Items Vanishing From Hotel Fridge

Ulysses G.

When I came to thailand for the first time(about 15 years ago ) and we stayed at the little duck hotel which also have their minibars fully stuffed.My cheapskate friend got so upset about when he brought a lady companion to the room that while he was in the shower they would take a drink or a piece of chocolate.

He thought he had the solution and put the entire minibar content in his suitcase before he went out at night.He only forgot to replace it the next day so when the room service came to clean the room they charged him for a complete minibar stock list.

This happend twice to him in a two weeks holiday. :):D

Walked past The Litle Duck hotel and it was being knocked down a few days ago.Shame as it holds sentimental reasons as i met my gf there,but 5 years ago lol.

Walked past The Litle Duck hotel and it was being knocked down a few days ago.Shame as it holds sentimental reasons as i met my gf there,but 5 years ago lol.

The Little Duck is getting a full refurbishment - and long overdue!!!

Anyone remember when the Duck Disco was "the" disco to head to? 12-15 years ago it was awesome! :)

The Little Duck is getting a full refurbishment - and long overdue!!!

Anyone remember when the Duck Disco was "the" disco to head to? 12-15 years ago it was awesome! :)

Had many a good night in Disco Duck with the girls from the office and in those days it was the place for the Bangkok crowd to go to.

Also Star Dice in Naklua was good.

I usually tell whoever is checking me in that I don't want the mini-bar and I ask them to remove it. If they don't, I ask for the manager and discuss it with him/her, ask them what to do or tell them that I will remove everything myself and put it in the closet or in a drawer somewhere out of sight. From experience, I show housekeeping staff where everything is so they don't panic and start charging me. I fill the fridge with the food and drinks I want. I haven't had any problems in any of the hotels I've stayed in so far. I'm polite about it and up front, and I try to remember to tip the housekeeping staff, keep them happy and hopefully out of my hair.

I work with the public day in and day out and I believe most people are genuine. However, there are a few bad apples out there that are intent on causing a commotion. I would only expect that when something goes missing in a mini-bar, the staff will do what they're paid to do, their job and charge for it.

The best thing I can do to protect myself is give the room a once over to make sure everything is in order when I check-in and let them know ASAP if something is missing, preferable while the bellhop is still there.

I have stayed at hundreds of hotels throughout Asia over a period of 15 years. Never once was I asked to pay for something from a mini-bar that I didn't consume.

What level/quality of hotels are we talking about in this thread? Star-rating? One or two?

zero point five! :)

I usually tell whoever is checking me in that I don't want the mini-bar and I ask them to remove it. If they don't, I ask for the manager and discuss it with him/her, ask them what to do or tell them that I will remove everything myself and put it in the closet or in a drawer somewhere out of sight. From experience, I show housekeeping staff where everything is so they don't panic and start charging me. I fill the fridge with the food and drinks I want. I haven't had any problems in any of the hotels I've stayed in so far. I'm polite about it and up front, and I try to remember to tip the housekeeping staff, keep them happy and hopefully out of my hair.

I work with the public day in and day out and I believe most people are genuine. However, there are a few bad apples out there that are intent on causing a commotion. I would only expect that when something goes missing in a mini-bar, the staff will do what they're paid to do, their job and charge for it.

The best thing I can do to protect myself is give the room a once over to make sure everything is in order when I check-in and let them know ASAP if something is missing, preferable while the bellhop is still there.

Same here I tell them to remove all items from the mini bar upon arrival. If they don't like it I tell them that I am the one paying to rent the room, therefore the fridge is for the use of my items not theirs. Any further protests then I would let my feet do the talking.

Just a few comments on hotel bar fridges. I have just stayed last week at the Sangkha Hotel /Motel (near Siskaret ) and at a hotel in Chaing rai . They oth had mini bars but only with complimentry water so i think the stocking of mini bars is mainly for the falung or tourist market as the average Thai would not bother with it.

But on the otherhand whilst i have been in hotels in Pattaya or BKK sometimes i am surprised to find the mini bar fridge prices are similar to 7/11 prices so if it saves treking down to the 7/11 at 2.30 in the morning and spending more money than intended on other items the 5 baht or so extra charged for a sprite or beer is not so bad. I also stay at bottom end of the scale hotels so this may be different if it is a more upmarket hotel where the price difference would be more..

Not sure if I need to rescind my disparacging thoughts from a previous trip...

When work pays for me to stay in BKK, they put me up somewhere nice like Amari Atrium or Boulevard... (then I skunk off to some cheap dive for the days I overstay and am paying out of my own pocket :))...

Last time as I was checking out of the Amari Atrium, two Indian guys on a group tour were doing their top at reception when they were each asked to pay for a couple of mini-bar scotches... I thought, 'typical, can afford an 8,000 Baht Hotel room, but want the reception staff, on 500 Baht a day, to pay the mini-bar"...

Admittedly, a very different star rating to the OP, but it had never occured to me that it they might have been right...

Naaah... I still reckon they were cheap charlies on the scam :D ...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Where exactly was the Disco Duck ??

I remember being taken there on my first trip..but can't remember the location.

Waaay waaay in the back (or it seemed like it!) of the Little Duck hotel!

And yes Meg, how old are you really?? i thought the Duck would have been beyond your tender years? :)

Waaay waaay in the back (or it seemed like it!) of the Little Duck hotel!

Ok then next silly question :)

where exactly is/was the Little Duck Hotel did they change the name to Royal Century Hotel ????

post-2109-1253453289_thumb.jpg

sorry for hi-jacking the thread :D

No not that one. The Little Duck is on Pattaya Klang behind the Kasikorn bank, about 50m from the turn for Pattaya Memorial Hospital and about 100m from the Pattaya Klang / Second road junction.

Dont know if they are keeping the Little Duck name for the new incarnation or not, a while off completion yet but will probably be open before christmas.?

• 2 weeks later...
You actually entered the disco from the side soi at Pattaya Memorial. Car park was there as well.

Ad yep, reckon they stopped operating at least 5 to 6 years ago...

I actually never did that, or knew that entrance existed, i always went in through the front of the hotel, that will be why i remember it being waaay waaay at the back!!! :)

I've heard and read several other complaints of minibar scams at the Diana Inn.

Nine trips and several hundred nights in hotels there. I think I got charged for three bottles missing total. Pisses me off, but I only complained a little.

I have stayed at the Diana inn. Back in 2004, a friend of mine arrived the night before I did. He stayed one night, did not really like it, and moved out the next day. I arrive in town, check in and find out he had moved out. No big deal. I get in contact with him a few hours later and he tells me he had left or lost his travel folder with some papers, documents and $10,000 USD cash. He was staying for several months. He said he called the hotel immediately when he got to his other place and realized he was missing his money. He says, they had "found" his folder. He says he went back and was only missing $600. I guess somebody took a finder's fee.

I actually enjoyed my stay there. Rooms were a bit small but OK. Late night menu was fun to order from.

Just a few comments on hotel bar fridges. I have just stayed last week at the Sangkha Hotel /Motel (near Siskaret ) and at a hotel in Chaing rai . They oth had mini bars but only with complimentry water so i think the stocking of mini bars is mainly for the falung or tourist market as the average Thai would not bother with it.

But on the otherhand whilst i have been in hotels in Pattaya or BKK sometimes i am surprised to find the mini bar fridge prices are similar to 7/11 prices so if it saves treking down to the 7/11 at 2.30 in the morning and spending more money than intended on other items the 5 baht or so extra charged for a sprite or beer is not so bad. I also stay at bottom end of the scale hotels so this may be different if it is a more upmarket hotel where the price difference would be more..

Yeah, I agree with you. Most of the fridge prices are not horrible. Certainly no percentage markup similar to what some American Hotels in the USA charge.

At hotel check-out time, the usual practice for management is to thoroughly inspect your room for damage, missing towels etc., as well as consumed items from your mini bar.

The inspection is normally performed by your room maid.

A room maid who has done her best to make your stay comfortable, would probably expect a small token of your appreciation prior to you checking out. No remuneration could result in a disgruntled room maid, hence, a dishonest report to management regarding your mini bar.

How sweet is revenge :)

My concern is that many hotels with stocked mini bars have items that have been there so long and been handled by so many guests that seals tend to be ripped or falling off, so worried that on day I will be asked to pay for items that they will claim I have been opened.

Probably a good reason to ask them to remove their mini bar items from your room.

My concern is that many hotels with stocked mini bars have items that have been there so long and been handled by so many guests that seals tend to be ripped or falling off, so worried that on day I will be asked to pay for items that they will claim I have been opened.

Probably a good reason to ask them to remove their mini bar items from your room.

Always double check cans and bottles for signs of opening. Also check the base of the bottle/cans. There might be sleeping drugs inserted into the drink and the staff might come later and rob your valuables while you are drugged.