Thefalang ~ Driver

thefalang

You all....came here for a reason...because the west is <deleted>$c%d. So you sit in your pretty villas with smug smiles and laugh about driving........how many of you have driven after 10 beers...complain for what? YOU WANT SPEED CAMERAS...........YOU WANT NO BEER AND STILL OVER LIMIT FROM YESTERDAY? look at the islands look at the blue lagoons........you want rules go HOME..........try congestion charges...try compulsory breath tests......Smugness stinks.......

I would gladly trade the loseness of enforcement to achieve the kind of driving standards and roads that we have in the west.. 100% sure..

My mates farang 15 y/o niece killed by a drunken Thai driver who used gov strings to try to get off etc etc etc. Good roads and nice cars and fast bikes are one factor why I am considering having a home in the west again, its so nice to drive among civilized drivers who behave in a predictable manner.

I addressed your statement and explained why it was, in my opinion, "laughable". Didn't you read the rest of the paragraph? The gist of my reply is that the Thais will, when useful or convenient, adhere to a more strict enforcement of rules than Western standards would dictate. The preoccupation with unrelated details, copies of documents, etc all create an illusion of accuracy and completeness (that in reality does not exist), but demonstrates their ability to adhere to a strict enforcement of protcol when they wish to...

Again, the following is my rationale why I disagree with your statement:

The Thais can be very "anal" about enforcement of the most petty, insignificant laws when it serves someone's agenda, is convenient and/or especially when applied to a non-Thai. Selective law enforcement is a whole other subject. I suggest you research the matter prior to making comments on this subject and/or live in Thailand for another 10 or 15-years.

Ok, let me expand my claim: Thailand is not ready for our 'western strict enforcement of traffic rules. After all, that is what we are talking about here, or not?

Feel free to "expand" your claim or "change" your claim anyway that makes you happy but my response was relevant in either case.

My statement and other comments regarding Thai law enforcement apply to all laws, including traffic laws. What I've described is a "mindset" that prevails throughout the entire Thai legal system.

That was not a change as you claim, but a clarification. We were talking about traffic, but somehow you did not understand that.

We disagree.

You all....came here for a reason...because the west is <deleted>$c%d. So you sit in your pretty villas with smug smiles and laugh about driving........how many of you have driven after 10 beers...complain for what? YOU WANT SPEED CAMERAS...........YOU WANT NO BEER AND STILL OVER LIMIT FROM YESTERDAY? look at the islands look at the blue lagoons........you want rules go HOME..........try congestion charges...try compulsory breath tests......Smugness stinks.......

I would gladly trade the loseness of enforcement to achieve the kind of driving standards and roads that we have in the west.. 100% sure..

My mates farang 15 y/o niece killed by a drunken Thai driver who used gov strings to try to get off etc etc etc. Good roads and nice cars and fast bikes are one factor why I am considering having a home in the west again, its so nice to drive among civilized drivers who behave in a predictable manner.

Agree 100%, though there are good and bad Thai drivers as well as good and bad farang drivers.

Western road rules and manners are often left behind when Mr Farang gets behind the wheel of a pickup, a Fortuner or any other car or bike for that matter. We have to go with the flow to a degree but I have seen some very dangerous driving by farangs.

Unlike many expats, I do not drink and drive. It's not a case of being worried about getting caught, it is down to the safety of myself, my passengers and other road users. Compulsory breath tests would be a good thing and should encompass everyone: farangs and Thais, including those with expensive imported cars with colourful numberplates.

I couldn't drink 10 beers if I tried and don't frequent the bar scene at all. It's almost sounds as if you've come to Thailand to drink lots of beer drive without the fear of a DUI (driving under the influence violation).

The traffic situation here is not a laughing matter (as you stated) but a matter of life and death, especially for many of my past friends who have returned home in an urn. Just wait until you're the victim of a serious traffic mishap and you'll change your tune. By the way, who's the one being smug?

By the way, breathalyzers are already being used in Phuket but typically only in the more upscale falang-oriented communities such Kamala, etc. The cameras are already being installed in many parts of Phuket...

I was busted for d&d a couple of years ago and it was a big wake up call, now I never have more then a couple of pints(4 beers) and drive, it is so cheap to have a driver and not ever having to think about the conciqueneces of the mad world we live in.

For sure we don't want the camaras but I sure don't want pi##ed up falangs in pick ups mowing down people, stop drinking 10 beers and driving or you will be going home as imigration can deport u for that one.

That was not a change as you claim, but a clarification. We were talking about traffic, but somehow you did not understand that.

We disagree.

Feel free to reword, modify, "expand" or "clarify" your claim but again, my response was relevant to traffic laws.