Doesn't Anyone Sell Existing Houses In Samui?

I'm thinking of buying an existing house to live in on Samui or KPG if I can find one at an attractive price. From reading forums such as this one, I had gotten the impression that a lot of people might be having trouble reselling their house/condos and from that it occurred to me that there might be bargains for be had if you wanted a house and you had cash in hand. However I've been visiting Samui for a little more than a week now, talked to 4 different real estate agents plus one Thai who I've been acquainted with for 10 years that "is only trying to help out". All essentially refuse to show me properties with existing houses, all want to show me either undeveloped plots of land on which I can build a house or to show me an artist's conception of community that doesn't really exist yet and probably never will. When I say that I want to see a real house that I can go look at and inspect know, the reactions I get range from pretending that they don't understand what I am saying to telling me that only a stupid farang would want to buy an already existing house because everyone knows that houses cost twice as much if they already exist. The thing is, I actually only want to live in a house that does exist, surely I must be able to find such a thing. No?

I'm thinking of buying an existing house to live in on Samui or KPG if I can find one at an attractive price. From reading forums such as this one, I had gotten the impression that a lot of people might be having trouble reselling their house/condos and from that it occurred to me that there might be bargains for be had if you wanted a house and you had cash in hand. However I've been visiting Samui for a little more than a week now, talked to 4 different real estate agents plus one Thai who I've been acquainted with for 10 years that "is only trying to help out". All essentially refuse to show me properties with existing houses, all want to show me either undeveloped plots of land on which I can build a house or to show me an artist's conception of community that doesn't really exist yet and probably never will. When I say that I want to see a real house that I can go look at and inspect know, the reactions I get range from pretending that they don't understand what I am saying to telling me that only a stupid farang would want to buy an already existing house because everyone knows that houses cost twice as much if they already exist. The thing is, I actually only want to live in a house that does exist, surely I must be able to find such a thing. No?

There are many built houses that are for sale , you are obviously talking to the wrong companys , let me know your budget and i can point you in the right direction , PM me !

I know someone who got a great deal on an existing home. Although he didn't go through an agent, he knew the seller personally.

I also agree about not wanting to buy something that doesn't exist yet because chances are it never will (I just heard another such story an hour ago).

Within 1/2 km of where I live in Maenam, I know of three houses for sale ... One, in a very high end... in gated community, :) the second one has been "westernized" recently, looks Ok but I have not taken a close look.... the third needs to be "westernized" ... well a little more than they tried already... :D Two of the houses empty. The area is quite, no views really, but very pleasant.

I find that many people want to sell FSBO... Especially the Thai's.... when they know a "farang" the $$$$$ start going through their minds!

I also know of one recently built (western sort of!) house on KP, fabulous view of Samui! And also now of several plots of land for sale on KP & Samui... You can PM me if you are interested, in actual locales!

I would think by putiing up ads on various websites, you'll have quite a few to look at. Only downside is that most houses owned by foreigners are owned outright, so they might not be so willing to give a great deal as they don't owe the bank for a mortgage.

You know it's not so silly either, drive around if you see something you like, just knock on the door.You never know.

I'd do as Roo suggests and take a drive around. I have seen a number of signs on houses and roads offering already constructed houses for sale. Of course it depends on what style and standard but there are signs to have a look at one house in the Ghost Road.

I would like to make a very valid point worth considering

Why dont you rent a place for 3-6 months, there are plenty of rentals available across the board...it gives you a chance to get a better feel for the Island and youre not lumbered with a property thats hard to sell if you decide its not for you afterall.(which it proves not to be for quite a few)

I can put you in touch with a guy who bought a nice place along the ghost road towards Bangrak, with its own pool and westernised kitchen...he moved up to Bangers but rents the place either short or longterm, and i think he will negotiate, he might even sell, but it is a nice place in a decent location

Surprised you cant find an agent..theres a few in Bophut

I also know a lady thats quite eager to sell in Chong Mon, near the crazy golf...nice place with pool

PM me if you need further info

And i would just like to add..i have no hidden agenda here and will not profit from any deal that might transpire, just hate to see and hear of farangs being turned over on the island