Taco Valley On Pattaya Klang, What's The Buzz?!?

Jingthing

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are waiting for a lover of Taco Bell style "cuisine" to try out Taco Valley and let us know how it stacks up. It won't be me.

Jingthing -- enough, already, with the Mexican food!

Get a life!

I will take your learned advice under consideration. One way to start, don't read or post personal digs to threads which don't interest me!

i'd go to Taco Valley and try it but i got that thing going on. the rest of you have no excuses whatsoever and you're all being a bunch of big chickens.
Well I am no chicken, but I don't wish to waste even one meal on food that I am certain that to my taste will be crapola, and yes, I can tell from the pictures. I am quite adventurous with experimenting when there appears to be a chance I will like it. Edited by Jingthing

i'd go to Taco Valley and try it but i got that thing going on. the rest of you have no excuses whatsoever and you're all being a bunch of big chickens.

Great, now's the perfect time for a Big Chicken thread...

"If the man who invented the drawing board had failed, what would he have gone back to...?"

-Stephen Wright

We are waiting for a lover of Taco Bell style "cuisine" to try out Taco Valley and let us know how it stacks up. It won't be me.

Get a life!

I will take your learned advice under consideration. One way to start, don't read or post personal digs to threads which don't interest me!

What can I do? I love Mexican food. I just don't want to wade through endless and repetitive bloviation. Please advise.

Get a life!

What can I do? I love Mexican food. I just don't want to wade through endless and repetitive bloviation. Please advise.

BKK to SFO via NRT

On Wednesday night, I braved eating at Taco Valley, the new Korean-owned eatery on Klang, just west of the Top's parking lot. The restaurant is very attractive, looking almost like a sushi bar, and is well-located. It seats about 24, and there's an additional table outside giving a nice view of the action on Klang. The menu is sparse, with only five choices: fajitas, tacos, burritos, quesadillas and nachos. All come with a choice of beef or chicken.

The reason for the small menu becomes obvious, when you look at the kitchen facilities. There's a stove, a grill and a microwave, but there's almost no preparation area, and no back kitchen for prep work. Any prep work must be done on a little counter next to a sink towards the rear of the dining area. The menu choices are all based on about 17 ingredients: beef/chicken, Mexican rice, white rice, kidney beans, bell peppers (red, green and yellow), jalapenos, green onions, Spanish onions, cheeses, sour cream, flour tortillas, corn tortilla chips and salsa. Basically, the menu items are variations on these ingredients (the burrito has no cheese and comes with Mexican rice, the taco has no rice or cheese, the fajitas have white rice, the quesadilla and nachos have no rice).

I ordered a chicken burrito and nachos (they ran out of beef - I could tell they had some large parties in the restaurant before I ate, as the tables still had not been bussed). The good news is the burrito was surprisingly good. The grilled flour tortilla had a great texture, the salsa and jalapenos gave it quite a kick, and the Mexican rice is very good. No refried beans however, and this makes the burrito similar to Sunrise, but I thought it tasted a little better. As the burrito was quite spicy, it was nice to have some sweet taco sauce as a condiment to balance the heat. The nachos, unfortunately, were an abomination. In addition to the real cheese, the nachos were topped with some processed American cheese. While this might be acceptable at a cinema or ballpark, it is not acceptable at a restaurant.

I did like the paintings of the classic rock musicians on the wall, and the music in the restaurant is good classic rock. The burrito is 120 baht, and I would go back for a burrito snack. Unfortunately, I wouldn't say this is a restaurant for dinner, and, while the service was good, you might wait 10-15 minutes for your burrito. I'm not sure it's worth waiting that long for a snack.

P1010926.jpg

P1010927.jpg

P1010929.jpg

P1010936.jpg

P1010937.jpg

P1010938.jpg

P1010939.jpg

P1010940.jpg

P1010942.jpg

P1010943.jpg

P1010945.jpg

Look at the picture of their so called burrito. See how its open faced. BTW, where's the MEAT? Anyway, see how it looks like a Taco Bell "burrito" but I presume they have cheese at Taco Bell. It is good to hear they are spicing up their ersatz "Mexican" food, I suppose that might be the Korean angle as Koreans like the hot pepper taste.

Last time I went to Sunrise, they had black beans and kidney beans, but no refried beans. The chicken has a marinated coating and is the same color as the rice, as can be seen in the pictures of the nachos.

Hmmm, I never saw the fish and chips store on Larkin in the City, is it better than Yorkshire Fish and Chips on Shattuck in Berkeley?

At Sunrise, you have a CHOICE of bean type to add to your burrito. Just correcting the previous post implying Sunrise burritos don't have beans.

The pictures posted of Taco Valley food really look disgusting to me.........sorry..........no chance I will ever try it.

As an aside, I just saw a link to "Monita's" new "Mexican" place in Bangkok and read where they got their inspiration........again, no chance I will ever try it.

All of these places seem to be influenced by a California-Crap-Mex style of cooking.

When will one person open a real Mexican restaurant in Thailand with really good Tex-Mex food?

I wonder if I will ever see it happen.

What's next, a squid taco?

At Sunrise, you have a CHOICE of bean type to add to your burrito. Just correcting the previous post implying Sunrise burritos don't have beans.

The pictures posted of Taco Valley food really look disgusting to me.........sorry..........no chance I will ever try it.

As an aside, I just saw a link to "Monita's" new "Mexican" place in Bangkok and read where they got their inspiration........again, no chance I will ever try it.

All of these places seem to be influenced by a California-Crap-Mex style of cooking.

When will one person open a real Mexican restaurant in Thailand with really good Tex-Mex food?

Agreed it still doesn't sound good, but for somewhat different reasons (to me this new place is much more Taco Bell than good Cali-Mex).

I don't care exactly which style of GOOD Mexican restaurant opens here, I would be happy with ANY style of GOOD Mexican restaurant! Including, Cali-Mex, Tex-Mex, Mex-Mex, New Mexico-Mex, whatever except Taco Bell Mex or Thai Mex.

Squid burritos? Guilty! They can be excellent! There is a place in Monterey California that is famous for them (some of the best squid in the world comes from there).

Agreed it still doesn't sound good, but for somewhat different reasons (to me this new place is much more Taco Bell than good Cali-Mex).

I don't care exactly which style of GOOD Mexican restaurant opens here, I would be happy with ANY style of GOOD Mexican restaurant! Including, Cali-Mex, Tex-Mex, Mex-Mex, New Mexico-Mex, whatever except Taco Bell Mex or Thai Mex.

Squid burritos? Guilty! They can be excellent! There is a place in Monterey California that is famous for them (some of the best squid in the world comes from there).

Do they serve them live or do they cook them first? Personally, I think they would be better alive and kicking......... :) And I just ate breakfast!

But I am with you, we are all getting to focused on "tags" like Tex-Mex, or Calif.-Mex, or Mex-Mex, etc.

Some of us have posted pictures of good food or mentioned good models (e.g., El Fenix and Joe T. Garcias in Texas). I think the owners or potential owners have their heads in the..........well.......let me be polite and say "sand."

We have already experienced Crap-Mex. Enough already!

I still think the first step might be to open a business in the back of a truck..........like you see in LA or other places........fresh tacos, burritos, and tamales made the right way.......if such a truck drove around Pattaya-Jomtien, loads of farangs would stop it and get the food.

But that is a good and profitable idea, so no doubt the Thai government would prevent it from happening.

How about a shrimp & avocado croissant?

How about a shrimp & avocado croissant?

Actually, the way things are going that will likely be on the menu of the next "Mexican restaurant."

I wonder how many non-US citizens (especially Russians and Germans and people from Scandinavian countries) are eating the Mexican food that is not Mexican food and thinking it is good Mexican food?

That might be the problem in Thailand, otherwise, most of the pretenders would be out of business by now. Most of the patrons have no idea what good Mexican food is supposed to taste like........the basic stuff.

I can't imagine Americans putting up with it.......or Mexicans.......or anybody from Central or South America.

Pattaya-Jomtien and sections of Bangkok used to be dominated by expats from the USA........no more.

shrimp & avocado croissant?

I don't think even Bulgarians would mistake that for Mexican food.

BTW, I had a peek at the Beefeater's weekend "Mexican" lunch buffet the other day (didn't eat there). I suppose its worth 250 baht, but BBQ chicken, ribs, and African stew at a Mexican buffet? Its just lazy. They have meat there, its a steakhouse. They could figure out a way to cook good Mexican style meats if they had any initiative. I am sick of the lame excuses ...

Pattaya-Jomtien and sections of Bangkok used to be dominated by expats from the USA........no more.

They had Mexican food back then, but it wasn't any good either. :)

A couple of my expats friends who have lived in Pattaya a long time told me there used to be at least one good Mexican place, run by a woman. Think they said it wasn't open every day....but when it was open it had good food and lots of expats. Sorry, can't remember her name or the name of the place.

I don't remember it at all.....been in and out of Thailand since 1986. Maybe it was before then.

Anyway, the past is the past and now is now and I am also "sick of the lame excuses." It is time for somebody to get serious about Mexican food...........same for Texas Smoked BBQ........yes, I know about the pretenders....sorry, I want Texas Smoked BBQ like back home.