Given Slams Fifa's Decision To Seed Play-offs

Jockstar

I have to agree with him. It should be a fair play off and not just so the big guns can get there. If they are good enough they will make it. :)

Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Shay Given has slammed FIFA's decision to protect the tradtional bigger nations by seeding the European World Cup play-offs as "disgusting".

Shay Given: Wanted a fair, open draw for play-offs

FIFA announced last week that there would not be an "open draw" between the eight nations which make it through to November's two-legged knockout ties. It means that there is no chance of Germany and France playing each other for a place on the plane to South Africa should they both end up in second place in their group.

If the draw was made now the seeded nations would be Croatia, France, Greece and Russia. And they would be drawn against either Bosnia, Ireland, Slovenia or Sweden. Of course, those teams could change by next Wednesday.

It is a tactic which both FIFA and UEFA have used in the past for qualifying play-offs, seemingly afraid that a tournament without one of those big names is unthinkable. In 2005, Spain were seeded and drawn against Slovakia, the weakest of the six teams in the play-offs.

Given is furious at the decision, which he understandbly feels could hurt Ireland's chances of making it to the finals next summer.

He said: "I think it's pretty disgusting, to be honest. Before a ball is kicked, these things should be made clear. Now they change it because some of the big nations are struggling. It's beyond belief, if you ask me.

"It's pretty disgusting because we are a smaller nation and for them to move the goalposts a few weeks before the end of the campaign is pretty poor. The smaller nations should maybe put up more of a fight because it is not fair.''

Coach Giovanni Trapattoni believes the rules should be changed in future to ensure all teams are competing on an even playing field. He said: "In the future, FIFA and UEFA have to think about changing this rule.

"Four or five years ago, the big teams - like Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid - wanted to create a super league, but it was dangerous for football and they gave up on it. That would have been the death of football. It was football for eight teams and the others are dead.

"This situation in the future must change, because every country has the right to qualify. This draw must be open to give the same opportunity to everybody.''

Of course it should be a fair draw.Its ridiculous having seeds when only 8 teams are involved.

That said,I'm surprised that Sweden/Portugal have not been seeded and I think the Irish would have a chance against any of Croatia,France or Greece.

The one to avoid is the team that is runner up in the Russia/Germany group.They play each other this weekend.Nice if the Ruskies turned them over ! :)

FIFA does not have any concept of fair play.

The whole seeding system is an ass anyway. If performance at world cup finals is any yardstick, European teams should have close to 75% of the places. The semifinalists normally contain 3 teams from Europe, sometimes 4, sometimes 2.

At present Europe is trimmed back to 13 places or 40% of the 32 teams at the finals.

It's all about politics and money

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I am at a wedding that day, but I reckon I will use the lad to be home early enough to watch it.

Given to be on fire

and a 2-0 victory dance, whaddya-think?

I imagine it will be an evening of tension rather than entertainment. As of now anything nil would be ok. The possible advantage of being away in the 2nd leg is in the event of extra time, the home team (France) would be extremly nervous as a goal for us would mean they would have to get 2. I have to say i am not optimistic. I hope we will not get short changed by the officials in either of the 2 legs. :)

As I feared unfortuneately. We are not out of it at 0-1 but very much 2nd favourites. The goal was fortunate but we would have to admit we very much played 2nd fiddle in the 2nd half.

The longer we can prevent France from scoring in the Stade de France means we will still have a chance. :)

As I feared unfortuneately. We are not out of it at 0-1 but very much 2nd favourites. The goal was fortunate but we would have to admit we very much played 2nd fiddle in the 2nd half.

The longer we can prevent France from scoring in the Stade de France means we will still have a chance. :)

Yeah the 2nd half was bad. It was a lucky goal though.

We have to score two to win. If we can get one thats a start.

Ireland may as well go down fighting.

Even if France score 1st a goal for us would make them fairly nervous. Hopefully we can still be there with a chance in the last 20 minutes or so. At that stage we would have to go for it. The worst scenario would be to meekly accept elimination. :)

France 1 Ireland 1 AET (France win 2-1 on aggregate)

Thanks to a blatant double handball by Thierry Henry France are going to the World Cup. Blatter and Platini must be happy and of course will do nothing to try and eliminate miscarragies of justice like this. Extra officials behind the goal as in Europa League would surely be of benefit.

A terrific display by Ireland but I felt when we missed a couple of great chances in the 2nd half we missed the bus. A 2nd away goal for us would have required France to score twice to go through.

Thanks to a blatant double handball by Thierry Henry France are going to the World Cup. Blatter and Platini must be happy and of course will do nothing to try and eliminate miscarragies of justice like this. Extra officials behind the goal as in Europa League would surely be of benefit.

A terrific display by Ireland but I felt when we missed a couple of great chances in the 2nd half we missed the bus. A 2nd away goal for us would have required France to score twice to go through.

Haven't seen it but have heard about the handball. Platini will be pleased.

To clarify though, if the goal wasn't allowed doesn't mean that France wouldn't be going anyway. Both would be at 1-1 away goals and headed for extra time / penalties, at which point I Given could have been the hero.

To clarify though, if the goal wasn't allowed doesn't mean that France wouldn't be going anyway. Both would be at 1-1 away goals and headed for extra time / penalties, at which point I Given could have been the hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TbBonXhTVI

sad way to go out and the irish players' reactions tell the story. sometimes the ref / lino spots it, sometimes they don't. if duff or keane had stuck away their great second half chances ireland would be africa-bound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TbBonXhTVI

sad way to go out and the irish players' reactions tell the story. sometimes the ref / lino spots it, sometimes they don't. if duff or keane had stuck away their great second half chances ireland would be africa-bound.

Thanks for that Stevie, F-ck me that's horrible officiating. Was it the same ref as the Chelsea Barca CL semi final by chance?

Thanks for that Stevie, F-ck me that's horrible officiating. Was it the same ref as the Chelsea Barca CL semi final by chance?

don't think so. that was anders frisk wasn't it?

i feel a bit for the ref in this one, he didn't have the benefit of slo-mo replays and henry's a crafty get.

i feel a bit for the ref in this one, he didn't have the benefit of slo-mo replays and henry's a crafty get.

what was the linesman on the other side looking at I wonder?

what was the linesman on the other side looking at I wonder?

the badge saying 'official world cup 2010 linesman' which michel platini generously gave to him at half-time.

Just to clarify. Anders Frisk retired a few years ago after a Barca Chelsea game at the Nou Camp. The special one claimed that Frank Rijard has gone in to referees room at HT.

The 2nd leg semifinal last season was "handled" by Tom Henning Ovrebo.

Just to clarify. Anders Frisk retired a few years ago after a Barca Chelsea game at the Nou Camp. The special one claimed that Frank Rijard has gone in to referees room at HT.

The 2nd leg semifinal last season was "handled" by Tom Henning Ovrebo.

little more to it. anders frisk retired after receiving death threats from chelsea fans.