Exorbitant Customs Tax

daeng1212

I've run into a problem with the Thai Customs Bureau (กรมศุลกากร). My parents sent me some protective motorcycle clothing which I ordered over the internet from a company in the U.S. The two boxes arrived at the post office, but Thai Customs is demanding I pay approximately 2100 baht in import taxes. They listed the value of the items to be 5400 baht, so that's a tax of almost 40%! I haven't paid the tax yet - I've made an appointment to see a lawyer about this on Monday. Some of the Thai folks I've talked to here say that import taxes should only be levied on items that are to be sold commercially, which is not the case here. The items are marked as gifts (which is correct, since most of the money for the items was a gift from my parents). Has anyone else had a problem like this? Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this exorbitant tax? As far as I can tell, the main Customs office is in Bangkok, and I live in northern Thailand. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

- Daeng

I've run into a problem with the Thai Customs Bureau (กรมศุลกากร).  My parents sent me some protective motorcycle clothing which I ordered over the internet from a company in the U.S.  The two boxes arrived at the post office, but Thai Customs is demanding I pay approximately 2100 baht in import taxes.  They listed the value of the items to be 5400 baht,  so that's a tax of  almost 40%!  I haven't paid the tax yet - I've made an appointment to see a lawyer about this on Monday.    Some of the Thai folks I've talked to here say that import taxes should only be levied on items that are to be sold commercially, which is not the case here.  The items are marked as gifts (which is correct, since most of the money for the items was a gift from my parents).  Has anyone else had a problem like this?  Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this exorbitant tax?  As far as I can tell, the main Customs office is in Bangkok, and I live in northern Thailand.  Thanks for any help anyone can give.

- Daeng

What the heck are you talking about....2100 Baht on import duties, which is around US$ 50.-- for probably expensive 'protective' motorcycle clothing which your parents probably valued very low...for customs purposes.

Be fair and admit that the items sent to you were much more than just the 5400 Baht on the declaration forms :o

Now you're seeing a lawyer about this??? :D

I would think twice if I were you.

LaoPo

I've run into a problem with the Thai Customs Bureau (กรมศุลกากร).  My parents sent me some protective motorcycle clothing which I ordered over the internet from a company in the U.S.  The two boxes arrived at the post office, but Thai Customs is demanding I pay approximately 2100 baht in import taxes.  They listed the value of the items to be 5400 baht,  so that's a tax of  almost 40%!  I haven't paid the tax yet - I've made an appointment to see a lawyer about this on Monday.    Some of the Thai folks I've talked to here say that import taxes should only be levied on items that are to be sold commercially, which is not the case here.  The items are marked as gifts (which is correct, since most of the money for the items was a gift from my parents).  Has anyone else had a problem like this?  Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this exorbitant tax?  As far as I can tell, the main Customs office is in Bangkok, and I live in northern Thailand.  Thanks for any help anyone can give.

- Daeng

:o:D:D

And how much is this "lawyer" going to charge you? And what, exactly, is he supposed to do for you?

:D:D:D

dont waste your time seeing a lawyer here , this is not the usa.

a lawyer will milk you for far more than 2100b and you still wont get your stuff.

import duties have to be paid , you might be able to reduce it a bit with a smile and some good attitude ,

I pay approximately 2100 baht in import taxes

if you dont pay it you will never see your protective motorcycle clothing , well , you might , but somebody else will be wearing it.

it sounds cheap.

let us know how you get on.

isnt thailand a bit too hot for all that protective clothing.?

I've always thought so, but you should see DavidGT in his pink Ninja Armour Outfit. Even the Orange Crush busses can't do him in. I'm pretty sure he could jump off a cliff in his outfit. Not sure if he would, though he's an Aussie....  :o

a couple of buddhas on a chain round your neck and some rubber underpants is all you need.

That's the truth for me, minus the rubber underpants, of course. Not my cup of tea.  :D 

:D

My parents sent me some protective motorcycle clothing which I ordered over the internet from a company in the U.S.

Your parents sent? that you ordered? This isn't making a lot of sense...

The two boxes arrived at the post office, but Thai Customs is demanding I pay approximately 2100 baht in import taxes.  They listed the value of the items to be 5400 baht,  so that's a tax of  almost 40%!  I haven't paid the tax yet - I've made an appointment to see a lawyer about this on Monday.    Some of the Thai folks I've talked to here say that import taxes should only be levied on items that are to be sold commercially, which is not the case here.
Sorry - import duty isn't only on stuff to be sold commercially. It's all imports of bought goods (over 1,000 baht). (Exemptions exist for personal effects, i.e. stuff you already own when you come into the country. Otherwise tourists would be liable for import duty on their cameras, watches, etc., and people immigrating would be taxed on their belongings...)
The items are marked as gifts (which is correct, since most of the money for the items was a gift from my parents).

most of?

Has anyone else had a problem like this?
Yes, do a search for customs on the site.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this exorbitant tax?

Yes - don't send things into Thailand! If you want something specific, take it in with you next time you're abroad. The other thing is that supposedly items under $25 US aren't hit by duty, so ship separately, in pieces, each piece worth less than $25. (shipping costs would, of course, be higher).

In theory, the Customs office does have a valuation appeal process. However, if the duty has been applied to the actual cost of the goods (inc. shipping costs), the valuation would appear correct. The only other thing you could maybe appeal on is the category of goods that it's been applied to, if you are CERTAIN a lower tariff applies. (But 40% isn't particularly high by Thai standards)

For postal packages - http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Posta...e=PostalParcels

As far as I can tell, the main Customs office is in Bangkok, and I live in northern Thailand.  Thanks for any help anyone can give.

- Daeng

Apart from the person who got his embassy involved when customs applied duty to medical supplies to a charity, the only way to deal with customs duty is to pay it, or not get the goods.

That '40%' wouldn't be all import duty. Sounds like they've taxed you at the regular rate of 30% and then added 7% VAT on the total. Standard procedure.

It's unlikely your local post office has the power to change it. They just act as the collection agent. If you contest it, you'll have a lengthy hassle with the Customs bureau at Rong Muang or lose the goods. Customs HQ at Rong Muang will not be sympathetic and you can expect additional storage charges.

I import a fair bit and your assessment sounds reasonable to me. It's similar to what I've always paid.

You might also like to add a quick prayer that it turned up safely. The British post office sent the last shipment addressed to me to Singapore even though it was clearly marked Thailand.

It took me a month to track it down and get it back. :o

Just get friends to bring the items on their next trip. I don't want customs or anyother government office looking at me. Just keep a low profile. Once you raise a stink, you'll be screwed for anything else you might want to bring in.

Edited by Kringle

This is Daeng again. A big thank you to everyone who has responded. And I don’t mind the criticisms at all. Posts from bkk_mike, taxexile, Chuchok, Kringle, Camelot, and HarryHacker were especially helpful. I still think the tax is exorbitant, but it’s helps somewhat to know that the Customs Bureau is at least acting within the parameters of their regulations

To answer questions:

to LaoPo: yes, the actual value of the taxed clothing is higher, but not by a lot – about 6900 baht.

to Wimpy: I haven’t talked to the lawyer yet. I’m assuming he’ll give a little free initial advice (from what you’ve all said, that will probably be: “There’s nothing you can do to get the tax reduced.”). I’ll be careful to not let myself get charged a lot for service that doesn’t bear results.

to taxexile: The protective item is a Fieldsheer mesh jacket with armor. From what I’ve read on the internet, it’s not hot at all, once you get moving on the motorcycle.

To bkk_mike: yeah, it’s a little complicated. My parents gave me a monetary gift for Christmas and put it into my U.S. bank account. I then ordered the items over the internet. About 60% of the cost was covered by the monetary gift; the rest came from my own personal funds. Since the companies I ordered from don’t ship overseas, I had them send the items to my parents, who then repackaged them and sent them to me.