Rain

gotlost

We live off of Hwy121 about 2km East of Hwy 118 in a Q-House development and this is the aftermath of what we had from Saturday nights rain storm.

The rest of the pictures are here if you are interested: http://johnosteen.sm...22334346_xCWVW4

Luckily no one was injured in the process, major damage to the electrical infrastructure providing feeds to the area. We had power back 24 hours later only because of temporary feeds while the main power lines are replaced/repaired. There was a 40ft high billboard structure that collapsed and almost crushed one of the security guys personal truck.

post-97417-0-67723400-1334063239_thumb.j

post-97417-0-28227600-1334063265_thumb.j

post-97417-0-95607000-1334063329_thumb.j

Is this in Chiang Mai? Wow thanks for the photo

We live off of Hwy121 about 2km East of Hwy 118 in a Q-House development and this is the aftermath of what we had from Saturday nights rain storm.

The rest of the pictures are here if you are interested: http://johnosteen.sm...22334346_xCWVW4

Luckily no one was injured in the process, major damage to the electrical infrastructure providing feeds to the area. We had power back 24 hours later only because of temporary feeds while the main power lines are replaced/repaired. There was a 40ft high billboard structure that collapsed and almost crushed one of the security guys personal truck.

Isn't Q-House the place where houses start at 10 million?

I'm always fearful of getting killed by something very heavy falling down or being electrocuted in Thailand.

3 times now in my house, the teak wood decorative cornice boxes above the curtains have come crashing down; one from the 2nd story bay window that would have killed anyone who would have been standing under it at the time.

Is this in Chiang Mai? Wow thanks for the photo

Isn't Q-House the place where houses start at 10 million?

I'm always fearful of getting killed by something very heavy falling down or being electrocuted in Thailand.

3 times now in my house, the teak wood decorative cornice boxes above the curtains have come crashing down; one from the 2nd story bay window that would have killed anyone who would have been standing under it at the time.

Yes it is in Chiang Mai. If you have Google Earth, the attached kmz file will show you where we are. If you play with the new Street View in Google Maps you can see the Billboard and what things looked like prior to the storm.

The homes here are not 10M, start in low 3M and go to 5M I believe. There's another Q-House development further to the east maybe they are are 10M there?

I'm from Florida, I thought I left the violent storms there only to find myself in the path of something here in Thailand. Not sure what but there was a very directional path/flow of trees being topped out by the storm. Do we have tornado activity here or could if have been a super cell of sorts? Weather buffs chime in please.

Qhouse.kmz

• Like 1

I've lived in my apt for 5 years now, and in all the previous years I can only recall 2 times when the winds and rain were so strong, that water was blown in past the window sills.

This year, it has happened 2 times in the past couple of weeks.

Extreme high winds, torrential rain blown horizontally. Sliding glass balcony door vibrating so hard I thought the glass would burst and implode into the room.

Definitely weird weather.

There was definitely some rain at approximately 15:30 out by RimPing MeeChok. As I swung around from the 2nd highway to head into town it rained all the way around the left hand turn. I'd just had my car washed earlier in the afternoon. sad.png

Why you hope it doesn't rain? Mother in law is in town and lots of heat and no rain? two of my worst nightmare!

I can report light clouding over the city, very strong possibility of rain mak mak. I hope it doesn't rain, I've got my fan on.

jap.gif

• Like 1

14 drops counted in the last 93 minutes in the city!

Fun tok!!! jap.gif

Mr Mak Mak, you must have alot of time on your hands. We can only hope for fon dtok mak mak!!!

Keep up the good work Mr Mak Mak. I hope you meteorology career comes true!

Edited by onthedarkside
font correct back to default

Location 10 mins from airport just off the Chiang Mai Hod road.

Almost everyday mid afternoon the clouds build,the sky blackens, then the lightening, then the thunder crashes.

Then clouds which had formed to the West/North over Doi Suthep and directly over our des res move away to the East/North East-not a drop of rain. This has now happened on numerous occasions.

Prevailing winds? Invisible shield over our area or what?

Dumped like a mo-fo in my perennially parched neighborhood around 5 PM.

Huay Kaew flooded; went to the Lotus Express in my soi Thai style on the Wave riding with an umbrella clutched in my left hand.

Real safe, I know. But I was riding on the footpath there and back.rolleyes.gif

Got absolutely drenched, but enjoyed the cooler air.laugh.png

• Like 1

It rained on and off in the Thapae Gate area for an hour or two this afternoon.

Last year was really strange as it rained almost every day during hot dry season when it normally does not rain at all. This year it is not raining nearly as much as last year, but more than it usually does and although it is hot, it is more comfortable than normal for this time of year.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Sorry typo. This year it is not raining nearly as much as last year, but more than it usually does.

I'm hoping that it will continue raining and stay cooler, but hope springs eternal. The Thai government predicted that it will be a rainy hot season if that means anything.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1