retiredat50

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it really this bad?

earthoria dot com/air-pollution-levels-in-chiang-mai-rising dot html

The short answer: No, it isn't.

The long answer: The website that you quote (earthoria[dot]com) is not something you should trust. I don't know who is behind it or his/her/their motives. This is, however, not the first time an article made up of insinuations, half-truths and lies is posted on the site.

An example: "In London, the United States and the European Union as a whole it is considered a serious pollution 'episode' if the PM-10 level exceeds 50". The author conveniently "forgets" to mention that the European Union standard ( http://ec.europa.eu/environment/air/quality/standards.htm ) also states that this level may be exceeded up to 35 times/year (i.e. about every tenth day) without this being considered in breach of the standard. The Thai standard, on the other hand, should never be exceeded, though of course it occasionally is. That the "London standard" is the same as the EU one is not surprising since the UK, including London, is a member of the EU :)

As for a PM<10 level being considered a serious pollution 'episode' in the United States, this is an outright lie. The US standard ( http://www.epa.gov/air/criteria.html#3 and http://www.epa.gov/air/particlepollution/standards.html ) sets the permissible limit at 150 µg/m3, i.e. three times what the author claims and 25% over the Thai standard ( http://www.pcd.go.th/info_serv/en_reg_std_airsnd01.html ).

Another example: "Last year [2007] the pollution levels got so high that literally thousands of people across Chiang Mai province were admitted to hospital with various respiratory illnesses – including Tina – and the government released a 24 hour emergency number for reporting the fires." This statement is actually true. However, not for the whole year but rather for a part of the month of March.

The author then goes on to quote a list (from the World Health Organisation) of yearly average pollution levels for a number of countries, implicitly comparing this to the Chiang Mai level for March 2007, the highest monthly average recorded this decade! This is a not uncommon, but nonetheless despicable, trick of demagoguery, mentioning two uncomparable facts together to create a non-existing contrast. The average pollution level for Chiang Mai this decade is 46.5 µg/m3, which does not compare that unfavourably with the WHO list.

Finally, it may be worth mentioning that the article is dated February 28, 2008. It is somewhat ironic to note that 2008 turned out to be the, pollution-wise, best year this decade with an average level of just 38.4 µg/m3!

So, what are the real facts? The following are two charts showing monthly average pollution levels for Chiang Mai and (1) some of the most and least polluted places in Thailand and (2) some popular "farang areas". The raw data comes from the Pollution Control Department website ( http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regional/Q...fm?task=default ):

post-20094-1255404423_thumb.jpg post-20094-1255404444_thumb.jpg

As one can easily see, March is usually a pretty bad time of year. On the other hand, for most of the rest of the year Chiang Mai is actually one of the least polluted places in Thailand.

My concusion would be: If you have a pre-existing respiratory condition you should avoid Chiang Mai during the month of March. If not, and during other times of the year, come and enjoy this wonderful city :D

/ Priceless

I have heard that besides farmers burning their field waste, the locals in Chiang Mai favour burning their rubbish instead of paying to bin it - so isn't very localised pollution, which may not show up for CM as a whole, also be a problem - like the next door neighbour producing smoke that wafts into your space? Just wondering.

There are plenty of members with the opposite point of view.

If we are to be fair, we have to admit that it bothers some people a lot and it hardly bothers others at all.

To me, it is only a very minor annoyance.

I guess as long as you don't know it's hurting you (like smoking), it can't be all that bad.

I'm sure, if some here were to cross the CM roads without looking at traffic and never got hit, they'd probably say, hey, it's safe to cross the streets in CM.

As they say, out of sight, out of mind. Ignorance is bliss. :)

edit: word correction

Edited by vagabond48

We are not going to live forever; we ride in dangerous vehicles every day and eat food that is contaminated with chemicals. One could be hit by a car or killed by a robber or have a hurricane or an airplane crash into your building at any given moment.

If you want to get paranoid about all of it, that is up you. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

We are not going to live forever; we ride in dangerous vehicles every day and eat food that is contaminated with chemicals. One could be hit by a car or killed by a robber or have a hurricane or an airplane crash into your building at any given moment.

It looks like the cool season is almost upon us so the 'It's raining' post will become obsolete for a few months, as fascinating as it was.

Now that we have a spell of glorious weather I wondered how long it would be before the 'Air polution' guys would be out again. I guessed it might be about mid January, but lo and behold here it is at the end of October!! 

Well, while you guys are having a good moan and debate the facts and figures, I'm going to be strolling the streets or running round a tennis court and enjoying every minute of it. 

I don't notice the pollution (espescially at this time of year) and I am untouched by the violent crimes of Chiang Mai.

On a seperate issue entirely, what do you think about my new 'shades'. They work a treat.

post-54542-1256621885_thumb.png

I have heard that besides farmers burning their field waste, the locals in Chiang Mai favour burning their rubbish instead of paying to bin it - so isn't very localised pollution, which may not show up for CM as a whole, also be a problem - like the next door neighbour producing smoke that wafts into your space? Just wondering.

In my neighbourhood they don't, we have a well functioning rubbish disposal service. I've also heard that they do burn it in some places, though.

Any additions to air pollution should however be avoided, since they obviously all add up. "All that goes up must come down."

/ Priceless

In my neighbourhood they don't, we have a well functioning rubbish disposal service. I've also heard that they do burn it in some places, though.

Any additions to air pollution should however be avoided, since they obviously all add up. "All that goes up must come down."

/ Priceless

Refuse collection fee is 20 baht per month in my soi in town so I don't think they're burning it to save money. Besides, I don't think the fee is optional. I've never seen the neighbours burning rubbish, but they do burn the dry leaves that they sweep up. Outside of Chiang Mai, many places don't have refuse collection. A Thai lady friend of mine lives in a village near Saraphee and she has her son bring her small bags of rubbish into town for disposal.

You are in: World: Asia-Pacific nothing.gifFront Page World blue_map.gifAfrica Americas Asia-Pacific Europe Middle East South Asia -------------From Our Own Correspondent -------------Letter From America UK UK Politics Business Sci/Tech Health Education Entertainment Talking Point In Depth AudioVideo nothing.gif

nothing.gif

commonwealth.gif

nothing.gif

sport.gif

nothing.gif

weather.gif

SERVICES nothing.gifDaily E-mailNews TickerMobiles/PDAsdotted_line.gifFeedbackHelpdotted_line.gifLow Graphicsnothing.gifFriday, 13 July, 2001, 17:36 GMT 18:36 UK Indonesia fires shroud region in smoke

_1437515_malaysia_haze300ap.jpg Indonesia has been urged to deal with the problem

After choking its neighbours with smoke, Indonesia is now going to host a four-nation meeting on 19 July, to seek solutions for forest fires raging on Sumatra and Borneo and the smoke that is driving up pollution in the region.

Singapore has officially complained to Jakarta over the haze, after its pollution index hit the highest level this year, a Singapore Government statement said.

startquote.gif

We are confident that it is not beyond the capacity of the Indonesian authorities to exercise greater vigilance and impose strict punishment on the culpritsendquote.gif

New Straits Times Singapore Environment Minister Lee Yock Suan has written his Indonesian counterpart to "convey our concern over the smoke haze situation", the statement said.

Attending the meeting in Jakarta next Thursday will be environment officials from Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei and Malaysia.

Singapore optimistic

"Our sense is that there is a commitment on their [indonesia's] part to actually deal with the fires," said Loh Ah Tuan, a director at Singapore's Ministry of the Environment.

Singapore's pollution level remained relatively low until Thursday, thanks to favourable winds that took the smoke from the Sumatra blazes elsewhere.

_1437515_malaysia_haze150ap.jpg

Areas of Malaysia are shrouded in smoke

It has not been as hard hit as parts of Thailand and Malaysia this week.

A Singapore meteorological official, Wong Teo Suan, told Reuters: "The situation will not change very much in what we're experiencing in Singapore - a slight to moderate haze - and I don't think it will deteriorate."

Malaysia hard hit

Central Kuala Lumpur in neighbouring Malaysia, however, is shrouded in smoke, obscuring the hills that ring the capital.

Malaysia's New Straits Times newspaper urged Indonesia to confront the issue of farmers starting fires deliberately to clear land for cultivation.

"We are confident that it is not beyond the capacity of the Indonesian authorities to exercise greater vigilance and impose strict punishment on the culprits," the newspaper said in an editorial on Friday.

In 1997, the region suffered a suffocating haze caused by Indonesia fires.

Indonesia has asked Australian fire-fighters to help put out the fires in Sumatra and Borneo.

nothing.gif Is this the smoke that Priceless was talking about in Phuket? :)

Apologies that I only just spotted this, 2001 data I see, trying to win a 2009 argument with 2001 info doesn't quite cut it I'm afraid UG but nice try.

Not paranoid my dear UG, just a bit enlightened. I, knowing the risks (breathing and collision), continue to ride my bicycle for my transportation. I have yet to have one auto accident in my over forty years of bicycling, but I wouldn't cavalierly tell people that riding a bicycle in CM, or much larger cities was as safe a baby laying in its crib.

Apologies that I only just spotted this, 2001 data I see, trying to win a 2009 argument with 2001 info doesn't quite cut it I'm afraid UG but nice try.

Do you think that they have solved this pollution problem somehow since 1991? It has happened more than once and it will very likely happen again. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Not paranoid my dear UG, just a bit enlightened.

I have found that it is not a good idea to pay a lot of attention to people who have to tell others that they are "enlightened". :D

Do you think that they have solved this problem somehow? It has happened more than once and it will likely happen again. :)

I'm unsure to be honest but it does seem as though you picked an extreme year and frankly, I've not heard anything since, who knows, maybe they have solved the problem and they just didn't let you know! More seriously however, given the impact and cause of the burnings on the economies of countries such as Singapore and Malaysia, it would not surprise me to learn that positive action was taken.

Indonesia smoke blankets region Large parts of Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore have been hit by smog from illegal bush fires burning on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo.

Visibility in parts of Borneo was reduced to 50m while Singapore recorded its worst pollution levels since 1997.

Flights were cancelled, cars put their headlights on in the middle of the day, and Singapore warned citizens against taking exercise outdoors.

Indonesians use the fires for land clearance despite a government ban.

Hundreds of fires

Visibility was down to 50m in Central Kalimantan, on Indonesia's part of Borneo island.

Environmental agencies reported from 500 to 2,000 fires burning in the flammable peat soils of the region.

"The worst situation is in Central Kalimantan now. Most areas in the province contain peat," Malaysian forest fire chief Purwasto told Reuters news agency.

"We cannot estimate the extent of the fires now."

Singapore's environment agency recorded a pollution index level of 128 early on Saturday and said satellite data showed 506 fires burning on Sumatra island.

The pollution index is the highest level seen in Singapore since smog covered the region in 1997, causing billions of dollars in damage and lost tourist revenue.

The index had been at 80 on Friday. Any level above 100 is considered harmful.

Plantations blamed

Indonesia has outlawed using fire for land clearance but the laws are widely flouted in remote areas of the country, and the government seems helpless to control the situation, says the BBC's Lucy Williamson in Jakarta.

Pungent smoke from the fires is an annual problem across south-east Asia during the dry season.

Farmers have traditionally used brush fires in agriculture, but environmentalists claim the problem has become more serious in recent years due to timber and oil palm companies clearing land for plantations.

"The fires are seasonal and very predictable, but the government never implements effective measures to prevent and manage them," Nordin, a spokesman for Indonesian environmental group Save Our Borneo, told AFP news agency.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/asia...fic/5415944.stm

Published: 2006/10/07 13:45:42 GMT

© BBC MMIX

As of 2006, Indonesia had not fixed anything.

Indonesia smoke blankets region Large parts of Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore have been hit by smog from illegal bush fires burning on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo.

Visibility in parts of Borneo was reduced to 50m while Singapore recorded its worst pollution levels since 1997.

Flights were cancelled, cars put their headlights on in the middle of the day, and Singapore warned citizens against taking exercise outdoors.

Indonesians use the fires for land clearance despite a government ban.

Hundreds of fires

Visibility was down to 50m in Central Kalimantan, on Indonesia's part of Borneo island.

Environmental agencies reported from 500 to 2,000 fires burning in the flammable peat soils of the region.

"The worst situation is in Central Kalimantan now. Most areas in the province contain peat," Malaysian forest fire chief Purwasto told Reuters news agency.

"We cannot estimate the extent of the fires now."

Singapore's environment agency recorded a pollution index level of 128 early on Saturday and said satellite data showed 506 fires burning on Sumatra island.

The pollution index is the highest level seen in Singapore since smog covered the region in 1997, causing billions of dollars in damage and lost tourist revenue.

The index had been at 80 on Friday. Any level above 100 is considered harmful.

Plantations blamed

Indonesia has outlawed using fire for land clearance but the laws are widely flouted in remote areas of the country, and the government seems helpless to control the situation, says the BBC's Lucy Williamson in Jakarta.

Pungent smoke from the fires is an annual problem across south-east Asia during the dry season.

Farmers have traditionally used brush fires in agriculture, but environmentalists claim the problem has become more serious in recent years due to timber and oil palm companies clearing land for plantations.

"The fires are seasonal and very predictable, but the government never implements effective measures to prevent and manage them," Nordin, a spokesman for Indonesian environmental group Save Our Borneo, told AFP news agency.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/asia...fic/5415944.stm

Published: 2006/10/07 13:45:42 GMT

© BBC MMIX

As of 2006, Indonesia had not fixed anything.

That's so sad, I'm pleased to say however that none of that reached Phuket or indeed Southern Thailand where the gentle offshore breezes make for good healthy living. BTW UG, only three months to go, where will you be heading come February, spending the burning season in Pattaya perhaps? :)

On a seperate issue entirely, what do you think about my new 'shades'. They work a treat.

post-54542-1256621885_thumb.png

They are kind of scary to me because they allow no peripheral vision at all.

They could be useful blinders for denying climate change or CM pollution, though.

• 2 months later...

I've been in Chiang Mai since early November and within the last two weeks I have been experiencing shortness or breath and difficulty when going jogging and biking. In fact, I only walk rather than jog now. I have been coming here for a couple of months since 2004, but this year is by far the worst. Anyone else having this experience?

I am returning to the USA in mid-February and plan on going to Hua Hin for about 10 days before catching my flight out of Bangkok. I heard that air quality is better there.

I've been in Chiang Mai since early November and within the last two weeks I have been experiencing shortness or breath and difficulty when going jogging and biking. In fact, I only walk rather than jog now. I have been coming here for a couple of months since 2004, but this year is by far the worst. Anyone else having this experience?

I am returning to the USA in mid-February and plan on going to Hua Hin for about 10 days before catching my flight out of Bangkok. I heard that air quality is better there.

I haven't noticed any increase this year, except in dust created by large construction projects. Apparently the government has no requirements for them to use water trucks for dust abatement. There are more vehicles on the roads here every year as well, and as a pedestrian I'm sure you'd be sensing that. The skies seem pretty clear so I haven't even looked at the PCD website yet this year to see what the readings are.

I agree with Winnie although "fine," as Winnie puts it, is quite relative. But then that gets into a lot of technical detail! Anyway, I hope that Larry will check out other possible causes as well. Although there was a "blip" in PM<10 reading in the last couple of weeks of December which seems to have reflected early rice straw burning (which you can definitely see on the ground), the air has been relatively clear. clear; I said relatively clear.

Any individual's sensitivity to air pollution varies, just as it does to cigarette smoke, asbestos or coal dust!

I agree with Winnie although "fine," as Winnie puts it, is quite relative. But then that gets into a lot of technical detail! Anyway, I hope that Larry will check out other possible causes as well. Although there was a "blip" in PM<10 reading in the last couple of weeks of December which seems to have reflected early rice straw burning (which you can definitely see on the ground), the air has been relatively clear. clear; I said relatively clear.

Any individual's sensitivity to air pollution varies, just as it does to cigarette smoke, asbestos or coal dust!

I think the little bastards wait until its hot and dry because it's easier to slash and burn then.

I flew around Doi Saket with CM Sky adventure a couple of years ago, when it was throat burning stuff, and there were small forest fires all over the place, as far as the eye could see.

By the time the old bill get there (if they are called and can be bothered to go), invariably the arsonists have fled.

Am I the only one who is slightly bemused by the number of people wanting to complain about CM pollution, when we are experiencing one of the best early January periods on record?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Priceless,

Yes.

best, ~o:37;

Well, maybe they could be in Australia right now, where there are mid-40 temps, and explosive wildfires.

Or perhaps the UK, where a brass monkey's ba_ls would fall off, from the sub-zero temps.

Or Beijing, where it is both so cold, and so polluted, that you scrape black frozen coal dust off your coat when you get home....

The Wheezing Whingers.... :D

Aka the Bubble Babies.... :)

Some people will never be happy, no matter where they are.

On Ko Phi Phi, they would complain about the coconut crabs, and the tsunami early warning tower's testing during their late afternoon nap, and the fact that EDGE is only downloading at 10 kbps. :D

Or you could live in Bangkok where you can wash downtcyour driveway every couple of days and watch a black tide finding its way down the drain. The burning off,in rural areas, is a problem but its not going to stop in the forseeable future. If you have a chronic resoiratory condition you may have to consider moving to the coast

Am I the only one who is slightly bemused by the number of people wanting to complain about CM pollution, when we are experiencing one of the best early January periods on record?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Priceless,

Yes.

best, ~o:37;

:)