Living In A Village - Was It Tolerable For You?

Lopburi99

I used to love living in the Thai villiage with my Ex.

She stopped her childish behaviour when back in the villiage setting, her family popped over a couple of times a week and always very friendly. She would go off to see them on the motorbike for an hour or so every day.

Im a quite guy and work online, im an indoors type and this suited me well. I had satellite TV, Internet and a nice and very cheap lifestyle.

When we moved back to the city and started mixing with other farangs that is when all the bullshit started again!!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you've thought of this but what the heck I'll toss it in. You're an IT guy and you say you like to be busy. I wonder if you could kill two birds with one stone and do freelance IT from the village. You'd be busy and make some extra money. There are plenty of sites; guru.com, elance.com and others. Or depending on your specialty there might be more targeted ones. I was looking at Spiceworks the other day and wonder if via that community you could do network management if that's your area. In the beginning perhaps it's less about the money and more about your sanity. You could bid low on projects just to get going. The freelance sites like guru.com rank you on references and projects so it's good to get a few under your belt.

There are also some interesting pockets of work I think someone could do well around SaaS. Take popular web services like Freshbooks, Zendesk, Basecamp, MailChimp - the list goes on. They all have APIs, widgets and such to connect with each other. I think there's a good market for both packaging up solutions and custom development. As many SMEs move their infrastructure to the cloud they will need help and the dependency of a local onsite IT guy is going to go down. You can be anywhere - even in the village.

Just a thought...

Another good idea Valjean, thanks. I was wondering if I could locate some IT work to do from here but hadn't searched the net yet. Appreciate the sites you mentioned, I'll check them out. But mostly I am very much a dinosaur now. I haven't programmed in years (Fortran :D , assembler, PL1, VB, C++, etc.) and my knowledge of pc systems and networking are woefully obsolete. I have developed web sites before, complete with internet commerce, but it has been seven years and that knowledge is also out of date. I could perhaps do a straightforward MS Access application but my VBA is stale too :D . I used to teach all this and more at a university but after doing project mgr/dir activities all the hands on stuff quickly got old. I'll still check out the sites you mentioned. Who knows, maybe somebody in a 5th world country somewhere needs some Fortran written :) ? I was an expert Fortran programmer for many years, but that was when 30 characters (bytes)/second modem (acoustic) speeds were blinding fast! :D

If your skills are narrow Google like crazy and see if you can find some active communities, forums like this, on those technologies or skill set. Then get active in that community. That can be a great way to have the odd project come your way because by being proactive you've established yourself as an expert.

For any Microsoft product that are active communities. Look up the Microsoft MVP program - these are the community experts. There are a zillion companies with Access/VBA apps. There are a lot of legacy apps around. I had a friend that made a lot of money with Y2K cleaning up Fortran code at banks, insurance companies and such. They all woke up, saw Y2K coming and not enough people knew how to deal with the old code.

Find something that interest you, find the online communities, become a leader and active like you are here. Things might happen. If not you had some fun online hours on a subject you enjoy other than life in Thailand.

Best of luck to you.

If your skills are narrow Google like crazy and see if you can find some active communities, forums like this, on those technologies or skill set. Then get active in that community. That can be a great way to have the odd project come your way because by being proactive you've established yourself as an expert.

For any Microsoft product that are active communities. Look up the Microsoft MVP program - these are the community experts. There are a zillion companies with Access/VBA apps. There are a lot of legacy apps around. I had a friend that made a lot of money with Y2K cleaning up Fortran code at banks, insurance companies and such. They all woke up, saw Y2K coming and not enough people knew how to deal with the old code.

Find something that interest you, find the online communities, become a leader and active like you are here. Things might happen. If not you had some fun online hours on a subject you enjoy other than life in Thailand.

Best of luck to you.

Great advice again. Thanks and the best of luck to you too.

(So many really helpful members on TV! :) )

Same old same old this morning. The 6am "Good Morning Campers" speech (as somebody said before) for an hour. (Then I got on TV and experienced the ill-fated forum upgrade - not a great start to the day :) ).

I tried using ear plugs last night but had to take them out because it seemed like I was sleeping in a drum, a strange feeling. Put them back in at 6am when the speakers started again and they did help deaden the sound. Not a solution, but they helped.

I'm really feeling badly for my wife. Settling here in her sister and mother's village was her dream it seems.

I promised I would keep trying, and I will. I'll be trying out motorbike rental, frequent travel and other good suggestions.

I promised I would keep trying, and I will. I'll be trying out motorbike rental, frequent travel and other good suggestions.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Village life is certainly not for everybody, so you're not alone.

I have a house in Loei, I also keep a place in Pattaya, so if I ever get that pizzed off, I can leave home at 6am and be in Pattaya by 1 pm.

The area where I live is very nice, I have a car, pick up, motorcycle, dogs, fishing rods, radio controlled boat, BB Gun, Garden, Intenet, UBC, XBox, Playstation, Wii, 100's of Movies, 1000's of songs and I'm happy with life there. Having the choice probably makes all the difference, I can choose country or city, normally I choose country.

Getting Farang food is no problem, there are companies that will deliver from Bangkok to anywhere in Thailand, the delivery costs are very reasonable.

Try Bunters foods Bangkok, great sausages, Pies etc....Delivery in dry ice box anywhere in Thailand, I paid 350 Baht for next day service TNT door to door.

http://www.buntersfoodsbkk.com/Customers.htm

Lopburi 99, I do know how you feel, but believe me, if you are on a budget, and by your posts I gather you are, stay up country for now, and use those earplugs, you'll get used to them after a few days.

Your wife will be incredibly upset if you move away. If you feel you have to move away, please try to exhaust all avenues first mate, cos otherwise, I fear your whole relationship may break down beyond repair.

The wife and family may take it as a snub if you insist on moving away, so you have to tread carefully, don't give any ultimatums, like " It's your family or me ! " it may cause you a lot of grief.

You'll need an understanding wife, and she'll need you to be understanding too.

Best of luck and take care. :)

Edited by Maigo6

You could checkout my blog at VillageFarang. There are a couple of slideshows there and lots of other pictures scattered throughout the blog.

Thanks for link,VillageFarang,nice blog and beautiful pics!

I experienced village life for couple of weeks three years ago.The morning trips with lots of children,gathering bamboo sprouts and mushrooms,along unspoiled landscapes with rivers,ponds and rice fields were great fun.I had some football matches with the locals on the school playground,but i could not speak the local dialect,and it was quite boring in the evening while GF was sitting long time with her family.

Great memory,and i guess if i had no need to work,a good partner and a couple of hobbies,i could live in a village forever.

Thanks for the plug yesterday mauGR1. I noticed quite an uptick in page views from this link. Not sure how many will return or become regulars but one does appreciate exposure. I even wrote a new blog entry today, related to this thread. Just my typical VF take on things.

Same old same old this morning. The 6am "Good Morning Campers" speech (as somebody said before) for an hour. (Then I got on TV and experienced the ill-fated forum upgrade - not a great start to the day :D ).

I tried using ear plugs last night but had to take them out because it seemed like I was sleeping in a drum, a strange feeling. Put them back in at 6am when the speakers started again and they did help deaden the sound. Not a solution, but they helped.

I'm really feeling badly for my wife. Settling here in her sister and mother's village was her dream it seems.

Lopburi, my man....

Keep trying those earplugs and like Maigo6 said, it does take awhile to adjust to 'em ( I used to use on my ex..bitch would talk and I would nod, never would hear it and eventually it went away :D Far away.

And yeah, what was up with the forum this morning? New and improved? Ha! Don't think so.

I gotta get me one of those wii thingeramajiggers...the bowling looks pretty cool..

Beautiful morning out here in the sticks..nice and cool, and my MIL just left to go back to BKK :)

Not sure how many will return or become regulars but one does appreciate exposure. I even wrote a new blog entry today, related to this thread. Just my typical VF take on things.

Very Good Blog VillageFarang, well done. :)

Edited by Maigo6

Same old same old this morning. The 6am "Good Morning Campers" speech (as somebody said before) for an hour. (Then I got on TV and experienced the ill-fated forum upgrade - not a great start to the day :) ).

If you can sleep to music get yourself a good set of in the ear earphones (noise cancelling) load up the I-Pod and you will hear nothing but music I do this on flights returning to the UK or when the frog in our pool outside my bedroom window decides he wants some BOM SING (he is very vocal) and this is in Pattaya

If you can sleep to music get yourself a good set of in the ear earphones (noise cancelling) load up the I-Pod and you will hear nothing but music I do this on flights returning to the UK

or when the frog in our pool outside my bedroom window decides he wants some BOM SING (he is very vocal) and this is in Pattaya

:D

Jeez you guys can be funny at times.

Good idea on the earphones. I'll get some for the wife....the croaking frogs bother her more than me!

I can only guess what Bom Sing is :):D ....So even the frogs like the Pattaya action, eh? :D

Lived in a village 25 K from Khon Kaen for a couple of years back in 1986. It was O.K. but I missed running water, electricity and peace and quiet. The noise in the mornings made sleep beyond 6.00 very difficult.

Offset,

This post reminded me...get ready for electrical brown outs and black outs here. Surge protectors are a must.

They took a full 8 hrs one day a few weeks ago to rectify the problem. They did. Now instead of a few houses having them ( the brown outs and black outs ) now the whole village goes dark.

Remember to buy plenty of candles and a good flashlight. :)

Lived in a village 25 K from Khon Kaen for a couple of years back in 1986. It was O.K. but I missed running water, electricity and peace and quiet. The noise in the mornings made sleep beyond 6.00 very difficult.

Offset,

This post reminded me...get ready for electrical brown outs and black outs here. Surge protectors are a must.

They took a full 8 hrs one day a few weeks ago to rectify the problem. They did. Now instead of a few houses having them ( the brown outs and black outs ) now the whole village goes dark.

Remember to buy plenty of candles and a good flashlight. :)

I have just found out that we are lucky we get a water supply twice a day were most people only get it once

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Village life is certainly not for everybody, so you're not alone.

I have a house in Loei, I also keep a place in Pattaya, so if I ever get that pizzed off, I can leave home at 6am and be in Pattaya by 1 pm.

The area where I live is very nice, I have a car, pick up, motorcycle, dogs, fishing rods, radio controlled boat, BB Gun, Garden, Intenet, UBC, XBox, Playstation, Wii, 100's of Movies, 1000's of songs and I'm happy with life there. Having the choice probably makes all the difference, I can choose country or city, normally I choose country.

Getting Farang food is no problem, there are companies that will deliver from Bangkok to anywhere in Thailand, the delivery costs are very reasonable.

Try Bunters foods Bangkok, great sausages, Pies etc....Delivery in dry ice box anywhere in Thailand, I paid 350 Baht for next day service TNT door to door.

http://www.buntersfoodsbkk.com/Customers.htm

Lopburi 99, I do know how you feel, but believe me, if you are on a budget, and by your posts I gather you are, stay up country for now, and use those earplugs, you'll get used to them after a few days.

Your wife will be incredibly upset if you move away. If you feel you have to move away, please try to exhaust all avenues first mate, cos otherwise, I fear your whole relationship may break down beyond repair.

The wife and family may take it as a snub if you insist on moving away, so you have to tread carefully, don't give any ultimatums, like " It's your family or me ! " it may cause you a lot of grief.

You'll need an understanding wife, and she'll need you to be understanding too.

Best of luck and take care. :)

I never knew about Bunter's. Really good to know! I'll try it out on some sausages.

We visited Loei last year for a couple of nights. I liked the area a lot - hilly and cool and picturesque. We visited a flower growing business and I was amazed to see many of the exact same flowers as we have back in Michigan. But I never considered living there because, you guessed it, of Loei being so far from the family. Actually I wanted to be closer to the seashore anyway. Lovely area though, I can see how you can be happy there.

Very true what you say about being careful with the wife. I already pushed things a bit when I insisted we leave Lopburi and live elsewhere. If I do that again, she will doubtless have resentment which could well develop into a major problem later.

You know Maigo, it is a balancing act. As farangs we sometime have the philosophy "he who has the peso, has the say-so". But when we are paying for everything every day, sometimes we can swing a bit to the selfish or unreasonable side. The challenge is to be able to balance a variety of factors not only when making a major decision such as where to live, but even for everyday matters. If we always give in, over time that becomes a problem where feelings of being taken advantage of, or taken for granted, will probably develop. Furthermore, for many of us anything beyond basic communication with our wife/gf is difficult anyway. To have "meaningful" discussions to help avoid or remedy problems would be great, but are usually impossible. Furthermore, since Thais in general avoid conflict, I know many wives/gfs regularly stuff their feelings and this doesn't help any either.

Edited by Lopburi99

It would be nice if you guys could post some pictures of your villages and your rural lives.

You could checkout my blog at VillageFarang. There are a couple of slideshows there and lots of other pictures scattered throughout the blog.

Great blog and photos! I've emailed the web address to my daughter and friends back in Canada and the U.S., and now they can get a very good view and impression of what my life is like here.

Note: scroll down to see the many photos, and the show at the very bottom.

This site is recommended to everybody visiting this thread.

www.VillageFarang.com

Thanks a million VF!

There seems to be some re-curring themes/rules that if followed could/would make up-country living acheivable.Only a few here seem to have made a success of their time living in the sticks.As everywhere else things like money and relationships are top of the list.Money to get you enough living space where you can retreat if need be.Relationship for crucial support/communication.Speaking the language is definately something to do to pass time.Helping your wife with a business is another way to sucess.I have never been so content as I am now living in the UK.But had I more control of situations I could probably still be living in Chaiyaphum.The years I spent living in Chaiyaphum were sometimes a struggle.(raising kids,building house,business ventures)So in summary I would suggest careful planning and setting up a support network,if you have finacial,relationship,or cultural differences and you have not the will to keep struggling remember there may be a better life elsewhere.

Edited by dee123

Keep up the good work, VF.

We will read the whole blog. And as life happens, don't worry about it becoming kind of stale.

With time, you and your views may change a bit.

Q: Do you ever feel like giving your input, like to shorten the public annoucements?

I found the roosters make sure every body is awake long before the speakers start blaring :)

I'm beginning to think the handwriting is on the wall. We've been in a rural village near Sao Kaeo for about two months and I'm not sure I can adapt.

The most difficult is the early morning noise starting at 6am or earlier (like blasting one hour public announcements, music, ceremonial flute music/chanting, food vendors, you name it) which prevents me from getting a decent sleep and puts me right off in a lousy mood each day. This morning some nearby farmer is burning something and I can't sit outside because of the smoke. Man oh Man.

The wife won't be happy to hear this, especially since her family also lives here in the village (an additional difficulty), but I am thinking life in a quiet, clean high-rise in Jomtien or Pattaya may be a necessity for me. I also really miss the western food and English speaking businesses but that is a different matter.

Has anybody successfully adapted to village life like this? I need to hear a success story.

Hi

Read all the posts and found some interesting.

I have lived in 3 villages in Thailand. 2 in Isaan were like chalk & cheese. Living in the far north near VF (whose lifestyle and viewpoints are similar) is different again except this is Thailand and everything is what we make of it.

Most of the bloggers have the option of taking what at first seems to be the easiest way out, pulling the plug and going "home" or alternatively the big smokes of Pattaya or Bangkok. Some then find out what they lost. Others realise it was the line of least resistance.

We lived in Bangkok for a few years and loved it. Have to agree with the guy who said places like Pattaya eat eat your soul. Same as the ones who drink dawn to dusk & beyond. Dont blame village life look inside and you will find an excuse waiting to be used.

Having resided around Oceania & the Middle East I have found every combination of complaint mentioned in the previous blogs from snakes to noise to people problems all over the place. They are not just in Thailand.

My house is outside the village proper (500m) and midway to the next village. My wifes parents place is 10 km away. I did that deliberately but still had to set the rules for what time they could come over and how they behaved. Talk about trials & tribulations but they adapted.

From here if I want to I can hear the speakers. If I dont - then I dont. and is definitely A house in one village I lived in previously was the village headmans house. You can't get closer to the noise. I adapted.

When I have to go south or O/S its nice but I want to come back here. My wife is developing a similar attitude to others mentioned in the blog regarding being assimilated into western culture but she is still Thai and will remain so.

Lopburi: I have read some of your other subject posts. You seem to be an intelligent ande sensible guy. If you want to get through this and its the right thing for both you and your wife after you have considered the pros & cons then you will.

Remember Thailand is not a welfare state like England & Australia or a group support country country like the U.S. But if you want help or moral support it is here.

Good luck.

Keep up the good work, VF.

We will read the whole blog. And as life happens, don't worry about it becoming kind of stale.

With time, you and your views may change a bit.

Q: Do you ever feel like giving your input, like to shorten the public annoucements?

I found the roosters make sure every body is awake long before the speakers start blaring :)

Thank you very much for your words of support and approval. My muse has been absent recently or at least speaking in a quiet voice that I could not hear.

As for your question, I am not overly inclined to tell others what or how to do things. Sure I have my own views on things but find no one appreciates being told, their way of doing things is wrong. That goes for countries all the way down to individuals.

I try to make my own world bomb-proof to the foibles of others. Trying to change others is often the definition of futility. So I change the only things I have control over. That is usually me, my perceptions and my immediate environment.

It would be nice if you guys could post some pictures of your villages and your rural lives.

Great blog and photos! I've emailed the web address to my daughter and friends back in Canada and the U.S., and now they can get a very good view and impression of what my life is like here.

Note: scroll down to see the many photos, and the show at the very bottom.

This site is recommended to everybody visiting this thread.

www.VillageFarang.com

Thanks a million VF!

WOW! What can I say Lop? I'm a little embarrassed now. I was just responding to Patsycat's request for some pictures and had no idea I would be the recipient of a level of warmth and support that is seldom seen on these pages. Not sure how many found the slideshow "My View" on the left column. That was my main goal.

Not all my musings are mainstream but I like to think that most people can find something of interest in my words to either agree or disagree with. Thank you very much for such a generous gesture of support.

Good luck with your own village adventure.

I guess the lesson the rest of us can learn from this is to stay near or at the place you plan to move to and see if it is livable. We all have different levels of what we can adjust to.

Living in BKK, I don't have the early morning announcements, (that would drive me crazy too), but the roosters crowing, the frogs mating, the dogs going insane, and the roving fruit seller's loudspeaker are still present. I'm lucky that my condo is far enough away from the street that the street noise is quite minimal. As to the rest, I've adapted to all of it except the dogs (the fruit seller doesn't make his rounds until 8 or 9), so I guess I'm lucky.

The stories of success really make me want to escape the city, so I guess it depends on your preferences. I grew up in a small town, (same one as Wayne Gretzky for you hockey fans out there), and while I've lived in some big cities, I'm always happier in a small town. If you're more city oriented, (I'm afraid that my girlfriend is, we keep arguing on where to move to), village life might drive you round the bend, but to me it sounds awesome (aside from the announcements - Are they only within the village? If you set up in the sticks can you escape them?).

Then again, the grass is always greener... :)

Lopburi99: What made you leave Lopburi? It might be one of my options once I can move away from BKK.

VF: I want to add my compliments as well, great blog!

Sorry, I just realized that you've linked them on Google maps - Thanks! (In your Picasa album, could you let us know where the photos were taken? Just a general city or placename would be great, I want to visit some of the places in your photos)

Edited by Meridian007

I guess the lesson the rest of us can learn from this is to stay near or at the place you plan to move to and see if it is livable. We all have different levels of what we can adjust to.

Living in BKK, I don't have the early morning announcements, (that would drive me crazy too), but the roosters crowing, the frogs mating, the dogs going insane, and the roving fruit seller's loudspeaker are still present. I'm lucky that my condo is far enough away from the street that the street noise is quite minimal. As to the rest, I've adapted to all of it except the dogs (the fruit seller doesn't make his rounds until 8 or 9), so I guess I'm lucky.

The stories of success really make me want to escape the city, so I guess it depends on your preferences. I grew up in a small town, (same one as Wayne Gretzky for you hockey fans out there), and while I've lived in some big cities, I'm always happier in a small town. If you're more city oriented, (I'm afraid that my girlfriend is, we keep arguing on where to move to), village life might drive you round the bend, but to me it sounds awesome (aside from the announcements - Are they only within the village? If you set up in the sticks can you escape them?).

Then again, the grass is always greener... :)

Lopburi99: What made you leave Lopburi? It might be one of my options once I can move away from BKK.

VF: I want to add my compliments as well, great blog!

Sorry, I just realized that you've linked them on Google maps - Thanks! (In your Picasa album, could you let us know where the photos were taken? Just a general city or placename would be great, I want to visit some of the places in your photos)

I know I should do more about links but I never envisioned being a tour guide. Some of my more loyal readers have made the same request so I did link a few places on Google maps. It started out that all the pictures were within walking or mountain-bike distance from our house. Later I started traveling further afield on the motorbike or in the truck. I just haven't kept up with my expanding territory.

Cudo's from me as well VF.

I just finished reading your latest installment.

My family just had the 100 day memorial of Grandfather's death on Tuesday here at my house. After the monks ate and the final prayers were said, out came the karoke machine, the whisky, the beer and enough food to feed the troops stationed at the army post up the road.

I still haven't recovered as of today.

And I have met more cousins that I have not known previously who all live here in the village.

I'm returning to the U.S. to visit my children and grandkids next month for 40 days and I'm finding that I really do not want to leave, I miss my kids/grandkids..but love it here as well.

For many reasons and I never regretted for a second leaving there. Without boring everybody to tears with the details, suffice to say Lopburi itself has little, if anything to offer a farang. Very very few farang live there, so no western food restaurants, no western music, almost no english spoken. And very hectic with thousands of motorbikes swarming about haphazardly, cars and trucks everywhere, nearly impossible to negotiate traffic roundabouts due to the cyclists, living hundreds of kilos from anywhere, I could go on and on. It doesn't have the benefits of either a city or a village. The people were great, but they are the same all over Thailand.

But the major reasons center around issues having nothing to do with Lopburi itself. My wife having dozens of good friends who just wouldn't allow us any space, her 26 y/o son and his new wife and baby living with us (in my wife's house) and my having legitimate issues with him I won't detail, and other conditions which left me not in charge of my own life. Even then, I lived there for more than a year trying to remedy the situation until I finally cracked, ready to hop on a plane and go back to America or Canada, and insisting we immediately move. We stayed in Jomtien Beach and Chao Lao Beach for about four months before going to live in the village where we now stay. I learned from that experience and that is why I am trying hard not to have something similar happen again. As I said earlier, you can't swim against the current indefinitely. It wears anybody down -- it always wins in the long run IMHO.

Edited by Lopburi99

I have been living in a moo ban since 2004 apart from the times I have been working offshore.

It is a long skinny moo ban with only one road off to the side and everybody else lives along it.

It is an odd thing but my wife's family come from Bangkok and they come to visit us in the school holidays.

We built on 10 rai of land a small house (5m x 5M and 1 bedroom)in 2003 for my wife to live in while we built the big house 2 stories and 3 bedrooms and 2 toilet shower rooms.

Her mother who is a couple of years younger than me now lives in the small house and I see her most days but she does not come in and out all the time but keeps herself to herself.

My wife has a small shop and restaurant a couple of ks up the road and she is there most days from 9 am to around 8 pm and our 5 year old son and I go up after school for dinners and a few drinks.

I am 65 and my wife is 44 and we have known each other since 1993 and been married since 2000.

As all her family come from Bangkok I am not sure why she owned some land here since before we were married but we have bought more land and had thought of going into farming in a small way but having looked around and read up most of the farming topics on TV it seems to a bad way of making money and a good way to lose it.

I am usually up before the loudspeakers go off and I am not sure if the ones outside on the lamppost even work. The first food car comes along about 5.30 and then they are up and down the road until late in the evening though I am so used to them that I probably filter their noise out.

I used to live and work in Bangkok for a few years and while there were many things to do and plenty of farang restaurants I always felt hemmed in with too many people, too much noise and pollution whereas up here when I take our son to the school bus the silence is beautiful. I can hear the birds from a long way off and even hear the school bus from nearly a km away. We are surrounded by hills and the Mae Wong national park runs at the back of the land.

I know that at some time in our sons future we need to sort out his education but at this stage I have no intention of leaving the village life.

Most of the people from this moo ban and the others recognise me and wave or smile as do most of the school kids.

My main plan in the next year is to learn to read, write and speak Thai well enough to talk to people and be able to read a Thai newspaper or book and if it takes longer, then that is no problem as I have a whole lifetime to do it in.

I have been a member of TV for a long time and most of the posters in the big cities seem to be the least happy or most concerned about their lifestyle while living in their farang ghettos surrounded by high walls, steel gates and barbed wire fences.

For my self I cannot remember the last time we shut the front gate.

There are a couple of farangs in the area and I see a few more on market days but mostly I don't see or speak to a farang more than once a week.

I am content with my life though like everyone I would like more and like most I am to lazy to do anything about it.

Most of the people from this moo ban and the others recognise me and wave or smile as do most of the school kids.

For my self I cannot remember the last time we shut the front gate.

This is one of the biggest reasons I enjoy the village life.

My runs in the mornings coincide with the kids heading for school. Always a wave to me and small talk with some giving it their best go at some English words. Big smiles. Lots of giggles.

Shopkeepers just down the soi always wave or a nod and when I pull up to the market, which is a close friend of my MIL, I don't even have to say what I need..she see's me coming and has it ready when I pull up. The mailman some days motors up to the house instead of using the mail box in front just to say hello and have a chat for alittle while.

The water delivery guy, the garbage guys, and the guy who drops off the electric bill ( who I just recently found out is also a cousin) all the same.

I have found my little slice 'o heaven.

Some views from the front of my house....

post-46099-1253870216_thumb.jpg

post-46099-1253870414_thumb.jpg

post-46099-1253870668_thumb.jpg