Bangkok Prepares For High Water Levels,flooding

george

Bangkok prepares for high water levels,flooding

BANGKOK: -- Four million sandbags have been prepared as temporary embankment walls to cope with coming floods in Bangkok at the peak of this month's wet season, a deputy Bangkok governor said yesterday.

The sandbags will be utilised to prevent flooding at 15 locations most prone to flash foods, said Phornthep Techapaiboon. Flood drainage operations and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's BEST rapid-response teams are also on standby to help with emergency flooding, he added.

Water level in canals have been kept at a low level to cope with high rainwater volume, he said. "We expect the drainage of extra water flowing to the Chao Phya River and to the Gulf of Thailand estuary will be fast enough to cope with the rainwater volume," he added.

The 15 roads and locations at greatest risk of flash floods are Chan, Sri Ayutthaya, Soi Sukhumvit 39, 49, 66 and 103, Lat Phrao, Nawamin, Ratchaphisek road at Robinson mall and at Lat Phrao intersection, Phetchaburi road from Banthad Thong to Ratchathewi roads, Nikhom Makkasan, Rama VI, Phetkasem, Yen Arkas, Sri Nakharin and Sanam Chai-Maha Raj road.

The water catchment areas are still capable of holding another 50 per cent of the current maximum capacity. If the maximum rainwater volume reaches 1,800 mm, from the current rate at 1,600, it will be a record for the past 30 years, said Phornthep.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-10-06

The 15 roads and locations at greatest risk of flash floods are Chan, Sri Ayutthaya, Soi Sukhumvit 39, 49, 66 and 103, Lat Phrao, Nawamin, Ratchaphisek road at Robinson mall and at Lat Phrao intersection, Phetchaburi road from Banthad Thong to Ratchathewi roads, Nikhom Makkasan, Rama VI, Phetkasem, Yen Arkas, Sri Nakharin and Sanam Chai-Maha Raj road.

That's all? For a second there, with all the build-up, I thought this might be about widespread flooding that affects large numbers of people.

Good marketing! Remember if looking for a place to live in. Choose one of these locations... :D

Well, more seriously speaking, I lived for awhile at Lad Phrao and one morning the condominiums downstairs was flooded up to 1,5 meters so that people could not get to work. Nice! And we are not talking about an old unit, it was brand new one.

And, of course, Thais are in denial saying that global changes in sea levels will not affect Bangkok when at the same time sea line is declining - was it 60 meters a year ??? :)

Go away! There's nothing to see here. Heheh.

Bangkok prepares for high water levels,flooding

Water level in canals have been kept at a low level to cope with high rainwater volume, he said. "We expect the drainage of extra water flowing to the Chao Phya River and to the Gulf of Thailand estuary will be fast enough to cope with the rainwater volume," he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-10-06

The klongs over here, east of the city, look fairly high already, so I doubt they or some of the water catchment areas like the three lakes on our estate that have just be plumbed into the klong system will soak up much of the expected rain. I can never work out why they don't release more of the water on low tides. Is it bureaucracy in the irrigation department?

Good marketing! Remember if looking for a place to live in. Choose one of these locations... :D

Well, more seriously speaking, I lived for awhile at Lad Phrao and one morning the condominiums downstairs was flooded up to 1,5 meters so that people could not get to work. Nice! And we are not talking about an old unit, it was brand new one.

And, of course, Thais are in denial saying that global changes in sea levels will not affect Bangkok when at the same time sea line is declining - was it 60 meters a year ??? :)

Wow?? it is about time Farangs educate the Thais about Global symptom that will never go away...I urge you all write Thai or English newspapers. At the same token,we need to advocate Thais on the streets, universities, high schools, temples, markets, super markets and churches. Farangs who live in Thailand know the situation beforehand and we all will save Bangkok...the land of smile....thanks for Posting and I urge all of us make our difference...my take and opinion...

With the weather due to change this month and the rain cease, if we are at 50% capacity at present I think this is a bit of a knee jerk reaction. Ever heard - "Prevention is better then cure?"

But the weather is still warm so bring your swimmers! :)

Gadzeus, Northernmost Thailand, where I'm based, is dry as a katoy's teat. Me and my workers have been doing burn piles. The Chiang Rai water diversion dam (east of town) has all its eleven gates closed tight. Usually the dams are all open at this time, and don't close down (pneumatically) until Feb/March.

Meanwhile, the highest value property in Thailand is downtown Bkk. What a strange species we are.

Farangs who live in Thailand know the situation beforehand and we all will save Bangkok...the land of smile.

I might venture to assist saving that which warrants saving. I doubt that would include a sinking city.

Gadzeus, Northernmost Thailand, where I'm based, is dry as a katoy's teat. Me and my workers have been doing burn piles. The Chiang Rai water diversion dam (east of town) has all its eleven gates closed tight. Usually the dams are all open at this time, and don't close down (pneumatically) until Feb/March.

Meanwhile, the highest value property in Thailand is downtown Bkk. What a strange species we are.

Farangs who live in Thailand know the situation beforehand and we all will save Bangkok...the land of smile.

I might venture to assist saving that which warrants saving. I doubt that would include a sinking city.

Only the high floors mate, and apparently with good reason. :)

Wow?? it is about time Farangs educate the Thais about Global symptom that will never go away...I urge you all write Thai or English newspapers. At the same token,we need to advocate Thais on the streets, universities, high schools, temples, markets, super markets and churches. Farangs who live in Thailand know the situation beforehand and we all will save Bangkok...the land of smile....thanks for Posting and I urge all of us make our difference...my take and opinion...

Excellent point- Farangs know everything and Thais know nothing so it is up to the farang to educate the Thai. Ah, the white man's burden.

Perhaps a Thai should educate you on your English grammar and usage. Perhaps we could have the same engineers who built New Orleans come in and show Thais how to deal with these, what did you call them? oh yes, Global symptoms.

By the way, it is either 'At the same time....' or 'By the same token...' which, incidentally, are pretty much opposites.

Edited by ramsesxix

1 Meter is about 33.3 feet so 60 METERS are about 180 feet !

33.3x60~1800 feet - BTW

:D:D:D

So,..... that would mean if I am 1.86 meters tall, I would equal 61.938 feet (1.86x33.3)??? :):D

I knew I should have gone for a career in basketball... :D:D

1 meter = 3.2808399 (~3.33) feet

There still seems a lot of education to be done in the US, as well as Canada... no offense intended

ten fingers or not :D

1 Meter is about 33.3 feet so 60 METERS are about 180 feet !

33.3x60~1800 feet - BTW

:D:D:D

So,..... that would mean if I am 1.86 meters tall, I would equal 61.938 feet (1.86x33.3)??? :):D

I knew I should have gone for a career in basketball... :D:D

1 meter = 3.2808399 (~3.33) feet

There still seems a lot of education to be done in the US, as well as Canada... no offense intended

ten fingers or not :D

Mmmmm........I agree with your comparison ........at least that is what I was taught at school a long long time ago.

But hey.....not having been taught in either of the 2 aforementioned countries, could it be that they were taught from a different curriculum you think?

The Government should have another crack down? But this time do it on all the main roads in Bangkok so the water will flow away. :) Problem solved :D ........

Oh, Fred. You beat me to it. Reading the article I was just thinking how this could be easily solved with another crackdown. :D

<deleted>? I don't get it why you people do a lot of talking when moskito had a typing error? Didn't he write that 60m is about 180 feet??? The forum is getting boring with so many mocking and useless comments!

THANK YOU Mr Thunder,

but its very common for some of the members here, not many posts about the topic, but a lot of words without content. :)

You're not wrong :D

RIGHT :) I should type more slowly, thx

10mm = 1 cm

10cm or 100mm = 1 dm

10 dm or 100cm = 1m

1000m = 1km

and btw, forget the dm (decimeter) :D

distances on roads in Thailand are by the way also in KM indicated (1 kilometer 1km=1000m ) and gasoline is in LITER, not in Gallons.

anyway, someone NEWS here on the TOPIC ?

Please remember to bring your car to inspection at your nearest service center / garage.

For Ford Focus owner!!! please make sure you ask your service center what is the exact height of the maximum water level your car can support before water getting sucked into your engine through the air intake.

My Ford Focus is now still (2 weeks) Ford Service Center (Rama II) with a broken engine !!! yes a broken engine (with a big hole) due to water entered from the ~@!$ air intake which is suppose to prevent water from going into the engine. I am still fighting on bad car design and factory default.

go and ask them. It is the only white color ford 5 door in there.

If there is ever a flood, I advise that if you are not in a hurry, please U-turn or stop and go for a "kao niow, gai yang" first. better safe than sorry.

This link to the Global Post explains and summarizes Bangkok's looming environmental disaster in a nutshell. If you click on the video on the front page the best and simplest 60 second explanation I've seen on this will show that unless major environmental and administrative changes are made now, by 2030 Bangkok WILL be under water. Anybody that has been here for a while will see the obvious problem. Massive increased building on a clay base has to have any geologist wondering who's approving this further development; combined with the Venice of the East now being turned into a heaving metropolois of cars, buses and more concrete show Thailand's craving for materialistic development over-riding any common-sense when it comes to long term consequences. Unfortunately within government circles the apparent need for urgent redevelopment or contingency plans seem totally non-existant!

Really, have a look at this: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/thailan...ngkok-sinking-1