Powerful Earthquake Rocks Western Indonesia

churchill

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did they get the warning teletype? Did they replace the batteries in the early warning system? :)

Yes, as of several months ago, the Thai gov't couldn't muster up the funds (or ambition) to replace the batteries in the free early warning buoys that were given to them by the US!

no one thought of gel cell pack and a solar panel? ( but then it mite get ripped off)

Our hotel staff laughed at us when we asked them for advice and said that the Tsunami was in Samoa and not here.

What appals me about this and other comments by people who may be in the path of a tsunami if it occurred is the absence of knowledge about the measures put in place following Boxing Day 2004 to give them advanced warning. The very fact that an earthquake in Indonesia automatically triggered a first stage alert that was automatically transmitted across the Indian Ocean countries who were potentially going to be affected by it, then after consideration of the actual scale and allowing for any aftershocks, was withdrawn as "no threat" proves the system actually works.

Instead of passing asinine, points scoring comments, just reflect how many lives would have been saved in 2004 had this system been in place and how many deaths prevented if today's earthquake had actually generated a Tsunami that reached Thailand!! :)

There's a need some basic geography lessons.

How does an earthquake 50km off Padang Sumatra propagate a wave that could come anywhere near the coast of Thailand?

:)

Just ask the people caught in the last one, Banda Aceh is in North Sumatra, that was the epi center of the last Tsunami, the wave went all the way up to Phuket and over to Sri Lanka, then onward to Kenya i East Africa :D :D :D

"Cry Havoc, then let slip the Dog's of War" 2/75th Rangers

:D Stocky et all: you made your point, us mere mortals tend to jump to conclusion, but ya gotta admit, you baited us with that short curt statement, then began to dazzle us with your B .... I mean knowledge, hey, didn't have anything better to do here in Baghdad anyway, just had a Rocket impact an hour ago just across the wall of this US Embassy Fortress of Solitude.........Drive on

What a tit, as much of a waste of time as my post.

Samoa is all the way in the Pacific and far removed by land mass from Thailand

Interesting to watch the coming weeks to see the next earthquake (seems to be a correlation) on the other side of the plate from there (just like Japan and California seem exchange earthquake volleys).

http://www.maplandia.com/samoa/

Edited by HYENA

Greetins, Tis is an eyewitness report of the tsunami taht hit samoa today , sent to me from a friend of the captain. WOW

We're all okay... and very lucky.

And we've adopted a tiny kitten.

And that's the way it is.

All the Best - All the Time,

Wow Buzz, thanks for sharing that story. My prayers go out to all of these people. I hope I never have to experience such devastation first hand. Your friends were really smart in knowing how to deal with that situation as it unfolded.

There's a need some basic geography lessons.

How does an earthquake 50km off Padang Sumatra propagate a wave that could come anywhere near the coast of Thailand?

:)

How about a history and a science lesson for you? The very same thing happened in 2004 and a tsunami DID hit Thailand. The wave even hit as far away as Somalia. So, :D

BBC World News resident expert - said yesterdays tsunami 'could' have been travelling at up to 800kmh.

...but i no good at the maths to find out arrival times Thailand.

Speed Distance Time

Known Speed 100kmph

Known Distance 100kn

Distance / speed = 1 hour

Known distance 100km

Known time 1 hour

distance x time = speed 100kmph

Known Speed 100kmph

Known Time 1hour

Speed X time = Distance 100km

you mixed up x (multiplication ×) and / (division ÷) once

speed = v, distance = x, time = t

dea5c5dc3a9ddbeac8ec9e8.png

speed= distance ÷ time

v = x ÷ t

speed × time = distance

v × t = x

time= distance ÷ speed

t = x ÷ v

the unit kmph for speed is not km×h, but km÷h or km/h

Does anyone have any advice?

I am currently a tourist on holiday in Karon Beach.

Our hotel staff laughed at us when we asked them for advice and said that the Tsunami was in Samoa and not here.

I would keep glued to the news mate. BBC have just this minute said that the warning was cancelled, so should be OK i guess. When do Thais ever watch the world news, so how would they know anyway?

Cheers, Rick

Oh they knew. I was walking around Patong during the warning. I was initially informed by the Thai owner of one of the hotels, and then a bit later inside two other business they were huddled around the TV's listening for details.

Did Thailand ever get around to replacing the "THB 10 million" battery on their Tsumami sensor ??

No they did not replace the battery.

The life cycle of a deployed tsunami buoy is approximately 2 to 4 years. The Bureau's maintenance team will involve the replacement of the surface buoy and the sea-floor pressure sensor every one to two years. The devices retrieved during regular maintenance are refurbished and made ready for the next redeployment.

They replaced the bouy and sea floor sensor.

Forgot to say the batteries have a max two year lifespan after that an emergency battery kicks in for a short period.

Edited by cyb

9pm arrival time for thailand (if at all)

BBC World News resident expert - said yesterdays tsunami 'could' have been travelling at up to 800kmh.

...but i no good at the maths to find out arrival times Thailand.

Speed Distance Time

Known Speed 100kmph

Known Distance 100kn

Known distance 100km

Known time 1 hour

Known Speed 100kmph

Known Time 1hour

Well you certainly got that right.

I mean in your signature line that is :)

Speed Distance Time

Known Speed 100kmph

Known Distance 100kn

Known distance 100km

Known time 1 hour

Known Speed 100kmph

Known Time 1hour

In the first calculation, 1 thing your distance is in kn kilo nautical miles but your speed (rate) has the units km h^-1. km and kn are not the same unit! But then you change units to km, which is it? 

Nice use of all caps!!! It really expresses the urgency of the situation. It is great to see people interested and concerned.

Would be good if you show in quotes who you were replying to?

Edited by cyb

Another earthquake but no tsunami alert -

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001

PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS

ISSUED AT 0200Z 01 OCT 2009

THIS BULLETIN IS FOR ALL AREAS OF THE INDIAN OCEAN.

... TSUNAMI INFORMATION BULLETIN ...

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY.

THIS BULLETIN IS ISSUED AS ADVICE TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. ONLY

NATIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE

DECISIONS REGARDING THE OFFICIAL STATE OF ALERT IN THEIR AREA AND

ANY ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN RESPONSE.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 0153Z 01 OCT 2009

COORDINATES - 2.6 SOUTH 101.8 EAST

LOCATION - SOUTHERN SUMATRA INDONESIA

MAGNITUDE - 6.8

EVALUATION

A DESTRUCTIVE TSUNAMI WAS NOT GENERATED BASED ON EARTHQUAKE AND

HISTORICAL TSUNAMI DATA. THIS EARTHQUAKE IS LOCATED TOO FAR

INLAND TO GENERATE A TSUNAMI IN THE INDIAN OCEAN.

THIS WILL BE THE ONLY BULLETIN ISSUED BY THE PACIFIC TSUNAMI

WARNING CENTER FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

BECOMES AVAILABLE.

THE JAPAN METEOROLOGICAL AGENCY MAY ISSUE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

FOR THIS EVENT. IN THE CASE OF CONFLICTING INFORMATION...THE

MORE CONSERVATIVE INFORMATION SHOULD BE USED FOR SAFETY.

Nice use of all caps!!! It really expresses the urgency of the situation. It is great to see people interested and concerned.

Would be good if you show in quotes who you were replying to?

/\

|

What good is that?

Would it not be better if you asked questions on how to post including a quote?, rather than posting nonsensical posts?

2 metre waves across China sea due to Typhoon Ketsana but earthquake warning of waves only barely reaching a foot--------which one are we going to prepare for???????

Your looking for the next one that is a result of enough mass displacement to create a tsunami. Most quakes don't do that. Some do, and as I understand it not necessarily the biggest ones either. So heed the warnings, you only have to go 2 days back to see how deadly serious these warnings should be taken.

Been living here in the Khao Lak area now for more than 7 years, and yesterday we saw the whole false panic happen again ! Luckily there was no official warning in the area, but it was on the 7 o'clock news ( that a tsunami would be coming, and Bang Muang, Bangsak, and Khao Lak/Bang Niang area should be evacuated ). Me and some Thai friends didn't panic and stuck to the plan we had to drive to the corner of Thap Lumu, and eat seafood ( better go down with a full stomach... ) and saw loads of police directing full pickups of people coming from Thap Lamu area, still a motorcycle accident happened.. One hour later everyone returned, laughing and happy ( no tsunami ) and back to normal again. The family of my friends in Thap Lamu, stayed home anyway, sceptical about it like most people. Let's hope it doesn't really! happen anymore, since we don't believe in it anymore.. numb after 'the real thing' and so many false warnings.

Anyway, my hart and best wishes are going out to all the people in Sumatra ( and Samoa, earlyer ) who took the sh..t for us again.

Does anyone have any advice?

I am currently a tourist on holiday in Karon Beach.

Take some single malts and head for the hills just in case. The experts just don't have the practical experience. Just remember the last Tsunami. Good luck brother.

I agree with your post 100% and go to the hill first before anything happens..

My son and I are collecting money to the Phillipines nonprofit and we donate our own to the Red Cross. We urge everyone does his or her part..( any amount will make a difference ) Thanks for posting...my take and opinion.

Been living here in the Khao Lak area now for more than 7 years, and yesterday we saw the whole false panic happen again ! Luckily there was no official warning in the area, but it was on the 7 o'clock news ( that a tsunami would be coming, and Bang Muang, Bangsak, and Khao Lak/Bang Niang area should be evacuated ). Me and some Thai friends didn't panic and stuck to the plan we had to drive to the corner of Thap Lumu, and eat seafood ( better go down with a full stomach... ) and saw loads of police directing full pickups of people coming from Thap Lamu area, still a motorcycle accident happened.. One hour later everyone returned, laughing and happy ( no tsunami ) and back to normal again. The family of my friends in Thap Lamu, stayed home anyway, sceptical about it like most people. Let's hope it doesn't really! happen anymore, since we don't believe in it anymore.. numb after 'the real thing' and so many false warnings.

Anyway, my hart and best wishes are going out to all the people in Sumatra ( and Samoa, earlyer ) who took the sh..t for us again.

Take good care of yourself and friends...my heart and soul go with everyone in this situation...I urge everyone helps by donating whatever you can to the victums...my opinon.

How did they get the warning teletype? Did they replace the batteries in the early warning system? :)

Yes, as of several months ago, the Thai gov't couldn't muster up the funds (or ambition) to replace the batteries in the free early warning buoys that were given to them by the US!

no one thought of gel cell pack and a solar panel? ( but then it mite get ripped off)

That would be no good as the bouys and seabed sensor have to be replaced at a max of two years anyway.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/messages/indi...9.30.102622.txt

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001

PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS

ISSUED AT 1026Z 30 SEP 2009

THIS BULLETIN IS FOR ALL AREAS OF THE INDIAN OCEAN.

... A REGIONAL TSUNAMI WATCH IS IN EFFECT ...

A TSUNAMI WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR

INDONESIA / INDIA / THAILAND / MALAYSIA

FOR OTHER AREAS OF THE INDIAN OCEAN REGION...THIS MESSAGE IS FOR

INFORMATION ONLY AT THIS TIME.

THIS BULLETIN IS ISSUED AS ADVICE TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. ONLY

NATIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE

DECISIONS REGARDING THE OFFICIAL STATE OF ALERT IN THEIR AREA AND

ANY ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN RESPONSE.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 1016Z 30 SEP 2009

COORDINATES - 0.9 SOUTH 99.9 EAST

LOCATION - SOUTHERN SUMATRA INDONESIA

MAGNITUDE - 7.7

EVALUATION

EARTHQUAKES OF THIS SIZE HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO GENERATE A

DESTRUCTIVE LOCAL TSUNAMI AND SOMETIMES A DESTRUCTIVE REGIONAL

TSUNAMI ALONG COASTS LOCATED USUALLY NO MORE THAN A THOUSAND

KILOMETERS FROM THE EARTHQUAKE EPICENTER. AREAS FURTHER FROM THE

EPICENTER COULD EXPERIENCE SMALL SEA LEVEL CHANGES AND STRONG OR

UNUSUAL COASTAL CURRENTS.

HOWEVER - IT IS NOT KNOWN THAT A TSUNAMI WAS GENERATED. THIS

WATCH IS BASED ONLY ON THE EARTHQUAKE EVALUATION. AUTHORITIES IN

THE REGION SHOULD TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION IN RESPONSE TO THIS

POSSIBILITY. THE WATCH WILL NOT EXPAND TO OTHER AREAS OF THE

INDIAN OCEAN UNLESS ADDITIONAL DATA ARE RECEIVED TO WARRANT SUCH

AN EXPANSION.

ESTIMATED INITIAL TSUNAMI WAVE ARRIVAL TIMES AT FORECAST POINTS

WITHIN THE WARNING AND WATCH AREAS ARE GIVEN BELOW. ACTUAL

ARRIVAL TIMES MAY DIFFER AND THE INITIAL WAVE MAY NOT BE THE

LARGEST. A TSUNAMI IS A SERIES OF WAVES AND THE TIME BETWEEN

SUCCESSIVE WAVES CAN BE FIVE MINUTES TO ONE HOUR.

LOCATION FORECAST POINT COORDINATES ARRIVAL TIME

-------------------------------- ------------ ------------

INDONESIA

PADANG 0.9S 100.1E 1022Z 30 SEP

SIBERUT 1.5S 98.7E 1103Z 30 SEP

BENGKULU 3.9S 102.0E 1125Z 30 SEP

SIMEULUE 2.5N 96.0E 1136Z 30 SEP

BANDA ACEH 5.5N 95.1E 1227Z 30 SEP

BANDAR LAMPUNG 5.7S 105.3E 1251Z 30 SEP

BELAWAN 3.8N 98.8E 1531Z 30 SEP

INDIA

GREAT NICOBAR 7.1N 93.6E 1236Z 30 SEP

THAILAND

PHUKET 8.0N 98.2E 1400Z 30 SEP

KO PHRA THONG 9.1N 98.2E 1444Z 30 SEP

KO TARUTAO 6.6N 99.6E 1512Z 30 SEP

MALAYSIA

GEORGETOWN 5.4N 100.1E 1546Z 30 SEP

PORT DICKSON 2.5N 101.7E 1918Z 30 SEP

ADDITIONAL BULLETINS WILL BE ISSUED BY THE PACIFIC TSUNAMI

WARNING CENTER FOR THIS EVENT AS MORE INFORMATION

BECOMES AVAILABLE.

THE JAPAN METEOROLOGICAL AGENCY MAY ISSUE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

FOR THIS EVENT. IN THE CASE OF CONFLICTING INFORMATION...THE

MORE CONSERVATIVE INFORMATION SHOULD BE USED FOR SAFETY.

sending a silly warning out about a day after it happened is worse then useless.

I live in Phuket and any quake with Tsunamis will have got here in a few hours max. The first thing I did was to look at times etc and it was clear there COULDN'T be a Tsunami!

Samoa quake would have to cross Indonesia and Thailand... Likely also the Philippines!

The one in Sumatra could have been here in 2 hours...