How Do You Reply To Thai 's "hello" ?

Deksan

:) Hilarious!

I know it is a hard job to explain Austria-Australia difference.

When I was still an educator in the West, quite often I would have a teacher ask me, "So, are you going to Taiwan again this coming summer?" I would explain, no, not Taiwan, Thailand. Surprising how often these well educated teachers would say, "Isn't it the same thing?"

Now I don't expect everyone to be able to point out Thailand on a map. But I do expect them to know that Taiwan and Thailand are different countries. Jeesh!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most insulting Americans tend to never leave the USA. Trust me that we're all better off for that.

There are certainly exceptions, but the Americans I meet overseas are amongst the best of the lot, and typically aren't extremely offensive (again, I realize there are exceptions).

Regarding English vs. Americans being offensive, one thing I've observed is that when Americans are being offensive, they typically don't even realize it, whereas when Brits are offensive, it's intentional. Not sure which is better... unintentionally clueless or intentionally rude... I guess there are times when the latter is warranted.

In my years of visits here I found that...on average...Americans and Brits are fairly good guests...at least once you get away from Pat Pong and Soi Cowboy. I did run into one Brit several years ago up in Chiang Mai who, though unknown to me, insisted on hitching a ride in the tuk tuk I had just hailed since our hotels were adjacent. Then, all the way he maligned the Thais, loudly enough so the driver could hear every word. I was so embarrassed. When we got to the hotels I hopped out and paid and the Brit began walking away. The tuk tuk driver grabbed him and said, "You pay too!" :) But, that was the story of a rude individual...not a group!

The other negative experience I had was one year taking the boat back from Ayutthaya. After a while I got a little bored up on deck, so went below to the lounge. The German tourists were being extremely rude to the Thais working there. Not sure if that is a general attitude or just this particular group.

While I consider since incidents while observing, I try not to jump to conclusions, but I have seen the ugly American syndrome a few too many times.

Yes, that was a funny story. I have heard similar ones when mentioning Thailand and Taiwan. And, that is from people who were supposedly educated. I live in Canada where many Americans still believe we live in igloos in the frozen north.

What, all Canadians are not Eskimos? Sheesh!!!! The lies they teach in school. :) But you DO all go to work on skis and dog sleds, right?

When I was in London, I had a Kiwi I met at a club and chatted with for a while accuse me of lying about being American. I was speechless when he said 'You're just too open minded and educated to be American. You must be Canadian.' He said it with a straight face. After a few moments of confusion in how to respond, I simply said 'Thank you.'

Edited by KBTexas

A while ago I was walking past a school, some teenagers started yelling the usual "Hello where you from". I wasn't in the best moods and couldn't be bothered relying, just kept walking. Next thing I hear is the kids calling me a dick in Thai language. I just kept walking.

What i really don't understand is how someone who evolved to be a human still manage to think shouting random words theyve heard on the TV in english constitutes a conversation?

when i went to many other 3rd world countries. people would speak to me in their own language that i did not understand+sign language or they'd get out the appropriate 2-3words of english.. yet in thailand, they say thai words mixed with non-sense english word and expect you to understand

When you read the "English" words on many T-shirts it is clear that any random collection of misspelt words are acceptable to a Thai. Equally I have seen many crude comments displayed on T-shirts being worn by 5 year old children.

What i really don't understand is how someone who evolved to be a human still manage to think shouting random words theyve heard on the TV in english constitutes a conversation?

when i went to many other 3rd world countries. people would speak to me in their own language that i did not understand+sign language or they'd get out the appropriate 2-3words of english.. yet in thailand, they say thai words mixed with non-sense english word and expect you to understand

When you read the "English" words on many T-shirts it is clear that any random collection of misspelt words are acceptable to a Thai. Equally I have seen many crude comments displayed on T-shirts being worn by 5 year old children.

I also have been quite amazed by what is written on T-shirts worn by Thais. Although, it's not unique to Thais, ever seem a Farang wearing a T-shirt displaying Chinese symbols, where the wearer has no idea what the symbols mean?

Hello All,

Reading your posts has really brightened an other wise crappy day here in Iraq. Cant wait to return :D

And the

Thai: Where you come from?

My friend: I'm from Austria.

Thai: Aaah, Australia - good country

My friend: No, not Australia, AUSTRIA in Europe, I'm from Vienna in Austria

Thai: Yes, I know..Australia - biiig country

My friend: NOOO, not Australia! AUSTRIA in Europe, Vienna...you know - Mozart?

Thai: Yeah i know - and Kanguruh

To funny :)

Happens a lot when riding motorsai through small villages up in Isaan that someone shouts "hello" and waves as I'm riding past.......... I usually just shout "hello" back. It's always meant in a nice way, so I'm always nice in return.

Christopher Paul Neil would be the only example I could think of THB - I have really only seen Americans and British giving a hard time to Thais and farang of other origins alike a hard time, but there are also some wonderful American and British expats and visitors I have met in my years. I try not to judge a man by the shade of his skin, that way I can find the best in every environment :)

H

First off, I have never been insulted by any Thai in Thailand. Most have been very friendly and respectful. Certainly I've had some funny talks with some gals in Pattaya when neither of us knew enough of each other's language to hold a good discussion. But, we just laughed at our differences and tried to help each other. I guess I just walk around with rose coloured glasses all the time.

However, I HAVE heard a lot of obnoxious comments by farangs from the US, Australia and the UK. Many times I've seen Americans treating working Thais and bar girls with disrespect. Oddly enough, I haven't heard Canadians do the same thing. Maybe it's just that there aren't that many of us in Thailand that I haven't seen it happen. I'm embarrassed when I hear farangs treating Thais with disrespect.

Probably the same kinds of folks who communicate with their significant others with these phrases and nothing else:

1) you like spicey?

2) I like / you like?

3) please, no condom this time?

4) How much sinsod again!?

:D

You crack me up Heng! :D:):D

I think it's FAF when foreigners get their English words mixed up :)

A Thai friend recently introduced her friend to me and said "this is Minh, she come from Sakon Nakon but she not eat dog." Minh smiled at me and shook her head at the same time.

I said "hello nice to meet you, that's cool you don't eat dogs".

Then we moved onto other topics of conversation.

Generally speaking if a Thai says hello to me i say "sawasdee khrap".

What's wrong with dog meat? They actually taste pretty good when fattened up. :D

Janets_puppy_1.sized.jpg

Thats sick Ian.

The little bleeder looks like he knows he's about to get the chop. :D

It is my observation, opinion, that other Asian countries, like the Philippines, China and Japan recognize the importance of Interlang and do a credible job of teaching it their subjects.

There are hundreds of Philipine women who gain Canadian Permanent residency after 2 years as Nannies.

Try to find a Thai who can pass the litercay requirement to take one of these positions!

good one.... :)

… Regarding English vs. Americans being offensive, one thing I've observed is that when Americans are being offensive, they typically don't even realize it, whereas when Brits are offensive, it's intentional. Not sure which is better... unintentionally clueless or intentionally rude... I guess there are times when the latter is warranted.

I was taught as a child: ‘An English gentleman is never unintentionally rude’.

I always rather liked that.

I also have been quite amazed by what is written on T-shirts worn by Thais. Although, it's not unique to Thais, ever seen a Farang wearing a T-shirt displaying Chinese symbols, where the wearer has no idea what the symbols mean?

On two occasions I have (to my shame) been unable to stop myself shouting aggressively at Thai teenagers wearing T-shirts proclaiming ‘<deleted> you W*nker’. On both occasions they looked shocked and perplexed.

Only yesterday, in a smart restaurant in KL (Delicious, Jalan Tun Razak), I sat behind a guy wearing the ubiquitous 'No I don't want a f*c*ing tuk-tuk ...' T-shirt . Maybe I'm just a reactionary old git, but I was irritiated by having to look at this throughout the meal. On eavesdropping, he was Thai.

Although, conversely, it's fun to have my Chinese girlfriend translate characters displayed on Westerners’ clothing, or much worse, on permanent tattoos. Often they are meaningless, offensive, or have strokes missing or are upside down. To her it looks just as stupid as when native-speakers see mis-spelt or nonsensical English.

My favourite so far is a huge single-character tattoo: ‘Table’

What’s that all about then? :)

Reason for edit: Added further rant (so as to fit in here)

Edited by Jingjok

… Regarding English vs. Americans being offensive, one thing I've observed is that when Americans are being offensive, they typically don't even realize it, whereas when Brits are offensive, it's intentional. Not sure which is better... unintentionally clueless or intentionally rude... I guess there are times when the latter is warranted.

I was taught as a child: ‘An English gentleman is never unintentionally rude’.

I always rather liked that.

I also have been quite amazed by what is written on T-shirts worn by Thais. Although, it's not unique to Thais, ever seen a Farang wearing a T-shirt displaying Chinese symbols, where the wearer has no idea what the symbols mean?

On two occasions I have (to my shame) been unable to stop myself shouting aggressively at Thai teenagers wearing T-shirts proclaiming ‘<deleted> you W*nker’. On both occasions they looked shocked and perplexed.

Only yesterday, in a smart restaurant in KL (Delicious, Jalan Tun Razak), I sat behind a guy wearing the ubiquitous 'No I don't want a f*c*ing tuk-tuk ...' T-shirt . Maybe I'm just a reactionary old git, but I was irritiated by having to look at this throughout the meal. On eavesdropping, he was Thai.

Although, conversely, it's fun to have my Chinese girlfriend translate characters displayed on Westerners’ clothing, or much worse, on permanent tattoos. Often they are meaningless, offensive, or have strokes missing or are upside down. To her it looks just as stupid as when native-speakers see mis-spelt or nonsensical English.

My favourite so far is a huge single-character tattoo: ‘Table’

What’s that all about then? :)

Reason for edit: Added further rant (so as to fit in here)

I saw a guy with his gf/wife yesterday wearing a t-shirt that says "Find it, fuc_k it, Forget it". I just wonder if either of them knew what it meant. Then you have people turning up to weddings with "All good in the hood" written on T-shirts, men with shirts that say "my life is a chaotic shambles" or just the general "<deleted> you you F*cking <deleted>". Silly!

Running the gauntlet in lower Sukhumvit - for example the taxi mafia outside the Ambassador...sometimes I take a risk

He says: Hello, Taxi (pointing to the nearest vehicle with a broken meter) I say: Chai khrap, Taxi jing jing

He says: Hello Tuk Tuk I say: Chai khrap, Tuk Tuk jing jing.

then walk on with my best smile

But no matter how often, the same guys ask the same every day 4 times