Bicycle Parts

keithkarmann

Does anybody know of a good cycle shop in Chiang Mai where I can buy pedals and chains etc.

I recently bought a cheap cycle from Tesco (just to ride around the moo-ban) and the first time

I rode it the chain fell off,then one of the pedals broke. It was less than 2000 Baht so obviously

it is not made for 100 kilos of ex-pat,but with a few modifications and a bit of TLC it should do the job.

Thanks in advance. I expect all the usual comments so please don't let me down.

Keithkarmann

maybe a stupid question, but can you take it back to tesco for exchange? sorry, yes, stupid question.

you don't want a 'good' cycle shop, they're selling high-end parts. just a set of pedals could easily cost 2000.

you've got your plain vanilla cheap clunker. best bet is the local guy with a shed off the alley.

he works on that type of bike daily, should be able to get you rolling again quickly. and cheaply.

Best place for cheap bicycle parts is the motorbike shop (meahka) on the road from Mikes Burgers to the day market (Gad Luang). It's before the little bridge on the right.

Another place is on Chiang Puak road. There are two bicycle shops here, both on the left. The first one is Jackie bikes. Jackie sells good quality parts at reasonable prices, but there is a cheap Chinese shop further down. The place is typical Chinese, red frontage and a sour faced owner.

Good luck.

Pull the rear wheel back if the chain falls off, but if the bike is under a week old take it back to Tesco and demand they sort or replace it... don't be fobbed off in there, just make some noise if they won't budge. As others have said, there are cheap bike places all over but if you're prepared to throw 2k pedals on the thing, best off getting a decent brand. I'd recommend Chaitawat (old city) or Top Gear (Chiang Moi) over Jackie any day... the latter has the best top-end parts but is not the nicest person in the world.

Hi all. New to the forumso for my first post here goes. If you are closer to Nimanhemin there is a new bike shop "Jacky Cycle" between Sirimankarajarn and Niman (I think About Soi 3). They have some nice stuff in there, mostly end high bikes and parts.

didn't mean to offend. there are bike shops, and then there are bike shops.

some cater to the high-tech, high-end mtb crowd. and there you can buy a set of pedals for 2000 baht.

that's what? under US$60? but then, those would be the cheap pedals. the latest look brand

carbon fiber road pedals are running around US$500. but then that's stateside prices.

the cheaper time and shimano will only cost about $200.

good luck

Keith, I'm glad you found what you needed. I was going to mention that I bought such a bicycle myself at Makro recently, and the first time I stood up on the pedals for a burst of speed, they broke. Plastic. But you already figured out that plastic isn't the way to go.

To the Jacky discussion, I'll add that I've heard it recently moved from the Chang Phuak location to the place near Nimmanheimen. I never found it at the old location, and I had bad directions to the new location, so thanks to Arunsakda for posting those. I've been bicycling here 3 years and you helped me with your first post. Welcome to the monkey house.