Steak House

keithkarmann

Can anyone please recommend a good place for a steak dinner tonight. Just nice steak and chips will do but please not mega bahts.Thanks in advance (please give directions).

Keithkarmann

A good steak without spending baht maak maak in BKK is hard to find.

I like Tenderloins on Sukhumvit Soi 33. Coming from Sukhumvit it is on the left side a 6 minute walk or so from Sukhumvit, as you get near the end of the area where all the hostess bars are. Steaks from Australia & Argentina (I recommend the Argentinian Tenderloin, which runs about 800 baht with salad & chips). That's the best I've found in BKK for under 1000 baht. They also have a good selection of wines and beers plus several TVs showing sporting events.

Can anyone please recommend a good place for a steak dinner tonight. Just nice steak and chips will do but please not mega bahts.Thanks in advance (please give directions).

Keithkarmann

I like Tenderloins on Sukhumvit Soi 33. Coming from Sukhumvit it is on the left side a 6 minute walk or so from Sukhumvit, as you get near the end of the area where all the hostess bars are. Steaks from Australia & Argentina (I recommend the Argentinian Tenderloin, which runs about 800 baht with salad & chips). That's the best I've found in BKK for under 1000 baht. They also have a good selection of wines and beers plus several TVs showing sporting events.

erm...lang whey to gan for stake and tatties, mind

As with wine, with steak you get what you pay for.

Not true in LOS, here you pay far more than you get for wine. :)

And usually for steak as well, which is why I tend to eat pork most of the time!!

Go to one of the buffalo markets, find a 2/3 term pregnant cow, buy it, butcher it, take the foetus, sell the rest of the cow. Cook the foetus.

Cheap and the most tender meat you'll ever have eaten.

ummm! ok Blinky Freak Bill.

Go to one of the buffalo markets, find a 2/3 term pregnant cow, buy it, butcher it, take the foetus, sell the rest of the cow. Cook the foetus.

Cheap and the most tender meat you'll ever have eaten.

ummm! ok Blinky Freak Bill.

You wouldn't believe how good it is till you try it.

Riverside

The one on the river ...... not the one in the car park

Live band thrown in

up Tha Pae road, over the ping river Hawarat bridge, turn left into CharoenRat Road

http://www.theriversidechiangmai.com/

House special, steak with pineapple and melted cheese on top plus french fries 270 bht

Chicken liver wrapped in bacon 100 bht also very good (as a side dish to share)

Always good, careful with the drinks though V expensive

Only place in Chaing Mai with steak worth eating IMHO.

Edited by pjclark1

As with sex, if you pay for the best you expect something mindblowing but all I want is a good steak at a reasonable price. Some of you reading this would probably think nothing of spending 2000 baht on a good steak meal. But take it from me the vast majority of us just want good value for money and 1000 Baht for two steak meals inc drinks is quite enough to pay.

We have tried steaks at the riverside but we were not impressed, but steaks vary and if you have had a good steak at the Riverside then thats great. We had a steak last night at the Hofbreuhousenn (excuse the spelling-non spraken de douch) next to the night bazaar and it was very good - not exceptional but good. The bill for two of us including drinks was 1000 Baht.

Keithkarman

Keithkarmann

I have eaten at most of the Steakhouses in Bangkok always on the look out for good steaks...

By far the best steaks money can buy is Japanese steak however they run very expensive.

My choice (quality and value for money) would have to be Tenderloins, the guy above knows what he is talking about...Argie Tenderloin is just awesome!

Keithkarmann

I have eaten at most of the Steakhouses in Bangkok always on the look out for good steaks...

By far the best steaks money can buy is Japanese steak however they run very expensive.

My choice (quality and value for money) would have to be Tenderloins, the guy above knows what he is talking about...Argie Tenderloin is just awesome!

It is worth noticing that this is the Chiang Mai forum. The OP might think that flying to Bangkok for his meal would make the steak a tad expensive :)

/ Priceless

It can be pretty good and not too tough.

Marco's has some kind of of Thai beef fillet that he sells for 350 with mash potatoes and mushroom sauce. Of course, it does not measure up to a good U.S. steak, but it is tender and darn good for this part of the world and not a bad price.

Has anyone tried the new open air steakhouse on the corner of Chiang Mai - Lamphun & Mengrai Bridge? Their sign says they serve Thai French Beef.

What the heck is "Thai French" beef?

It is a brand. Like Coca-Cola, or Nokia.

If you go to Rimping Supermarket, you will see this brand name beef, along with a couple or few others; depends what they have in stock at the time.

Chokchai Farms is a famous brand in Thailand; mostly available in BKK.

I buy premium beef very occasionally. Right now Tops has (or had; might have ended) a promotion on Australian tenderloin.

Very expensive at 1250 B a kilo.

Go to Tops, have the butcher cut off a large 3-4" medallion.

Brown some butter, maybe with a dash of EVOO in a saute.

Cook medium rare, serve with organic haricot, maybe a nice Caesar salad....of course some red wine.

Bon Appetit....

(you do cook, I hope? People who don't cook are hopeless, in the nice sense of the word. They are customers only, and will never get the food they want- because they are dependent on others to provide, which will never be to their perfect taste. My 25 satang).

:)

I buy premium beef very occasionally. Right now Tops has (or had; might have ended) a promotion on Australian tenderloin.

Very expensive at 1250 B a kilo.

Go to Tops, have the butcher cut off a large 3-4" medallion.

Brown some butter, maybe with a dash of EVOO in a saute.

Cook medium rare, serve with organic haricot, maybe a nice Caesar salad....of course some red wine.

Bon Appetit....

(you do cook, I hope? People who don't cook are hopeless, in the nice sense of the word. They are customers only, and will never get the food they want- because they are dependent on others to provide, which will never be to their perfect taste. My 25 satang).

McG, how ya going mate? How was the trip?

My favourite is imported Aussie Rib Eye done on the Weber and topped with prawns (shrimps for the uneducated) which have been sauteed in finely chopped fresh garlic and butter with a touch of olive oil. Oh yes, and a decent bottle of Margaret River Shiraz to wash it down. Not the average backpacker fare.

reason for edit: only one b in Weber kettle BBQ's

Edited by Blinky Bill

Someone mentioned Argie beef. I recently read (with horror) that the majority of Argie beef is raised USA feedlot style rather than the traditional grass fed pampas way. The pampas fed beef is what makes Argie beef unique. Projections are that over some time almost all will be factory style. So I don't see the point anymore of paying a premium for Argie beef, it is probably not grass fed.

I cooked a lot when I was younger, but I always experiment with food that I cook myself and am more likely to get what I am looking for by relying on someone who cooks in a way that I enjoy. :D