Western Breakfast In Patong

holidaze

Can anyone tell me where you can get a nice western breakfast - either a la carte or buffet.

We are staying at the Absolute Sea Pearl and don't mind walking as far as Soi Post Office. We have been to Phuket 3 times before but each time we have eaten breakfast at the hotel we stayed at. We chose not to pay up front for breakfasts this time as there are days that you simply are not hungry.

I look forward to your responses.

If you mean heart attack on a plate 'full english' then the best I know of, by a wide wide margin, is the offshore bar.. Black puddings the works.. Proper coronary material.

Not really sure for a continental style.. Used to drop into fiddys for poached eggs on toast for a lighter one.

When you take your morning walk just look for restaurants with lots of tourists eating in them, they are usually in the side lanes of the main roads, generally good food and value for money, that's why the tourists are there. If you don't want to walk around ask other guests in your hotel who have been here a few days you will find them very helpful and friendly.

I can recommend one not to go to, the Irish Pub on Bangla (whats its name anyone?. Ordered a big brekky fry-up, the bottom of the fried eggs were black ... black grease ... I wiped it all off with a napkin and the napkin was black. Doubt the grilled had been cleaned for a while. That was about a year ago, so maybe things have changed.

Of course Yorkshire Inn on Soi Sansabai. Wonderful English breakfast. Black Pudding, mushrooms, beans, sausage, real bacon, fried tomatoes, fried eggs etc. When you go there just order Jumbo Breakfast. It's around 200 and change. But you don't need to eat anything else whole day. It's more than enough and great.

Edited by robertob

If you mean heart attack on a plate 'full english' then the best I know of, by a wide wide margin, is the offshore bar.. Black puddings the works.. Proper coronary material.

Not really sure for a continental style.. Used to drop into fiddys for poached eggs on toast for a lighter one.

Hi LivinLOS,

I don't want a heart attack on a plate but thanks though. I wonder if you could tell me where fiddy's is?

Hi All,

Thank you all very much.

We have taken down some of the excellent suggestions and thank you to those that gave me links to eateries.

I think we'll avoid the ones that are attached to the big hotels as the VAT ( what we refer to as vat, crack, and sack tax) takes a nice chunk.

We prefer the places like the hole in the wall restaurants that are owner run.

I thought I'd have to suss out where fiddy's is but Belfast Mike has told me it's on Soi San sabai. Thank you very much Mike!

Another question though - does anyone know where to get a decent coffee in Phuket. Please don't suggest Starbucks as my husband is still scraping the tar from the roof of his mouth.

Thanks guys

Appreciate that it's almost impossible if you're staying in a hotel, but given that you want this kind of breakfast only sometimes, better you stay in an apartment with cooking facilities. Many places you can buy the ingredients for a good breakfast, then cook at a time you choose (2 am or 11 am!) and in a way that you like it. You also get the benefit of visiting some of the local supermarkets, and at least feel that you're living like a local expat for a short time.

Offshore breakfast gone downhill big time. Used to go 2 or 3 times a week but not any more. They changed the sausage a few weeks ago and it's vile. Bread is tasteless and coffee although you get unlimited refills is not a good one.

Full English breakfast at Montes Restaurant and Bar for 170baht wins hands down for me now. Bottom of hill HaSip Pee Road / Pisitkoranee Road junction.

Didnt know its gone downhill (have a word with Danny, they do listen) as I havent had one in a while.. I know they had a change of suppliers.

One thing I agree with you tho is the coffee.. I will happily pay if they would have something other than instant !!

One thing I agree with you tho is the coffee.. I will happily pay if they would have something other than instant !!

Starbucks think you won't know the difference if you use their new product: :)

Starbucks instant coffee unveiled

The home of the upscale lattes launches a new brand of instant coffee called Via.

Starbucks unveiled a brand of instant coffee Tuesday that the high-end chain says "will change the way people drink coffee."

The Seattle-based company will begin selling a "ready brew" coffee called Via at all of its U.S. locations in a move designed to tap a growing market for instant coffee.

"With a $21 billion global instant coffee business, and instant coffee representing 40% of overall global coffee sales, we believe Starbucks is uniquely positioned to capture a significant share of this market," said Starbucks chairman Howard Schultz, in a statement.

Starbucks has struggled to compete with lower-priced rivals such as Dunkin Donuts and McDonald's (MCD, Fortune 500) as consumers have become more price-conscious amid the weak economy.

However, the company could face resistance from coffee purists who generally see instant coffee as inferior to brewed.

Starbucks (SBUX, Fortune 500) said Via is made with 100% natural roasted arabica coffee and that it took 20 years to develop "a proprietary, U.S. patent-pending microgrind technology" that preserves the taste of fresh coffee.

To help get Via off the ground, Starbucks said it will offer customers the chance to taste it at U.S. stores from Oct. 2 to Oct. 5. Customers will also be given a coupon for a cup of brewed coffee on their next visit and $1 off on a purchase of the instant brew.

Via is sold in packs of three cup-sized servings for $2.95 or $9.95 for a 12 pack. That makes for a cost of $1 per cup, which is Starbucks' cheapest option.

To HDrider, where is boncafe? Thanks for the suggestion, any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you Phuketrex for the suggestion of monte's - I shall look that one up.

Old croc, thanks for the fiddy's link

Pagallim, thanks but we like to stay in hotels that cater completely. I don't wish to cook for the two of us when on holidays but I'm sure some people do.

So I guess we'll have to drink tea while on holidays.

Thanks guys :)

I had their breakfast twice.

Twas OK, nothing special, overpriced.

I have tried the Offshore breakfast and it is good (and reasonably priced) but the all round best place for a full English is the Yorkshire Hotel on Soi Sansabai The regular 195 and the jumbo at 295. The jumbo has the lot including proper thick cut English bacon (4-5 rashers). The food is great at the atmosphere of sky sports news and English newspapers gives you everything you need from a Sunday morning!

Can't recommend it highly enough!

If you want a great coffee, latte etc., and also a more tasty and less greasy breakfast I recommend the Sandwich Shoppe. They make an egg McMuffin etc, that is great. It's not close to the areas you mentioned, but you should be able to get a motobike taxi to take you there cheap enough.