Rain

gotlost

I looks like my coming home to the rain on Vancouver Island isn't much different to what I left... except without the heat. It's sure nice to take a deep breath of cold, clear air. See you folks next November when we can talk about the flooding instead.

How much rain did CM get last night? We had two rounds of serious gully-washer type rain here in Mae Taeng. First round lasted two hours and we had lots of thunder and lightning. Very nice morning now.

How much rain did CM get last night? We had two rounds of serious gully-washer type rain here in Mae Taeng. First round lasted two hours and we had lots of thunder and lightning. Very nice morning now.

5.2 mm at the airport, spread out over nine hours or so. Should help quite a bit with the pollution.

/ Priceless

Thunder in the distance and it is getting dark. Looks like a storm is a'brewing....

http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/lmp.php

I was going to say it was a damp squib but not even damp!

We've had about a half hour of very light rain here in Mae Taeng. Lots of thunder and lightning in the distance and things have cooled off nicely. We cut the grass two days ago which almost always guarantees rain! Stuff grows back very fast here.

7 hours of rain up here in Wawee

7 hours sounds like a rainy season event, not just a passing storm. My gosh the air is pleasant this morning here, and the birds are noisy about it too.

We only had a shower yesterday-evening, here in Mae-Jo, but it sure was black-&-threatening, over the city late-afternoon, and the humidity is way-up. Our birds too appreciate the change ... they were tweeting about it, at 6 am ! rolleyes.gif

Thunder in the distance and it is getting dark. Looks like a storm is a'brewing....

http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/lmp.php

another way to track storm-cells is by lightning. In Australia use the storm-tracker on http://www.weatherzone.com.au, which gets its data from GPATS http://www.gpats.com...i/LIAS_free.php

the only one i've found to date that covers this region is the WWLLN http://wwlln.net/, though the resolution doesn't seem too great.

if anyone has a better lightning tracker for Asia, that would be cool to know.

edit:

if you download the .kml file from the WWLLN to overlay on google earth, the resolution is pretty fair.

Edited by dickyknee

Can anybody give me an idea as to what the weather is like around the old city? I'm out in San Sai Noi watching lightening to the West (I think) but was planning to go to the Blues Brothers show at Chiang Mai Fest this evening. Anyone have an idea as to whether Chiang Mai Fest is up and running or if they've shut down due to the lightening (I would guess not in Thailand but I know such things would in the US)?

Can anybody give me an idea as to what the weather is like around the old city? I'm out in San Sai Noi watching lightening to the West (I think) but was planning to go to the Blues Brothers show at Chiang Mai Fest this evening. Anyone have an idea as to whether Chiang Mai Fest is up and running or if they've shut down due to the lightening (I would guess not in Thailand but I know such things would in the US)?

Nevermind... It's raining in San Sai Noi now. I'll try again tomorrow.

Got a minute or 2 of heavy drops (finally!) in my seriously most rain-free neighborhood in all of Chiang Mai near CMU.

Streets are wet, my balcony railings are streaked black from fire soot...but it is over.

Still see lightning flashes off to the north, but for the time being it looks as though it was a splash and dash production.

Storm seems to be moving from SW to NE; I now see flashes in the mountains towards San Sai and Doi Saket.

Got a minute or 2 of heavy drops (finally!) in my seriously most rain-free neighborhood in all of Chiang Mai near CMU.

Streets are wet, my balcony railings are streaked black from fire soot...but it is over.

Still see lightning flashes off to the north, but for the time being it looks as though it was a splash and dash production.

Storm seems to be moving from SW to NE; I now see flashes in the mountains towards San Sai and Doi Saket.

Hey Griff.... We just got home to Mae Taeng from CM and it rained HARD all the way from 5 km before Mae Rim to the 1095 Pai junction. Traffic was moving slow and lots of lightning. Here now the rain has ceased but the AC power is running only 45 volts. Enough to keep the computer running but had to unplug the appliances to avoid damage. Outside, the moon is shining bright through a slot in the clouds with significant lightning to the east. What a bizarre weather night!
  • Like 1

it is downright pouring here... pimuk 2, near rimping market/macdonalds drive thru... has been raining for a couple of hours, now it is pouring... of course, thunder, lightning and the wife running around unplugging things... however she dare not touch my computer!!!

As usual, my west end neighborhood near CMU...now dry as a bone after the brief splash of a minute or so hours ago.

But I don't feel cursed...all the rain around other areas will no doubt knock down a lot of the smog and burning, etc.

For that I am very thankful. wai.gif

Happened to pass by there tonight after dinner by pure chance (didn't hear anything about it before) and decided to stop and check it out. I have to say that it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had since I moved here 5 years ago! Indeed it was pouring rain but that didn't stop the show. It went on until about 22:00 at which point they stopped it. They set the large Thai umbrellas over all of the musicians and they kept on playing.They also set up tents for the audience.The music was O.K. but the party atmosphere was excellent. Lots of cold beer, some Western food (that didn't look too good), and a great group of people! Many farangs and other Asians and even a handful of Thais out there dancing in the pouring rain. Must have been 50 or more people out there dancing. It seemed like everyone was having a great time.drunk.gif I was surprised at how many people were out there with expensive cameras in the rain though.

Great time. Hope they have more events like this! Although I couldn't help but think how dangerous the whole thing was...I'm sure nothing was grounded...

Happened to pass by there tonight after dinner by pure chance (didn't hear anything about it before) and decided to stop and check it out. I have to say that it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had since I moved here 5 years ago! Indeed it was pouring rain but that didn't stop the show. It went on until about 22:00 at which point they stopped it. They set the large Thai umbrellas over all of the musicians and they kept on playing.They also set up tents for the audience.The music was O.K. but the party atmosphere was excellent. Lots of cold beer, some Western food (that didn't look too good), and a great group of people! Many farangs and other Asians and even a handful of Thais out there dancing in the pouring rain. Must have been 50 or more people out there dancing. It seemed like everyone was having a great time.drunk.gif I was surprised at how many people were out there with expensive cameras in the rain though.

Great time. Hope they have more events like this! Although I couldn't help but think how dangerous the whole thing was...I'm sure nothing was grounded...

Yikes that does sound dangerous and glad to hear it was enjoyable. We had significant winds here and no umbrella would have survived. At least three hours of heavy rain and we had to have our late evening crumble apple pie snack by flashlight.