How Is Phnom Penh And Vicinity Now?

heybruce

A quick question about the annual Cambodian visa if anyone knows (the 200 dollar travel agent kind). Can you go in and out with that and keep the visa or if not, is there a way to buy reentry permits as for Thai non-O visas?

If you're talking about the business visa, I remember reading earlier today a post saying you have to sign up for 6-month or 12-month visa to get multi-entry status.

Yes I'm talking what I think is the one year business visa, which doesn't require you to actually to be doing any actual kind of business. So the multi-entry part is automatic then for that kind of visa?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick question about the annual Cambodian visa if anyone knows (the 200 dollar travel agent kind). Can you go in and out with that and keep the visa or if not, is there a way to buy reentry permits as for Thai non-O visas?

If you're talking about the business visa, I remember reading earlier today a post saying you have to sign up for 6-month or 12-month visa to get multi-entry status.

Yes I'm talking what I think is the one year business visa, which doesn't require you to actually to be doing any actual kind of business. So the multi-entry part is automatic then for that kind of visa?

This 2007 thread, post No. 2, says so.

Both 6 and 12 month visas (business or tourist) are multi entry with no limit on entries.

Both 6 and 12 month visas (business or tourist) are multi entry with no limit on entries.

ozzydom, that is wrong information you have put here.

Tourist visa are only good for 30 days you can get one extension only, Tourist visa are NOT multi entry.

Business Visa you can extend for 6 or 12 months and you will automatic get multi entry. Cost of 1 year Business Visa is $270 to $300 depending on which agent you use.

• 2 weeks later...

All in all , the non biased opinions given point to the actuality that Cambodia in the main is vastly improved , there are downsides to just about anywhere that people go to visit or live , that is to be expected as , be honest , we all have our own criteria and comfort levels .

The river-side has been completed for quite some time now and it is an absolute pleasure to walk and enjoy the cool evening breezes , NO motos allowed , a plethoria of waste bins with accompanying staff to ensure it stays that way , a multitude of seats to park your bum and enjoy the pleasure boats plying thier way up and down for a mere $1.00 a tour . The moto-men and tuk-tuks have cooled thier heels in general and are not so"' In your face ' , many vendors have been moved on to keep the sidewalk clear on the restaurant side as have many throughout the city .

Phnom Penh is on the move upwards for the comfort and pleasure of both tourists and xpats alike , the numbers of same are in a steady rise thanks to the attitude that has become Thailand , it is veritably a no hastle city , I for one can vouch for that , problems you can find any place if you are 'Tat 'enough to search for it , but I would like to point out that I have yet to see the anger simmering beneeth the surface as I saw so often in Thailand , especaly from the woman after a few beers .

All in all , the non biased opinions given point to the actuality that Cambodia in the main is vastly improved , there are downsides to just about anywhere that people go to visit or live , that is to be expected as , be honest , we all have our own criteria and comfort levels .

The river-side has been completed for quite some time now and it is an absolute pleasure to walk and enjoy the cool evening breezes , NO motos allowed , a plethoria of waste bins with accompanying staff to ensure it stays that way , a multitude of seats to park your bum and enjoy the pleasure boats plying thier way up and down for a mere $1.00 a tour . The moto-men and tuk-tuks have cooled thier heels in general and are not so"' In your face ' , many vendors have been moved on to keep the sidewalk clear on the restaurant side as have many throughout the city .

Phnom Penh is on the move upwards for the comfort and pleasure of both tourists and xpats alike , the numbers of same are in a steady rise thanks to the attitude that has become Thailand , it is veritably a no hastle city , I for one can vouch for that , problems you can find any place if you are 'Tat 'enough to search for it , but I would like to point out that I have yet to see the anger simmering beneeth the surface as I saw so often in Thailand , especaly from the woman after a few beers .

That's good to hear. I was in PP a couple of years back, stayed at a hotel neat the Royal Palace and National Museum, and the sidewalks in much of that area were virtually unusable. Even so I liked the place, as you say it's like Thailand without the angst. It's good that they have finished the riverside upgrade, it was all shut off behind hoardings. I can see I'll have to make a return visit sometime soon.

A good, balanced post dumball, and I agree with everything you have written. I have been living in Phnom Penh on and off now since 2006 (though first visited in 1993) and really like it, most of the time. Readers should ignore the Thai-centric negativity from the 3 day visa-runners (another aspect of 'Thailand living' that expats in Cambodia do not have to be concerned about!).

Things I like in no particular order (caveat: your mileage may vary!): easy visas and no attempt to make you feel like a crook on bail, good availability of Western food comforts and decent selection of international cuisine; pavement cafes and bars; good coffee and bread; cheap cigs and Western booze/wine; very cheap medications; congenial, easy-going people who are not looking for problems and don't try to make life difficult for you; easy to get around in English (though any attempt to learn Khmer is much appreciated); far fewer attempted rip-offs compared to Thailand, China and Vietnam; few currency controls and a burgeoning high-street banking system which offers good service and is 'foreigner friendly'; ability to work or even own a business with minimal red-tape, an expat community which is generally more welcoming and less cliquey than Thailand (also a better class of visitor/tourist which can make for interesting conversations).

Of course, everywhere has its negative aspects, and things I particularly dislike are: expensive electricity; unreliable and underdeveloped health services - reasonably-quality care is generally overpriced and sub-standard compared to Thailand; fairly expensive internet connections (though this is rapidly changing due to increased competition); the abysmal education system; inability of many motodop, tuk-tuk and taxi drivers to find their way around the city.

I would rather dine on powdered glass than live/work in Thailand again.

Edited by Rumpole

The 6 month mult entry visa is about $175 and u can enter and return as often as u like

the 1 year is about $260-$275 and as above in and out up to you

I lived in Phnom Penh from 1994 till 2000 and have to say it was 10X more interesting and fun in those days. I can't stand the place now.

When were you last back and for how long?

2000 was 11 years ago...............

I have been back probably 10 times since 2004, most recently a year ago.