District 9

Greenside

Good film, you can either watch it as an alien splatter pic which starts orf with much humour but changes tack half way through or view it on a more political level regarding SA's past previous unpleasantness regarding apartheid and segregation.

Never look at prawns the same way again!

Will watch the Thai DVD tonight.

IP issues aside, it looks to me like the kind of movie best enjoyed in a theatre and it's sufficiently new that DVD's on the stalls are likely to be of Handycam quality I would guess. It's always amazes me when I meet someone who smugly informs me* that they've already seen some yet to be released blockbuster when it turns out they had to view it on a screen the size of a cellphone with sound to match. Where's the enjoyment in that?

*Not a dig at you Chunkton, I hasten to add. :)

Edited by Greenside

I picked one up in Pattaya with professional packaging and it seems pretty much perfect to me.

.....except you can't understand what they're saying. QED. :)

PS I understand they say <deleted> a lot but I don't understand that either.

Edited by Greenside

.....except you can't understand what they're saying.

I think that it is the accents. I can't understand any of those bald British Football Hooligans in Pattaya either and they are standing right in front of me.

I'm told they tend to say "<deleted>" a lot too (whatever it means) :)

Edited by Greenside

IP issues aside, it looks to me like the kind of movie best enjoyed in a theatre and it's sufficiently new that DVD's on the stalls are likely to be of Handycam quality I would guess. It's always amazes me when I meet someone who smugly informs me* that they've already seen some yet to be released blockbuster when it turns out they had to view it on a screen the size of a cellphone with sound to match. Where's the enjoyment in that?

Often the DVD's that you can buy contain 'screener' copies of the original film which are in fact DVD quality with perfect sound.

Unfortunately cinema admittance prices are now so high that many people consider cheaper options of watching these films.

Finally got to see it yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. One caution - if you're watching a version with Thai subtitles beware, much of the alien speech is subbed in English and on the copy I saw they had just dumped the Thai on top which made them almost impossible to read for 90% of the time! I think this calls for a solo rerun for me sometime soon ...

Hubby and I saw it Saturday afternoon at the cineplex at Airport Plaza.

It was an entertaining movie, but are we the only ones who found the seats in their theater 5 to be really uncomfortable? It's a two hour movie, but by the time you sit thru all the trailers, commercials, etc, you're in the seat for over 2.5 hours. Initially, we liked the way you can lean back in your seats and sort of relax, but after a while I noticed the skin on the top of my head was "falling asleep" and I wasn't able to find another position in the seat to ease the pressure on my back. By the end of the movie, we both were leaning forward in our seats, looking like we needed to make a break for the toilets, when in fact we were just trying to find comfortable seating positions.

I've notice this problem in with other theaters at this venue, but this time it seemed to be really bad.

The DVD has been available in Europe for a while now.