Commuters Satisfied With Test Run Of Airport Link

george

Commuters satisfied with test run of airport link

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) began its trial run of the airport link railway Wednesday, connecting Makkasan railway station in Bangkok and Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Samut Prakan province.

A large number of the prospective passengers showed interest in traveling on the test run of the 28.6 kilometre route Wednesday, according to the authorities, but full-scale commercial operation is not expected until April next year.

SRT governor Yuthana Thapcharoen said that the test run on Wednesday went smoothly. He expressed confidence that it would be well used by commuters when it starts full operation.

Most passengers said the airport link railway was convenient, similar to the BTS Sky Train, but the airport link (Express Line) is faster taking only 15 minutes from Makkasan to Suvarnabhumi Airport. They said they will definitely use the airport link service when they travel to the airport.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-10-08

I went walking around the Petchaburi MRT station the other day to take a sneak preview at this new Rail Link Station. Huge disappointment: There's no walkable connection between the Petchaburi MRT Station and the Airport Link station, such that one is forced to take a Taxi to get to the Airport Link station. I thought the whole point of taking the Rail Link was to beat traffic! I can see the future traffic converging to the Airport Link station and jamming the whole area.

One will be forced to struggle with traffic before he can escape the city. That defeats the whole purpose. Sad.

Cars are not scalable

Trains / subways / skytrains are.

Ass-wise planning -- a rail link to an airport, in every case I've seen, connects to an existing commuter transit system. Maybe there was some lobbying effort on behalf of our beloved Bangkok taxi drivers. I saw the terminus station last year and thought "What the ... ?!"

It would be nice if we could list the buses that go to this station. I'll be in Bangkok toward the end of the year and will do some research into this.

I would think Victory Monument BTS might be a good try, because there is at least one bus that passes the new station from there en route to Ratchadamri (sorry, can't recall number, maybe 513).

Ass-wise planning -- a rail link to an airport, in every case I've seen, connects to an existing commuter transit system. Maybe there was some lobbying effort on behalf of our beloved Bangkok taxi drivers. I saw the terminus station last year and thought "What the ... ?!"

It would be nice if we could list the buses that go to this station. I'll be in Bangkok toward the end of the year and will do some research into this.

I would think Victory Monument BTS might be a good try, because there is at least one bus that passes the new station from there en route to Ratchadamri (sorry, can't recall number, maybe 513).

Phya Thai BTS station is right there, within 3 or 4 minutes walk, of the Makkasan Airport Express station.

There was talk earlier that they would open a walkway directly from the Airport express arrival platform to the ticket office level of the BTS Phya Thai station. In fact it would be very easy, and both the Airport express arrival platform and the BTS ticket office level are in fact the same level (distance up from the ground).

If this does eventuate the walking time from the end of the Airport express arrival platform to the BTS ticket office would be about 2 minutes or less.

There was also talk earlier about relocating the very old and run down Makksan station to be on the ground level of the new Airport Express station, to facilitate quick/easy transfer from the Airport Express to the old train system.

This would be a good idea, there must be some passengers who arrive into Thailand and then go upcountry using the old train system. (The very old Makkasan station is about 400 metres from the new Makkasan Airport Express station.)

Phya Thai BTS station is right there, within 3 or 4 minutes walk, of the Makkasan Airport Express station.

There was talk earlier that they would open a walkway directly from the Airport express arrival platform to the ticket office level of the BTS Phya Thai station. In fact it would be very easy, and both the Airport express arrival platform and the BTS ticket office level are in fact the same level (distance up from the ground).

If this does eventuate the walking time from the end of the Airport express arrival platform to the BTS ticket office would be about 2 minutes or less.

There was also talk earlier about relocating the very old and run down Makksan station to be on the ground level of the new Airport Express station, to facilitate quick/easy transfer from the Airport Express to the old train system.

This would be a good idea, there must be some passengers who arrive into Thailand and then go upcountry using the old train system. (The very old Makkasan station is about 400 metres from the new Makkasan Airport Express station.)

3 or 4 minutes from Makkasan to Phaya Thai, more like 20. I think you mean that the Phaya thai rail link station (the 8th and last station) is close to Phaya Thai BTS. In order to make that connection, one would need to take the local line.

The closest BTS to the Makassan station is Asoke. The MRT station Phetburi is a few 100 meters from Makkasan, I would be highly surprised if a underground walkway isn't provided in due time.

3 or 4 minutes from Makkasan to Phaya Thai, more like 20. I think you mean that the Phaya thai rail link station (the 8th and last station) is close to Phaya Thai BTS. In order to make that connection, one would need to take the local line.

The closest BTS to the Makassan station is Asoke. The MRT station Phetburi is a few 100 meters from Makkasan, I would be highly surprised if a underground walkway isn't provided in due time.

Lets hope there are plenty of motocy taxis available, a few 100 meters, didnt know Thais were capable of undertaking such treks.

I think most people that live around downtown will probably take the local form of this new line rather than the express line after a while, as it is cheaper, only 15 minutes slower, and is (almost) directly connected with Phya Thai BTS station.

It is possible to walk to Makkasan station from the Petchaburi MRT station, but you better have a backpack! :) I'm sure they'll eventually put in an excessively long walkway like the one connecting the MRT with the Hua Lamphong train station.

I think most people that live around downtown will probably take the local form of this new line rather than the express line after a while, as it is cheaper, only 15 minutes slower, and is (almost) directly connected with Phya Thai BTS station.

It is possible to walk to Makkasan station from the Petchaburi MRT station, but you better have a backpack! :) I'm sure they'll eventually put in an excessively long walkway like the one connecting the MRT with the Hua Lamphong train station.

Yes "local" people would indeed want to use the local line, even if it only runs twice an hour. I live quite close to Ramkhamhaeng station, and might even use it to get to Makassan (Asoke -Phetburi) instead of taking the boat along Saen Saeb, indeed if I am within the departure time of that train.

Edited by sjaak327

i thought the airport link was going to be an extension of the existing BTS system. what the f was i thinking! TIT

so now we have a one and bit line overground ground train, a one line underground train with a different ticket and a long walk between connections and now it sounds like another system for the airport link with its own ticket and not connected to the other 2 systems at all.

has any other major world capital got such a f'ed up public transit system?

maybe the idea is to create more bureaucracy and menial jobs?

i thought the airport link was going to be an extension of the existing BTS system. what the f was i thinking! TIT

so now we have a one and bit line overground ground train, a one line underground train with a different ticket and a long walk between connections and now it sounds like another system for the airport link with its own ticket and not connected to the other 2 systems at all.

Yep ! It makes you realise how powerful the taxi mafia is :D

Even the Aiport Bus is one the best kept secrets from tourists.

The try their hardest to make it as inconvenient as possible to us public transport :)

Does anyone imagine they'll use this link ??

I can't see myself or anyone else I know using it, especially not with baggage.

Why not I wonder, I thought the HKK airport express was excellent, and going to the airport you had the ability to checkin at the station. (something that they are planning to offer in BKK as well).

Getting to Makkasan isn't that difficult, especially when you are near any subway station. For some it might be just as quick to take a taxi though.

It is most uncomfortable to have to be walking around a lot with luggage. I would use it, but it has to get me to where I need to go or connect to something that will. That connection has to be fairly convenient. If it's a hassle, then I will take a taxi.

Yeah, that walk between Asoke BTS and MRT is just brutal. They should set up benches along the way so you can stop and rest.

Yep ! It makes you realise how powerful the taxi mafia is :D

Even the Aiport Bus is one the best kept secrets from tourists.

The try their hardest to make it as inconvenient as possible to us public transport :)

This has little to do with taxi mafia. The problem is that various parts of Bangkok mass transit are owned by different factions. Basically Bangkok owns the skytrain, goverment owns the subway and Thai railways owns this airport link. There are also privately owned riverboats and some bus services. Each party wants to have biggest piece of the pie and is unwilling to share revenue with others. That's why there is no real planning and co-operation in terms of lines, infrastructure, unified tickets, etc.

Thailand really needs to needs to take a lesson from China where a single entity (the city) manages all mass transport projects.

Should be easy to get to.

Get off at BTS Asoke, walk down to the escalator leading down into the Asoke MRT station. Buy a ticket for MRT Petchaburi station. (one stop). Get out at the exit nearest to the Airport link. Meander for 2 minutes. Bingo! You're at the Airport Station.

Have a nice day.

Thailand really needs to needs to take a lesson from China where a single entity (the city) manages all mass transport projects.

Isn’t communism wonderful? Probably the most successful form of government in history mankind

How easy people forget. :)

TH

Isn’t communism wonderful? Probably the most successful form of government in history mankind

How easy people forget. :)

TH

Communism is not a form government, it's a form of economy. And China abandoned communist economy long time ago, for example private ownership or property and companies (which is allowed in China) goes against the base principle of communism.

Using Google maps, and their distance measuring tool, and the location of the stations as indicated, here are the distances to Makkasan RR station:

Phaya Thai BTS 1.4km

Petchaburi MRT 1.9km

Asoke BTS 2.7km

Edited by bendejo

^ you might want to measure it again, no way that Phaya Thai BTS is 1.4 KM from Makkasan.

I measured it myself

Makkasan - Phaya Thai BTS 3 KM

Makkasan - Phetburi MRT 0.4 KM

Makkasan - Asoke BTS 1.6 KM

Edited by sjaak327