Surname For Settlement Visa Appplication

Hi All,

Thanks for all you help so far.

We have just returned from Bangers with my translated "affirmation to marry" and my girlfriends TB certificate.

We are getting married tomorrow and will then submit our application for a settelment visa for the UK.

However, it just occured to me that her passport and now TB cert are in her family name.

Is there any legal requirement for her to change her family name to my surname once we marry?

If she keeps her family name for the duration, is this likely to cause any difficulites with her visa application?

Am I just over thinking this and worrying too much!??

Cheers!

Hi All,

Thanks for all you help so far.

We have just returned from Bangers with my translated "affirmation to marry" and my girlfriends TB certificate.

We are getting married tomorrow and will then submit our application for a settelment visa for the UK.

However, it just occured to me that her passport and now TB cert are in her family name.

Is there any legal requirement for her to change her family name to my surname once we marry?

the

If she keeps her family name for the duration, is this likely to cause any difficulites with her visa application?

Cheers!

[/quote

She can keep her family name on everything, passport, ID card, etc , but after you're married she should change her ID card to show that she is now married. It won't cause any problems with either her visa application or at UK immigration when she arrives in the UK.

No, no and yes!

She can keep her family name on everything, passport, ID card, etc , but after you're married she should change her ID card to show that she is now married. It won't cause any problems with either her visa application or at UK immigration when she arrives in the UK.

Just to correct myself, my wife has just come home and told me that Thai law on this has changed again within the last eighteen months or so and a married woman can now choose whether to keep 'naangsaao' (Miss) or change to 'naang' (Mrs) as well as choosing whether to keep her maiden name or changing to her husbands surname on her ID card. Previously she could choose her name but not her title.