Chiang Mai Retirement Visa

sk1max

I'm off to apply for my first retirement visa next week at the CM office. I have a letter from the bank with the 800K, pictures, completed application form, do I need anything else? Recent experiences and advice will be much appreciated.

I assume you know that at least 800K has to be in the bank for 3 months before the date you show up at immigration for the first time retirement extensions (2 months for subsequent ones). You also need to copy the details of your bank passbook (showing name, account number, transactions going back). Also assuming you already have an O visa of some kind. If not, you can do a change of visa status. You will be applying for an extension based on retirement, not a retirement visa.

Edited by Jingthing

I assume you know that at least 800K has to be in the bank for 3 months before the date you show up at immigration for the first time retirement extensions (2 months for subsequent ones). You also need to copy the details of your bank passbook (showing name, account number, transactions going back). Also assuming you already have an O visa of some kind. If not, you can do a change of visa status. You will be applying for an extension based on retirement, not a retirement visa.

I believe it is 2 months for the first time and 3 months in subsequent years but I will leave an expert to confirm

I'm off to apply for my first retirement visa next week at the CM office. I have a letter from the bank with the 800K, pictures, completed application form, do I need anything else? Recent experiences and advice will be much appreciated.

You need copies of the relevant pages of your passport, main page, entry stamps of entry to thailand and visas, copy of departure card,

copies of your bank book

did mine a few days ago. no problems

Medical certificate? I got and submitted the usual one (100 baht to say you're breathing) at the time of my last extension in August.

Checked just now and I don't see it mentioned on the Immigration Bureau's list of required documents - but that surprised me.....

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...p?page=service# (Internet Explorer - doesn't work with Firefox)

1. Passport and its photocopy with certified true copy by the alien
  2. Application Form ( TM 7) with one photograph (size 4x6 cm.)
  3. Application fee: 1,900 Baht
  4. Documents required are as follows;
    • The account deposit with the bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht.
      The proof of such evidence is the updated bank passbook with the certified letter from the bank showing the money in the account of not less than 800,000 Baht which has been deposited in the account for the previous 3 months. OR

• Income from pension/social welfare of not less than 65,000 Baht per month.
      The proof of such evidence is a letter from the applicant's Embassy or Consulate in Thailand to certify that the applicant receives pension or other income of not less than 65,000 Baht per month. OR
    • A combination of the account deposite in the bank plus income (from pension or other source per yearX witha combined total of not less than 800,000 Baht.

A friend of mine just did it a few days ago (Chiangmai). For whatever reason they weren't interested in his bank letter and just handed it back to him. They just wanted copies of his bank passbook. However, still a good idea to take it as that may have been a fluke.

A friend of mine just did it a few days ago (Chiangmai). For whatever reason they weren't interested in his bank letter and just handed it back to him. They just wanted copies of his bank passbook. However, still a good idea to take it as that may have been a fluke.

Thank you, I'm so happy we have Thai Visa. :)

sk1max.

re .... I have a letter from the bank with the 800K ...... you have it already ?

just be aware i had a letter from the bank a few years ago that was three days old !

when i went to get my permission to stay ..... old letter has to be today .... ok ok

i went to get the letter , went back an hour later ..... ok .... all good and got another year no problem

since then ive always ordered the letter from the bank the day before and had them update the passbook on the day and ive had no problems since

up to you ! ..... dave2

ps .... this was in chiang mai immigration !

Medical certificate?

Not required for some years now.

And what about proving your residency..ie copy of lease etc or yellow book?

Not required

See post by steve2uk no.7 above which summarises what IS required

The last time I extended in CM I brought the bank letter written a few days prior stating that I had 800k in the account, along with the bank book showing same. The immo guy did not accept it because the book had not been updated since the initial 800k had been deposited (it was a 6 month term account). Fortunately I had brought other bank books along just in case that had been recently updated which had the necessary funds, which he reluctantly accepted without the accompanying letter. So be sure to get the book updated at the same time you get the letter, even if it is a term deposit account. You can never bring too much stuff to these guys...

most has been covered, a bank letter certainly not more than a day old, 800k at least 3 months in your account, no doctors letter req, photostats of your passport, form filled in, and hope you don't get a stroppy thai.

The last time I extended in CM I brought the bank letter written a few days prior stating that I had 800k in the account, along with the bank book showing same. The immo guy did not accept it because the book had not been updated since the initial 800k had been deposited (it was a 6 month term account). Fortunately I had brought other bank books along just in case that had been recently updated which had the necessary funds, which he reluctantly accepted without the accompanying letter. So be sure to get the book updated at the same time you get the letter, even if it is a term deposit account. You can never bring too much stuff to these guys...

I did not think they accepted term deposit accounts - not 2 years ago anyway

But I would be grateful for clarification.

They do not accept term deposit accounts. Has to be in an accessible accont

Bangkok (Blue Pass Book)

Bangkok (Blue Pass Book)

Can someone clarify this for me please. I have my money in a term deposit which is accessible at any time with penalties of course, but it's still easy to withdraw the money (SCB) It says in the book fixed deposit. I don't have another 800K floating around, does this mean even though I have the money in a fixed account I'm not eligble for an extension? :)

Bangkok (Blue Pass Book)

Can someone clarify this for me please. I have my money in a term deposit which is accessible at any time with penalties of course, but it's still easy to withdraw the money (SCB) It says in the book fixed deposit. I don't have another 800K floating around, does this mean even though I have the money in a fixed account I'm not eligble for an extension? :D

Sorry friend they do not accept fixed account period. They mean accessible yours is not. They want to see money come and money go. :)

Sorry, gotlost.

CM Imm has accepted, and will accept term deposit accounts.

Immigration changed the law on this years ago. I believe Oct 2006.

When one gets a bank letter, the letter clearly states "Khun Zed has 2 accounts at Nakhon Nowhere Bank, one a fixed deposit account, number 00088999XXX with 657,894.25 THB. Other account savings, number 00008975XXX with 405,899.75 THB."

I actually had 4 accounts, at 2 banks when I went in 22 Sept 2009 (last week). Each bank had a fixed deposit account, and a simple savings account.

Absolutely no problem. And this is the 4th year I have used fixed deposit accounts as part of my retirement extension requirements at Chiang Mai Immigration.

Of course I had all my copies of passbooks, establishing the "seasoned money" requirement.

You need copies of more than your face page, and last year's extension.

A copy of your original VISA (pasted in page, issued outside of Thailand) on which the extension is based.

A copy of your most recent entry stamp, in your passport (not the duplicate that is stamped on the arrival and departure card).

And as mentioned above, the copy of the page with the last extension, if you have one.

And the departure card.

New system at CM Imm- a queue ticket machine.

Far left corner.

Hit the UK flag logo for English menu.

Select appropriate desire: Matrimonial Visa, 90 day check in, etc.

Do not approach the windows without a ticket being called- they will politely point at the machine.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I was in and out in 2:15 for annual retirement extension, and multi-entry permit (a separate transaction).

Busy day, but OK. :)

Sorry, gotlost.

CM Imm has accepted, and will accept term deposit accounts.

Immigration changed the law on this years ago. I believe Oct 2006.

When one gets a bank letter, the letter clearly states "Khun Zed has 2 accounts at Nakhon Nowhere Bank, one a fixed deposit account, number 00088999XXX with 657,894.25 THB. Other account savings, number 00008975XXX with 405,899.75 THB."

I actually had 4 accounts, at 2 banks when I went in 22 Sept 2009 (last week). Each bank had a fixed deposit account, and a simple savings account.

Absolutely no problem. And this is the 4th year I have used fixed deposit accounts as part of my retirement extension requirements at Chiang Mai Immigration.

Of course I had all my copies of passbooks, establishing the "seasoned money" requirement.

You need copies of more than your face page, and last year's extension.

A copy of your original VISA (pasted in page, issued outside of Thailand) on which the extension is based.

A copy of your most recent entry stamp, in your passport (not the duplicate that is stamped on the arrival and departure card).

And as mentioned above, the copy of the page with the last extension, if you have one.

And the departure card.

New system at CM Imm- a queue ticket machine.

Far left corner.

Hit the UK flag logo for English menu.

Select appropriate desire: Matrimonial Visa, 90 day check in, etc.

Do not approach the windows without a ticket being called- they will politely point at the machine.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I was in and out in 2:15 for annual retirement extension, and multi-entry permit (a separate transaction).

Busy day, but OK. :)

Thanks for sharing that, I was a little stressed for a while, I'll do what you suggest and get an all encompassing letter regarding my accounts and of course plenty of copies :D