hilltribes to give up opium cultivation while offering them other crop substitutions. Each project emphasizes the eradication of the slash-and-burn methods, the promotion of reforestation, and ceasing the illegal opium growing. The projects also stress the importance of providing education in remote areas in order to train farmers in the principles of highland agriculture and animal husbandry, and enable them to increase their earnings and become more self-sustainable."

In order to grow vegetable with reduced pesticides they must be grown in greenhouses. There are many greenhouse growers around Chiang Mai and many are represented at Rimping Supermarket.

I would recommend the local markets. Besides fresh vegetables, they sell local dishes (like braised ducks, roasted pork, fried chicken parts and even omelette) packed in small packs. Moreover there are stalls selling local desserts like red beans, sago beans, tapioca in coconut. And my all time favorite would be the salad bars there. You can pick and mix the items like sliced apples, honeydew, watermelon, papaya, jambu, jelly, red beans, sago, sliced carrots and vegetables. There are more than 20 items for you to select. And it is reasonably priced. Give the local market a chance.

You can buy cooked white rice (7B per pack), sticky rice, papaya salad in small portion from local market as well. I have gotten a fried egg at 10B.

Too bad have yet to see mango sticky rice yet. Probably not mango season yet.

Mango season has come and gone, June/July is peak. But my mango trees have a second crop maturing right now. We still see Khao niew mamuang at our favorite vendor in MaeJo town, 20 baht, yummy!

Do not be misled that produce from Doi Kham is either organic or grown with very reduced use of pesticides. With all respect,

"The 37 Development Centers operating under the tutelage of The Royal Project Foundation are all responsible for extension programs. An initial major challenge was to convince the hilltribes to give up opium cultivation while offering them other crop substitutions. Each project emphasizes the eradication of the slash-and-burn methods, the promotion of reforestation, and ceasing the illegal opium growing. The projects also stress the importance of providing education in remote areas in order to train farmers in the principles of highland agriculture and animal husbandry, and enable them to increase their earnings and become more self-sustainable."

In order to grow vegetable with reduced pesticides they must be grown in greenhouses. There are many greenhouse growers around Chiang Mai and many are represented at Rimping Supermarket.

Here is a quote from the english language version of the royal project website: "Technology has been introduced for the minimum use of synthetic chemicals to control plant diseases and insects, for soil conservation and for seed multiplication,"