Yamaha Spark

Lancelot

My neighbor kindly allowed me to drive his Yamaha Spark (4 speed + manual clutch)

Wow! I only took it around the block but after riding my little Honda CZi 110 mini beast, I felt like I was a rocket pilot by comparrison :)

The shifting was smooth and the manual clutch seemed to give more control. The Spark felt heavier but when I compared it to the CZi, its only a few kilos beefier. The bigger tires were an improvement as well.

At 188cm, the Spark also felt comfortable for me and I could sit erect with out having to lean in to the handlebars.

The bike has only 5.5k on it and he is selling. Guess what he is buying?

CB and you have to guess the last letter... :D

Try the X1R version too..

If they made one with under seat storage it would be ideal.

Er, uh, got eg on my face now, 555+

Actually the bike I rode WAS an X1R. Thanks Mr. L for your post because it made me Google X1R. To be honest, I didn't realize there was an X1R model, I just thought it was a Spark.

Great bike, by the way :)

I thought the X1R was six speed, shifting up. 135 LC engine, carb

Four speed, one down and three up. The owner said it had a carburetor. From what I've read online the Spark is fuel injected, or maybe only some models?

The X1R I rode had front and rear disc brakes and kick start. It must have had a compression release because it kicked over extremely easy, more so than my CZi.

Great bike and I must admit that I was so focused on Sparks that I didn't realize a X1R model existed. I went down and looked at it again and the markigs X1R were there, plain as day. Sorry for the confusion.

Great bike, none the less :)

If you need a fast shifter underbone, these are definitely bikes to consider.

When I went to buy my Nuovo Elegance from Yamaha Square in Ratchayothin they let me test ride some Sparks and an X1R.

There is a FI version of the Spark, but I only rode carb'ed bikes.

I first tried a semi auto (no clutch lever) and although it was fast, it was very hard to shift since you had to let off the gas and force the shifter hard.

Then I tried the full manual clutch bikes and they were very smooth to shift and very fast for 135cc.

The X1R is most like a normal motorcycle with the 4 speed (one down and three up) and disc brakes on both ends.

Still, I liked the Spark (drum rear brake) more since it had a 4 speed (all down) that made it very easy to go up and down through the gears.

Both had lights to tell you what gear you were in.

Although both bikes were way faster than my Nouvo's automatic 135, I would pass on them even as secondary bikes.

With no storage I'd just as well upgrade to a bigger motard with no storage.

I've read you can order a Suzuki Raider 150 still which must be faster than these too.

I think someone should design one these underbones to look like a real full size bike and put a fake fuel tank on it for storage.

The seat is low enough that any guy could swing a leg over, but the storage would be appreciated and it might look more like a sportbike which a lot of guys would want.

Anyone wearing a dress can still ride any of the other scooters.

• 3 weeks later...
My neighbor kindly allowed me to drive his Yamaha Spark (4 speed + manual clutch)

Wow! I only took it around the block but after riding my little Honda CZi 110 mini beast, I felt like I was a rocket pilot by comparrison :)

The shifting was smooth and the manual clutch seemed to give more control. The Spark felt heavier but when I compared it to the CZi, its only a few kilos beefier. The bigger tires were an improvement as well.

At 188cm, the Spark also felt comfortable for me and I could sit erect with out having to lean in to the handlebars.

The bike has only 5.5k on it and he is selling. Guess what he is buying?

CB and you have to guess the last letter... :D

I bought one of those CZi-110 for my TGF. Although the bike has been perfect and appears very well built I'm somewhat disappointed with the performance. I think part of that pgm-fi is an electronic governor, it goes exactly 100KPH and absolutely no faster. It's well made and will probably last her forever, but I would not want it. Just too slow. At least my CBR is fast enough to get around slow traffic.

I bought one of those CZi-110 for my TGF. Although the bike has been perfect and appears very well built I'm somewhat disappointed with the performance. I think part of that pgm-fi is an electronic governor, it goes exactly 100KPH and absolutely no faster. It's well made and will probably last her forever, but I would not want it. Just too slow. At least my CBR is fast enough to get around slow traffic.

Yeah, normally 100 is pretty much top end.

However, a couple of weeks ago I aired the tires up and headed out to BKK. I noticed that I could do 110+, unusual for my mini beast CZi. Later, When I checked the tire pressure, I found that I had overinflated to +55psi (Yeah, I trusted the pressure guage at the gas station....)