Teaching Conversational English

waza

Hi my GF has dropped me in it. I am in Thailand for an extended holiday and am living with my Gf in north east Thailand. She is a senior manager working for a large company and the CEO ask her if I can give the management team lessons in basic english conversation. She told them I would be happy to do this in an informal volentary setting. So now I have to give the mangement team, who speak no english to very limited english, basic english conversational lessons. I have no expirience in this, cant speak any Thai and have 2 days to prepare. Can anyone help me, please?

Get a work permit for teaching in Thailand like you and half the other teachers here should!

I wish immigration and labour dept. would do their job properly for once in their lives and put the cleaners through the whole English instruction industry and fine all businesses that hire illegal workers .

Get a work permit for teaching in Thailand like you and half the other teachers here should!

I wish immigration and labour dept. would do their job properly for once in their lives and put the cleaners through the whole English instruction industry and fine all businesses that hire illegal workers .

at least a native speaker might be able to teach them conversational English. my ex, college student, girlfriend could read and write 90% and could barely speak conversational English and she was first in her class. Her teachers were either a Thai with a terrible accent or a Philippine teacher, with a terrible accent. It took me months before we could have a real conversation, and at first, had to write them.

Edited by Lost in LOS

Thanks mod.................I am not trying to step on anyones toes,Barky. I tried to get out of it by saying I dont have a work permit, but they said they just want an informal lesson or advice. These people I meet socially. But having no expirience I was seeking advice on how I should format it, to make it usefull for them. I agree, Lost in LOS, many Thai I meet are literate in english but cant converse.

Thanks mod.................I am not trying to step on anyones toes,Barky. I tried to get out of it by saying I dont have a work permit, but they said they just want an informal lesson or advice. These people I meet socially. But having no expirience I was seeking advice on how I should format it, to make it usefull for them. I agree, Lost in LOS, many Thai I meet are literate in english but cant converse.

dotn worry about the work permit crowd many of us are not here in los long enough to worry about such things but that does not mean you can not help thais speak a little english.

i have always had a great amount of success teaching thais by using a basic question based conversation. who, what , where, when, why, and how. lets face it if they can grasp this they will be able to survive. use your imagination on how to get them to roll play. have them draw directions to different plces they need or like to go etc..... good luck pm me if you want more help.

It is must to know the language of your targeted audience or they must know your language. Otherwise there will be communication gap. You may get the help of an interpreter. Your GF may also help you because I think she would be knowing both the languages. Alternatively, use language converters.

Thanks MM, yes I agree role play is a good way to go. I was thinking a lot of visual aids would help. I have read Thai have a very short attention span so it needs to be entertaining. Also I was thinking as this is a company whos main customers are US and Europe, I should just teach meet and greet. I have no expirience in this so your imput is greatly appreciated.

Edited by waza

You don't need a work permit to be a volunteer. I think some people should read your OP more carefully. BTW, why are you doing this for free? I could understand if you were helping some very poor people, but these are CEOs?! I think they are just taking advantage. It's really inconsiderate of you and your time. If they have the money, you should charge them. Teaching conversation English requires time to prepare for the class as you are finding out and there is value in that. At least try to get some language exchange out of it. If they refuse, then I would tell them to find another freebie elsewhere.

Edited by EffectiveAnger

Yes shubh, that is my biggest fear, How do we comunicate. I have given many educational sessions in the past, but that is to english speaking groups. I will use my GF as an interpreter. But have have seen ads for the TEFL course and the say they prefer you dont speak Thai. Mainly when I speak to these guy I talk through my GF or use sign language.

EffectiveAnger they did offer to pay me and ask what rate I would like, I explain that I dont have a work permit so I cant charge. I offered to find them an acredited tutor but they said they prefer me as they are familiar with me. Also I must admit I would like the expirience, so that in the future I could feel confident about giving volenteer services to those more needy. At present I do volenteer my services in raising money for the Lopburi AIDS orphans and this compant has been very generous to this cause . But I am only here for another 4 weeks, so would like to do more when I finally retire here.

Edited by waza

I hope you're not a teacher here with an attitude like this.

To the OP.

Often thais can actually speak more than it first appears, but shyness in using the foreign language, and fears of making errors and therefore looking stupid are initial barriers that are just about always broken when fun is the operative word. Furthermore you're not a complete stranger and have come recommended, or rather are known to them through your girlfriend.

I wouldn't necessarily concentrate on business type language at first, just getting them to speak and want to speak is the main objective for the while. Get some good pictures together where they can talk about what they see or think about based on such prompts; get some basic actions written down onto pieces of card (eg, eating a banana, making som tam, playing a (sport or musical instrument, have a few choices), cooking, kissing, and all the others you can think of) and then getting them to take it in turns to mime where the others have to guess what they're doing using only english. If they can't get it, tell the mimer to tell them the action in english.

Forget about translation, they need weaning off that, it creates dependency, and stops them gaining confidence. If your girlfriend has to be there, try and make her come an hour after you've been with them.

Get some maps, or better still draw some basic ones of near where you all live and work. Get them to give directions, teach them the language of location and directing.

Always consider your own use of language when talking to them. Try to learn which words you use are likely to be difficult for them (eg arrive is easier than get to; beautiful is easier than stunning), don't speak long sentences, but break them up into shorter bits or chunks with pauses between to give them a chance to process what they hear. And if you ask questions to them about whatever, don't leap in with an answer when they don't give you one immediately: hold your nerve and wait for them to speak to you, even if it's to finally say they don't understand.

Get them to describe their favourite people, family members, well-known persons, partners, and so on. Teach them clothes and physical appearances based on what you are all wearing.

Have dinner with them and ask them to tell you all about the foods and stuff that you can all see on the table.

Basically, just have FUN!!

Technically, volunteers need a work permit as well as paid employment. But I don't recall the OP asking about work permits, so I think we can leave that topic for the time being.

You might want to get a decent book, there are some series, such as Interchange (Intro). You may be able to download it. There are discs with it as well and it's pretty much conversational. You might want to have the company get the book for you.

I have taught classes that are very remdial and I don't use an interpreter. The key is keep it simple and lots of repetition. Get them to do much of the speaking.

Your girlfriend may also know a song they like and that can help break the lesson up a little.

How long are the lessons? One hour, two hours?

Best of luck and try to be a good ambassador for all us Farangs!

Hi my GF has dropped me in it. I am in Thailand for an extended holiday and am living with my Gf in north east Thailand. She is a senior manager working for a large company and the CEO ask her if I can give the management team lessons in basic english conversation. She told them I would be happy to do this in an informal volentary setting. So now I have to give the mangement team, who speak no english to very limited english, basic english conversational lessons. I have no expirience in this, cant speak any Thai and have 2 days to prepare. Can anyone help me, please?

Waza should make a conscious effort to speak in slow, simple sentences - easier said that done!

As a general rule, adults will dislike moving around or speaking publicly; teaching can be challenging.

Use the first lesson to set expectations; arrange the manager's chairs in a semi-circle and establish a routine, where you ask a question to each of the students in turn and then invite them to ask each other, around the circle. This will stand you in good stead for subsequent lessons; you just change the English used.

Arrange your lessons starting with formal greetings, classroom objects, colours, sizes, numbers and build into basic sentences about ordering things, asking about days/months/weather, going places. I'd suggest building their confidence with this easy English and then teaching them things which they will find helpful: telephone manner, greeting visitors, asking about family, and asking about holidays and pastimes - just choose one topic per lesson.

Try to increase the student's speaking by questioning them.

For example, when teaching about "What is your/his/her name?" and the student replies 'My/his/her name is...." you should question them "Really? Your/His/Her name is..?" and force them to repeat what they said to gain confidence in speaking more quickly. Before long they will question each other and start enjoying things more.

Once again, speak slowly and don't babble: demonstrate, don't explain. Simple props will save a million words. Everyone will have a great time.

Just teach vocabulary, forget about grammar. There are so many exceptions to grammar rules you might as well forget about it altogether.

My friend you i see him in shop him buy rice come home etc. By learning like this, they can quickly be able to speak to people in English and will then learn by themselves. Don't bother to correct them on anything until they have loads of vocabulary and you can have a proper conversation with them, able to talk about things, express your opinions - so a pretty high level of conversation with totally wrong grammar (so what, no need to be a snob)

THEN get them to read books and you must correct them when they are wrong. If they ask why, just tell them because it IS like that. Get them to write letters and do exercises and correct them and then get them to re-write them. Thais are used to learning and not asking questions, so they need to learn to say things just because that is the right way!

My GF speaks near fluent English after 2 years and never had private English lessons. I haven't taught her any grammar rules or anything like that.

Get them to read as many books as you can, even if they are children's books to start with.

I am a better English teacher than any "English teacher" (weasel in a suit) I have met in Thailand.

To be honest I was doubtfull that this forum would be a usefull resourse tool. I expected to be flamed and ridiculed and the first poster didnt disapiont. However, I have been amazed by the insghtful, supportive post I have recieved. I will take on board the excellent advice you guys have given me. I will speak slowly and pause often, include my group as much as possible and encourage interaction. It will be conducted in a casual, friendly and entertaining format. Include as many visual aids as I can gather. My GF advises me to use an american accent as this has proven to be more easily understandable to my Thai friends than my native aussie accent, believe it or not. lol

They have request that I do a 10 hour course over 5 days, OMB. As of now I have very little material, only whats is in my mind. I have 48 hours before the first session. (as I said my GF really dropped me in it). I have access to computers, printers ect at the company office so I have a lot of work to do. As EffectiveAnger said they are getting this for free so if I crash and burn then there isnt much harm done.

Firstly, you DO need a work permit (officially). It doesn't matter if you earn money or you do it for free (Working of Aliens Act, B.E. 2521). Mind you, that doesn't stop many people from conducting illegal "short courses".

Also, I have discovered that the expectations of the client need to investigated. As an example, I was asked by a resort (up the road), to teach their staff English. I was informed of their requirements & then went ahead & designed a course for them. I informed the resort that it would take about a year to gain any real benefit from the course (no, I wasn't trying to "cash in"). Most of the staff had barely passable English skills.

Within 3 months, the resort cancelled the course. Why? I have no idea but I suspect that it may have had something to do with actually learning English context, as opposed to memorising English phrases (rote learning).

I have the idea, correct or incorrect, that many Thais seem to think that a quick one week course in English will work wonders. The even stranger thing is that are happy to pay for such useless courses.

Of course, this may not apply to Thais who can already speak English with some degree of accuracy. For these people, a short course would be ok.

As EffectiveAnger said they are getting this for free so if I crash and burn then there isnt much harm done.

Right, so don't put too much pressure on yourself. Try to relax and at least get a free dinner/lunch out of the deal. :) I've had so many enjoyable dinners with my students after class and food is a great topic because everyone likes to eat. We focus on vocabulary and then use it for conversation in authentic real-life situations.

Edited by EffectiveAnger

First of all, everybody that has said you do not need a work permit is WRONG! You can surely get away with this, but the law does require a WP for short voluteer engagements.

This sort of thing has also happened to me, and I HATE it. Too impromptu for me. The first time, I was pushed in there, I stood around mumbling not knowing what the f#ck to do. It was embarrassing and totally unproductive. I get the feeling that some Thais feel that a farang can walk into the room, waive a magic wand a few times and, voila, everybody will be speaking English. I mean, come on, what is anybody that doesn't speak English going to learn in one or two sessions? It will be a complete waste of everybody's time, UNLESS!! you can entertain a little and everybody has a good time and they all go away with a good feeling about farangs. This has a lot of intangible value.

Now, if you want out, it's EASY. Here is your speech. "I am a guest here and DO NOT want to break any laws. I REALLY want to do this teaching thing, but have learned that it is ABSOLUTELY AGAINST THE LAW UNLESS I HAVE A WORK PERMIT -- YES I MUST HAVE A WORK PERMIT FOR ANY WORK, EVEN VOLUNTEER WORK FOR ONE DAY. First, I need a letter of invitation from the company. Then I have to apply for the work permit and pay the 3,000 baht fee together with submission of the letter of invitation from the CEO. It may take a couple of weeks or more to get the permit. After I finally get the work permit, I can do it! But I will not, I cannot break the law."

Within a few days, everybody's enthusiam will have melted away and the whole matter will be forgotten.

Edited by TongueThaied

This does not seem to be serious (meaning, most Thais usually hate being serious). So don't take it seriously. Do dress well.

Thanks peaceblondie, I have to get out my best holiday pants lol. This is bloody hard work, I take my hat off too those who do this for a living.

Waza, I didn't mean to come across too tough on you. Actually, I honestly, think that "volunteering" for things is a nice trait. Even though I am not an English instructor, some of my friends are; therefore, I do have some knowledge of the industry.

However, the fact is, an alien needs a WP for virtually every action in this country. So, clearly I was giving you perfectly sound advice to ensure you stay on the right side of the law. Maybe Femi Fan thought this fact was unimportant.

Secondly, many aliens in Thailand earn their living from teaching, and, therefore, it IS in their best interest that they ensure scab labour is erradicated, not just to protect their jobs , but to maintain a reasonable reward.

For every non-legitimate teacher (no WP) working for below average rates out there, the far harder it is for the people who do the right thing and obey the law and follow procedures to be paid well. In other words, non-WP teachers can keep the market value of wages low.

It's just normal and natural market forces at play. If Thais can find people who will teach them English cheper, they will do so. This in turn will have the effect of keeping the wages for all teachers, with or without a WP, low

But, maybe Femi Fan doesn't care about teachers who have done the right thing and complied with the law. Let them eat cake maybe.

And, finally, the more aliens here, especially those who do not intend to stay long term, who break the law, just make life a little more difficult here for those who are trying to make a home in Thailand.

Edited by barky

Hi Barky. I came to Thailand to spend time with my GF relax and see the sights, I am on annual leave so I being paid while I am here, it wasnt my intention to cut anyone lunch, break laws or take advantage of any persons. Like you I have many friends who work here as english teachers, some I believe who shouldnt. I have even considered it myself, my reasearch into indicated that you need no previous experience or skills in education. Also that english teaching positions in Vietnam paid twice the rate as Thailand and Japan is another level altogether. However, for me these rates are unattractive as I can earn more in 6 months in my profesion in Aus than I could earn a year in Vietnam even with my degrees and I have no desire to work in Japan. Again I must state I didnt volenteer for this, my GF did, I would dearly love to get out of it but she would loose face. Scab labour is someone brought in to do and undercut another persons job, this job didnt exist before me and would not be available if I wasnt prepared to do it. As i already stated I offered to organise an acredited educator for the job, (one of my english teacher friend) but they refused. I thank you for your imput and take it onboard.

Cruiser2 I believe you are correct.

Edited by waza

This thread is getting off-topic. I will be watching for flaming. I don't know that anyone is condoning working illegally, but the OP was asking for advise about teaching English. We should focus on that.

Let's remember that many, many legal teachers with work permits still teach part-time and do tutoring that is NOT covered by their work permit. Very, very few people in teaching actually started working legally. Most were illegal and in the process of getting legal when they started work.

That's the reality of it.

You need to assess them first - most Thais are false starters rather than absolute beginners (i.e. they come with some vocab and some structures, most numbers and lots of bad habits). I find the best way, other than an interview which is difficult with so many people, is simply to start with....

"I am Waza. I am Waza" pointing to yourself. Grade you language - that is speak slowly and clearly, but not monotone or pigeon (always correct model from your mouth). The key is always model and drill, so you model it "I am Waza" etc and few times then point at them one at a time (or just a few of them if the class is big) and get them to say "I am Noi. I am Noi" etc.. Move on to you - pointing at them "You are Noi. You are Noi".

You will quickly see how fast they pick it up - if they are bored (i.e. they know it already) etc.. Move with the speed of the class, but don't overwhelm them. Keep to one subject per lesson.

I would suggest you go through this list in some semblance of order:

Pronouns: I, You, He , She, It (maybe They and We depending on their uptake - if not this is next lesson). Cover statement ("I am Waza", "He is Somchai', "She is Noi", "It is a table" etc) and interrogatives ('Is he Somchai?', 'Is she Noi?' - you can prompt with shaking the head/nodding etc) and also negatives ('I am not Fred. I am not Fred' etc - shake that head for emphasis).

Demonstrative Pronouns: This, That, These, Those. You can recap on lesson 1 while you are at it "This is a table", "That is a chair", etc.

Pronoun forms:

I> Subject + Verb [+'s'/'es'] + [object] "I sleep" "He Runs" "She watches" (actually avoid the 'es' endings - its mostly 'h' or 's' ending verbs) "He reads a book" etc.

II> Subject + Verb +[+ 's' / 'es'] + Object Pronoun "He sees me" "John sees her" etc.

III> Suject + Verb 'to be' + Possessive Pronoun "The book is mine" "It is his" etc.

Possessive Adjectives: Subject + Verb 'to be'+ Posessessive Adjective + Object Noun "It is my book" "I is her pen" etc.

Questions: Who, When, Where, Why, How, What.

Ask for and give personal information: "How old are you?" "I am 21 years old" etc. - don't get too complicated, keep the same forms too. This is the starting of basic conversation, but they needed the minimum bricks in place first.

Numbers 1-100 plus 1,000, 10,000, 100,000 and 1,000,000: They will probably know these anyway, so this will be an easy lesson.

Time: Am/Pm (1/4 to, 20 past etc), 24 hour clock, terms like 'noon', 'midday', 'midnight', 'dusk', 'dawn', 'morning', 'afternoon' etc etc.

Dates: Months, seasons, day number ordinals, terms 'fortnight', 'week', 'month', 'calendar' etc.

Everyday object Add some vocab - think of things that may be relevant to them too.

Countable/Uncountable: Many, Much, Some and Any. I suggest you find some stuff from an EFL site to help you teach this, its always quite hard to teach the concept.

Present Simple: Facts "The sun is hot", Routine/Habits "I eat at 75am every day", Permanent Situations "I work here" (there are other forms like instructions but these are often passive, so just concentrate on these main 3).

Present Continuous: Verb+'ing': Actions happening now "I am typing this post", actions happening around now "I am learning the guitar", actions decided now for the future "I am going to Bangkok next month".

You will probably have reached the end of your time by then - If not, throw in some verb and noun vocab lessons (themed - objects ate work, jobs, sports and games, etc.). I doubt you will get to tenses like past, future or the perfects and passive, so keep everything based on today. Don't get too side tracked by pronounciation as it takes some training to accurately teach phonemes (especially the Asian trouble spots like /l/ and /r/).

Hope this help get you started - good luck.

PS: If they did send every teacher that was working without WP's, then nearly every language school in the country would be empty (as they usually do not offer WP's - part timers who are paid in cash mostly) and a lot of government agencies would be stymied in that department too (including the police and various government departments that are taught by language schools and volunteers - often without WP's). Also, as someone said above even those teachers working for schools (permies) with WP's, they often do stuff that is not covered, so are just as illegal (private lessons, after school clubs, sports training, and so on).

Edited by wolf5370

In all fairness I am sorry that she put you in this situation. Dont take this the wrong way but if you are going to teach like you spell her co-workers are in trouble. :)

Good luck! :D

Waza, I didn't mean to come across too tough on you. Actually, I honestly, think that "volunteering" for things is a nice trait. Even though I am not an English instructor, some of my friends are; therefore, I do have some knowledge of the industry.

However, the fact is, an alien needs a WP for virtually every action in this country. So, clearly I was giving you perfectly sound advice to ensure you stay on the right side of the law. Maybe Femi Fan thought this fact was unimportant.

Secondly, many aliens in Thailand earn their living from teaching, and, therefore, it IS in their best interest that they ensure scab labour is erradicated, not just to protect their jobs , but to maintain a reasonable reward.

For every non-legitimate teacher (no WP) working for below average rates out there, the far harder it is for the people who do the right thing and obey the law and follow procedures to be paid well. In other words, non-WP teachers can keep the market value of wages low.

It's just normal and natural market forces at play. If Thais can find people who will teach them English cheper, they will do so. This in turn will have the effect of keeping the wages for all teachers, with or without a WP, low

But, maybe Femi Fan doesn't care about teachers who have done the right thing and complied with the law. Let them eat cake maybe.

And, finally, the more aliens here, especially those who do not intend to stay long term, who break the law, just make life a little more difficult here for those who are trying to make a home in Thailand.

I have some knowledge of the industry too barky. I've been in it for 18 years in this country now. If the argument you are following were that simple, everybody would have a work permit. But unfortunately it's just not that simple. One of the more complex issues that arise out of the need for work permits is that those who can't get one are often some of the best english teachers, while those who do get work permits are not at all suited to english teaching, and frequently have no prior experience. There are many other issues that make up this less than complex situation.

One result is that those who are experienced and useful and often directly qualified english teachers cannot get into university positions if they don't have a degree, any degree. Meanwhile any tom dick or harry with a degree in anything can get a teaching english job at the university. As a result the level of english language tuition is kept below what it should be in the universities of this country, and the pay rates remain low. Experienced and properly qualified english teachers who have their degrees in anything go to other countries where universities pay decent rates for their qualifications and experience.

Instead of just quoting the law verbatim (in a country where laws are less important than conscious choices to enforce the ones that those in power decide to), you might do well to study the reasons why so many decent english teachers don't have work permits.