Duh!

Greenside

OK, I admit it. I've been dumb. dumb, dumb. Until today I'd just assumed that the car and bike hire businesses in the centre of town were dominated by one family, the most high profile of which were Pop Carrent and his uncle Dang. Duh!

Maybe these guys changed their names officially but either way it's an interesting modern cross cultural take on the development of surname from occupation in the same vein as Messrs Miller, Baker and Smith.

Am I the only one to have been this dumb? Come on, own up..... :)

669248975_fdKcg-M.jpg

Edited by Greenside

Professional Thai boxers typically take on the name of their gym. Band members may adopt their band name as surname (Ad Carabao, e.g.). These aren't exactly cross cultural examples but I think this kind of thing is common around here.

not too differrent from UK during the past, where surnames were taking from their respective professions

Blacksmith

Cartwight

Baker

Gardener

Cooper

Potter

Shepard

Mona :D

Cryer :)

but i guess the difference is that it wont be their legal name, just their nick name

Edited by Donnyboy

Some years back, on the space now with a fence around it, and next to what was "Domino's, and in front of the Top North Hotel, used to be a garden type night spot with pretty good music.

It was operated by a Thai Guy named..... "Dang Fantastic "

..... for the memory impared, in front of the Bar Beer Center ...

G

These strange 'Thai' names are on the increase!

My students used to be called things like Poom, Ping Golf etc. Now my classrooms are filling up with the likes of Garfield, Tractor (his brother, Helicopter, will be starting next year), Farmhouse, Tingly Henry, Printer and my personal favourite (name) It.

At least it makes calling out the register a bit more fun.

Funny.

Dang should actually be Daeng though, right? Daeng as in red "แดง", which seems to be a common nik name for men. I have heard men with the name Daeng being given various versions like Dang or Dan.. but Thai people are so accommodating that i rarely ever see anyone correct a mispronounced or badly pronounced name. Im sure ive been guilty many times of saying a Thai name incorrectly. :D But im off topic a bit... :)

> Daeng as in red "แดง", which seems to be a common nik name for men.

Common for women too.

(For older folks of course, as it must rank up there with the most unfashionable of names right now. :) )

I don't understand the post however. He thought 'Carrent' was his last name? ( Maybe I should consume more beer before it will start to make sense. )

As for last names, most of the women in my phone contacts list seem to have a bar name as a last name. Scrolling down the list it goes like 'Aom Lucky', 'Bee BBBB', 'Lek Easy', 'Cat Marin', 'Phai Sabai' and so on.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

....Until today I'd just assumed that the car and bike hire businesses in the centre of town were dominated by one family, the most high profile of which were Pop Carrent and his uncle Dang.
I don't understand the post however. He thought 'Carrent' was his last name? ( Maybe I should consume more beer before it will start to make sense. )

Sorry, I thought my post was plain as day. Pop Carrent and "Uncle" Dang Carrent. Carrent.......Car Rent.......geddit?

A lot more beer needed, I'd say :)

Thanks for clarifying. Will purchase beer. :D

(To his defence though, they did spell Carrent as one word. Avis doesn't spell it that way, they spell 'Car Rental' with a space in between. :)

I don't even notice the small stuff anymore. Heck I'm happy when I open a menu and it doesn't say:

ข้าวผัดปู

Cow Pat Poo

Fried rice with Crap

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

(To his defence though, they did spell Carrent as one word. Avis doesn't spell it that way, they spell 'Car Rental' with a space in between. :D

I don't even notice the small stuff anymore. Heck I'm happy when I open a menu and it doesn't say:

ข้าวผัดปู

Cow Pat Poo

Fried rice with Crap

or fried cow with crap... K or C ? :)

There was also a guy asking On here how long the YEARLY flu vacine lasted :D There might be a clue in the name :D

That reminded me of a time I was offshore in the middle of the sea on a steel barge, with 3 of us looking over the side to the water. There was a ladder going down the side of the barge but the bottom rung did not make it to the water, and one of the guys pointed it out. Then the other one said, in his infinite wisdom, "must be low tide". Hmmm, bubbles in the brain me thinks.

:D

..and you reminded me of a video on the net i saw some years ago, taken from the tv, where an interviewer says to a lady who fell off her horse, "It was a terrible fall, wasn't it. Was it fatal?" :)

(To his defence though, they did spell Carrent as one word. Avis doesn't spell it that way, they spell 'Car Rental' with a space in between. :)

ข้าวผัดปู

Cow Pat Poo

Fried rice with Crap

nothing like a nice plate of rice with crap... gets me everytime, tell people back home they dont believe me

There was also a guy asking On here how long the YEARLY flu vacine lasted, There might be a clue in the name.

you mean the annual flu shot? the one that only gives you coverage for a few months? just long enough to get through flu season?

I always get a strange look from the waitress at a Canadian Thai restaurant when I ask for Kow Pat Moo. The Thai owner might know what I mean, but the cute Asian waitress doesn't. It's always good for a chuckle.

I always get a strange look from the waitress at a Canadian Thai restaurant when I ask for Kow Pat Moo. The Thai owner might know what I mean, but the cute Asian waitress doesn't. It's always good for a chuckle.

Care to tell us other clueless ones? :)

Maybe .... I took it to mean that when he orders Thai Food, in a Thai Rest back in Canada, from an Asian [maybe Thai girl]

that while they look Thai, they never have set foot in Thailand and probably don't understand or speak Thai. Very little at the least. The owner does but the second gereration does not....

Now remember UG .... I said maybe...

One of the GF's family gave birth to a daughter and I asked what they had named her.

'New' of course, but what will they call the next one, Newer?

We shall wait and see.

I heard of a couple who named their 12th baby Again. Folks must have kept asking, "Are you pregnant again?"

Maybe .... I took it to mean that when he orders Thai Food, in a Thai Rest back in Canada, from an Asian [maybe Thai girl]

that while they look Thai, they never have set foot in Thailand and probably don't understand or speak Thai. Very little at the least. The owner does but the second gereration does not....

Now remember UG .... I said maybe...

By George, I think that you've got it. I really have been here a long time. :D