Land Recorded In Name Of Children

I'm aware that, in Thailand, land can be in recorded in the name of a Thai child (i.e. the name on the chanoot is a Thai child), and I understand that the land cannot then be sold unless there is a court order until the child reaches the age of maturity, however I'm unclear about some surrounding questions:

- What is the age of maturity for such purposes? I'm gueesing that it's 18 but then again maybe it's 21?

- Can there be an additional clause recorded on the chaoot that the land cannot be sold (unless there is a court order) until say that person is 25 years old (in other words, an age which is in fact higher then what is required as a minimum age by the law for this matter)?

Any members have any actual experience with this?

Thanks

Bad things can happen to kids. Like motorcycle accidents, deadly illness etc.

Then whose land is it?

Scott has raised one of the potential negatives of putting land in the name of a child - particularly if the reason for doing so is distrust of the Thai spouse and/or his/her family. Minor children can't prepare a Will so that means if they die the assets are distributed as per Thai law - various percentages are left to family members according to a formula (see www.thailawonline.com or many other legal sources for a copy of this info). Farang spouse/parent only receives a certain proportion, which they can't keep anyway & must sell to a Thai within a year

I'm aware that, in Thailand, land can be in recorded in the name of a Thai child (i.e. the name on the chanoot is a Thai child), and I understand that the land cannot then be sold unless there is a court order until the child reaches the age of maturity, however I'm unclear about some surrounding questions:

- What is the age of maturity for such purposes? I'm gueesing that it's 18 but then again maybe it's 21?

- Can there be an additional clause recorded on the chaoot that the land cannot be sold (unless there is a court order) until say that person is 25 years old (in other words, an age which is in fact higher then what is required as a minimum age by the law for this matter)?

Thanks

Hi Scorecard,

I bought 20 rai on the name of my son six years ago and recently made my former wife sign over the adjacent land, also 20 rai, to my son as one of the points in the settlement agreement with me still holding the usufruct right on the latter plot.

The age of maturity in connection with selling land is 20 in Thailand. Officially, the property can only be sold prior to the child's maturity with the consensus of the juvinal court. If you want to buy land on your child's name you should make sure you hold the usufruct right. Do this at the time when you carry out the land title transactions at the land office.

All the best

Thanks

One more thing; I always used a lawyer when buying land on former wife or son. I may be a little costly but I believe it is money well spent. The land office will not let you apply for the usufruct right at a later stage. The channot is not worth much to others with you holding the user's right. Keep the land title with you; I have mine in the bank safe. If you want further info, PM me.