Baby Food Confiscated At Heathrow.

Crossy

I am absolutely livid!!!!

My daughter arrived on monday afternoon, Eva Air from Heathrow. She had my two young grand-daughters (18 months and 6 months) with her. At Heathrow the rent-a-cops confiscated their pre-mixed baby milk, nappy rash cream and Weetabix!!

What did they think the two nippers were going to eat on a 12 hour flight? Plebs!!! She didn't complain to supervisors (not much of a complainer), however I've told her to write to BAA on their return to the UK.

Luckily the airside Boots had the correct milk and cream so all was well, but!!!!!!!

On a plus side, Sophie (daughter) said that Eva were absoultely brilliant with the sprogs, hightly recommended. Unfortunately wifey is having far too much fun with the youngsters, I may have to buy a dog :)

I am absolutely livid!!!!

My daughter arrived on monday afternoon, Eva Air from Heathrow. She had my two young grand-daughters (18 months and 6 months) with her. At Heathrow the rent-a-cops confiscated their pre-mixed baby milk, nappy rash cream, baby food (jars) and Weetabix!!

What did they think the two nippers were going to eat on a 12 hour flight? Plebs!!! She didn't complain to supervisors (not much of a complainer), however I've told her to write to BAA on their return to the UK.

Luckily the airside Boots had the correct milk and cream so all was well, but!!!!!!!

On a plus side, Sophie (daughter) said that Eva were absoultely brilliant with the sprogs, hightly recommended. Unfortunately wifey is having far too much fun with the youngsters, I may have to buy a dog :)

All justifed pacakged food is ok if unopened pre mix milk is potentially deadly. As for Weetabix its just tastes horrible. You will get all your answers at the DEFRA Website

All justifed pacakged food is ok if unopened pre mix milk is potentially deadly. As for Weetabix its just tastes horrible. You will get all your answers at the DEFRA Website

Hmmm, are you saying that pre-mix SMA baby milk in cartons (unopened) are a problem?? It is touted as being ideal for travelling, no mixing, no iffy water on the aircraft.

I suppose Weetabix tastes a bit like C4, but why was it confiscated, it is neither liquid nor gel?

Hmmm, are you saying that pre-mix SMA baby milk in cartons (unopened) are a problem?? It is touted as being ideal for travelling, no mixing, no iffy water on the aircraft.

I suppose Weetabix tastes a bit like C4, but why was it confiscated, it is neither liquid nor gel?

Weetabix becomes gel like when hot milk/water and sugar are added - and mixed thoroughly. A deadly mix if squirted into a persons eye :)

Remember these guys doing the checking at the airports are carefully selected!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by rabcbroon

Remember these guys doing the checking at the airports are carefully selected!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I agree, I had a Mars bar confiscated at Swampy, coz if it gets warm it's a gel (more likely rent-a-plod was hungry).

All was ok in the end, but these guys just have zero intelligence :D

I used to like Weetabix with butter :)

Oh I agree, I had a Mars bar confiscated at Swampy, coz if it gets warm it's a gel (more likely rent-a-plod was hungry).

All was ok in the end, but these guys just have zero intelligence :D

I used to like Weetabix with butter :)

You have recovered since then right?

Weetabix becomes gel like when hot milk/water and sugar are added - and mixed thoroughly. A deadly mix if squirted into a persons eye :)

Carefully selected for what, because it wasn't for doing the job with any common sense. The fact that the OP's daughter managed to buy the food she needed after going through passport control says it all, captive market, no choice but to buy at inflated prices once you get through.

Brigante7.

This terrorism paranoia is getting more and more out of hand.

A friend of mine coming from Canada bought a good bottle of wine at Vancouver airport. All well sealed in the official duty-free-guaranteed-no-fuel-bomb-plastic-bag. Stopover in Hong Kong, he has to change planes. Upon re-boarding the anti terrorism squad confiscated the wine as it is sealed in a Vancouver duty-free bag that is not recognized by the Hong Kong authorities.

^ Pretty much a given NOT to buy any DF booze either side of the Pacific, ie. flight originating/terminating in the Continental US/Canada. If HKG and others don't 'approve' of the other sides carrier bag, then the US security goons will confiscate it on arrival (unless you manage to stuff it inside your checked bags before your recheck them for the domestic hop).

I had a cute but dumb security girl at Narita insist that my official Schiphol issued ziplok baggies for ungents and pastes in handcarry had to be replaced by official Narita ones. The fact that the latter were narrower and longer than the former and meant that the re-stuffed baggies could not be sealed didn't seem as important as making sure it was a Jap baggie. Go figure!

Regards the OP, just some <deleted> at security regarding the bloody Weetabix... but unless stuff is in original, sealed packaging, they will confiscate it. It's for your own protection after all and it's what you pay taxes for.

Was the milk in the cartons - i.e. the same you buy it ready made from the supermarket ?

If so, that would be the reason. cartons over 100ml will always be a problem as it is very easy to put a different label on anything.

We have travelled from LHR, LCY, MAN overseas and also from BKK,FRA and elsewhere. We have carried lots of milk, but pre-made ourselves and in our baby bottles (upto 240ml ). We also carry spare milk powder, and get hot water on the plane when travelling long haul. At MAN they asked me to taste each bottle, to show them it was ok. That seems reasonable. After all, a suicide bomber probably thinks taking his family to heaven with him is the right thing to do.... At LHR and LCY they inspected each bottle by hand. BKK can be a bit lax, and FRA has a seperate security gate for families with babies, so no hanging around - but a thorough check.

Edited by fft100

Carefully selected for what, because it wasn't for doing the job with any common sense. The fact that the OP's daughter managed to buy the food she needed after going through passport control says it all, captive market, no choice but to buy at inflated prices once you get through.

Brigante7.

look up irony my dear girl - then try humour :D

Reminds me when Detroit airport people stopped me from taking three jars of my coveted Smuckers Black Raspberry Jam :) from my carry-on. I could easily have packed them in my checked luggage but never thought it would be a considered a "liquid" (or whatever). I was NOT a happy camper! I had to discard the jam. :D It's not available in Thailand. Blackberry is, but not black raspberry and there is a huge difference.

Edited by Lopburi99

During a recent news report on the BBC relating to the infamous locally grown Pakistani terrorists who started all this off.

( 3 convicted while the rest are on a retrial ) it posted a demo of how they emptied coca cola bottles to refill via injection with the lethal material needed to make the deadly explosives to carry on board.

Before I was annoyed as the OP and others who have been affected in different ways.

Now, I can appreciate why they go to such extremes and appreciate the reasons why.

My chocolate runs, butter and liquid treats I,d lost that went in my carry on luggage really pissed me off, not to mention the grateful benefactors at the Thai end.

Now all the chocky and any other dodgy foodstuffs go in the hold with the main luggage. but the quantity has been cut by several kilos.

It,s the agressive attitude at the check ins I cannot come to terms with.

I set the alarms off at Manchester on my last trip from there and after checking my person in a not to friendly manner, one of the security shouted " get the shoes off and put them on the belt. "

In Doha i had the same problem but what a difference, the security guard politely asked me to remove my wrist support which set off the alarm when it was checked on it,s own.

He put it through the xray machine for me without my asking and showed me the freezed exposure of a thin metal strip inside the material that was used for additional support.

I,d never have pinned it down to that.

How nice and friendly he was, along with wishing me a pleasant onward journey.

It really made a difference to the rest of my trip.

O.K. If your breaking the guidelines due to uninformed misunderstandings but do we all have to be treated as already convicted bomb runners and terrorists ect.

Some passengers deserve attitude but most do not.

The evil bastards and brain washed extremists of the likes in the first paragraph have so much to answer for, how sad it is to witness the effects it has had on society as we knew it not to long ago.

I hate having to say it but things will never be the same again, security or otherwise.

End of my rant

mashbags :)

Edited by marshbags

Just two weeks or so after that show bomber I wanted to board a plane and was asked to remove my shoes for checking. I said, hey, that shoe bomb thing we tried already....note to self....security guards have an underdeveloped sense of humour... :)

Oh Boo Hoo you had something that you knew not to take on a plane taken away from you! It is done for security.

We all have had this experience and the old "I have kids" thing...contrary to popular opinion does not give you free reign to do as you like on an airplane!

Some choice banter of passengers with brats "We need upgrade for more room"

"We have to sit all together, can not be across from each other on the aisle"

"What do you mean my unpaid brat does not get a 30KG baggage allowance?"

Your kids are annoying to everyone else on the plane, and you do not pay for their tickets.

Oh Boo Hoo you had something that you knew not to take on a plane taken away from you! It is done for security.

We all have had this experience and the old "I have kids" thing...contrary to popular opinion does not give you free reign to do as you like on an airplane!

Your kids are annoying to everyone else on the plane, and you do not pay for their tickets.

Wow, that was some outburst, I take you don't approve a families travelling with their children :)

Soooo, you were born fully grown eh?

READ the OP, it was not my 'brats' as you call them, they are my grandchildren, they are 6 months and 20 months and (as you would know if you'd ever had youngsters) at that age they cannot eat airline food (actually, sometimes I cannot eat airline food :) ). There are supposed to be concessions for young children, the rent-a-cops were out of order as the milk was in sealed manufacturers packs (which were replaced from an airside store, luckily). I cannot even think of the reasoning behind a dried cerial being confiscated.

As far as being a pain on the plane, both were apparently little angels the youngest sleeping for all but 2 hours of the trip. Their behaviour since they've been staying with us gives me no reason to disbelieve my daughter on this front.

No upgrade was expected or requested, check-in staff went out of their way to ensure the family were seated together without being asked, the sprogs got 10kg allowance each as clearly indicated on the Eva Air booking.

The kids did not travel free, they both travelled on infant (under 2 years) fares, the young one got a bulkhead bassinet the older one got a seat (not an entitlement as an infant, likely a spare as the flight was not full).

You sir, are an intolerant person (expletive for anal sphincter removed, I am after all a mod :D ).

Interestingly the 'liquid bomb' security aspect was only brought in more than a decade after the first (and only known) liquid bombing of an aircraft http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Airlines_Flight_434 (Philippine flight 434).