Where Can I Live To Get Very Good Internet

Altos

on Samui

TT&T is good (premier 2mg package recently upgraded to 3mg with 1mg up)

CAT is good (unsure of packages but the 2mg package performs well with 35 ping to bangkok with fibre lines so im told)

CAT CDMA is ok 3mg/1mg (impressive performance over CDMA also faster speeds available and 600Baht per month according to people i know with it)

AIS and Dtac cdma is ok 460k/?? (a little tricky and annoying to top-up and select plans etc but hey, it works)

TOT is a joke (need i say more)

hope that helps

cheers.

Hi Guys So above is a summary from another forum member of some, plus JI Net, SME-CSLOxinfo ? albeit expensive, I see True and Maxnet get good press also.

I plan to come to Thailand later this month and the two main criteria are reasonable apartment/house rental and GOOD internet - so, the question is : What location am I likely to find suitable ? I prefer near the coast and Hua Hin and south, and Pattaya and south, areas are geographically viable. Can anyone comment on internet service in those areas. I can put in a load balancing modem and two lines if need be but must have rock solid connection. Can also go elsewhere, no restriction as long as living conditions are OK.

No family concerns but want quiet area as I do like to sleep at night. BG's are no interest.

Altos.

Edited by Altos

on Samui

CAT is good (unsure of packages but the 2mg package performs well with 35 ping to bangkok with fibre lines so im told)

CAT CDMA is ok 3mg/1mg (impressive performance over CDMA also faster speeds available and 600Baht per month according to people i know with it)

AIS and Dtac cdma is ok 460k/?? (a little tricky and annoying to top-up and select plans etc but hey, it works)

hope that helps

cheers.

Hi Guys So above is a summary from another forum member of some, plus JI Net, SME-CSLOxinfo ? albeit expensive, I see True and Maxnet get good press also.

I plan to come to Thailand later this month and the two main criteria are reasonable apartment/house rental and GOOD internet - so, the question is : What location am I likely to find suitable ? I prefer near the coast and Hua Hin and south, and Pattaya and south, areas are geographically viable. Can anyone comment on internet service in those areas. I can put in a load balancing modem and two lines if need be but must have rock solid connection. Can also go elsewhere, no restriction as long as living conditions are OK.

No family concerns but want quiet area as I do like to sleep at night. BG's are no interest.

Altos.

Anywhere but Thailand! :)

on Samui

hope that helps

cheers.

Altos.

Premier ist not better than Indy - I had both. If you want to have faster internet it is not a question of location but time. Just use it when you come home. I never had a problem at 3 in the morning. I write from Pattaya. The living conditions are great and we have a lot of hospitals here if there is a problem with that. Just don't look at the bills and you will feel great! Be careful if you want to cross a road. There is often more traffic than in Bkk. But no need to look up or down.

Try Singapore. Seriously, they are all lacking on international bandwidht...

singapore????

must be a joke......with all the censorship laws and such???????

Topic in hand is internet speeds, not cesorship laws....

I downloaded a full 700mb movie last night ( The Hangover ) ...............in 24 minutes. :)

It would take days in Thailand.

Not Necessarily. I live in Northern Bangkok, not too far from Minburi, off Ramintra Road, close to Fashion Island. I have a True account, 4 megs. Always at least 3.5 meg download, sometimes a little higher than 4 (esp on weekends, for some reason). I regularly download movies and shows via torrents and rapidshare. Takes about 25-30 minutes for a movie (700 mb). I can always start downloading my shows an hour or so before I want to watch them and they are always ready to go.

In the 6 or so years I have had high speed, I have had maybe 5 service outages, never lasting more than half a day. Pretty good record, if you ask me!

I'll do a speed test later today when I get home if you need proof.

Maybe I should have said it would have taken me days to download with my IpStar LOxinfo sattelite connection in my house. 256/128 in wich my speedtest results are actually always over 200Kbs, but downloading from torrent sites is slow.

Yes, you have a very impressive connection speed, can't quite understand why so many people complain when speeds like yours are available, what's the cost of your package Tom ?

My iPStar is around about 1600 Baht a month, not much choice up country for me I'm afraid. :)

No need for prove anything to me Tom, but feel free to piss of all the other folks who are getting a crap service in Thailand. :D

Another test 1 minute ago.

566397962.png

The package I am using is the equivalent of 8 - 900 Baht per Month.

Half of what I pay in Thailand for a very slow service.

Edited by Maigo6

I downloaded a full 700mb movie last night ( The Hangover ) ...............in 24 minutes. :)

as with Toms experience , I also have a TRUE 4096/512 for 1060 baht per month and I get full speed outside of congested hours.

I throttle my torrents to 150Kbytes down and with good seeding it sits there 24hours a day at that rate - my torrent machine is an old mini desktop running headless.

skype youtube and browsing via multiple comps on the network have not issues.

I do suspect that many peoples problems with their internet are of their own making - you cannnot expect high performance out of a badly maintained , overweight , non optimised system.

on Samui

hope that helps

cheers.

Altos.

Hi just to expand on the info i gave above, after talking with CAT the ADSL service is only 2mg no other speed option :) the CDMA usb dongle is 6,500 Baht and the first 3 months are free. After the free time is up its 850 Baht per month.

Another forum member said the ais/Dtac edge is only a effective 115k speed due to them not running it at full capacity.

Personally i notice a difference between indy and premier but there are variables in their system that im not privy to that im sure affect the data flow control.

Still unsure of satellite options here but the ping puts me off the idea :/

cheers

Try Singapore. Seriously, they are all lacking on international bandwidht...

singapore????

must be a joke......with all the censorship laws and such???????

Topic in hand is internet speeds, not cesorship laws....

True enough. It's a red herring though - I haven't actually noticed any sites being blocked in Singapore anyway. It seems to be movies in theaters, print media, and television that get censored, not the internet.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I have the JI-Net Bizconnext 2MB plan on a TOT line. Been with JI-Net for about 10 months now and the uptime reliability has been around 99.99% with very good international speeds. I "had" the TOT Goldcyber internet for about 6 weeks--too much downtime and slow international speed on many (most) days.

http://www.ji-net.com/home/indexget.php?pid=122

Maybe I should have said it would have taken me days to download with my IpStar LOxinfo sattelite connection in my house. 256/128 in wich my speedtest results are actually always over 200Kbs, but downloading from torrent sites is slow.

Yes, you have a very impressive connection speed, can't quite understand why so many people complain when speeds like yours are available, what's the cost of your package Tom ?

My iPStar is around about 1600 Baht a month, not much choice up country for me I'm afraid. :)

No need for prove anything to me Tom, but feel free to piss of all the other folks who are getting a crap service in Thailand. :D

Another test 1 minute ago.

566397962.png

The package I am using is the equivalent of 8 - 900 Baht per Month.

Half of what I pay in Thailand for a very slow service.

I pay around 400 baht per month for speeds like this

566893727.png

But the time it takes to download movies etc. often depends more on who you can connect to than your own speed. I did download a NBA game once where I connected to someone uploading at 35 mbps. That didn't take long.

But enough about speeds outside Thailand. Unfortunately I have no experience (yet) with the different options in Thailand as I resort to using Edge when visiting. But in about a year or so I will no doubt also be complaining about internet speeds in Bangkok.

Sophon

566893727.png

But the time it takes to download movies etc. often depends more on who you can connect to than your own speed. I did download a NBA game once where I connected to someone uploading at 35 mbps. That didn't take long.

Doesn't count though, as it's just your local connection to Copenhagen. You'll need to check your speed to San Francsico, or somewhere else in the USA for an indication of real speed. I get the promised 4Mbit to BKK with CAT DSL, and the promised 3Mbit with TOT. The CAT DSL works well for torrents - at full speed - but it's very very slow for individual downloads. Contention is too high, clearly. But because it works fast for torrents and download manager, I haven't upgraded to a business package.

The problem is I can't get CAT at my house, and we don't have True here, and we can't get any of the higher speed packages with these providers because we are too far from the exchange. TOT is the only choice, and it's near-useless most times of the day. 3Mbit to BKK are OK, but to the states I had a whopping 0.05 Mbit up/down yesterday. So the provider is bad, but there are no alternatives where I live.

Of course, as I noticed on a fast connection in the USA, as soon as you get past about 10Mbits, your speed will be mostly limited by what the server you are accessing is willing to give you. P2P is the only thing that can saturate the faster connections.

Yep, the TRUE 4096/512 for 1060 baht per month, I'm pretty sure that I live in a neighborhood where most people are very light and casual internet users,though I could be wrong. I think that helps save all the bandwidth for me, haha. I have four coms in the house, but usually download to only one or two of them, though they can all reach good speed. I'm about ready to get rid of True cable tv, I never watch it now, just get my entertainment from downloads and slap them on my usb pen drive straight into my phillips DVD/USB player.

I remember my old 28k modem, that I had like in 1995 to log into Bangkok BBSs. That was such an amazing thing to do back then....lol.

Not Necessarily. I live in Northern Bangkok, not too far from Minburi, off Ramintra Road, close to Fashion Island. I have a True account, 4 megs. Always at least 3.5 meg download, sometimes a little higher than 4 (esp on weekends, for some reason). I regularly download movies and shows via torrents and rapidshare. Takes about 25-30 minutes for a movie (700 mb). I can always start downloading my shows an hour or so before I want to watch them and they are always ready to go.

In the 6 or so years I have had high speed, I have had maybe 5 service outages, never lasting more than half a day. Pretty good record, if you ask me!

While torrents usually go at full advertised line speed (Uuuuusually), that's not the problem with Thai internet. Sometimes web browsing can be incredibly slow (like it was last night for me), but then I start a torrent and BAM, 450kb/s. It's a poor way to gauge internet reliability, consistency and speed, as it really just tells everyone how much bandwidth your line can handle. Internet in Thailand is pathetically slow compared to a developed country's. The problem is that most people are used to the speeds here because they've either lived here too long and are used to sub-par speeds or have simply never had a good internet connection in the first place. That's all there is to it. The bandwidth is completely congested, ping to outside countries is erratic and completely random (online gamers can confirm this). I can honestly say that my browsing speed was much faster roughly 5 years ago, when I got my first ADSL 1Mbit connection from True. The 'peak hour' excuses only started 4 years ago for me. International bandwidth in Thailand has significantly increased since then, but the congestion has gotten worse too. I imagine I'll see another drop in speed when this new cable is going to be used next month.

I remember my old 28k modem, that I had like in 1995 to log into Bangkok BBSs. That was such an amazing thing to do back then....lol.

I'm an oldie IT fart. I remember being thrilled when the 300 baud phone line modems came out giving me an astonishing 30 character per second over the 110 baud I had previously been limited to. It was the old ASR/KSR Teletype machines (with the integrated paper tape punch/reader) which couldn't operate faster than 10 cps. I upgraded to Decwriter and Olivetti to be able to take advantage of the blinding speed of 30 cps. :) Circa 1969. :D

While torrents usually go at full advertised line speed (Uuuuusually), that's not the problem with Thai internet. Sometimes web browsing can be incredibly slow (like it was last night for me), but then I start a torrent and BAM, 450kb/s. It's a poor way to gauge internet reliability, consistency and speed, as it really just tells everyone how much bandwidth your line can handle. Internet in Thailand is pathetically slow compared to a developed country's.

Hmmmm, my general internet is speedy....youtube loads fast, pages flash up quickly, etc. No hangs, no worries. Not sure what you are going on about. Guess I'm lucky (and have been the last several years...?)

While torrents usually go at full advertised line speed (Uuuuusually), that's not the problem with Thai internet. Sometimes web browsing can be incredibly slow (like it was last night for me), but then I start a torrent and BAM, 450kb/s. It's a poor way to gauge internet reliability, consistency and speed, as it really just tells everyone how much bandwidth your line can handle. Internet in Thailand is pathetically slow compared to a developed country's.

Hmmmm, my general internet is speedy....youtube loads fast, pages flash up quickly, etc. No hangs, no worries. Not sure what you are going on about. Guess I'm lucky (and have been the last several years...?)

Sort of. The infrastructure of the internet in this country is built so that the further away from civilization you go, the faster your speeds will be. The fact that 'peak hours' is an excuse given to residents in cities from 5pm-12am as to why their internet browsing speed was suddenly reduced to dial-up (not even exaggerating) shows how ruthlessly Thailand's ISPs are willing to fight for customers while completely forgetting to supply the service that they're supposed to in the first place. When I lived in Nonthaburi I never had problems either, but that doesn't mean that there aren't inherent problems at hand that need to be fixed and that companies are acting immorally and borderline illegally (I realize you sign a contract saying they don't even have to give you any service, but who would actually expect a company to follow through on that).

566893727.png

Doesn't count though, as it's just your local connection to Copenhagen. You'll need to check your speed to San Francsico, or somewhere else in the USA for an indication of real speed.

OK, here are some speedtests on international bandwith:

567799269.png

567801144.png

Still pretty decent. Granted the speeds are a lot less when testing against asian servers:

567802558.png

567803828.png

567804561.png

Sophon

Well definitely DON'T come to live in Chiang Mai if internet speed is your priority.  We have gone slow, slower, slowest and into full scale reverse - speeds so low they won't register with the speed check sites.  And from the wonderful TOT - not a bloody word.

Just take a look at this fi you think you have problem in the capital:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tot-Internet...ed-t297080.html

I suspect serious technical, political, financial problems and total collapse is not our of the question.  Land of Smiles at that ! 

Not Thailand is the Answer :) ..but not Indy Maxnet, maybe Premier ..some are ok with it but its a lottery on where you live/end up. Probably not TOT (all seems basic but better basic than TTT indy) ...some say CAT is good (if you can get it) but have to then go for 2K baht plus packages to get the reliability ...P.S. : dont be fooled by the 10MB 3BB promo ...unless you want 10MB for Thai sites ..It ain't intuuuur Jing Jing. (see others on this)

I dont understand.

I have True ADSL, 100.0 Mbps.

I lose internet connection 7-8 times per day.

Sometimes it doesnt connect at all.

I sometimes takes 1-2 minutes to open a web page.

Sometimes I got this time out, so the page is not diplayed, because the connection stops, then suddenly resume.

I took the speed test.

The result is:

Download: 1.03 Mb/s.

Upload: 0.42 Mb/s.

According to the test (on the web page) it means a 800Mb movie in 104 minutes.

Absolutely no way that has ever happened on my computer.

I always have to copy/paste my posts, because I normally lose connection before I finish writing the posts here.

Can this be the telephone line?

I have a feeling there are so many on the same broadband line, it depends when one is online if one wants a fast line.

When I load down a file from internet, I can see in the box that the speed sometimes is about between 5 and 35Kb/s.

I live in Ratchayothin area.

As you understand, I do not know that much about this, so any comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated.