Living In A Village - Was It Tolerable For You?

Lopburi99

mind you ive never been near a thai village. but one need not

be a genius to figure out what its like.

ive never married thai rural nor do i want to. but i have to believe all the guys who say they dont give are bullshitting us and themselves.

it s like a girl getting married she has to expect she will haveto get nnekkid every once in a while. un less he marres man 40 years her elder, not uncommon here in the land of delusional farangs

why are you posting on a subject that you have no knowledge.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilarious thread. I have never seen such an outbreak of truth on Thaivisa.

Where are all the superior Brits claiming that they have certainly never experienced these kind of problems and if people do it is because they have no understanding of Thai culture etc.

No doubt the moderators will be along soon using the house accounts to make some posts more in keeping with the fantasy

You have a very good point. Last year, after a less than satisfactory stay at " the village " I got ripped to bits for giving some realistic advise to someone planning to visit a SMALL upcountry village.

Most of the nasty posts came from people living in main centres such as Mahasarakham which is still upcountry but a world away from a tiny village with less than 100 houses.

These people may not even be living there any more!

I dont live in a small village and never could.

I have found after visiting the family a number of times that on the first time or two, you are the talk of the town whether you like it or not. But as time goes by you become less of a novelty.

Eventually you / I get left to your own devices. This is O.K. if it suits you and it does suit me to a point but not when ther is no Thai or western food ( only Issan food up there ) or anyone that can speak english anywhere.

I get on my little motor bike and explore but you just cant do this all day.

I go to the local shop????? and sit under the corrogated iron to drink a couple of beers and watch the world go slowly by.

Maybe take some photos.

Anyone who thinks that you can sit on the ground and lean against a tree beside the lake doesnt live where I go.

You cannot sit on the ground anywhere because of the ants and they do bite.

My next visit will be to the nearest city with air con ( only fans at the village and up to 40C ) and some decent food.

Food is my biggest problem and anyone that can eat that crap ( ants eggs, scorpions, and the toughest beef known to man all cooked with hand fulls of chillies ) has my utmost respect/sympathy.

Good luck.

When we used to get the Allo, We got Radio Ranong. The announcer would come on at 6:00 am. "Good morning to day is...." in English. He had me in stitches one morning as he got the day wrong. He must have been reading from a list and got Tueday and Thursday mixed up. :)

I lived in suburbs in the city limits of Chiang Mai and that was enough for me.

Our first house:

* Factory opened up on the property next door; loud incessant grinding all day every day (Sundays too).

* Issan wife of a German guy down the street hung out all day watching who's coming and going and starting up gossip whenever she could (they had been burned out by the locals on some land they owned in the countryside, so they moved to the city)

* Nightly episodes of loud dogs snarling and barking. One mean dog jumped the fence to get in our yard and attack our little pug dog. Constant problem.

* Bathroom ceiling fell in (due to holes in the outside roof and rain) and almost nailed me when I was in it. Broke the sink off the wall. Owner sent some illegal Burmese "slaves" that worked for him to repair it -- with a rusty hammer and some filthy used drywall. I chased them off, had a few too many beers, and told the landlord what I thought of him. He never fixed the roof, we moved, and he threatened my wife via her cellphone many times. Wanted money to repair the roof!

Move to second house:

Nice walled compound, beautiful home.

* Three small yapping dogs on the street behind us day and night. Tried to talk to the owner. He spoke English (which itself shocked me) who literally said to me: "<deleted> you. This is not your country. Leave if you don't like it."

* Noticed a white film on our cars after washing that I couldn't get off, then realized the grass wouldn't grow well no matter how much water or fertilizer. Me, wife and pets all developed skin rashes. Finally realized there is something in the water supply, but this was vehemently denied by owner and management company. Pulled up and moved; pug dog died, wife and I cleared up after a couple of months.

Left Thailand

i understand its to each their own.

but village life seems downright horrible.

lazy, whiskey drinkin, hard smokin, poorly educated, etc and these are the wimmin! kinda like the indian reservations in amerika.

There Villages and Villages, where I live 5 houses are used as Holiday home only so the people arrive one holidays in the BMW's or Benz, [1x is owned by a German Thai wife and they come here for 6 weeks only in the summer]a number of use are retired, there are 2 Dr's, 2 Bank Mangers, 3 high ranking Military, most of the others are self employed or run Companies.

is yours the exception to the rule or is the norm?

There a a few Villages around here that are the same, from what I have noticed all are about the same they have medium to large single houses...... 1km up the road a very old UK guy lives, mostly all the houses are joined small bungalow type, something to do with the Government Houseing when built, he bought 2 of these and paid less then 1 million for the 2..., lots of the people that live there work in the rice fields so there only busy when there is something to do, lots have motorbikes and there is a loud speaker system, speed humps on the road and lots of old pickups..

Thai friends near me have last month moved to another Village, No speakers but has shops even a Bank, but it is very quiet, they bought a medium sized 3 bed single house and paid 5.2 million.

I lived in suburbs in the city limits of Chiang Mai and that was enough for me.

Our first house:

* Factory opened up on the property next door; loud incessant grinding all day every day (Sundays too).

* Issan wife of a German guy down the street hung out all day watching who's coming and going and starting up gossip whenever she could (they had been burned out by the locals on some land they owned in the countryside, so they moved to the city)

* Nightly episodes of loud dogs snarling and barking. One mean dog jumped the fence to get in our yard and attack our little pug dog. Constant problem.

* Bathroom ceiling fell in (due to holes in the outside roof and rain) and almost nailed me when I was in it. Broke the sink off the wall. Owner sent some illegal Burmese "slaves" that worked for him to repair it -- with a rusty hammer and some filthy used drywall. I chased them off, had a few too many beers, and told the landlord what I thought of him. He never fixed the roof, we moved, and he threatened my wife via her cellphone many times. Wanted money to repair the roof!

Move to second house:

Nice walled compound, beautiful home.

* Three small yapping dogs on the street behind us day and night. Tried to talk to the owner. He spoke English (which itself shocked me) who literally said to me: "<deleted> you. This is not your country. Leave if you don't like it."

* Noticed a white film on our cars after washing that I couldn't get off, then realized the grass wouldn't grow well no matter how much water or fertilizer. Me, wife and pets all developed skin rashes. Finally realized there is something in the water supply, but this was vehemently denied by owner and management company. Pulled up and moved; pug dog died, wife and I cleared up after a couple of months.

Left Thailand

Wow, disaster story Ferd. So sorry to hear all those problems, and that the only solution seemed to be to leave Thailand. You aren't the only one that's for sure, but it's always sad to hear misfortune like that.

This one had me thinking and quite confused - how could "pillow" be mistaken for "speaker" - so I asked my wife - she thought I was the one that was strange - the slang word for speaker (of the Tannoy type) is "allo" (not too far from "pillow") - - the reason it is "allo" is because when the Farang first brought it to Thailand they kept testing it by saying "hello" which to the Thai ear became "allo" and that is what it still is today.....

By the way, we have the allo outside our house - a great alarm clock whether you want one or not. True noise pollution at its most distorted....although I am informed (again...) that the public service broadcasts are actually quite appreciated by the villagers....

Thanks much for that post Rocker. Now it makes some sense to me too. I couldn't figure out where the wires got crossed either. :)

This is a great topic thanks I really enjoyed reading it all.

My wife & I have a house in a village to the north & we also have a condo in CM

For now we leave her parents in the house which is flanked by brothers & sisters houses.

When we stay there I am the only farang & I don't mind that at all. The people are all genuinely nice &

always invite me to their homes & want me have a beer & eat something. None have ever asked me for money. We communicate between my broken Thai & gestures.

Could I live there full time? Maybe...We usually stay only a week or two at a time so it is hard to say. It is quite remote & does not even have internet :D But I was raised in the country side so I do ok when Im there. They are all hard working farmers & builders there. The only market is the daily market

where its all fresh. But like the pictures from skipvice I see that in the afternoons too. If I take a scooter & ride around lots of folks just sitting under the houses in the shade trying to cool off or having beers etc.

I like it when we are at our condo of course because of all the things to do. Theater, foods of all kinds, shopping centers,music etc.

But I must admit on the one hand I like the country better & not to be rude but it is all the loud rude tourist. But where I live when not in Thailand does not have a bunch of loud drunken tourists around either :)

Edited by flying

My wife hails from around Sao Kaeo too, and she do have some property and a nice new modern house there. Its nice for a visit, but neighter of us would ever considering living there full time.

Visiting the village is always nice though and even though people get up early in the morning i can't say i have noticed any "excessive" noise in the morning time from the people staying around there.

Mind you we never stay more than 3 days at a time, so we might just have been lucky with the timing.

I do concur with other on that if staying for a prolonged period a hobby or two, exorcise or other sorts of activity would be a must to keep from being bored out of your mind.

That's a novel "hobby" suggestion I haven't heard yet: exorcism! :D

But who knows, here in the Land of Spirits (or Land of Spooks) maybe there is merit to the idea?

:D:D

And on Thai television there are those eye-bludgeoned possessed old women running around scaring everybody and happily eating bloody creature remains? OMG !!! Potential clients? :D:):D

In the next post, skipvice told me to be careful.

I realize his advice was in a different context, but perhaps care was in order for other reasons.

I mentioned above: "And on Thai television there are those eye-bludgeoned possessed old women running around scaring everybody and happily eating bloody creature remains? OMG !!!"

Would you believe I woke up yesterday morning with my left eye looking bludgeoned! :P A full half of the eye which is normally white was bright red! Fearing some kind of hemorrhage I quickly went to the hospital but fortunately was told by the Dr. it was just a normal capillary problem and no treatment was needed. Just wait about two months (only?) and it should (?) heal itself and return to normal.

That started me thinking. Did I bring this on myself :D ? My wife is strangely mum on the subject. Per skipvice's remark, I think I'll NOT run around scaring the children. We'll leave that to Thai TV.

Besides, I am worrying about my right eye... :D . Relax spirits out there, nothing ermm... personal! Hmmm, looks more bloodshot than usual today... :P

Edited by Lopburi99

My wife hails from around Sao Kaeo too, and she do have some property and a nice new modern house there. Its nice for a visit, but neighter of us would ever considering living there full time.

Visiting the village is always nice though and even though people get up early in the morning i can't say i have noticed any "excessive" noise in the morning time from the people staying around there.

Mind you we never stay more than 3 days at a time, so we might just have been lucky with the timing.

I do concur with other on that if staying for a prolonged period a hobby or two, exorcise or other sorts of activity would be a must to keep from being bored out of your mind.

But who knows, here in the Land of Spirits (or Land of Spooks) maybe there is merit to the idea?

:D:D

And on Thai television there are those eye-bludgeoned possessed old women running around scaring everybody and happily eating bloody creature remains? OMG !!! Potential clients? :D:):D

I realize his advice was in a different context, but perhaps care was in order for other reasons.

I mentioned above: "And on Thai television there are those eye-bludgeoned possessed old women running around scaring everybody and happily eating bloody creature remains? OMG !!!"

Would you believe I woke up yesterday morning with my left eye looking bludgeoned! :P A full half of the eye which is normally white was bright red! Fearing some kind of hemorrhage I quickly went to the hospital but fortunately was told by the Dr. it was just a normal capillary problem and no treatment was needed. Just wait about two months (only?) and it should (?) heal itself and return to normal.

That started me thinking. Did I bring this on myself :D ? My wife is strangely mum on the subject. Per skipvice's remark, I think I'll NOT run around scaring the children. We'll leave that to Thai TV.

Besides, I am worrying about my right eye... :D . Relax spirits out there, nothing ermm... personal! Hmmm, looks more bloodshot than usual today... :P

Sorry about that

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message

and now I can't add a funny emoticon It seams that you used them all up

:D

And on Thai television there are those eye-bludgeoned possessed old women running around scaring everybody and happily eating bloody creature remains? OMG !!! Potential clients? :Dwhistling

Would you believe I woke up yesterday morning with my left eye looking bludgeoned! :D A full half of the eye which is normally white was bright red! Fearing some kind of hemorrhage I quickly went to the hospital but fortunately was told by the Dr. it was just a normal capillary problem and no treatment was needed. Just wait about two months (only?) and it should (?) heal itself and return to normal.

Besides, I am worrying about my right eye... :) . Relax spirits out there, nothing ermm... personal! Hmmm, looks more bloodshot than usual today... :D

Sorry about that :P

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message

and now I can't add a funny emoticon It seams that you used them all up :D

Delete some then in the quote as I have. Only 10 allowed btw.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :P

Just planned my monthly "keep my sanity while living in the village" excursion.

Up and over to Lopburi, then to Nakhon Sawan, then to Thanyaburi, then to Jomtien Beach then to Chao Lao Beach, then back to Wang Nam Yen.

Simple Simon's English Breakfast (Jomtien Beach), here I come! :)

The "Good Morning Camper" speech is back promptly at 6am today, after a lovely two day reprieve for unknown reasons. Sleeping until 9 was too good to be true.

After trying to ignore it or somehow compartmentalize it for 20 minutes, I finally gave up and got up.

Interestingly my reaction has improved from anger and indignation to only a mild state of annoyance. No headache this morning. Thank God for small favors, like my Dad used to say :D .

Speaker still going strong now at 6:50, so I guess we're again in for the full hour of entertainment. So be it. Time for another cup. Wife is still in denial, trying to sleep. Impossible. Or is it? :D

All the farang in Jomtien Beach still sleeping peacefully. Oh well, I'll be there too in a few days. :)

Hmmm, is that smoke I am smelling? More burning today. So much for relaxing on the patio -- back into the house. :D

Edited by Lopburi99

Some interesting and honest responses.

We moved to our very small village about 4 years ago. I am the only farang here and like so many others had to face the cultural shock of a changing from a city lifestyle to living in an isolated, small rural community. Like many others the early morning "broadcast" (5am in our village) was a bit hard to take but surprisingly many in the village complained to the phu yai ban and in recent months they have either significantly reduced the volume or my hearing has been shot to bits.

The issue of handling the cultural issue of everyone walking thro our home and checking out what ever you may have bought that day - even the grocery bags - was a pain in the arse not just to me but also my wife who is a Thai national. She really wanted some private space and I let her organise the best way to achieve this without creating a big problem with family and friends. Her solution was amazingly simple. We purchased 2 pups who have now grown into 60+ kilogram "security guards". They are great family dogs, extremely territorial and have really put the wind up people. Interestingly they never make a problem for my wife's parents unless her dad has been on the booze - then they just stop him at the front gate and refuse to let him in.

The real issue for me is that I miss the opportunity to be able to fully communicate with friends and neighbours as although my Thai is adequate, the village people either speak Isaan or Kemer. They understand Thai but do not speak Thai - not just with me but with anyone. I now know enough Isaan to ask most of the basic questions but thats a far cry from having a meaningful conversation. Thank god I have some farang mates in villages not so far away and as well my wife speaks excellent Thai and English as well as Isaan.

I know this point has been made by others on this thread but I thought it was worth repeating - for me the importance of having a partner that you can share all with certainly helps overcome my shortfall in village communication skills.

We both lead busy lives with two teenage daughters, running a reasonably sized rice farm, setting up a village cooperative and website business to sell our village's Thai silks that we profit share with the village - and having the chance to easily catch up with some other aussies and a few other farangs results in me having a mostly enjoyable village life.

you may be a writer mr hicks, but not a businessman. tv is all about the baht. they not really into serving its members too mut, where it will benefit its competitors.......... :):D

Thanks Iamsam, you're dead right I'm no businessman. Writing books and a blog is simply my way of taking an interest and pleasure in living in Isaan, the hobby that many have mentioned as being essential.

A final point with apologies if anyone has said this already.

Surely a key factor on livinging a Thai village is age. While it can be sleepily pleasant for an older retiree, it would drive a younger man who needs to get a life completely mad. I've seen a few men in their twenties out here and they simply turn to drink.

Andrew Hicks

PS Iamsam??? Dr Suess?

Thai am I, Siam I am. At least I try to be.

Would you believe I woke up yesterday morning with my left eye looking bludgeoned! ohmy.gif A full half of the eye which is normally white was bright red! Fearing some kind of hemorrhage I quickly went to the hospital but fortunately was told by the Dr. it was just a normal capillary problem and no treatment was needed. Just wait about two months (only?) and it should (?) heal itself and return to normal.

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV. 5555

Sounds like you may have conjunctivitis. Eye is red, lid will swell & be tender to the touch. The eye will be sensitive to light.

If you have any of these symptoms, (as I did) go back & TELL them what you have. With the proper drops, it will go away in a few days.

I was beginning to wonder on why I had never heard the dreaded speaker. I checked and found out that there is one down the street, but the neighbors had cut the wire to it around 5 years ago.

It has never been fixed and from what I was told, it will never be either....

( Seems that they got tired of that shit as well...)

I was beginning to wonder on why I had never heard the dreaded speaker. I checked and found out that there is one down the street, but the neighbors had cut the wire to it around 5 years ago.

The monks moved the tannoy that was right opposite the bedroom window after we donated a contribution for a new glass door for the wat.

Get your name in gold, and some peace :)

Now what to do about the neighbours' cockerel.

I thought about putting a bounty on it John, but decided against it. I'm just a visitor (for now anyway). It's their village. But a cut wire is a damned tempting thing to contemplate. Sure would make a HUGE difference to daily life here :) . Maybe I'll reconsider. Who knows? You have me thinking now. Maybe the neighbors hate it also. I'll try to find out somehow.

I'm beginning to think the handwriting is on the wall. We've been in a rural village near Sao Kaeo for about two months and I'm not sure I can adapt.

The most difficult is the early morning noise starting at 6am or earlier (like blasting one hour public announcements, music, ceremonial flute music/chanting, food vendors, you name it) which prevents me from getting a decent sleep and puts me right off in a lousy mood each day. This morning some nearby farmer is burning something and I can't sit outside because of the smoke. Man oh Man.

The wife won't be happy to hear this, especially since her family also lives here in the village (an additional difficulty), but I am thinking life in a quiet, clean high-rise in Jomtien or Pattaya may be a necessity for me. I also really miss the western food and English speaking businesses but that is a different matter.

Has anybody successfully adapted to village life like this? I need to hear a success story.

Personally, I would rather bait a crocodile with my manhood than to try and live like this. Of course it is rather pleasant for a week or two but after that, well..........

I thought about putting a bounty on it John, but decided against it. I'm just a visitor (for now anyway). It's their village. But a cut wire is a damned tempting thing to contemplate. Sure would make a HUGE difference to daily life here :) . Maybe I'll reconsider. Who knows? You have me thinking now. Maybe the neighbors hate it also. I'll try to find out somehow.

"Oh How Sweet It Is!" as Jackie Gleason used to say (on American TV). Today is lovely bliss, cool, peaceful, with nothing moving anywhere.

It rained all day yesterday and into this morning so no food vendors either. Even the neighborhood bass-thumping-music-loving early morning riser isn't to be heard. Once again the village high honcho spared us from the 6am wake-up for some reason.

:):D

post-58274-1254369198_thumb.jpg

Brendan Behan (L) and Gleason ®

post-58274-1254369240_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lopburi99

Has anyone told you to leave the village sir. Its obvious in your writings you dont want to be there.

Welcome to ThaiVisa.

I don't expect you to have read over 200 posts, but let me just say I have no choice but to remain here at through year end. During that time I am trying to adapt because my wife VERY MUCH wants to life here.

We'll see. The next three months will tell a lot.

Regards.

This is a good thread. Wish there were more like this on TV - people sharing their experience, trying to be helpful without being glib or cynical. The topic does not apply to me but I read and learn.

I am not in a position to offer any advice to you OP but reading through it seems a few things recur:

1. Some people like their village and some do not. Obvious I know but it seems to me that there are so many variables down to each person's circumstance (their personality, their partner and her family, the village itself, prvious experience,hobbies etc) that it is hard to generalise anything, that there is no objective advice to offer that would guarantee you a good change.

2. Having said that, the advice about maybe teaching English or getting a hobby to give yourself some structure seems good (do both!). Teaching would also be rewarding perhaps because it would be sociable and a nice human investment and engagement in the welfare of your community. Since you would not seem to be doing it for the money, you could do it just for the experience and bonds it may bring. It is, perhaps, a pity to just pack your bags and leave before trying this or seeking some sort of balance.

And you have found a few people on TV who can sympathise with your experience and offer their own in return..maybe you can keep in touch with them?

This is a good thread. Wish there were more like this on TV - people sharing their experience, trying to be helpful without being glib or cynical. The topic does not apply to me but I read and learn.

I am not in a position to offer any advice to you OP but reading through it seems a few things recur:

1. Some people like their village and some do not. Obvious I know but it seems to me that there are so many variables down to each person's circumstance (their personality, their partner and her family, the village itself, prvious experience,hobbies etc) that it is hard to generalise anything, that there is no objective advice to offer that would guarantee you a good change.

2. Having said that, the advice about maybe teaching English or getting a hobby to give yourself some structure seems good (do both!). Teaching would also be rewarding perhaps because it would be sociable and a nice human investment and engagement in the welfare of your community. Since you would not seem to be doing it for the money, you could do it just for the experience and bonds it may bring. It is, perhaps, a pity to just pack your bags and leave before trying this or seeking some sort of balance.

And you have found a few people on TV who can sympathise with your experience and offer their own in return..maybe you can keep in touch with them?

Thank you for the reply. Your #1 is especially right on. There are sooo many factors involved here. I have already made some moves to do some teaching. The hobby? Haven't identified one yet which works in Thailand on my budget but still considering.

Recently I have found several TV members who seem like great people. Either on TV or perhaps in person we'll continue to communicate, share our experiences and laugh together. Many have provided ideas based on their experience and it has helped. I think the three month plan I have makes sense. I believe after that the decision will be obvious (hopefully not painfully obvious).

Many, perhaps most, TV members sincerely try to give helpful advice. Some, yes, just want to pick a fight with somebody to show off how smart they are, or just to be the jerks they are. But overall, ThaiVisa has been great for me, both for getting information and advice, reading hundreds of entertaining threads (often laughing out loud) and for overall enjoyment by reading about Thailand-related experiences..