Recommendations For Restaurants Selling Authentic Som Tum Bkk?

robbiq8

Having tried somtam in various parts of the country, I was interested to know of any good recommendations for restaurants in BKK. Once went to an Isaan place in a mall nr th us embassy which was really good. Cant remember name though - may have been annes or janes?!

If you really like Som Tam, rotten mud fish you are best going to one of the street stalls you will get the most authentic there.

Agreed. Wait till closing time at Soi Cowboy and just let the (leftover) girls from there lead you to the best Som Tam. :)

The mini night market restaurants in Sukhumvit soi 1 serve authentic, good and cheap Isaan food including decent som tum. If you want a bit more upscale (but not posh - sit on mats in a rustic barn with no aircon) try Vientiane Kitchen on Sukhumvit soi 36. Good Laos cuisine, which crosses over with Isaan food. Take repellant though - I don't usually attract mozzies, except at this restaurant; they seem to love lurking under those very low tables

The street vendors between Mo Chit BTS and Chatuchak market sell outstanding som tum at weekends. You can sit on the grass in the small park next door and make a picnic of it for an authentic Thai experience.

You need to take an Issan girl with you and ask to try the many different variants - most falang dislike the rotten mud fish and small crab varieties - too chem (salty); personally I prefer the sweet and sour version with peanuts - 'Damm Thai' I think it's called. Sorry that was probably preaching to the converted.

the normal kind with peanuts and a bit sweeter is som tam thai.

then there's som tam pooh -- with crab shells

som tam pala - the stinky kind

som tam kai kem -- with preserved egg

and on and on...

There's also a real restaurant (vs. stand or shop) in Siam Square that specializes in som tams.... It's usually packed with Thais... I believe on Siam Square Soi 4 or 5....

• 4 weeks later...

Jae Kee

Tel: 026558489

Open: 7 am to 9.30 pm

Delivers all over Bangkok. Delivery fee depends on distance from their shop.

They are very well known for their fried chicken.

I can also suggest the S&P somtam. It's always done with very fresh ingredients. Just make sure to ask for pet-pet or it will be too sweet and not spicy enough.

• 4 weeks later...
There's also a real restaurant (vs. stand or shop) in Siam Square that specializes in som tams.... It's usually packed with Thais... I believe on Siam Square Soi 4 or 5....

yup, if you want to go where the Thais go, this has to be the most popular som tam restaurant in BKK. It's called "Lan Som Tam Nua" on Siam square soi 4. Expect to wait in line, I've never seen it without one, but it's worth the wait. Here is the map.