New Rule For Retirement Extension

I renewed my 1 Year stay extension today, however despite pre-checking with the IMM office that

my bank deposit plus my certified Pension Income exceeded the THB 800000m rqmt. I was advised

today by my IMM office that new rule came in to force stopping the combination of bank and pension.!

i.e. bank deposit on it's own must be > THB 800000 or Pension has to be on it's own > THB 65000/mth

Has any member heard of this change ?

If true then this is going to cause difficulties for many ex-pats who rely upon pension income and perhaps a small 'top-up' in the bank, especially as quite a few currencies have depreciated significantly against the Baht. I wonder if Immigration will 'grandfather' those already in the system?

Of course, this might just be yet another case of a particular office making up its own rules. I guess that we'll be finding out fairly soon,

DM

I renewed my 1 Year stay extension today, however despite pre-checking with the IMM office that

my bank deposit plus my certified Pension Income exceeded the THB 800000m rqmt. I was advised

today by my IMM office that new rule came in to force stopping the combination of bank and pension.!

i.e. bank deposit on it's own must be > THB 800000 or Pension has to be on it's own > THB 65000/mth

Has any member heard of this change ?

Yes it was renewed, thanks. Maptaphut is my IMM office , also used only THB54 to GBP 1 !

If true then this is going to cause difficulties for many ex-pats who rely upon pension income and perhaps a small 'top-up' in the bank, especially as quite a few currencies have depreciated significantly against the Baht.

B800,000 = approx. US$ 25,000.

If someone doesn't have a pension income that meets the requirements and they don't have 25k to put in a local bank, then they shouldn't be living overseas in the first place.

I might suggest the Philippines for them, the pension or bank deposit minimums are only around 2/3rds of Thailand's.

It is a small office and suspect that it is just a misunderstanding. Be good if visit tomorrow you can probe further (as is that no other office has made any such claim) and ask for a check so that you can inform your friends of the specifuc rule.

I bet you this isn't for real but is one of those outlier office anomolies. BunLover, the combo accomplishes the same thing, showing the same amount of money. Thai immigration has enough workers without needing foreign cheerleaders to applaud and rationalize changes that are not favorable to us.

Cheers!

Edited by Jingthing

If true then this is going to cause difficulties for many ex-pats who rely upon pension income and perhaps a small 'top-up' in the bank, especially as quite a few currencies have depreciated significantly against the Baht.

If someone doesn't have a pension income that meets the requirements and they don't have 25k to put in a local bank, then they shouldn't be living overseas in the first place.

I might suggest the Philippines for them, the pension or bank deposit minimums are only around 2/3rds of Thailand's.

Thank you for that not very helpful comment!

You are, of course, correct in that anyone who cannot afford to live here should not be here - no argument about that. However, if this new rule is true, rather than an unsubstantiated rumour, is it not the case that this is yet another arbitrary change of the immigration rules that will just cause difficulties for some and will not actually benefit anyone? Not that we should ever think that Immigration are there to benefit foreigners in any way whatsoever of course!

DM

DM

OK. Please help me with this -

My first time Retirement Visa has the following history:

5 Jan 2009 - I received a 90 days Non "O" visa, valid till 4 Apr 2009

Within the 90 days period, on 13 Mar 2009 to be exact, I was issued the one year Retirement Visa, and the stamp says its valid until 4 Apr 2010 (one year from the espiration of the first 90 days visa).

My question is, how soon before the expiration (4 Apr 2010) can I extend the visa for another year? And if I will be out of Thailand for a few months, can my Retirement Visa be extended at the consulate in my home country?

Thanks.

30 days prior to expiration of permitted to stay is the normal window but if you have travel arranged it can often be extended. It is not a visa but an extension of stay. it can not be done in your home country. In home country the non immigrant OA visa is available with extra requirements of police report and medical which provides a one year stay on entry.

OK. Please help me with this -

My first time Retirement Visa has the following history:

5 Jan 2009 - I received a 90 days Non "O" visa, valid till 4 Apr 2009

Within the 90 days period, on 13 Mar 2009 to be exact, I was issued the one year Retirement Visa, and the stamp says its valid until 4 Apr 2010 (one year from the espiration of the first 90 days visa).

My question is, how soon before the expiration (4 Apr 2010) can I extend the visa for another year? And if I will be out of Thailand for a few months, can my Retirement Visa be extended at the consulate in my home country?

Thanks.

You should be able to do your next extension up to 30 days before your current 'permission to stay' expires. Possibly earlier by negotiation - ask at your immigration office.

I don't believe that you can do an extension unless you are actually in Thailand so trying to get it done in your home country will not work. You always have the option of getting a totally fresh non-O from your home base of course.

DM

You are actually on extension of stay; your visa died on 4th April 2009. You should normally apply for your extension of stay during the last 30 days of your permission to stay (but some offices will process earlier). If you plan to travel, you will need to obtain a new re-entry permit to keep your new permission to stay alive.

If you are out of the country prior to renewal of your extension you will have to start the process again. Suggest obtain single entry Non-O visa and then apply for extension of stay during the last 30 days of your permission to stay. Some offices will, however, extend early if there is a justifiable travel/business reason to do so.

Edited by thaiphoon

Thanks, Lopburi3.

So the way I understand it, if a retiree goes back to his home country for family reasons, for a period of 4 months (for instance from 2 months prior to expiration of the visa until 2 months after the expiration date) then there may be no way to extend the stay, and the entire process of applying for a Retirement Visa may have to be repeated... Am I correct?

I bet you this isn't for real but is one of those outlier office anomolies. BunLover, the combo accomplishes the same thing, showing the same amount of money. Thai immigration has enough workers without needing foreign cheerleaders to applaud and rationalize changes that are not favorable to us.

I don't understand...where's the beef here. The rule for retirement extensions has been B800k in the bank or a pension of [currently] around B66k per month for what...7-8 years? So basically, for about a decade, everyone has been on notice that this is the financial bar one has to meet for a "retirement" extension. Granted, due currency fluctionations, it may be difficult for some to quality for the monthly pension option at this time...then they should put the money in the bank (they should have had it ready in event of this possibility occurring).

If you are really that close to the financial qualifying line that small currency fluctionations effect your ability to qualify for retirement extension status, you really have to consider whether you should be living overseas...or at least in Thailand. The financial bars are set much lower in the Philippines, Indonesia, and Cambodia [Latin America and India are other possibilities]. The other option would be getting on the visa-run merry-go-round or shacking up with a Thai bird. (The married man's visa is still B400k isn't it?)

You are right. You don't understand. The combo rule has also been in effect for many years. What is your problem with it? The combo ADDS up to the exact same amount of money. Those using the combo method are just as qualified as those using the pension only or bank account only method. Personally I use the bank account method but someday I hope to use the combo method. It is a method that works well for the many many retirees with pensions under 65K baht per month.

The way you write sounds like you aren't even knowledgeable about the combo method to begin with.

Jeez! Nothing bugs me more than foreigners who defend changes in immigration that do hurt some of us. Someday the change might hit you, enjoy reading the posts of cheerleaders celebrating your departure!

BTW, your other country visa advice is highly suspect! Latin America is not a country. Most countries in Latin America have a higher financial requirement than Thailand for retirement visas. India does not offer a retirement visa. You are right people could live in Cambodia easily visa wise (though not a retirement visa) but the costs to live there aren't especially attractive and the medical care is very poor, a concern for older people.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks, Lopburi3.

So the way I understand it, if a retiree goes back to his home country for family reasons, for a period of 4 months (for instance from 2 months prior to expiration of the visa until 2 months after the expiration date) then there may be no way to extend the stay, and the entire process of applying for a Retirement Visa may have to be repeated... Am I correct?

Starting over is not a big deal - the same paperwork is required be it first or 21st. The only extra step would be obtaining a non immigrant visa entry (which can be done at Immigration if required).

1. Obtain OA visa in home country and use that for a one year stay upon return. That is extra paperwork.

2. Obtain O visa and then apply for extension of stay 60 days later - same paperwork/financial as any extension.

Thanks, Lopburi3.

Basically, yes, but different immigration offices interpret the rules differently. Give them a call. Maybe you can do your extension early.

Edited by thaiphoon

My objection is to BunLover's statement that people without such funds should not be living overseas. I can and have lived very comfortably in Thailand on a lot less than the minumum pension requirements, although not a pensioner myself. Yes, to obtain the requisite visas/ extensions you need to show money in the bank etc. but apart from that what has it got to do with living overseas. I could just dump the requisite amount in the bank and leave it for years and live off other income of say Baht 35 to 40K a month quite comfortably. Would that make me unfit to live overseas?

Maybe not explained too well but hope you get the drift.

Edited by GarryP

Thanks, Lopburi3.

Starting over is not a big deal - the same paperwork is required be it first or 21st. The only extra step would be obtaining a non immigrant visa entry (which can be done at Immigration if required).

1. Obtain OA visa in home country and use that for a one year stay upon return. That is extra paperwork.

2. Obtain O visa and then apply for extension of stay 60 days later - same paperwork/financial as any extension.

Option 1 requires a Police Report and a Medical Certificate, but Option 2 does not. Up to you which way you go.

Cheers!

To right sick of guy,s thinking there superior to everybody else :) .

Nongkhai Immigration still has the "combo" rule. 800 K in the bank, or 800 k income, or a combination. I think it is a rumour. Or misunderstood, sorry.

I totally agree. I would bet money on that and that's saying something as I am right old cheap batard! Could be the OP's officer forget to buy a battery for his calculator so he can't be bothered to ADD the embassy letter income PLUS the bank balance. It ain't real!

BunLover, don't buy the champagne quite yet!

Sorry if I am being flip about this, but I really do not take this information seriously.

Edited by Jingthing

Good idea. The Ladies are beautiful and the people more genuine.

My objection is to BunLover's statement that people without such funds should not be living overseas. I can and have lived very comfortably in Thailand on a lot less than the minumum pension requirements, although not a pensioner myself. Yes, to obtain the requisite visas/ extensions you need to show money in the bank etc. but apart from that what has it got to do with living overseas. I could just dump the requisite amount in the bank and leave it for years and live off other income of say Baht 35 to 40K a month quite comfortably. Would that make me unfit to live overseas?

Maybe not explained too well but hope you get the drift.

Well said. BunLover's remark is simple absurd. To live a happy live outside your own country doesn't require a lot of money. I have been living happily on a minimum.

As one friend (who always struggled with making end meet) said: ' I rather be unhappy in Thailand than in my own country.'

I for one hope its duff gen! as I have used the combo rule for the last 3 extensions. Why keep 800k over here when you don't have too?.

Admittedly you require the proof of yearly income letter from your consulate and they ping you for that, but that's a nice run ashore every year. (I know most consulates will do it by mail service too!).

I concur the points made about fellow ex-pats lecturing us all on "what the rules clearly state" :)

Edited by phutoie2