Why Can't Farangs Pronounce Pattaya?

stevehaigh

Actually, I cannot find this post. Is it perhaps, a modification.

To find it, click on the little red arrow-in-a-box thingy at the top of the quoted text. For example:

EDIT -- Never mind, I think I see what you're saying now. I think the member named PattayaParent added his replies to my comments in-line in bold text to respond to each paragraph individually, instead of breaking up my quote into multiple quoted sections.

I did try to break up your quote but couldn't do it so bolded my responses.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm British English so naturally speak English the way what it was meant to be spoke :D

And I am American, therefore I suppose I speak English the way it was not meant to be spoken. :)

As an American I'm guessing you've not heard of that famous English playwrite, Ernest Wise?

If you are referring to Ernie Wise, then "famous English playwrite (sic)" is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? I don't even watch television in the US. Why would I have ever heard of this man, "who became an institution on British television?"

Why do some farangs not know that one should use a capital letter in the first word of a sentence???

Let me guess here. You are a former taxi driver TEFL'er, no? I hear they have the highest reported incidence of multiple redundant eroteme usage.

The age old how to say Pataayaa debate. Sorted!

Ahhh...you Englishmen. You do have a way with words!!!

(Please excuse the multiple redundant exclamation mark usage)

why do almost all farangs insist on saying pa-THAI-ya when all they have to do is listen to any Thai or read the spelling in Thai. it's พัทยา phat tha yaa.

the same reason the Thais insist on saying loom-for-len, no-plom-plem, eskusme, soleee..... :) It's called an accent - you notice it in most countries in the world when they try to speak a foreign language - if this is the worse of your worries, you're a lucky man.

it is actually, i don't get out of the house much (notice the lack of capitalization too).

i'm going to campaign to the government: there should be a crackdown on bad pronunciation of Thai words. Thailand could become the hub for foreigners speaking correctly.

[*] This problem is not unique to English speakers trying to pronounce Thai words.

True. it's common to English speakers in Pattaya trying to pronounce English words as well. Must be something about the water.

Hence you hear mostly English dialects yammered around town--Geordie, Brummie, Cockney, etc. Pity the Thai vendors trying to understand them.

So it's hardly surprising they can't pronounce "Pattaya" correctly.

If you are referring to Ernie Wise, then "famous English playwrite (sic)" is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? I don't even watch television in the US. Why would I have ever heard of this man, "who became an institution on British television?"

You need to see the show to understand.

If anyone regards wiki as the definitive word on Ernest Wise, all hope is lost.

You are right, one needs to have seen the show to appreciate the point being made.

why do almost all farangs insist on saying pa-THAI-ya when all they have to do is listen to any Thai or read the spelling in Thai. it's พัทยา phat tha yaa.

While operating a boat business in Pattaya in the early 70's, the local Thai boat people explained to me the name was originally Tha Pay ya, named after a Thai monarch who rested there on the way to fighting the Khmers. Those were the days, when the road was just sand and had just two nightspots, The Fantasy and The Sandbox. Sighhh......

While operating a boat business in Pattaya in the early 70's, the local Thai boat people explained to me the name was originally Tha Pay ya, named after a Thai monarch who rested there on the way to fighting the Khmers. Those were the days, when the road was just sand and had just two nightspots, The Fantasy and The Sandbox. Sighhh......

Yes, if those two disco's hadn't been there, they would surely have whooped the Khmer's asses a lot quicker eh?

^ We are not all living in your hometown though are we?

If you are living somewhere, you should be able to pronounce it's name correctly at LEAST.

This may come as a surprise, but some of us may choose not to say it the Thai way. I know full well the correct pronunciation in Thai, but not being a Thai speaker I prefer to use a softer English pronunciation. I often use the Thai pronunciation when speaking to a Thai person, and always the English version when speaking to a foreigner.

IMO it sounds really weird to pronuounce it the Thai way in an English sentence because it is a really harsh sounding word.

You need to see the show to understand.

I'll take your word for it. :)

If anyone regards wiki as the definitive word on Ernest Wise, all hope is lost.

Somehow, I don't feel that the richness of my life experience has been diminished! No offense intended. I'm not criticizing him (I have no basis to, obviously). I just have no desire to spend my life watching television.

Perhaps one of Ernie's dedicated fans can correct the tragic error of omission on Wikipedia.

^ We are not all living in your hometown though are we?

If you are living somewhere, you should be able to pronounce it's name correctly at LEAST.

This may come as a surprise, but some of us may choose not to say it the Thai way. I know full well the correct pronunciation in Thai, but not being a Thai speaker I prefer to use a softer English pronunciation. I often use the Thai pronunciation when speaking to a Thai person, and always the English version when speaking to a foreigner.

IMO it sounds really weird to pronuounce it the Thai way in an English sentence because it is a really harsh sounding word.

I agree Tropo, but then I'm from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch :)

Nobody has mentioned the Russian pronunciation of Pattaya. If I heard a Russian pronounce Pattaya the Thai way, it would really sound weird, almost wrong. Remember this really is an international city now.

Talking about Russian, how many people can say Medvedev the Russian way? Not too many I'd say.

The English press had to address this pronunciation issue. Read about it HERE

"The above are just some examples of the issues we regularly have to consider when forming recommendations.

In the case of Medvedev, we have had to compromise: we cannot expect non-Russians to pronounce this name in a perfectly Russian way because this would require broadcasters to have detailed knowledge of Russian pronunciation, which is not feasible.

Having carried out detailed research and consulted with Russian speakers, including a Russian phonetician, we concluded that correct stress placement and reflection of the soft (palatalised) 'v' in the stressed syllable were the most important aspects to highlight in our anglicised pronunciation.

The surname Medvedev stems from the Russian word for 'bear' medved' (with stress on the second syllable), so that it is important to retain this stress in the surname, hence our recommendation muhd-VYED-uhff".

The same problem holds true for most Thai words and pronunciations.