Rain

gotlost

Yet another nice thunder shower keeping things pleasant in Pai this afternoon.

Boy that Accuweather link someone posted is quite accurate isn't it?

It was correct a few days back pretty spot on & today predicts a

small thunderstorm at 4pm in Chiangmai

If you have it in Pai now they could again be right...will see

They also predict a few for tomorrow

Hot right now & just got home from a swim

Edited by mania

Year before last there were intermittent showers that, as I recall, began in January, perhaps late December. That was certainly unusual. Nice to see some soaking showers this year in the last 24 hours in Chiang Mai. It certainly has cooled things down a lot! It has been, I believe, somewhat hotter than "normal" in recent days. Never mind the air pollution. There is another thread for that, and one wouldn't want to mess with gotlost's legacy!

Anyone have any ideas if this is naturally occurring rain, or is a product of the Royal thai Rainmaking project? I recall reading that they were going to try to create rain to combat the season fire/ smoke pollution.

-Mestizo

Speaking of Nan I just came back from there. Nice and cool in the cloudy weather. The sad part is the hill tribe people cut down all the forests and planted corn on the steep hillsides. They get one small cob of corn for each stalk planted. Corn has traditionally been a LOWLAND plant because it needs a LOT of water to grow properly. When you moonscape the hillsides of all the native trees and plants the result is every heavy rain washes away the soil, and the country dries out in the hot sun. You are then left with a flood - drought syndrome. I hate being negative towards locals, but the evidence is there for all to see. It's like the other problem with Thais and their environment... everything that slithers, slides, hops, jumps, walks, runs, flies or swims gets eaten. Even if it lies there inert it get eaten if it is remotely edible.

Just to point out last year the head men started handing out 25 rai plots of forest to us locals, on the way to it being chanoted.

We were told to cut down the forest and plant a crop of some kind if we were to get full title to said plots.

Use it or lose it. Corn would be cheap to plant, and demonstrate you were using it.

I'm guessing the plots you saw were part of this scheme ...... so blame the government not the people.

I don't want to cut down my bit of forest, but I will if I have to.

This is absolutely true, use it or lose it. We have land that needs to be cropped as well, despite the fact it is a steep side hill that would be much nicer as a bit of jungle and a place for trees to mature. But if we don't hack it down, it will go to someone else. It is a government policy that is responsible for quite a lot of the hack and slash. You can have the land for free, but you must not leave it natural.

• 3 weeks later...

Um, no. :-)

When I get back to a computer let me put pollution data and weather data side by side and then see if we'd rather have air that just went over China and Burma.

Also the pollution data consistently shows the worst conditions in Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai in the north, and better values once you hit central Thailand. Lampang is also bad, with stuff ending up there via Phayao (new station, also bad) without hitting a high mountain range.

Do you ever look at information beyond what you see out the window? I knew you were talking about local fires when you said in the other topic that you could see smoke floating south; if you can see it moving then it is indeed local / ground level smoke. Particulate matter pollution / smog / haze is just just everywhere like a wet blanket, until major winds / rain clear it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• 2 weeks later...

Warning
"Summer Thunderstorm in upper Thailand"

No. 6 Time Issued : April 11, 2013

The moderate high pressure from China still covers the upper Northeast of Thailand and

the South China Sea. Thunderstorms will be likely, as well as,
isolated thundershowers, gust and hail in the North, the Northeast, the
Central and the East, dropping to 4-6 °C. People should beware of the
severe conditions during 11-14 April.

The easterly wave over the South China Sea becomes the low
pressure cell and will pass the Gulf and the South of Thailand during
12-14 April inducing torrential rainfall over the areas. Isolated heavy
to very heavy rain will be likely in the Lower South with the wind-waves
above 2 meters high in thundershower areas. All ships should proceed
with caution.

During 12-16 April, the upper country will have rain to
help relief the hot weather for the first period (12-14 April). High
temperature is forecast up to 33-37 oC in the afternoon. Meanwhile,
isolated heavy to very heavy rain will be likely from Nakhon Si
Thammarat to south, especially, during 12-15 April.

The advisory will be effect on 11 April 2013

Issued at 4.00 p.m.

I'm never sure which web site you should go to for a reliable forecast,and I just did,they vary considerably in their predictions ?

I find this one pretty accurate

http://www.accuweather.com/en/th/chiang-mai/317505/daily-weather-forecast/317505

well, aside from saying: You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows....

i use this site: http://forecast.io/#/f/18.7904,98.9847

don't know about accuracy, but sure do like the GUI

• Like 1

I'm never sure which web site you should go to for a reliable forecast,and I just did,they vary considerably in their predictions ?

I find this one pretty accurate

http://www.accuweather.com/en/th/chiang-mai/317505/daily-weather-forecast/317505

well, aside from saying: You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows....

i use this site: http://forecast.io/#/f/18.7904,98.9847

don't know about accuracy, but sure do like the GUI

That forecast is saying 109 degrees on Sunday. Wow!