Can My Son Get A Thai Passport?

My wife and I are not Thai, but our son was born in Thailand 6 months ago, and he already has a Thai birth certificate.

I am aware that Thai nationality requires one of the parent to be Thai. So, I am not asking for Thai nationality, my son already got his nationality (and passport) from my country.

What I am curious about is whether my son can get a Thai passport just because of the fact that he was born in Thailand.

If yes, where should I go to apply for one? Immigration office?

My wife and I are not Thai, but our son was born in Thailand 6 months ago, and he already has a Thai birth certificate.

I am aware that Thai nationality requires one of the parent to be Thai. So, I am not asking for Thai nationality, my son already got his nationality (and passport) from my country.

What I am curious about is whether my son can get a Thai passport just because of the fact that he was born in Thailand.

If yes, where should I go to apply for one? Immigration office?

One needs to be a Thai national to be issued with a Thai passport.

Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the prerequisites of even being considered a Thai national is having an entry in a house registration book which should happen soon after birth. From there everything else can happen (ID card, national health card, passport, draft (for males), and so on).

Edited by momosan

Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the prerequisites of even being considered a Thai national is having an entry in a house registration book which should happen soon after birth. From there everything else can happen (ID card, national health card, passport, draft (for males), and so on).

The first requisit is that one of your parents is Thai at the time of your birth. All else is simply a matter of registration of your nationality.

unless one of the parents was a Thai citizen, or both parents who are foreign nationals also had PR in thailand, then the answer is no, unfortunately.

The Thai birth certificate will also say as much. Unless your child has 'Thai' written as its nationality on the birth certificate, it is not a Thai citizen.

I thought so too, but some of my Thai neighbors gave comments that my son is a Thai citizen and he can even buy a land here.

Thanks for the answers, now I'm sure that passport = nationality.

Your Thai neighbors do not know (and nobody here wants to know) about the 100s of 1000s of people born and raised here in Thailand, whom are already adults, but are not entitled to a citizenship.

• 3 weeks later...

Similar question.

My wife is Thai. We live in the U.S. and have a 16yr old that was born in the U.S.

What do we need to do to get him registered as a Thai citizen and get him a Thai passport and ID card.

Can we do everything at the Thai embassy in the U.S. or is this going to require a trip to Thailand?

I assume we'll need: his birth certificate, passport picture(s), our marriage certificate, my wife's passport/ID.

Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

The basic building block is a Thai birth certificate and you obtain that from the Consulate using proof of wife nationality and US birth certificate (but don't know the exact paperwork trail). There is one other factor and that is a male must register for national service in Thailand so if he enters Thailand in the next few years that could come into play.

The ID card can only be obtained in Thailand and after name listed on a home register in Thailand.

Thank you for the very detailed information. I think we have all the paperwork and will now need to make a trip to the Los Angeles Thai embassy.

At what ages are boys required to enter the military and at what age does this stop being a requirement? And if he is living in the U.S. will he need to submit proof or request a waiver? How does this all work?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the very detailed information. I think we have all the paperwork and will now need to make a trip to the Los Angeles Thai embassy.

At what ages are boys required to enter the military and at what age does this stop being a requirement? And if he is living in the U.S. will he need to submit proof or request a waiver? How does this all work?

Thanks in advance!

They can volunteer at 18. Call up is officially age 20 for the 'lucky' lottery winners. Living abroad permanently is generally accepted for deferrment of service.

My nephew was an army cadet at his Thai high school and I believe this also counts as deferment from being applicable from national service for those living in Thailand although I stand to be corrected.