Thailand's Richest...

jasreeve17

I'm thinking about moving to your area to sully the neighbourhood. I might even buy myself a Jaguar to sully in style - do you have a foodland and / or villa close to home?

As soon as the missus' skin creams start working we'll fit in just fine...

All good, but I don't think any of that would help you.

:)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking about moving to your area to sully the neighbourhood. I might even buy myself a Jaguar to sully in style - do you have a foodland and / or villa close to home?

Maybe I'm not on the top 40 list, but being around affluent folk can't hurt me. It may well motivate me, inspire me, build my merit... :D

(Rich people have earned more merit than poor people haven't they?)

It appears ironic to some, but perhaps not to a Chinese / Thai landlord come sweatshop owner come tuktuk mafiosi, that the song for Thai nationalism and protectionalism is sung loudest by folks whose grandparents didn't speak Thai...

I'll take comfortable irony over apparent mediocrity any day.

And in the end, what can it be other than better karma... and likely God's will as well?

There is nothing wrong with protectionism, I would do the same thing. It is not racist or mean.

:D

Maybe I'm not on the top 40 list, but being around affluent folk can't hurt me. It may well motivate me, inspire me, build my merit... :D

(Rich people have earned more merit than poor people haven't they?)

Actually I think it could hurt you, perhaps irreparably. It might be like playing on the varsity squad with JV athletic ability. I've seen it before, it can get ugly.

I could go into hypothetical detail -along the lines of barely feasible house and car payments... and you buying the same Kraft Mac and Cheese and Raisin Bran you buy at Tesco Lotus, only at Villa Market instead... carefully but longingly avoiding the cheese/meat/and wine section- but perhaps easiest for you to reference The Simpsons "Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield" with you as Marge Simpson.

p.s. um, is it too much to assume, neighbor, that you do indeed own a dvd player... with a complete collection of mainstream movies, classic, and popular television shows from the last decade or so? :)

And then press for protectionist policies...

Ever been to a pro NFL or MLB game? Almost in every single game I've been to, no matter what the city, there are plenty of 'not in our house!' signs. Same concept. Do you have a lock on your front door? Do you welcome people parking in your driveway (pretend that your assigned parking space at your condo is a driveway for this example)? Same thing. Everyone protects their interests, it's just in this case, the whole country (and many countries in the region) is 'our house.'

that's complete and utter nonsense Sir!

this is the attitude of a loser who is jealous that someone else, usually from outside and is inherently better than them at something

and so, in order to address the balance of their perceived inadequacy they make raciest policy's which alienate the very people who helped make ( the place in question ) economically progressive .

One does not make a country better by insisting upon stupid law's that put unqualified people in positions that they haven't a clue how to do.

The interest should not be " oh well, he is than,one of us ( what does that mean exactly?) he obviously needs a hand, so lets give him a job he has'nt a clue how to do- and improve his/our lot"

It should be, lets get the best, and ask him to teach us.

Much better to put that revenue into education. Something sadly lacking here.

The progress( in money terms) of most south east Asian country's is being held back because of this nonsense.

The ecomic 'success" is due to western colonialism, both economic and full ( please do not doubt that Thailand was/is western colony)

And thanks to mass Chinese migration.

The British( and dutch) saw that native's of most of it's colony's and interest's were, not at that time, and very generally suited to economic progress.So they encouraged mass migration.

Now we see hong-kong, singapore, malaya ( despite some silly rules there) all doing rather well because of this.

Progress is possible with honestly.

Local's are not genetically, culturally disposed for economical "success" according to some theorys ( mckenna- I think he puts it very well, its delicate subject and I certainly do not mean to offend, but sometimes its necessary to call a spade a spade) that I choose to subscribe to.

However, by good educational policy's this can be addressed.

For everyone's good.

Ever been to a pro NFL or MLB game? Almost in every single game I've been to, no matter what the city, there are plenty of 'not in our house!' signs. Same concept. Do you have a lock on your front door? Do you welcome people parking in your driveway (pretend that your assigned parking space at your condo is a driveway for this example)? Same thing. Everyone protects their interests, it's just in this case, the whole country (and many countries in the region) is 'our house.'

that's complete and utter nonsense Sir!

this is the attitude of a loser who is jealous that someone else, usually from outside and is inherently better than them at something

and so, in order to address the balance of their perceived inadequacy they make raciest policy's which alienate the very people who helped make ( the place in question ) economically progressive .

One does not make a country better by insisting upon stupid law's that put unqualified people in positions that they haven't a clue how to do.

The interest should not be " oh well, he is than,one of us ( what does that mean exactly?) he obviously needs a hand, so lets give him a job he has'nt a clue how to do- and improve his/our lot"

It should be, lets get the best, and ask him to teach us.

Much better to put that revenue into education. Something sadly lacking here.

The progress( in money terms) of most south east Asian country's is being held back because of this nonsense.

The ecomic 'success" is due to western colonialism, both economic and full ( please do not doubt that Thailand was/is western colony)

And thanks to mass Chinese migration.

The British( and dutch) saw that native's of most of it's colony's and interest's were, not at that time, and very generally suited to economic progress.So they encouraged mass migration.

Now we see hong-kong, singapore, malaya ( despite some silly rules there) all doing rather well because of this.

Progress is possible with honestly.

Local's are not genetically, culturally disposed for economical "success" according to some theorys ( mckenna- I think he puts it very well, its delicate subject and I certainly do not mean to offend, but sometimes its necessary to call a spade a spade) that I choose to subscribe to.

However, by good educational policy's this can be addressed.

For everyone's good.

You're saying the people who control all of the wealth and make the laws lost their way to the top?

Funny that a winner complains about rules made by losers. If you're such a winner (or are smarter, faster, whatever), why don't you start winning already?

Which one is Heng?

Dropped out of the list after losing most of it in Baht-Rupiah speculation.

p.s. money means nothing if you aren't having fun on a day to day basis

Wow, you've had a physic change!

Not at all. I knew it from the time I was still in grade school and hadn't earned a nickel.

( please do not doubt that Thailand was/is western colony)

And of course you're going to provide some historical facts to back up this <deleted>?

Sir/madam

If you are able to keep things civil I may just do that.

However, please define what you call " evidence" before I do so as some people here claim that Lord buhhda was here because of some footprint!

So much of your requested evidence is either banned, suppressed, not believed.

Here one can not question certain institutions. How can one ever have an open discussion when some topic are not allowed?

Other's say thailand must be successful due to the evidence of new buildings going up all over.

However, in the past friend's of mine were warned from TV mod's on this.

People do like the truth.

Well, the people who feel put down.But lies and falsehoods do not progress anything.

The truth is that the whole of asia is a western colony, always has been really, they/we never left( I am not proud of this at all ).The west makes huge amounts out of asia and could bring it to its knees in seconds.

This has been done in the past.

They have bought Asia off and unfortunately it has not been difficult. The people who plams have been greased are the very ones who should be helping its people.

One Brit landed a long time ago.

He said " I want this" The answer came back ": you cannot have it"

He replied " who can I pay?"

A whole bunch of hands went up- all locals- all " names" .He got what he wanted! That is how it is.

I do not support it. In fact I am dead it against because it is uncontrolled capitalism when those raking in huge profits do nothing for the natives.

Lets start with the allies military action just after world war 2.

The allies offload many of its surplus ordinance ( bombs) onto bangkok.

This served to say

" you re ours- go against us again and we will level Bangkok".

The British also defined Thai boarders. Sent another garrison to destroy local troops in the south when the current king objected.This may be the cause of current troubles in the south because of ill advised boarders.

So, a country defined in its boarder and under threat of military and economic threat.

Is that proof? ( no such thing really as "proof" just certain facts that can only lead to one conclusion- hence the banning of certain info)

best wishes

bob

Wonder if you really want Thailand to progress like the above countries? Becareful of what you wish!!

These countries are way too expensive to lead a comfortable life. especially if you are on a puny pension.

All you need is a secret colonial password though and they secretly fill up your bank account with Baht, HK$, etc, + a humble thank you note. Heck, you don't even need to go down to immigration to get a visa like a peon every 90 days either.

***oops, and then you'd have to wake up***

strange Mr tax-sin is not listed :)

Like in many countries, but more so in Asia in general, once you're largely out of the stock market, you're off the radar. Thank almighty God.... or rather common sense and Confucian practicality.

Wonder if you really want Thailand to progress like the above countries? Becareful of what you wish!!

These countries are way too expensive to lead a comfortable life. especially if you are on a puny pension.

well, I would like thailand, and many other place to drop the fake pride for a start.

You can look past the facade, the lie's the hype and progress. Or not.

Pride should be based upon honesty, not changing things because of the perceived loss of face. Not of banning certain topic's. Not of having the most general's in the world despite never having won, nor faced a real war.

One ex- western official referred to them as the handbag army.

It hurts me when so many times I sit at a function and Thailand is like a joke.

I wonder if people are aware of this.

In so many ways it really can be looked upon as working lady of the west.

Bought, paid for , controlled, punished when naughty and made fun of !, Rich foreigners, not all of course use it and give little back .

This is not the way it should be at all.

Rich, take, take, take, and no give, they do as they like... when they like, I sat next to someone on the plane who laughed when I asked about his visa.

" visa, your in Thailand mate,thats my visa" he said showing his credit card! Shocking way to regard a country in which he was, at best, a guest. it would not happen if those at the top did not allow it.

is there really anyone who does not agree with this?

Thailand is mainly known for one thing- and that is not a cause of pride.

Whenever I take a taxi in europe/USA/Canada and the driver asks me where I came in from I say Thailand.

Most of the time the female pleasures are mentioned.

Nothing of the beautiful countryside , the food, the beaches but of impoversihed young ladys needing to sell themselves to survive.

I suppose I would like

all people here to have a chance at a good life, good school's, good medical facility's.

Singapore/malaya/hong-kong have all done very well on this.

Yeah, try Jamaica, Kenya, and Burma, some real economic powerhouses all owing thanks to the Brit system.

SG, Malaysia, and HK are successful because of the high % of quality Chinese and Indians. Thailand has to deal with a much larger and less gifted work force, much like the issue with Indonesia. It's only a matter of time though, and chances are just like the takeover of Thailand, no one will even notice since the Chinese again as mentioned typically become Thai first.

Edited by Heng

KUALA LUMPUR: Beverage baron Chaleo Yoovidhya is again Thailand's wealthiest person, with net worth unchanged at US$4 billion, holding on to the top spot for the third consecutive time.

"Well known for cofounding the energy drink Red Bull, the 77-year old tycoon's net worth stayed flat at US$4 billion during the year," according to the latest Forbes Asia Thailand Rich list issued on Sept 24.

However, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra saw his net worth reduced to US$390 million, down from US$400 million. He n was among the 19 on the list who saw their net worths decline this year

Forbes Asia said the combined wealth of Thailand's 40 richest also saw no change at US$25 billion. The country's wealthiest have proven to be resilient despite the global economic downturn and self-inflicted political instability that has seen five prime ministers in three years.

At No. 2 is Dhanin Chearavanont, head of agribusiness conglomerate Charoen Pokphand Group, one of the world's biggest feed and poultry companies.

Dhanin, who moved up the ranking two notches, is also the biggest gainer in dollar terms. His wealth

soared by a billion dollars to US$3 billion.

Other tycoons in the food and agriculture businesses also enjoyed gains in their net worths. Among them are sugar barons Isara Vongkusolkit (No. 8, US$900 million) of Mitr Phol Sugar and Nantha Chinthammit (No. 18, US$360 million) of Khon Kaen Sugar Industry, and seafood tycoon Kraisorn Chansiri (No. 28, $175 million).

However, Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi of Thai Beverage saw his net worth fall to US$2.8 billion from US$3.9 billion last year. Ranked fourth on the list, he also had the biggest decline among those on the list.

At No. 3 are descendants of Central Group's founder, Tiang Chirathivat, including families of his three wives and 25 children. Their combined wealth increased by US$100 million to US$2.9 billion.

Their shared net worth is largely derived from ownership of Central Retail and their 60% stake in listed developer, Central Pattana.

Thaksin remains at No. 16 with a net worth of US$390 million, down from US$400 million last year.

He was ousted in a 2006 coup and was convicted in absentia in October to two years in prison for violating conflict-of-interest laws when his now former wife purchased land from the government.

Also poorer is hospitality tycoon William E. Heinecke who dropped five places to No. 20 as his

wealth of US$350 million is US$110 million less than in 2008.

Political turmoil and a global recession have taken their toll on his business empire and personal net worth, but the irrepressible optimist travels on. "You learn through every crisis, every challenge," says Heinecke in the latest issue of Forbes Asia.

There are four new faces this year, led by long-time Thai resident Aloke Lohia. At No. 19, he is the highest ranking with a net worth of US$355 million. The 50-year old tycoon started Indorama Polymers which had US$1.2 billion in sales last year.

Other newcomers include Worawit Weeraborwornpong of Siamgas & Petrochemicals (No. 30, US$165 million) and lingerie magnate Virot Thanalongkorn (No. 35, US$130 million).

Both took their companies public last year before the markets tanked. The last newcomer is Pongsak Viddayakorn, board member of Bangkok Dusit Medical Services. Ranked No. 36, he is worth US$125 million.

The minimum net worth needed to make the list is US$85 million, up from US$70 million last year.

The full list of Thailand's richest is in the October 5 issue of Forbes Asia, which is available on newsstands now.

The top 10 richest in Thailand are:

1) Chaleo Yoovidhya; US$4 billion

2) Dhanin Chearavanont; US$3 billion

3) Chirathivat family; US$2.9 billion

4) Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi;US$2.8 billion

5) Krit Ratanarak; US$1.2 billion

6) Chamnong Bhirombhakdi; US$975 million

7) Praneetsilpa Vacharaphol; US$940 million

8) Isara Vongkusolkit; US$900 million

9) Vichai Maleenont; US$650 million

10) Anant Asavabhokin; US$500 million

Forbes Asia said to compile the list, public assets were calculated using share prices and exchange rates as of Sept 10.

For privately held wealth Forbes Asia estimated what they would be worth if public, using information from the Ministry of Commerce Thailand and other sources. This ranking, unlike the Forbes billionaire list, includes family holdings shared by individuals and their children, grandchildren and siblings.

Yeah, try Jamaica, Kenya, and Burma, some real economic powerhouses all owing thanks to the Brit system.

SG, Malaysia, and HK are successful because of the high % of quality Chinese and Indians. Thailand has to deal with a much larger and less gifted work force, much like the issue with Indonesia. It's only a matter of time though, and chances are just like the takeover of Thailand, no one will even notice since the Chinese again as mentioned typically become Thai first.

Glad you said Burma not that silly name Myanmar.

yes, you are right, under the brits it was a real powerhouse and its had many good institutions in place.

As is the case in most ex -colony there were two kinds of problems/factors.

One the west, usually the brits came.

The next, and far worse, they left!

It was like leaving a child all alone totally unable to fend for itself. Thailland never really had a parent. It was not wanted and served as launching pad for the west Asian plans.

And still does.

Therefore it was unable to reap any benefit's of direct colonialism and thus remains in the state it has been for many years.

A child like country so desperately in need of growing up and unable to face certain home truths.

Hence the censorship, corruption, and proud ability of being recognised as being one of the worlds biggest purveyor of young ladys.

The Brits left and,like so many places it went right down hill.

Its almost ironic that the person who had them leave was killed and her daughter is still in prison.

The pont is- all those place could be powerhouse's, as could Thailand.

And you are correct what you say about the Chinese and Indians, that's why the Brit's choose to allow mass migration.

You say about the Chinese here being Thai.

Many I know do not really fall into this way of thinking and sometimes the level of racism is shocking.

well, I would like thailand, and many other place to drop the fake pride for a start.

You can look past the facade, the lie's the hype and progress. Or not.

Pride should be based upon honesty, not changing things because of the perceived loss of face. Not of banning certain topic's. Not of having the most general's in the world despite never having won, nor faced a real war.

One ex- western official referred to them as the handbag army.

It hurts me when so many times I sit at a function and Thailand is like a joke.

I wonder if people are aware of this.

In so many ways it really can be looked upon as working lady of the west.

Bought, paid for , controlled, punished when naughty and made fun of !, Rich foreigners, not all of course use it and give little back .

This is not the way it should be at all.

Rich, take, take, take, and no give, they do as they like... when they like, I sat next to someone on the plane who laughed when I asked about his visa.

" visa, your in Thailand mate,thats my visa" he said showing his credit card! Shocking way to regard a country in which he was, at best, a guest. it would not happen if those at the top did not allow it.

is there really anyone who does not agree with this?

Thailand is mainly known for one thing- and that is not a cause of pride.

Whenever I take a taxi in europe/USA/Canada and the driver asks me where I came in from I say Thailand.

Most of the time the female pleasures are mentioned.

Nothing of the beautiful countryside , the food, the beaches but of impoversihed young ladys needing to sell themselves to survive.

I suppose I would like

all people here to have a chance at a good life, good school's, good medical facility's.

Err.......aren't you a little off tangent here? Perhaps time to start a thread "Thailand's pride and morality?"

Glad you said Burma not that silly name Myanmar.

yes, you are right, under the brits it was a real powerhouse and its had many good institutions in place.

As is the case in most ex -colony there were two kinds of problems/factors.

One the west, usually the brits came.

The next, and far worse, they left!

It was like leaving a child all alone totally unable to fend for itself. Thailland never really had a parent. It was not wanted and served as launching pad for the west Asian plans.

And still does.

Therefore it was unable to reap any benefit's of direct colonialism and thus remains in the state it has been for many years.

A child like country so desperately in need of growing up and unable to face certain home truths.

Hence the censorship, corruption, and proud ability of being recognised as being one of the worlds biggest purveyor of young ladys.

The Brits left and,like so many places it went right down hill.

Its almost ironic that the person who had them leave was killed and her daughter is still in prison.

The pont is- all those place could be powerhouse's, as could Thailand.

And you are correct what you say about the Chinese and Indians, that's why the Brit's choose to allow mass migration.

You say about the Chinese here being Thai.

Many I know do not really fall into this way of thinking and sometimes the level of racism is shocking.

So in other words, excuses for former colonies that are near failures and taking credit for successful former colonies, yes?

Sorry, don't know much about names. Is the top rich the owner of kathingdaeng energy drink?

He's a comfortable millionaire because of Krating Daeng, but a billionaire because of the hustle of his Austrian Red Bull partner, who peddles it all over the planet. I'm sure Khun Chaleo will probably be long gone and out of contact when one of Dietrich Mateschitz marketing blimps/jets/spaceships crashes into some city killing thousands (and Red Bull in the process) because the pilot had kidney failure from too much of the company product.